Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:18 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (158) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2063093 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) (160) (161) ... (1694) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 3:38pm On Jul 30, 2016
chris81964:

Here is another one. We did an installation in Ilorin. The client hired someone to perform service on the batteries. He poured out all the electrolyte and refilled it. He broke the battery switch and they hired an electrician to perform repairs. Look at the pictures and don't laugh too hard. He told them that the blinking AC light meant an air conditioner was on in one of the rooms. He had to bypass nepa because his connection crested problems. First two pictures are him. The last one is us.

Can I ask why is there Inverter generator changeover in the last picture ? The Conext SW has a separate DC panel and optional charge controller with GEN input in . In fact the correct way to do a clean job will be to use Conext SW charge controller , DC breaker and connect generator start to inverter . Right now the customer is spending more than half a million on inverter and getting a 200 K inverter function

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dreamflyin(m): 3:45pm On Jul 30, 2016
DMerciful:
Its not well installed else it will last the whole night. Be specific on what 30% load means. How many wattage of load? Or what's the capacity rating of ur inverter? On sunny days what's the average charging current at noon day you've observed? These questions will help De know what's wrong with ur system.

Load should be around 700-800w.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 3:53pm On Jul 30, 2016
U'll need to buy an mppt charge controller. Get any of the guru in d house to help u reinstall ur system
Dreamflyin:

Load should be around 700-800w.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dreamflyin(m): 3:57pm On Jul 30, 2016
NaijaWindSolar:

What's the size of the load that you are running? Because that will help to properly diagnose your situation. Without use, you should get about 75% battery charge daily. If your consumption exceeds production, then there will be nothing left to go into your batteries.

Remember that the worst months for solar harvest are from April to September. So knowing your load size is really important?

Also is your charge controller MPPT?

Not MPPT charge controller.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 4:50pm On Jul 30, 2016
DMerciful:
U'll need to buy an mppt charge controller. Get any of the guru in d house to help u reinstall ur system

Yes simply contact me for brand new mppt solar charge controllers with LCD display ranging from ep ever 12/24v 40a(100vdc max) , ep ever 12/24/36/48v (150vdc max) , fangpuson 80a (150vdc) etc ,, all at very affordable prices .. Thanks !
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JohnKester: 4:53pm On Jul 30, 2016
Dreamflyin:

From experience and from what I can see and taking into consideration all that has been said so far, those two devices called charge controllers are your biggest problem. They are not doing their work and the sooner you change them and have a 'real' professional reinstall your system, the sooner you will have a functional system and be happy.

A friend of mine contracted a 'professional installer' who supplied everything needed including a charge controller that was not in the list of the options he gave. At first my friend was excited and was almost insisting that I use the same guy to do my own. I did not agree and went ahead after serious research gathered all the components I needed and got an installer I could direct to do the installation. It was only when my setup came online that my friend realised that his system was not performing optimally and already one of his batteries was going dead. I eventually convinced him to replace his charge controller with the brand I was using and when he did, the difference was as night is from day. Meanwhile he just realised that what I had always told him was true, that his charge controller had never, since the system was setup, charged his batteries full, so the batteries were gradually dying out.

The moral of the story is this, you need not be a professional. But you should not be afraid to research the subject in question and arm yourself with as much information as you can such that if you were to DIY the system, you will make very few errors. Also research the pitfalls others had experienced and how they solved them. At the end of the installation, you will be better off for it.

Always bear in mind that EVERY SOLAR SETUP IS AS GOOD AS THE CHARGE CONTROLLER. Spend a million bucks on an inverter, another two million on batteries and a million on panels and top grade of all other components... and install a scrap charge controller, your setup would be scrap. In other words, the charge controller is one single most important component that should be top grade even if you cannot afford top grade in the other components.

Cheers.

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 4:54pm On Jul 30, 2016
Dreamflyin:

Yes simply contact me for brand new mppt solar charge controllers with LCD display ranging from ep ever 12/24v 40a(100vdc max) , ep ever 12/24/36/48v (150vdc max) , fangpuson 80a (150vdc) etc ,, all at very affordable prices .. Thanks !
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Push2Succeed(m): 4:55pm On Jul 30, 2016
earthrealm:

The most popular gel batts in naija are the 2v 500ah /800ah batt/cell.
they are sold for 20 to 30k used...and 38 to 50k brand new.

Are these recent prices? Abeg more info...
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 4:57pm On Jul 30, 2016
JohnKester:

From experience and from what I can see and taking into consideration all that has been said so far, those two devices called charge controllers are your biggest problem. They are not doing their work and the sooner you change them and have a 'real' professional reinstall your system, the sooner you will have a functional system and be happy.

A friend of mine contracted a 'professional installer' who supplied everything needed including a charge controller that was not in the list of the options he gave. At first my friend was excited and was almost insisting that I use the same guy to do my own. I did not agree and went ahead after serious research gathered all the components I needed and got an installer I could direct to do the installation. It was only when my setup came online that my friend realised that his system was not performing optimally and already one of his batteries was going dead. I eventually convinced him to replace his charge controller with the brand I was using and when he did, the difference was as night is from day. Meanwhile he just realised that what I had always told him was true, that his charge controller had never, since the system was setup, charged his batteries full, so the batteries were gradually dying out.

The moral of the story is this, you need not be a professional. But you should not be afraid to research the subject in question and arm yourself with as much information as you can such that if you were to DIY the system, you will make very few errors. Also research the pitfalls others had experienced and how they solved them. At the end of the installation, you will be better off for it.

Always bear in mind that EVERY SOLAR SETUP IS AS GOOD AS THE CHARGE CONTROLLER. Spend a million bucks on an inverter, another two million on batteries and a million on panels and top grade of all other components... and install a scrap charge controller, your setup would be scrap. In other words, the charge controller is one single most important component that should be top grade even if you cannot afford top grade in the other components.

Cheers.

That's the point ! Kudos ....

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Push2Succeed(m): 4:58pm On Jul 30, 2016
Anyone with updated prices for good quality solar panels? Especially 250W Mono and 300W Mono?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by anochuks08(m): 5:16pm On Jul 30, 2016
kiekie1:

I never receive ur reply concerning the panels sir. What are the prices of different brands of 250w mono panels you have as well as prices of 40a mppt charge controller.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 6:19pm On Jul 30, 2016
anochuks08:
I never receive ur reply concerning the panels sir. What are the prices of different brands of 250w mono panels you have as well as prices of 40a mppt charge controller.

250w mono panel consignment will arrive soon.. Kindly call for detailed price as prices are unstable for now .. My mobile numbers are 24/7 available for clients to call ... Thanks !
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 7:00pm On Jul 30, 2016
pranil:

Can I ask why is there Inverter generator changeover in the last picture ? The Conext SW has a separate DC panel and optional charge controller with GEN input in . In fact the correct way to do a clean job will be to use Conext SW charge controller , DC breaker and connect generator start to inverter . Right now the customer is spending more than half a million on inverter and getting a 200 K inverter function
Very intelligent question.
The reason is to allow us to bypass the inverter if we have a problem or need to service it. The SW has an optional AC breaker panel. It cost over 100k. The changeover is less than 10k. We used individual breakers in addition to the change over to arrive at the same result.
Schneider does not make it mandatory that you use their controller. I used an 80 amp FM that cost half of what the 80 amp Schneider controller costs. The generator start works if your customer has a generator that can be started by remote contact.

FYI. Here is the wholesale prices of the items you mention
2524 N393k
AC Panel / breaker N94k
DC Panel / Breaker N88k
80 amp C/C N392k
Gen start N50k.

Retail price is higher.
I saved my customer N450k by being creative and accomplishing the same thing. But I am sure you have a better idea. Please share so that I can try it.

Thank you for the lecture though.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by xreakz(m): 6:59am On Jul 31, 2016
Hello everyone,
I need to get a smart charger 24V with 40A or more for a gel battery
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 11:22am On Jul 31, 2016
chris81964:

A new client of ours got the same from another installer same controller.
It is a pwm controller. Good for small systems under 500 watts.
I am going to guess that each 1000 watts gets its own controller. Problem with pwm is cloudy weather and low battery voltage.
Let's say that the panels are putting out 10 amps and your battery voltage is 22. Your 1000 watts I'd only putting out 220 watts. Same situation with an MPPT controller. It will step down the voltage and increase the current. The same conditions now you will have your 1000 watts producing a minimum of 396 and as much as 500 watts.
The pwm is leaving between 176 and 280 watts. This makes a huge impact in your batteries getting charged.
See pictures of the controller and what passes for wiring.

Kindly explain the above quote. My presumption is, charge controllers don't create power. Let me put it this way, energy generation by the panels would be the same in both scenarios hence overall power (assuming low light conditions). The difference should be in output voltage and current, not overall power (again, assuming low battery charge). My understanding is, the greatest difference would be while trying to charge a nearly full bank under low light conditions.

No harm meant, just clarification .
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 11:30am On Jul 31, 2016
Saipro:

Kindly explain the above quote. My presumption is, charge controllers don't create power. Let me put it this way, energy generation by the panels would be the same in both scenarios hence overall power (assuming low light conditions). The difference should be in output voltage and current, not overall power (again, assuming low battery charge). My understanding is, the greatest difference would be while trying to charge a nearly full bank under low light conditions.

No harm meant, just clarification .

No offense or harm created. I highlighted the differences between pwm and mppt controllers.
The reference point was the post by @dreamflygn. Two kw in panels and two pwm controllers.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 12:09pm On Jul 31, 2016
chris81964:

No offense or harm created. I highlighted the differences between pwm and mppt controllers.
The reference point was the post by @dreamflygn. Two kw in panels and two pwm controllers.

While not fully understanding you, I admit to distrusting the twin PWM setup. Not that quality of PWM in the least. I'll bring up my point later under clearer examples.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 12:50pm On Jul 31, 2016
The mppt is designed as a DC to DC converter hence excess voltage can be converted to current at the output of the controller. In order words, the efficiency of the mppt which is way higher than the pwm controller makes the difference.
Saipro:

While not fully understanding you, I admit to distrusting the twin PWM setup. Not that quality of PWM in the least. I'll bring up my point later under clearer examples.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 8:05pm On Aug 01, 2016
chris81964:

Very intelligent question.
The reason is to allow us to bypass the inverter if we have a problem or need to service it. The SW has an optional AC breaker panel. It cost over 100k. The changeover is less than 10k. We used individual breakers in addition to the change over to arrive at the same result.
Schneider does not make it mandatory that you use their controller. I used an 80 amp FM that cost half of what the 80 amp Schneider controller costs. The generator start works if your customer has a generator that can be started by remote contact.

FYI. Here is the wholesale prices of the items you mention
2524 N393k
AC Panel / breaker N94k
DC Panel / Breaker N88k
80 amp C/C N392k
Gen start N50k.

Retail price is higher.
I saved my customer N450k by being creative and accomplishing the same thing. But I am sure you have a better idea. Please share so that I can try it.

Thank you for the lecture though.

I agree with you the price is on high side but you pointed out clean installation hence my opinion. I did not want to critisize but merely point out the issues with the installation Not many people realize the modern inverters like schinder or SMA are different utilizing AC coupling compared also to DC coupling only , and by not using this functionality the advantage of using a such a inverter is lost .

F.y.i. I am using a cheap but reliable china made gen controller with home hooked system to switch on my 5 KVA gen based on time of thh day and battery condition cost me less than 100 USD total plus cabling .

I have modified my system to avoid the small gen going to house or inverter by coupling the output of gen through a 3 KW DC power supply set at 54.3 V feeding into batteries effectively isolating the critical parts of my house from NEPA .

|So my system functions exactly reverse of that you have designed NO changeover at all infact no interruption to power unless the system is taken offline for maintenance. in such a case I by pass the inverter circuit to grid /main gen by using changeover cicuit

wbr

Anil

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 12:47pm On Aug 02, 2016
pranil:

I have modified my system to avoid the small gen going to house or inverter by coupling the output of gen through a 3 KW DC power supply set at 54.3 V feeding into batteries effectively isolating the critical parts of my house from NEPA .

Interesting thoughts...
I am currently in the process of upgrading my setup, but torn between ac coupling it with a grid-tie inverter or buy a hybrid inverter.

Can you post a block diagram of your setup?

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 2:37pm On Aug 02, 2016
pranil:

|So my system functions exactly reverse of that you have designed NO changeover at all infact no interruption to power unless the system is taken offline for maintenance. in such a case I by pass the inverter circuit to grid /main gen by using changeover cicuit

wbr

Anil

The changeover in our system installation is used only if the inverter is needed to be taken offline.
Your system and the work you have done is impressive. The inverter that you use has an auto gen start function.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 3:17pm On Aug 02, 2016
kiekie1:
Must Power Star Light inverters
1kva-12v=80k
1.5kva-12v=95k
3kva(2000w)-12v=100,000
3kva(2000w)-24v=130,000
4kva(3000w)-24v=140,000
5kva(4000w)-24/48=200,000
6kva(5000w)-24/48= 230,000
7.5kva(6000w)-24=250,000

Hybrid inverters with inbuilt PWM controllers
7.5kva-48v=290,000
5kva-48v=250,000
4kva-24v=220,000
3kva-24v=190,000
Hybrid Inverter with inbuilt MPPT control
12KW-48v=870,000

EP Solar 12/24/36/48v 60a mppt(i tracer) solar charge controller @ 140k

EP Solar 12/24v 40a MPPT(a series ep ever) solar charge controller @ 65k

Fangpuson MPPT 80a solar charge controller .....@ 170k

Trojan 12v 205a USA batteries @ 95k...(limited quantity in stock)

Quanta Amaron 12v 200a vrla battery @ 110k

With 35k , I can offer you the most important pro solar roof mounts including ;
2 qty solar mount rail "4200mm" ,
4 qty rack end clamp,
6 qty mid clamp,
6 qty L feet with rubber & special screw....

Same goes to angle positioning solar kits;
- Adjustable front leg
- Adjustable rear leg
- Rail splice kit
- Grounding lug

*AUTHORISED DEALER PRAGMATIC TECHNOLOGIES*
All our prag / cyberpower products comes with reliable warranty

*AUTHORIZED DEALER INDIAN INVERTERS / BATTERIES ... GENUS , LUMINUOS , EPSILON PRODUCTS*
All our products come with 1 year Warranty

*AUTHORIZED DEALER SOLAR SHOP LTD PRODUCTS*
All our products come with 1 year Warranty

For best affordable prices,proforma invoices valid for just 1 week, contact Smartcell Global Services,Lagos Nigeria. Simply call Sir Frankie "08135031951" for purchase,fast delivery and waybills .. Thanks !!

Recently offloaded solar panels ;
FLAMES 130w mono panels ......@ 40k
CSUN 200w mono panels ........@57k

MY HOME 150w poly panels........@40k
MY HOME 250w poly panels.......@70k "limited stock"
MY HOME 300w poly panels........@75k "limited stock"

2 Shares

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 9:30am On Aug 03, 2016
kiekie1:

Recently offloaded solar panels ;
FLAMES 130w mono panels ......@ 40k
CSUN 200w mono panels ........@57k

MY HOME 150w poly panels........@40k
MY HOME 250w poly panels.......@70k "limited stock"
MY HOME 300w poly panels........@75k "limited stock"

I directed a friend to call you for 2 of the 200w. He is based in lagos. He wants to know sizes and price for dc breakers?

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 12:52pm On Aug 03, 2016
Barezzi:

Interesting thoughts...
I am currently in the process of upgrading my setup, but torn between ac coupling it with a grid-tie inverter or buy a hybrid inverter.

Can you post a block diagram of your setup?

You cannot do AC coupling with Grid Tie inverter. For one it is illegal currently till NERC releases Net metering regulation and grid code for distribution is updated( atleast 3-5 years away) . Hybrid inverter with SOLAR or battery priority is your best bet .
I tried to sketch something very fast see if it is legible .

I am always updating my system to play with it . Apart from the main equipment I do have remote monitoring of inverters , Remote AH display, Small generator power quality ( V,F,A,Pf,t ) etc. so check the performance.

My next step is to take the remaining 1 KW panels to roof with separate CC . Waiting for the aluminum prices to come down.

The only mechanical component is the ATS switch and generator - I use the ATS to supply the optional load like washing machine or dryer in case of emergency ( most of the May and june) which are 2.5 KW each .

Please let me know what you are trying to supply and I can suggest a optimal setup

wbr

Anil

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 1:06pm On Aug 03, 2016
pranil:

You cannot do AC coupling with Grid Tie inverter. For one it is illegal currently till NERC releases Net metering regulation and grid code for distribution is updated( atleast 3-5 years away) . Hybrid inverter with SOLAR or battery priority is your best bet .
I tried to sketch something very fast see if it is legible .

I am always updating my system to play with it . Apart from the main equipment I do have remote monitoring of inverters , Remote AH display, Small generator power quality ( V,F,A,Pf,t ) etc. so check the performance.

My next step is to take the remaining 1 KW panels to roof with separate CC . Waiting for the aluminum prices to come down.

The only mechanical component is the ATS switch and generator - I use the ATS to supply the optional load like washing machine or dryer in case of emergency ( most of the May and june) which are 2.5 KW each .

Please let me know what you are trying to supply and I can suggest a optimal setup

wbr

Anil

My next project is to replace the batteries on the critical inverter with ultra capacitors to avoid continuous cycling

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 2:39pm On Aug 03, 2016
bigrovar:

I directed a friend to call you for 2 of the 200w. He is based in lagos. He wants to know sizes and price for dc breakers?

Thanks very much , am grateful ! Yes I just supplied him the 200w csun mono panels and DC breakers . I will supply remaining accessories ; solar cables ,enclosure box, MT50 remote set up display"0n request " etc prior to installation date .. Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 12:54am On Aug 04, 2016
Call us for your solar/inverter installations on 08117398294
Or email Info@monzpowersolutions.com
You can also like our fbook page
Facebook.com/monzpowersolutions for installation pictures and tips on solar power. Thank you

Enjoy the green life, worry less about power
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 3:10pm On Aug 04, 2016
Anybody stocking Roof mount aluminium members and clamps in Abuja . I have unusual requirement and would like to see the items first before I buy

wbr

Anil
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 6:37pm On Aug 04, 2016
Lovely setup Pranil.
Been tinkering with my proposed setup, and finally came up with the attached.
I have no plans to sell to the grid or go fully off grid.

Supply to the 2nd essential load panel will be controlled by my battery SOC.
Have a look and lemme know your thoughts.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by obimind(m): 9:39pm On Aug 04, 2016
bodejohn:
Celebrating the goodness of renewable energy at my crib...

Two unbroken years of noiseless and pollution free power ssupply and...

One solid year of uninterrupted power supply...

Now I'm giving my testimony o eh eh eh...
I tap into ur testimony.

(1) (2) (3) ... (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) (160) (161) ... (1694) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: QuoteJust1nce, data123(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.