Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,021 members, 7,828,589 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:47 AM

Do You Know You Can Contest An Estimated Nepa Bill? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do You Know You Can Contest An Estimated Nepa Bill? (24779 Views)

Estimated Billing: NERC To Sanction EKEDC, 6 Others / How A Customer Stood His Ground Against Outrageous NEPA Bill. / Buhari Using NEPA Bill As Secondary School Certificate - Femi Fani-Kayode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Know You Can Contest An Estimated Nepa Bill? by laudate: 4:27pm On Jul 04, 2017
ritux:
I totally agree with you but it is not that easy bro.

1. They will cut/disconnect your light without you knowing. Even if you are at home,they will tell you to go settle with their superiors in the office as they are working under instructions.

2. The people you are reporting to are so corrupt that they wont listen to you and will frustrate you. The district Discos are being given certain target by their Area Managers to refund a certain amount every month that is why some estimated bills are so high. The excess will be shared among themselves (Area Manager, commercial manager and any other smart ''eye when see''.

3. The Discos will tell you meters are not available so they will continue bringing their outrageous estimated bill.

4. You will be forced to pay something before they reconnect you while the dispute resolution process is ongoing because you don't want to be in darkness and the cost of running your gen is high.

You see, it is not that easy.

You are quite correct and you're talking from experience, bro'. wink I too have gone through all what you wrote up here....
Re: Do You Know You Can Contest An Estimated Nepa Bill? by just2endowed: 4:27pm On Jul 04, 2017
this country ehhh.
Re: Do You Know You Can Contest An Estimated Nepa Bill? by COdeGenesis: 4:28pm On Jul 04, 2017
THERE IS A CLAUSE. yOU HAVE TO BE A GOOD CUSTOMER WHO MAKES PAYMENT REGULARLY BEFORE THEY CAN REPLACE TRANSFROMERS FOR U
Re: Do You Know You Can Contest An Estimated Nepa Bill? by Okies27(m): 4:36pm On Jul 04, 2017
Story story... It's been 2yrs of darkness for us cos we took BEDC to court to enforce our right. This only happens in a zoo.
Re: Do You Know You Can Contest An Estimated Nepa Bill? by laudate: 4:37pm On Jul 04, 2017
COdeGenesis:
THERE IS A CLAUSE. yOU HAVE TO BE A GOOD CUSTOMER WHO MAKES PAYMENT REGULARLY BEFORE THEY CAN REPLACE TRANSFROMERS FOR U
The DISCOs do not obey their own clauses. angry Go and check. And one transformer services several houses. Are you telling me that every single house on a particular street, will not make regular payment to cover their electricity bills?
Re: Do You Know You Can Contest An Estimated Nepa Bill? by Yampotatocarrot(m): 4:38pm On Jul 04, 2017
I don't really have any problem with whether they bring d light or not, cos I don't hopeon them to do so. My major problem is when they say a cable has been stolen in d transformer, n then ask every Street to contribute. D annoying part z when t now becomes a reoccurring issue.
Re: Do You Know You Can Contest An Estimated Nepa Bill? by badsaint(m): 4:44pm On Jul 04, 2017
This transformer issue in Nigeria is gradually becoming a business investment.

Some fool who had the God-given privilege of being the first Home owner in a street paid for the connection and the transformer in front of his house.

He then requested that anyone who is to connect electricity from his transformer is to pay 400,000 Naira to him before such connections can be made.

Whereas as at the time he purchased the transformer it was actually less than 3million plus the installation an estimate of 4million, and more than 20 houses use his transformer.

20 times 400,000 equals 8,000,000. That's profitable investment
Re: Do You Know You Can Contest An Estimated Nepa Bill? by VictorEkwere: 4:44pm On Jul 04, 2017
hpaje:
It's so annoying that most people don't even know their rights since NEPA/PHCN became a private owned entity. People are still of the mindset that when the transformer spoils, they should contribute and fix it; but that mindset should be washed away. If the Private company want to make money, let them fix it themselves. Apart from the MD (Maximum Demand) customers who have been mandated by NERC(Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission) not to pay their bills until they are metered, Do you know you can CONTEST AN ESTIMATED BILL with your DISCO?
[flash=200,000]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYOB6PkF7gk[/flash]

In case you don't know your rights, here they are.

1. All new electricity connections must be done strictly based on metering before connection. That is, no new customer should be connected by a DisCo without a meter first being installed at the premises.
2. All customers have a right to electricity supply in a safe and reliable manner.
3. All customers have a right to a properly installed and functional meter.
4. All customers have a right to properly informed and educated on the electricity service.
5. All customers have a right to transparent electricity billing.
6. All Un-metered customers should be issued with electricity bills strictly based on NERC’s estimated billing methodology.
7. It is the customer’s right to be notified in writing ahead of disconnection of electricity service by the DisCo serving the customer in line with NERC’s guidelines.
8. All customers have a right to refund when over billed.
9. All customers have a right to file complaints and to the prompt investigation of complaints.
10. All complaints on electricity supply and other billing issues are to be sent to the nearest business unit of the DisCo serving the customer.
11. If a complaint is not satisfactorily addressed, customers have a right to escalate the issue to the NERC Forum Office within the coverage area of the DisCo.
12. Customers have the right to appeal the decision of the NERC Forum Office by writing a petition to the Commission.
13. It is the customer’s right to contest any electricity bill.
14. Any un-metered customer who is disputing his or her estimated bill has the right not to pay the disputed bill, but pay only the last undisputed bill as the contested bill go through the dispute resolution process of NERC.
15. It is not the responsibility of electricity customer or community to buy, replace or repair electricity transformers, poles and related equipment used in the supply of electricity.
we just started having light after close to two months without light this was due to the fact that our transformer was vandalized and the inn cable was stolen which cost us about 600k plus to place it PHCN did not do any thing so we gat to contribute and replaced the cable last week before we started having light this country is a mess

Please do not allow people rob you of your hard earned money!!
Re: Do You Know You Can Contest An Estimated Nepa Bill? by OShepherd: 4:54pm On Jul 04, 2017
Similar to Nigeria constitution grin grin grin
hpaje:
It's so annoying that most people don't even know their rights since NEPA/PHCN became a private owned entity. People are still of the mindset that when the transformer spoils, they should contribute and fix it; but that mindset should be washed away. If the Private company want to make money, let them fix it themselves. Apart from the MD (Maximum Demand) customers who have been mandated by NERC(Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission) not to pay their bills until they are metered, Do you know you can CONTEST AN ESTIMATED BILL with your DISCO?
[flash=200,000]

1. All new electricity connections must be done strictly based on metering before connection. That is, no new customer should be connected by a DisCo without a meter first being installed at the premises.
2. All customers have a right to electricity supply in a safe and reliable manner.
4. All customers have a right to properly informed and educated on the electricity service.
6. All Un-metered customers should be issued with electricity bills strictly based on NERC’s estimated billing methodology.
7. It is the customer’s right to be notified in writing ahead of disconnection of electricity service by the DisCo serving the customer in line with NERC’s guidelines.
9. All customers have a right to file complaints and to the prompt investigation of complaints.
10. All complaints on electricity supply and other billing issues are to be sent to the nearest business unit of the DisCo serving the customer.
11. If a complaint is not satisfactorily addressed, customers have a right to escalate the issue to the NERC Forum Office within the coverage area of the DisCo.
12. Customers have the right to appeal the decision of the NERC Forum Office by writing a petition to the Commission.
14. Any un-metered customer who is disputing his or her estimated bill has the right not to pay the disputed bill, but pay only the last undisputed bill as the contested bill go through the dispute resolution process of NERC.
15. It is not the responsibility of electricity customer or community to buy, replace or repair electricity transformers, poles and related equipment used in the supply of electricity.

Re: Do You Know You Can Contest An Estimated Nepa Bill? by laudate: 5:01pm On Jul 04, 2017
badsaint:
This transformer issue in Nigeria is gradually becoming a business investment.

Some fool who had the God-given privilege of being the first Home owner in a street paid for the connection and the transformer in front of his house.

He then requested that anyone who is to connect electricity from his transformer is to pay 400,000 Naira to him before such connections can be made.

Whereas as at the time he purchased the transformer it was actually less than 3million plus the installation an estimate of 4million, and more than 20 houses use his transformer.

20 times 400,000 equals 8,000,000. That's profitable investment
Why call him a f00l? He did not force anyone to connect to the transformer, did he? shocked And he spent money buying & installing the transformer, without collecting a dime from anyone on the street, didn't he? Don't forget that after connection, the continuous maintenance & servicing of that transformer becomes his responsibility. Even if the DISCOs offer to help, it would not be regular. Those who chose to hook up to his transformer, could easily have contributed money among themselves to also buy their own transformer, not so? undecided
Re: Do You Know You Can Contest An Estimated Nepa Bill? by Mcreloaded(m): 5:10pm On Jul 04, 2017
That's how they said bail is free
My brother so far it is government don't bother to fight the fight
Re: Do You Know You Can Contest An Estimated Nepa Bill? by Beetee1(m): 5:11pm On Jul 04, 2017
[quote author=hpaje post=58119619]
Please rephrase this statement in opposite word and you will thank me later.

1 Like

Re: Do You Know You Can Contest An Estimated Nepa Bill? by Xkalaban(m): 5:16pm On Jul 04, 2017
Nice one OP. Our ppl perish from ignorance. The oppressive nature of virtually all institutions in 9ja has robbed the ppl of the awareness to always exercise their rights. God help us.....
Re: Do You Know You Can Contest An Estimated Nepa Bill? by Chitumu: 5:29pm On Jul 04, 2017
MirJay:
undecided . Can we really exercise such rights in Nigeria? I think the Op just wanted giving us hope, lost hope.

Tho am very happy for the improvement in light frequencies over here in Abj and am willing to pay what ever it costs to have a steady AEDC light.

Am also shouting out to Mr Fashola for proving he is not a one time wonder, thank u sir for all u have done.

But to Mr Buhari all i have to say is Ubanka!!!
please atleast thank buhari for appointing fashola. Then post the nationwide achievment of your grandfather or told who your father is in your community.
Re: Do You Know You Can Contest An Estimated Nepa Bill? by francisbiz: 6:22pm On Jul 04, 2017
OShepherd:
Similar to Nigeria constitution grin grin grin
BEDC, especially the Asaba branch, is the worst and most corrupt and most inefficient DISCO in Nigeria.
It is taboo for BEDC Asaba to take meter reading, they have refused distribute prepaid meter.
They even billed me N30,000 for a three bedroom flat in a month that we did not use any power, because the transformer did not work.
Asaba BEDC prefers to collect bribe at the threat of disconnection, to metering customers and paid officially.

They are the worst discos

2 Likes

Re: Do You Know You Can Contest An Estimated Nepa Bill? by bareal(m): 6:32pm On Jul 04, 2017
Keneking:
Source?

15. It is not the responsibility of electricity customer or community to buy, replace or repair electricity transformers, poles and related equipment used in the supply of electricity. undecided undecided undecided

- When you spend all your salary buying fuel and still pay estimated billing..you shall understand grin

My guy e no dey work in Naija ...our transformer got bunrt somewhere in Ondo State and we were in darkness for one and half yrs. When we got tired, we contributed money to replace and BEDC also billed each building 5k each before connection.
We are in a lawless country...despite our noise, dem just dey look us like mumu...say when we need light we go cooperate.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Know You Can Contest An Estimated Nepa Bill? by bareal(m): 6:39pm On Jul 04, 2017
smartty68:
As I speak right now, my solar panel is at the top of my head where ever I go, since our area transformer got bad they've never made any attempt fixing it even with the series of complains. I've been without light for a month plus now. PHED is a disappointment, Nigeria is a disagrace on the surface of the universe.

OP thank you for trying to gimme hope but no hope

Your own good! We were witnout power for over a year. We had to contribute to purchase transfomer when we got tired.

To connect the transformer by BEDC, that one na another story for another day.

Thank you! Over and out!

1 Like

Re: Do You Know You Can Contest An Estimated Nepa Bill? by sanusikebbe(m): 7:01pm On Jul 04, 2017
Estimated billing in this country is already a daylight robbery to one's hard-earned money
Re: Do You Know You Can Contest An Estimated Nepa Bill? by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jul 04, 2017
Op, which continent are you from? If you can answer that then I will know what to say....disco ko pisco no mtchew
Re: Do You Know You Can Contest An Estimated Nepa Bill? by Nwanna2588: 7:25pm On Jul 04, 2017
I thought it was helpful but it is not helpful.
Re: Do You Know You Can Contest An Estimated Nepa Bill? by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jul 04, 2017
lol argue with them if you want them to disconnect your line while your neighbors enjoy light. you will later come to their office and beg
Re: Do You Know You Can Contest An Estimated Nepa Bill? by edlion57(m): 8:02pm On Jul 04, 2017
This is good news
Re: Do You Know You Can Contest An Estimated Nepa Bill? by mascot87(m): 8:16pm On Jul 04, 2017
hpaje:
[flash=200,000]

How can I make a report? My community was billed 600k to buy a cable by PHCN officials

1 Like

Re: Do You Know You Can Contest An Estimated Nepa Bill? by sainty2k3(m): 8:17pm On Jul 04, 2017
I've tried this before. Looooong thing
Re: Do You Know You Can Contest An Estimated Nepa Bill? by mechanics(m): 9:53pm On Jul 04, 2017
How many of the bills have been contested, the law is just there but not being implemented.
Re: Do You Know You Can Contest An Estimated Nepa Bill? by hpaje(m): 10:26pm On Jul 04, 2017
mascot87:

How can I make a report? My community was billed 600k to buy a cable by PHCN officials

You can walk into the nearest NERC office near you to make your or check their website for more info
Re: Do You Know You Can Contest An Estimated Nepa Bill? by laudate: 10:39pm On Jul 04, 2017
francisbiz:
BEDC, especially the Asaba branch, is the worst and most corrupt and most inefficient DISCO in Nigeria.
It is taboo for BEDC Asaba to take meter reading, they have refused distribute prepaid meter.
They even billed me N30,000 for a three bedroom flat in a month that we did not use any power, because the transformer did not work.
Asaba BEDC prefers to collect bribe at the threat of disconnection, to metering customers and paid officially.

They are the worst discos
You are talking about BEDC. Come to Lagos and stay under EKEDC otherwise known as Eko Disco. sad You will swear for them every single day of the year, when you see the size of their estimated bill. Meanwhile, they are experts at sharing more darkness, than light...

1 Like

Re: Do You Know You Can Contest An Estimated Nepa Bill? by Rainmaker69(m): 4:12am On Jul 05, 2017
I totally agree. The biggest travesty is that most people don't even realize that the distribution and generation functions of phcn now run as private companies. unfortunately, I know a community that's not had power for 3 months now because the people there have refused to contribute to fix their transformer. smh.
Re: Do You Know You Can Contest An Estimated Nepa Bill? by francisbiz: 9:50am On Jul 05, 2017
laudate:

You are talking about BEDC. Come to Lagos and stay under EKEDC otherwise known as Eko Disco. sad You will swear for them every singe day of the year, when you see the size of their estimated bill. Meanwhile, they are experts at sharing more darkness, than light...
Our govts do not care about us!
Re: Do You Know You Can Contest An Estimated Nepa Bill? by upuphim(m): 1:08pm On Jul 05, 2017
@Op, NERC gave Disco a bad methodology for estimated billing. Check out my Disco (IEDC) reply to crazy billing on my meter of 2 bedroom flat which makes me to pay the same amount with any meter using 4 airconditioners whereas I have none.

In response to your billing complaint.
An analysis of the account reveals that your bills were computed based on Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC)’s approved estimated billing methodology which is determined through the amount of energy delivered to the distribution transformer serving your premises with the period of power outage factored. Hence, the billed amount varies monthly.

However, our mass metering exercise is ongoing in phases as every area covered by Ikeja Electric has been mapped out for the installation of the prepaid meter. Kindly exercise some patience for our metering team to get to the locality. Please note that meters are free and installed at no cost.

We apologize for any inconveniences this has caused you.

We are delighted to inform you of our convenient payment channels via NIBSS payment platform at the bank or Internet Banking, Ikeja Electric Recharge Vouchers either by SMS or Online using: www.iepins.com.ng, Ikeja Electric website using: www.ikejaelectric.com, POS terminals, Pawakad, BaxiBox and Interswitch.

Find below your query ticket number for future reference.

SR: 379400

IE, a commitment to quality service.

With Regards,

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:image001.jpg@01D01394.AF9DDB30
Customer Care Team
Ikeja Electric Plc
Obafemi Awolowo Way, Alausa, Ikeja, Lagos.
Re: Do You Know You Can Contest An Estimated Nepa Bill? by GreatManBee: 10:23pm On Apr 15, 2018
hpaje:
[flash=200,000]

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Economy: Buhari Rejects IMF And World Bank Prescriptions / "FG Did Not Swap Boko Haram Prisoners For The 21 Chibok Girls" - Lai Mohammed / Confusion In Kogi APC As Faleke Insists He’s Governor-Elect

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.