Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,339 members, 7,860,853 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 05:22 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (1571) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2146411 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1568) (1569) (1570) (1571) (1572) (1573) (1574) ... (1744) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by easyyoke: 7:03am On Feb 10
Hello guys, I bought some generic 300W panel from a Solar shop. 2pcs. It was during raining season so sun wasn't really out that period. I noticed on my 40A HQST MPPT charge controller, the panel wasnt giving me more than 80W out of the stated 300w. (The MPPT charge controller shows you how many volt and Amps that is coming in from the solar panel). So I thought maybe it is because we were in raining season that period. Fast forward to January with full sun, I was getting 105w max per panel to give 210w out of the supposed 600W I am supposed to get. So I concluded I have bought fake panels. Then I decided, this time around I will buy original Jinko 550w from an authorized dealer. So I went straight to Foauni store(one of the authorized dealers in Nigeria). On getting home, I noticed I was only 275w out of the stated 550w too. Foauni does not sell fake products so I know I did not buy fake this time around. So I was wondering, is this the normal way solar panels work. Delivering just 50% of their rated wattage even in full bright sun. And even when my battery is very low this is still what I get. I know most times, when batteries are almost full, your MPPT enters float mode and reduces the power coming in from your panels but even at low battery percentage, I am still not getting more than 50% of the rated wattage of the Jinko 550w panel in full bright sunlight. My MPPT controller tracks the wattage all day and tells you at the end of the day the highest wattage the panel supplied and the highest I got on the 550w panel is 280W. And my controller does not have any current limiting function. Is this how solar panels work in Nigeria because most solar panel reviews in the US that I watch on Youtube, those panels produce atleast 80% of their rated capacity.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by oloet: 7:18am On Feb 10
There are so many things that affects Solar yield.... orientation, quality of materials, distance etc... I want to point out to you that we are in a dusty weather right now, so your generation might not be out of place as most of us are battling with poor yields due to the weather....

easyyoke:
Hello guys, I bought some generic 300W panel from a Solar shop. 2pcs. It was during raining season so sun wasn't really out that period. I noticed on my HQST MPPT charge controller, the panel wasnt giving me more than 80W out of the stated 300w. (The MPPT charge controller shows you how many volt and Amps that is coming in from the solar panel). So I thought maybe it is because we were in raining season that period. Fast forward to January with full sun, I was getting 105w max per panel to give 210w out of the supposed 600W I am supposed to get. So I concluded I have bought fake panels. Then I decided, this time around I will buy original Jinko 550w from an authorized dealer. So I went straight to Foauni store(one of the authorized dealers in Nigeria). On getting home, I noticed I was only 275w out of the stated 550w too. Foauni does not sell fake products so I know I did not buy fake this time around. So I was wondering, is this the normal way solar panels work. Delivering just 50% of their rated wattage even in full bright sun. And even when my battery is very low this is still what I get. I know most times, when batteries are almost full, your MPPT enters float mode and reduces the power coming in from your panels but even at low battery percentage, I am still not getting more than 50% of the rated wattage of the Jinko 550w panel in full bright sunlight. My MPPT controller tracks the wattage all day and tells you at the end of the day the highest wattage the panel supplied and the highest I got on the 550w panel is 280W. Is this how solar panels work in Nigeria because most solar panel reviews in the US that I watch on Youtube, those panels produce atleast 80% of their rated capacity

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by easyyoke: 7:28am On Feb 10
kristien4:
Thanks bro. The thing is i upgraded my panels yesterday.. 6pieces 580w solar panel. 2 panels connected in series into 3 places. Thats 2_2_2 in series, all paralled together. I just put it under heavy load. My growatt charge controller displayed 2730watts pv input.. 18amps pv and 90v pv. Its a 48v inverter... 4 pieces 12v LA battery is series..
Each panel 51v
13amps
580w. Just wanted to be sure its working fine. Under the heavy load, pv input amps stays at 18amps, While batt says 43amps. Was thinking the pv amps would get to 30amps and above or something. I should just believe everything is fine since I'm getting 2730watts from 3480w panel on heavy load.

What brand is your 580w panel and where did you get them please. You are getting about 80% yield and that is a very good yield. Your panels are original panels. I am getting just about half of my own rated wattage. What brand is your panel please and where did you get them?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Eldemmi(m): 7:33am On Feb 10
Wishing valto a speedy recovery and peace to everyone of us.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Drgreatone: 8:56am On Feb 10
TechGeek777:

How long have you been using it, and how many kva?
2kva12v. Using it for about 3 weeks now. Its same make wit sunfield which i have running for about 6mths now in my ogas place. There's a 4.2kva version also in a friend's pharmacy.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Drgreatone: 8:58am On Feb 10
Speedy healing Valto.
Subtle reminder we are all humans and its important to do regular health checks. May sickness be far from us and our families.

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by diabeticdeals: 9:09am On Feb 10
Well said!! Get well soon Valto embarassed
Drgreatone:
Speedy healing Valto.
Subtle reminder we are all humans and its important to do regular health checks. May sickness be far from us and our families.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by easyyoke: 9:50am On Feb 10
oloet:
There are so many things that affects Solar yield.... orientation, quality of materials, distance etc... I want to point out to you that we are in a dusty weather right now, so your generation might not be out of place as most of us are battling with poor yields due to the weather....

My Jinko panel is clean. It is brand new. So no dust on it yet. Just 3days old and I have been taking the reading over the course of three days. Good shinning sunlight. Yet the max I am getting is 270w out of the Jinko 550W
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by brightk(m): 10:19am On Feb 10
easyyoke:

My Jinko panel is clean. It is brand new. So no dust on it yet. Just 3days old and I have been taking the reading over the course of three days. Good shinning sunlight. Yet the max I am getting is 270w out of the Jinko 550W
what is the orientation of ur panels? Cable distance and type of cc
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TechGeek777: 10:32am On Feb 10
easyyoke:

You didn't state the configuration, also is it 24v or 48v?

Inverter model and CC info is required
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 10:34am On Feb 10
JoeSef0:
Thanks to everyone input to my case earlier
I've gone to install an external CC and the series issue has stopped. Everything is fine now.

Just a quick question
How many amps should a 300*3 mono solar panels produce at peak Sun?

PWM Controller?
Is this a 24V system?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JoeSef0(m): 11:05am On Feb 10
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JoeSef0(m): 11:06am On Feb 10
12v
Dam5reey:

PWM Controller?
Is this a 24V system?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valentinooo: 11:15am On Feb 10
Wishing Valto a speedy recovery.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JoeSef0(m): 11:16am On Feb 10
That's nice.

I really like the mppt CC built in the inverter
It shows the wattage and amps the solar is charging at and even shows that of AC input together.
Most inverter out there don't give those details.
Also i noticed it has a fast charging speed for AC.
Drgreatone:

2kva12v. Using it for about 3 weeks now. Its same make wit sunfield which i have running for about 6mths now in my ogas place. There's a 4.2kva version also in a friend's pharmacy.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by oloet: 11:50am On Feb 10
easyyoke:

As I have said, I don't think you have a problem for now, how are the panels connected, are they properly oriented, what charge controller are you using?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 12:08pm On Feb 10
280ah new Eve cells available for sale in 16 units @145k each

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by easyyoke: 12:42pm On Feb 10
brightk:
what is the orientation of ur panels? Cable distance and type of cc

I dont really have much idea about orientation. I have not mounted it on my roof yet. I just placed it outside for now. I want to add one more 550w to it before I put it on the roof. The wire length from the panel to my MPPT charge controller is 10yards. I am using a 6mm pure copper wire. The panel current is rated for 13A under loads. To troubleshoot if it was my wire that was the problem, I actually took both my controller and my battery close to the panel and ran the original panel wire straight from the panel to the controller and I was still getting 275, 280W max at peak sunlight. So I dont think it is my wire. It is a single 550w Jinko Panel bought directly from Foauni stores.
Here is the picture of where I placed it. There is no shading at all. Ignore those other two panels. Those were the first 300w panels I bought. Those ones too are giving me 100W max per panel. So I have been wondering what is the problem. Lets assume those 300w are fake panels, this Jinko 550w is definitely original as Foauni store does not sell fake things.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by easyyoke: 12:45pm On Feb 10
TechGeek777:

You didn't state the configuration, also is it 24v or 48v?

Inverter model and CC info is required

My system is a 12v system. I have a 200ah LIFEPO4 battery. A 40A HQST MPPT charge controller. I dont think inverter model matters here as I am not drawing any load from the battery while charging. Just purely charging the 200ah battery and I am only getting 275, 280wmax out of the rated 550w Jinko panel in bright sunlight
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by easyyoke: 12:47pm On Feb 10
oloet:

As I have said, I don't think you have a problem for now, how are the panels connected, are they properly oriented, what charge controller are you using?

It is a single 550w panel. I dont really know much about orientation. I just placed the panel outside. I am waiting to get one more before putting it on the roof. My controller is a 40A HQST MPPT Charge controller. Can you please shed some light on the orientation. Maybe that could be one of my issues
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Penuelseun(m): 1:04pm On Feb 10
easyyoke:

It is a single 550w panel. I dont really know much about orientation. I just placed the panel outside. I am waiting to get one more before putting it on the roof. My controller is a 40A HQST MPPT Charge controller. Can you please shed some light on the orientation. Maybe that could be one of my issues
I would suggest you get another mppt controller

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by easyyoke: 1:08pm On Feb 10
Penuelseun:
I would suggest you get another mppt controller

Wawu. Not it is not my controller. My Charge controller. Is a quality controller made by Renogy in the US so it is a quality and expensive product ke. This cannot even be right. I have a clamp meter and I have measured the DC Amp directly from the panel’s wire as well as the Volt. It is giving me exactly what the MPPT controller is giving with just a little loss. So it is not my controller
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 1:19pm On Feb 10
JoeSef0:
12v

Hmmm, this is not efficient, 300watts panel is connected to PWM CC on a 12V system.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Drgreatone: 1:21pm On Feb 10
JoeSef0:
That's nice.

I really like the mppt CC built in the inverter
It shows the wattage and amps the solar is charging at and even shows that of AC input together.
Most inverter out there don't give those details.
Also i noticed it has a fast charging speed for AC.
Running my top loader washing machine on it as i type. Advantage of the hybrid is u can oversize ur panels such that it powers ur load and still charge the battery which u sort of lose wit this pwm charger. I was goin to ask, whats the max panel input of ur pwm controller used? Looking like u connected ur 900watt panel to it directly?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Drgreatone: 1:24pm On Feb 10
easyyoke:

Wawu. My $150 American Charge controller. Wahala. It is made by Renogy in the US so it is a quality and expensive product ke. You think my controller may be the issue?😳😳😳. This cannot even be right. I have a clamp meter and I have measured the DC Amp directly from the panel’s wire as well as the Volt. It is giving me exactly what the MPPT controller is giving with just a little loss. So it is not my controller
Whats the specs in terms of maximum panel voltage, max panel input etc?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 1:27pm On Feb 10
easyyoke:

I dont really have much idea about orientation. I have not mounted it on my roof yet. I just placed it outside for now. I want to add one more 550w to it before I put it on the roof. The wire length from the panel to my MPPT charge controller is 10yards. I am using a 6mm pure copper wire. The panel current is rated for 13A under loads. To troubleshoot if it was my wire that was the problem, I actually took both my controller and my battery close to the panel and ran the original panel wire straight from the panel to the controller and I was still getting 275, 280W max at peak sunlight. So I dont think it is my wire. It is a single 550w Jinko Panel bought directly from Foauni stores.
Here is the picture of where I placed it. There is no shading at all. Ignore those other two panels. Those were the first 300w panels I bought. Those ones too are giving me 100W max per panel. So I have been wondering what is the problem. Lets assume those 300w are fake panels, this Jinko 550w is definitely original as Foauni store does not sell fake things.

If a Jinko already produced 275W which is 50% of its capacity and your 300w were doing 100w which is 33%...
it means your the Jinko already performed as Top Tier Panel.

Your Charge controller is doing a bad job... Change it to another one..

Also note the Current Weather is very bad!!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by AshipaEk0: 1:33pm On Feb 10
easyyoke:

You won't get 50% output from those panels this period.

Everyone is reporting much degraded output.
Used to get nameplate, now max out at 45% ish

Run these checks in 3 - 4 weeks when the bloody Harmattan is done

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dollarnaira: 1:44pm On Feb 10
easyyoke:

Am sorry bro
But I laughed out loud upon the above.
Not dust on the panels o. But huge dust in the air above affecting everyone Jinko or no Jinko. Wait for the first or 2nd rain to wash the said Harmattan dust in the atmosphere off. By then, sun rays will fully hit your pv wella. Dust don chop better part of the sun comot. So bro, the sun you are feeling now is big fake. Leave your set up till March/April and check again. Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by oloet: 1:44pm On Feb 10
easyyoke:

Please wait a little while for the weather to clear ,a properly oriented panel will face the sun directly 80% of the time...my opinion though 🫣

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TechGeek777: 1:50pm On Feb 10
easyyoke:

Your roof slant too much?

I believe Max 25 Deg is allowed for optimal performance of the panel.

Btw, no be too much money dey make pv perform oh.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Obnoxious2001(m): 2:21pm On Feb 10
easyyoke:

You have no problem.
The panel is trying your concern should be to increase your cc.

The 40A can only fend for 550w × 2.
That if you don't have plans to install the 300w panels
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by easyyoke: 3:04pm On Feb 10
AshipaEk0:

You won't get 50% output from those panels this period.

Everyone is reporting much degraded output.
Used to get nameplate, now max out at 45% ish

Run these checks in 3 - 4 weeks when the bloody Harmattan is done

Thank you. This seem like a very logical answer. I will wait till after the harmattan is done. Thank youuuu

(1) (2) (3) ... (1568) (1569) (1570) (1571) (1572) (1573) (1574) ... (1744) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.