Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,124 members, 7,818,369 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:47 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (161) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2064311 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (158) (159) (160) (161) (162) (163) (164) ... (1695) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 9:24am On Aug 18, 2016
anochuks08:
I am talking of battery connection. let's say a 24v inverter and the owner wants to connect up to 10, 20 or even more batteries in series n parallel to increase power, is there a maximum number of allowed parallel connection?
Brother, avoid parallel connections as much as you can. They always turn out to be not worth the trouble. The cost (In wiring, etc) of having a decent parallel connection to ensure each battery in the bank get equal amount of charge makes it not worth it. Also because you are dealing with very high amp getting breakers for the system is another hassle. Even when all said and done you manage to achieve a setup that ensures all the batteries get equal charge (not an easy fit) The internal chemistry of each bank would still make it so that each battery gets charged differently. The result is the bank would likely die before it's time.

Secondly the size of wiring you would require would be huge in other to avoid voltage loss. Lastly when a battery in the bank goes south, it would be hard to notice because the other batteries would cover for it. So if a battery goes bad and voltage drops to 10.5v no way of knowing this. (Unlike a series connection where the drop in voltage would force the bank nominal voltage down and can easily be spotted.

alternative:

As suggested, go for higher voltage. so instead of connecting 4 batteries in parallel for a 12 or 24v system. Go for a 48v system.

If you most use a 24v system and still require more power. Then your best bet are OPzV batteries. This batteries come in small voltage high Amp type. like 2v 500AH. they are available in Nigeria and are mostly used by telcos. 12 of them connected in series gives you a 24v 500AH system.

cheers

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by anochuks08(m): 10:21am On Aug 18, 2016
bigrovar:

Brother, avoid parallel connections as much as you can. They always turn out to be not worth the trouble. The cost (In wiring, etc) of having a decent parallel connection to ensure each battery in the bank get equal amount of charge makes it not worth it. Also because you are dealing with very high amp getting breakers for the system is another hassle. Even when all said and done you manage to achieve a setup that ensures all the batteries get equal charge (not an easy fit) The internal chemistry of each bank would still make it so that each battery gets charged differently. The result is the bank would likely die before it's time.

Secondly the size of wiring you would require would be huge in other to avoid voltage loss. Lastly when a battery in the bank goes south, it would be hard to notice because the other batteries would cover for it. So if a battery goes bad and voltage drops to 10.5v no way of knowing this. (Unlike a series connection where the drop in voltage would force the bank nominal voltage down and can easily be spotted.

alternative:

As suggested, go for higher voltage. so instead of connecting 4 batteries in parallel for a 12 or 24v system. Go for a 48v system.

If you most use a 24v system and still require more power. Then your best bet are OPzV batteries. This batteries come in small voltage high Amp type. like 2v 500AH. they are available in Nigeria and are mostly used by telcos. 12 of them connected in series gives you a 24v 500AH system.

cheers
Thanks boss. Duly noted. I really appreciate your input. I ve lot of work to do on my battery bank. if I have a bad battery (I actually have one in the bank) that drops to like 10.5 and other batteries cover for it that I don't even notice it, is it bad for the bank?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Konnektions146(m): 11:31am On Aug 18, 2016
anochuks08:
Thanks boss. Duly noted. I really appreciate your input. I ve lot of work to do on my battery bank. if I have a bad battery (I actually have one in the bank) that drops to like 10.5 and other batteries cover for it that I don't even notice it, is it bad for the bank?

It will eventually drag others down.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by temizeee(m): 12:43pm On Aug 18, 2016
bigrovar:

alternative:

cheers
bros shey u dey do freelance shaa.. U dey write ooooo... Kip up d gud work!

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by anochuks08(m): 5:22pm On Aug 18, 2016
Konnektions146:

It will eventually drag others down.
Thanks mahn
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 5:53pm On Aug 18, 2016
anochuks08:

Of cause it is effectively the same as mixing old batteries with new.. the bad battery becomes a load on the good one. Draging it down.. ( the good one starts to charge the bad one till they too become over discharged after a while.. they lose ability to fully charge)
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 5:54pm On Aug 18, 2016
anochuks08:

Bros. I just dey give back to the community ooo. I learned so much from niggas on here so givibg back is the least I can do.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 8:29pm On Aug 18, 2016
Hello house, what is the AH as seen by 24V input inverter in each of the following case:
1) 2 200AH 12V batteries connected in series to make it 24V
2) 12 200AH 2V batteries connected in series to make it 24V
?

Which is a better setup in terms longevity of the battery and efficiency?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JohnKester: 10:08pm On Aug 18, 2016
mank1234:
Hello house, what is the AH as seen by 24V input inverter in each of the following case:
?

Both will give you the same 200AH.
Option 2 will have better performance, efficiency and longevity as long as your charging setup is adequately sized to give the batteries sufficient charging. In other words, it would be more demanding to charge the 2V 12 batteries. But you will have a very good setup too. Of course provided the system is not overloaded.

Cheers
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 4:21pm On Aug 19, 2016
Goodday all just to give an update on my solar setup. Thread has been a bit too quiet.

8 Yingli Green Energy 250W PV Module(2000W)
4 Solar World 255w (1020w)
1 Outback Solar Charge Controller 80A
1 Outback Inverter Charger 3000 Watt 48VDC VFX 4028

8 Mercury flooded tubular Batteries 220Ah
1 10 Kva Prag servo stabilizer
1 BLS desulphator 48 v
1 battery kill isolator switch
1 trimetric 2030
1 Lightning Arrestor
1300 midnite solar A. C surge arrestor
1 300 midnite solar D. C surge arrestor
Various Solar Accessories

Total Price:

I am a complete novice in this how I was able to set this up was what I gleaned from here then gathered all the accessories over a period of about 2years.

To this end let me hail all that have contributed to this thread but most especially GeorgeD1 who invaluable early contributions really pushed me down this line. Though it seems he no longer active on the forum and to Chris81964 whose background advise has been invaluable.

I also give a shout out to all the suppliers of my solar items namely CoOgumo,Richmon,Gennextec, and the one and only Chief Marketer Kiekie cheesy I will say that I have never met anyone of them in person and we have transacted seamlessly as payment is made and items sent no long story. Anyone can deal without fear.

Though a novice let me give a little advise if it can help anyone. Start small as you will be discouraged if you try to buy everthing at once.

For the inverter please go for the high end products Magnum, Scheinder,outback,victron,SMA, as all the ogas in the house use them so that should tell you something.

Do not buy the cheap Chinese,Indian and Korean inverters. If constrained by funds go for Prag or Voltron.
For the charge controller also go high end if possible with Outback,magnum midnite solar, morningstar etc. Being the top brands.

For Batteries I prefer flooded due to its resilience and particularly for the ones I am using the electrolyte indicator is a God send as you can easily see when the cells need topping off (newbies take note) . Good value for money.

A word if caution if you are using flooded batteries u should note that the popular Axpert inverter is limited to 58.4 charge which will undercharge flooded batteries and will kill them. It also cannot equalize flooded batteries you will need a good quality CC to perform that for flooded batteries. I know because that was my 1st inverter before I now went for the Outback. Also note some branded inverters advertised I see here are Axperts so you have to know the right questions to ask. That been said it served its purpose for me and now will dispose it or keep it as my back up inverter for when there is any issue with the Outback.

I strongly recommend that you protect your system from lightening strikes by using surge protectors on both the A. C and D. C sides of your system. Thank me later

Please do not ask me any technical issue as I just got the items and paid for installation.

Also do not ask for price as with the fluctuating dollar rate prices are totally crazy now so whatever I tell you will not be correct as of today. If you do not believe me agree for an order with Kiekie and you do not transfer immediately by the time you come back after a week you go know say khaki no be leather. grin grin grin grin

Solar is the only way to go as in the long run it is cheaper than the unreliable grid which makes running g generators very expensive

As a whole get the correct information before you start. My last word of advise change all yr light bulbs to low wattage LED bulbs. You will thank me later.

Installer are still tidying up the install. Will post the internal set up later.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by learnae: 5:18pm On Aug 19, 2016
Can i run two 100ahm battery on Luminous 875VA/12V Bravo Inverter
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 6:10pm On Aug 19, 2016
learnae:
Can i run two 100ahm battery on Luminous 875VA/12V Bravo Inverter
please go and read this thread from page 1 it will help you
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by durodee(m): 6:48pm On Aug 19, 2016
I am now thouroughly confused. I had a lightning strike again today. MY SUKHAM 12V INVERTER ATTACHED TO A BATTERY BUT NOT SWITCHED ON OR CONNECTED TO THE HOUSE IN ANY FORM CAUGHT FIRE!!! IT WAS A COMPLETE STAND ALONE SYSTEM, REDUNDANT AND NOT IN USE IN ANY FORM. What to do now o

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by iLoveTheSun(m): 6:53pm On Aug 19, 2016
@DUNKA

Nice setup!

And a very good choice of components (-> Solarworld + Outback + Flooded batteries + Surge arrestor + Desulphator). I guess, you will be happy for a long time (and make some folks jealous in the house cheesy)
Either you were professionally consulted or you knew what you wanted. (And this demands some $$$)

Yes, I do agree. Solar is the best way to go!
Keep in mind. Good quality solar modules will last 25 years. Low quality modules can "break"/"burn" within five years. The difficulty is you only know when sh:t happens or it doesn't. But then it is too late, right?!

God bless...

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by iLoveTheSun(m): 7:01pm On Aug 19, 2016
Oh, and I think you seem to be the first one here in the thread who got both sides protected! Which comes not cheap.
AC and DC oversurge protection as well as ligthning protection. .. well done smiley

(-> make sure that your P/E ground wires [yellow/green] on the DC side has the same or bigger gauge than the sum of all solar cables coming from the roof! 2 x 6 mm2 solar cable = 12 mm2 -> take 16 mm2 for P/E ground wires; otherwise your surge protectors can't get the lightning energy rid off fast enough!)
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 7:29pm On Aug 19, 2016
Lovely setup....waiting for internal pics. U should disconnect public power completely with this setup grin
I use the mopower Indian inverter and the epever and zenith deep cycle batteries and a small disulphator. Modest system I've been enjoying like say tomao nor dey cheesy
Currently 750w ie 250w*3 but may upgrade as necessary.
DUNKA:
Goodday all just to give an update on my solar setup. Thread has been a0818 529 6057 bit too quiet.

1 BLS desulphator 48 v
1 trimetric 2030
1 Lightning Arrestor

Total Price:

I am a complete novice in this how I was able to set this up was what I gleaned from here then gathered all the accessories over a period of about 2years.

To this end let me hail all that have contributed to this thread but most especially GeorgeD1 who invaluable early contributions really pushed me down this line. Though it seems he no longer active on the forum and to Chris81964 whose background advise has been invaluable.

I also give a shout out to all the suppliers of my solar items namely CoOgumo,Richmon,Gennextec, and the one and only Chief Marketer Kiekie cheesy I will say that I have never met anyone of them in person and we have transacted seamlessly as payment is made and items sent no long story. Anyone can deal without fear.

Though a novice let me give a little advise if it can help anyone. Start small as you will be discouraged if you try to buy everthing at once.

For the inverter please go for the high end products Magnum, Scheinder,outback,victron,SMA, as all the ogas in the house use them so that should tell you something.

Do not buy the cheap Chinese,Indian and Korean inverters. If constrained by funds go for Prag or Voltron.
For the charge controller also go high end if possible with Outback,magnum midnite solar, morningstar etc. Being the top brands.

For Batteries I prefer flooded due to its resilience and particularly for the ones I am using the electrolyte indicator is a God send as you can easily see when the cells need topping off (newbies take note) . Good value for money.

A word if caution if you are using flooded batteries u should note that the popular Axpert inverter is limited to 58.4 charge which will undercharge flooded batteries and will kill them. It also cannot equalize flooded batteries you will need a good quality CC to perform that for flooded batteries. I know because that was my 1st inverter before I now went for the Outback. Also note some branded inverters advertised I see here are Axperts so you have to know the right questions to ask. That been said it served its purpose for me and now will dispose it or keep it as my back up inverter for when there is any issue with the Outback.

I strongly recommend that you protect your system from lightening strikes by using surge protectors on both the A. C and D. C sides of your system. Thank me later

Please do not ask me any technical issue as I just got the items and paid for installation.

Also do not ask for price as with the fluctuating dollar rate prices are totally crazy now so whatever I tell you will not be correct as of today. If you do not believe me agree for an order with Kiekie and you do not transfer immediately by the time you come back after a week you go know say khaki no be leather. grin grin grin grin

Solar is the only way to go as in the long run it is cheaper than the unreliable grid which makes running g generators very expensive

As a whole get the correct information before you start. My last word of advise change all yr light bulbs to low wattage LED bulbs. You will thank me later.

Installer are still tidying up the install. Will post the internal set up later.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 7:36pm On Aug 19, 2016
DUNKA:
Goodday all just to give an update on my solar setup. Thread has been a bit too quiet.

1 BLS desulphator 48 v
1 trimetric 2030
1 Lightning Arrestor

Total Price:

Nice one bro.. Yingli 250w × 8pcs, batteries , solar roof mounts ,trimetric 2030 et al neatly installed and all working real good . keep me posted for more business ... Cheers !
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 8:56pm On Aug 19, 2016
iLoveTheSun:
Oh, and I think you seem to be the first one here in the thread who got both sides protected! Which comes not cheap.
AC and DC oversurge protection as well as ligthning protection. .. well done smiley

(-> make sure that your P/E ground wires [yellow/green] on the DC side has the same or bigger gauge than the sum of all solar cables coming from the roof! 2 x 6 mm2 solar cable = 12 mm2 -> take 16 mm2 for P/E ground wires; otherwise your surge protectors can't get the lightning energy rid off fast enough!)

Lightening is a very high frequency phenomenon, it occur in less than 1milisecond. Size of cable does not really matter: 6mm2 is enough.Just follow the rule as stated in the link below:
http://www.electrical-installation.org/enwiki/Cabling_rules_of_Surge_Protection_Device

You can find other useful information concerning protecting your system on then right navigation link on the same page.

Regards.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 9:09pm On Aug 19, 2016
kiekie1:

Nice one bro.. Yingli 250w × 8pcs, batteries , solar roof mounts ,trimetric 2030 et al neatly installed and all working real good . keep me posted for more business ... Cheers !
the chief marketer. A friend who became a brother .

very aggressive in marketing. "abeg do transfer quick make I do ur weighbil sharply".

"abeg call me make we talk, I no get time for all your whatsapp wahala.. abeg send the money".

it pays to be good sir frankie. proud of you bro .

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 9:14pm On Aug 19, 2016
DUNKA:

1 BLS desulphator 48 v
1 trimetric 2030
1 Lightning Arrestor

Total Price:

Awesome job brother Dunka. I will be stopping by when I come to Plateau State. I expect a bowl of kunu. The person that did your panels did an awesome job. Those tubular batteries can get a real good charge. Change the charge current on your outback to be 13% of your total battery bank.
Your advice is invaluable and on the money.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 9:18pm On Aug 19, 2016
mank1234:
?

The cycle life on option 2 is much longer. The 2V has more lead will perform better and last longer.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 9:25pm On Aug 19, 2016
durodee:
I am now thouroughly confused. I had a lightning strike again today. MY SUKHAM 12V INVERTER ATTACHED TO A BATTERY BUT NOT SWITCHED ON OR CONNECTED TO THE HOUSE IN ANY FORM CAUGHT FIRE!!! IT WAS A COMPLETE STAND ALONE SYSTEM, REDUNDANT AND NOT IN USE IN ANY FORM. What to do now o
You need protection. The house can be a conductor. Have an avenue for the lightning to discharge through when it hits the building. Get a lightning protector for your inverter.
Shell out a bit more for a good system. Switched off from the inverter but was it off from the battery to the inverter?

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 9:26pm On Aug 19, 2016
iLoveTheSun:
@DUNKA

Nice setup!

And a very good choice of components (-> Solarworld + Outback + Flooded batteries + Surge arrestor + Desulphator). I guess, you will be happy for a long time (and make some folks jealous in the house cheesy)
Either you were professionally consulted or you knew what you wanted. (And this demands some $$$)

Yes, I do agree. Solar is the best way to go!
Keep in mind. Good quality solar modules will last 25 years. Low quality modules can "break"/"burn" within five years. The difficulty is you only know when sh:t happens or it doesn't. But then it is too late, right?!

God bless...

yes professionally advised that is key oh cool
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 9:39pm On Aug 19, 2016
chris81964:

Awesome job brother Dunka. I will be stopping by when I come to Plateau State. I expect a bowl of kunu. The person that did your panels did an awesome job. Those tubular batteries can get a real good charge. Change the charge current on your outback to be 13% of your total battery bank.
Your advice is invaluable and on the money.
my Oga I am loyal I can only tell the experience and truth cheesy
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 12:50am On Aug 20, 2016
DUNKA:

1 BLS desulphator 48 v
1 trimetric 2030
1 Lightning Arrestor

Total Price:

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 12:52am On Aug 20, 2016
Trimrtric and Surge protector to be installed tomorrow
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 3:16am On Aug 20, 2016
DUNKA:

1 BLS desulphator 48 v
1 trimetric 2030
1 Lightning Arrestor

Total Price:

you and Abu want make we thief?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 5:43am On Aug 20, 2016
JUO:
you and Abu want make we thief?
For where. Slow and easy wins the race cheesy
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 7:01am On Aug 20, 2016
DUNKA:

1 BLS desulphator 48 v
1 trimetric 2030
1 Lightning Arrestor

Total Price:

Twaile!!!! My dream setup right there. On the money on every levels. We sef go rich there cheesy
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by durodee(m): 7:12am On Aug 20, 2016
chris81964:

You need protection. The house can be a conductor. Have an avenue for the lightning to discharge through when it hits the building. Get a lightning protector for your inverter.
Shell out a bit more for a good system. Switched off from the inverter but was it off from the battery to the inverter?
I hardly use the inverter, but about a few days ago I conected it to an old battery to test the battery. I didnt disconect the batt thereafter but inverter was switched off and in the middle of the room and NOT CONNECTED TO ANYTHING. There was just a loud bang with bright flash of light within the house. The inverter started smoking with that wierd light on . My main inverter ( 2.4KW HYBRID) which was in use at the time of the lightning strike of course died a natural death. My auxilliary inverter Sukham 1.4kva also connected to its own battery bank beside the main inverter was spared and thats what I am using now. I had 2 CC working at that time and both continued as if nothing happened.
My beef is the issue of the small inverter.
Paradoxically I thought this specific house was not thunder prone and i had only an earthing system in place.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by durodee(m): 7:18am On Aug 20, 2016
[quote author=abunafiu post=48631368]
the chief marketer. A friend who became a brother .

very aggressive in marketing. "abeg do transfer quick make I do ur weighbil sharply".

"abeg call me make we talk, I no get time for all your whatsapp wahala.. abeg send the money".

it pays to be good sir frankie. proud of you bro .[/quot

Kai ! My brother, you are describing the Kiekie I know, walahi!!!! grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by iLoveTheSun(m): 10:40am On Aug 20, 2016
@DUNKA

Thanks for sharing the link. I hope many will find it useful to learn how to wire properly.

Without knowing the length of the ground cable, I'd go for safe harbor. Surge protection for DC photovoltaic is more demanding. I'd recommend to install the DC SPD outside of the building envelope and leave the grounding cable outside the building. And I would run the cable the shortest way (low resistance).

By the way, the last indoor pictures show indoor wiring and battery setup. Is this the bespoken installation?

(1) (2) (3) ... (158) (159) (160) (161) (162) (163) (164) ... (1695) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Hero2t, tomi01(m), Elkrypto(m), obinna37(m), truthbetold22 and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.