Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,350 members, 7,822,655 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:33 PM

The Positive Side Of Nnamdi Kanu’s Agitation On Nigeria Generally - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Positive Side Of Nnamdi Kanu’s Agitation On Nigeria Generally (543 Views)

Photos Of Nnamdi Kanu's House In Afaraukwu, Umuahia Ahead Of Parents' Burial / Go Home And Stop Your Hopeless Agitation’, Igbokwe Tells Nnamdi Kanu / Catholic Priest At Abuja Federal High Court For The Release Of Nnamdi Kanu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Positive Side Of Nnamdi Kanu’s Agitation On Nigeria Generally by RoyalUc(m): 10:43am On Jul 04, 2017
THE POSITIVE SIDE OF NNAMDI KANU’S AGITATION ON NIGERIA GENERALLY by Princewill.
The present state of things in the Nation has raised a lot of tension, questions and ‘think tank’ all geared towards finding a way to peacefully handle the agitating from NK and his IPOB.
For the lack of space and time, I will go straight to the topic before us and try very hard to be fair and objective in my presentation. Some of the positive effect of the agitation include;
1. Highlighting the consequences of injustice and inequality
Any society were people feel marginalized and cheated will definitely know no true peace. Injustice and inequality have been the other of the day in Nigeria and it has gone unchallenged for too long. In my opinion, the Igbos might be selfish and are probably overrating themselves in Nigeria. Nigeria as it stands today is ‘shared’ among the three major ethnic groups as if other tribes do not have a place in the Nation. However, NK’s agitation hinges on the perceived marginalization of the Igbos. He has cashed into the general ‘hatred’ for the Nigerian government to reach the heart of the people and this has brought to the fore the evil consequence of injustice and inequality in the Nation.
2. Highlighting the power of the people in governance
No doubt, the power of the people in Nigeria had been traded for ‘consumables’ and eroded to the point that those in governance had, overtime, wrongly believed they could do whatever they want and get away with it. But since the emergence of NK, the support he has garnered from the people at the grassroot has almost robbed not only the Eastern Governors of their influence, but also pushed the FRN to a tight corner. It would have been worst if NK were fighting for all Nigerians and not just for his people. His agitation has clearly shown the power belongs to the people and not the ‘power drunk’ leaders.
3. Awakening of the consciousness of the place of youths in society
Across the Nation and indeed African, there is a renewed consciousness of the place of the youths in society. Before now, government at all levels had been paying lip service to youth empowerment and involvement in government. As we speak, the ongoing AU summit was organized to discourse the empowerment and involvement of youths in governance.
I believe NK’s agitation and the massive followership he enjoys from the youths have made government at all levels realize that the youths may have been dormant for long but a little trigger (which they may have gotten in NK), could be dangerous. It is time therefore to look deeply into the possible ways of running a government of youth inclusiveness or risk a revolution the might sweep across the Nation.
4. Proven the fact that patience and tolerance have limit
Ordinarily, the goat does not bite but when pushed too far, could bite. The people had been patient with the government and have tolerated their ‘failures’ for too long. The present agitation is pulling so much influence, not necessarily because of NK’s personality but because the people had been pushed beyond their ‘elastic limits.’ Even our government can’t deny this fact anymore. Whatever group or organization we find ourselves, we must remember that there is a limit to what people can bear. In human relations, nothing is as dangerous as bottled-up but active negative emotions.
In conclusion, I have my reservations about NK and I don’t support his secession plan, but he deserves some commendation. His ability to know the right people to gather and the right way to reach their hearts and hold them together is commendable. Also, his agitation has shaken Nigeria to her root and the government, I believe, now knows they can’t hold the people to ransom again.
History won’t forget him but if I were him, I will listen to the various calls from other groups and soft pedal now, because no matter how strong a man may be, he can’t succeed when the people start leaving one after the other. It is easier to win a battle in a ‘wider space’ than in a ‘chocked space.’ An enemy outside is easier to defeat than an enemy within.
Let’s look at our strengths and the things that bind us together as we strive to overcome our weaknesses and eradicate those things that pull us asunder!

(1) (Reply)

Magu: Malami’s Statement Distorted, Says Presidency / Serious Threat : Nnamdi Kanu Threatens To Kill Obasanjo And Household / Where Is The President?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.