Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,751 members, 7,809,877 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:28 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (216) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2044832 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (213) (214) (215) (216) (217) (218) (219) ... (1680) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 6:36am On Feb 27, 2017
DMerciful:
My Oga them...Chris81964, Juo, Efuro, kiekie1 .....
Can we bring 500W affordable AC units to this forum?

this is the closest i saw, am sure samsung will hv a similar product with lower consumption. AC with gn/inverter mode

http://www.lg.com/africa/split-air-conditioners/lg-BS-Q1264NA0
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 8:50am On Feb 27, 2017
Thanks....however this one is 1170W grin grin
earthrealm:

this is the closest i saw, am sure samsung will hv a similar product with lower consumption. AC with gn/inverter mode

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 10:37am On Feb 27, 2017
chris81964:

My understanding about swamp coolers or chillers is that they don't work very well in areas with high humidity. An AC removes humidity, this adds it. How do you address the issue with mold that comes with the high humidity? I have a genuine interest please don't see this as an attack. I am buying an AC for the office this week. Would explore this option if I get a good response from you.

Yes I know BT for areas with high humidity , dehumidifier is available for purchase .. They work real good as I use 1 in my room. I don't run AC always as I save more with Chillers (Dehumidifier optional)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01EY7IKUG/ref=mp_s_a_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1488316717&sr=1-14&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 11:47am On Feb 27, 2017
kiekie1:

Yes I know BT for areas with high humidity , dehumidifier is available for purchase .. They work real good as I use 1 in my room. I don't run AC always as I save more with Chillers (Dehumidifier optional)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B013IJPTFK/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488187874&sr=1-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65

Nice work Oga Kiekie1

thanks for the update on Oga Chris observation
and bigger thanks to naira that has just woken up from almost a year in Coma & heavily sedated by CBN cheesy cheesy

you'll hear from me @ appropriate time even if it means selling one of my split AC
going green is a commitment and do-able affair.

smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 2:04pm On Feb 27, 2017
DMerciful:

On gen or inverter mode..it consumes 50% power and outputs 70% cooling capacity
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Monlo(m): 5:08pm On Feb 27, 2017
DMerciful:

Have ur LiPO4 batteries arrived?Keep the house updated on its efficiency.Thanks

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by jazzman2(m): 6:22pm On Feb 27, 2017
kiekie1:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B013IJPTFK/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488187874&sr=1-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65

Kiekie1, the above product is a humidifier and does not have any "de-humidifier" option. Humidifiers will not work in Nigeria because you will saturate the already humid air with water and raise the dis-comfort level a notch higher.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 6:34pm On Feb 27, 2017
earthrealm:

On gen or inverter mode..it consumes 50% power and outputs 70% cooling capacity
yes I can confirm that. Around 600w on inverter mode, still high though

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tundebabzy: 6:57pm On Feb 27, 2017
JUO:
But I advertised these fans on this forum, none showed interest. Any way qasa is good the price is between 20-30k. Consumption is 14w on low and 28w on high. Mine is 5w on low and 32w on high. Another model with remote control is 9w on low and 38w on high. Out of stock. Think of how many fans you will power with 100w if each is consuming 12w?. I see no reason for huge battery bank, solution is here already. Believe me a 3 bed room flat can use just 2pcs of 150ah batteries and 1500w solar panels with energy efficient devices and your batteries can do over 3yrs. Just imagine 4 ceiling fans consuming 15w each, TV 40' 30w, led bulbs 8pcs 5w each, fridge 120w 8am-4pm daily. With this your night consumption will never exceed 1800kwh which can be replenished by the array before 11am, the rest goes to the fridge and float your batteries before 3pm. Sounds interesting right? Now the real breakdown of the energy efficient devices: TV 40' 400k, fridge 200k, ceiling fan 30k, led bulbs bright ones N1500. Finish the calculation. I don try
You are on point sir. This is the route I'm trying to follow.
I have already changed all the bulbs in the house to 5w bulbs although that's the cheapest part. Next to go is fans. Once I get my energy meter, I can then decide evaluate if my lcd TV needs to go.

Please, I don't need a 40' TV. 32 us good enough for me. Can you direct me to where I can get the kind of energy saving one you mentioned?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dapsyra(m): 7:26pm On Feb 27, 2017
tundebabzy:

Please, I don't need a 40' TV. 32 us good enough for me. Can you direct me to where I can get the kind of energy saving one you mentioned?

You can buy from any reputable dealer. Just make sure you buy LED (not LCD) TV.

Most 32' LED TV consumes less than 25w.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 7:33pm On Feb 27, 2017
Trojan J200-RE Premium Line Flooded Lead-Acid Battery (200AH 12V) ...#132k

Quick Overview ;

Model: J200RE with Bayonet Cap
Battery: Flooded/Wet Lead-Acid Battery
Capacity: 12V 200Ah / 20Hr Rate

Cyclic Use: 30% DOD - 2750 cycles
Cyclic Use: 50% DOD - 1750 cycles

Dimensions (LxBxH): 380mm x 176mm x 352mm

Terminal Height: 371mm

Weight: 60kg

Bulk Charge: 14.82V, Float charge: 13.5V, Equalization Charge: 16.20V

Color: Maroon (case/cover)
Material: Polypropylene
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bobojoshua(m): 7:50pm On Feb 27, 2017
dapsyra:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 9:40pm On Feb 27, 2017
earthrealm:

Is it in the market today?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 9:44pm On Feb 27, 2017
kiekie1:

I have dehumidifiers in my house and they consume a lot of power. They operate on the same principle as an AC to remove gallons of water from the air. When I go back home I will post pictures of one that I have in the family room.

6 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dapsyra(m): 10:59pm On Feb 27, 2017
chris81964:

Is it in the market today?

Yes, it is in the Nigerian market already. You can buy it at the LG shop. My wife bought one recently for her office. It sells for N210,000.00 each in Abuja.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 12:07am On Feb 28, 2017
efuro:

Nice work Oga Kiekie1

thanks for the update on Oga Chris observation
and bigger thanks to naira that has just woken up from almost a year in Coma & heavily sedated by CBN cheesy cheesy

you'll hear from me @ appropriate time even if it means selling one of my split AC
going green is a commitment and do-able affair.

smiley smiley

Yes ,, we hope things get better as exchange rate gradually gets back to normal .. Feel free to always contact me as usual !

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 7:50am On Feb 28, 2017
It has not arrived, the seller dint ship on time. will definitely keep the house posted when it arrives cheesy
Monlo:

Have ur LiPO4 batteries arrived?Keep the house updated on its efficiency.Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 8:04am On Feb 28, 2017
dapsyra:

My 42inch LG LED consumes 20w on Eco mode
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 10:03am On Feb 28, 2017
bigrovar:

My 42inch LG LED consumes 20w on Eco mode

wow... how much?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by harveyspec: 3:03pm On Feb 28, 2017
Trippledots:

wow... how much?
Pls what's the model no?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by harveyspec: 3:03pm On Feb 28, 2017
Trippledots:

wow... how much?
Pls what's the model no?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chimeziem(m): 3:55pm On Feb 28, 2017
Good-day guys

I have a question for the gurus in the house. Can one use a cable of smaller gauge for the neutral line compared to the live in a solar setup between pv and cc

Why i ask is that am trying to setup about a 1.5kw pv on mppt cc for a 24v battery bank. Plan is to use 10mm for live and then 4mm for the neutral between pv & cc. Distance will be 25ft (30ft max).
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by foonshur(m): 4:28pm On Feb 28, 2017
chimeziem:
Good-day guys

I have a question for the gurus in the house. Can one use a cable of smaller gauge for the neutral line compared to the live in a solar setup between pv and cc

Why i ask is that am trying to setup about a 1.5kw pv on mppt cc for a 24v battery bank. Plan is to use 10mm for live and then 4mm for the neutral between pv & cc. Distance will be 25ft (30ft max).
Ayam not understanding.... is there "live" and "neutral" in dc setup?
Bros, no go burn house oo!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 6:20pm On Feb 28, 2017
chimeziem:
Good-day guys

lol, ac and dc aint the samme...by live and neutral, he is assuming -ve and +ve in dc equates to live and neutral in AC.

if you look at the charts for dc cable thickness and amperage, it assumes uniform wire thickness, so to answer ur question in simple terms..Hell NO!, ur plan isnt a good one, and the 4mm , 10mm or both may melt/catch fire if you exceed the current rating of your setup. google for the charts if you dont understand what am trying to explain, cos instead of having 20mm sharing the load, u plan to have 14mm
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 7:26pm On Feb 28, 2017
For DC, there is positive and negative. Also the strength of a chain is the strength of its weakest link. Use 10mm or more for both sides.
chimeziem:
Good-day guys

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chimeziem(m): 7:55pm On Feb 28, 2017
DMerciful:
For DC, there is positive and negative. Also the strength of a chain is the strength of its weakest link. Use 10mm or more for both sides.

lol! I actually meant +ve and -ve.

Thank you all for your quick responses.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tundebabzy: 8:06pm On Feb 28, 2017
dapsyra:

OK. I knew LED don't consume as much power as LCD. I just got confused at the 400k estimate for 40"Tv. But honestly, I didn't know LED TV consume as low as 25w. Their spec sheets usually say something around 50w. This is really good to know and my LCD will definitely be the next to go.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 8:38pm On Feb 28, 2017
tundebabzy:

OK. I knew LED don't consume as much power as LCD. I just got confused at the 400k estimate for 40"Tv. But honestly, I didn't know LED TV consume as low as 25w. Their spec sheets usually say something around 50w. This is really good to know and my LCD will definitely be the next to go.

Eco mode LED TV's are generally energy efficient .. 55inch full hd android LED TV in my sitting room consumes 91w(42a) max , and 87w min operating watts .. While the smaller bedroom 24inch full hd LED TV's consumes 20-22w(10a) max. This results are far better than plasma TV energy consumption ! In situations like this whilst on solar , get a watts meter for accurate load watts reading and size up your battery bank properly for longer battery LIFE ..

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 9:54pm On Feb 28, 2017
tundebabzy:

no 40' 4k smart TV is less than 400k, even ordinary FHD smart 40' TV is more than 200k. You can get ordinary FHD led around 150k or higher if you prefer that or just buy HD led which is what you get in most stores. But be sure you don't buy led with lcd back-lit or edge-lit which will consume more. For me I may likely not go for bigger screen cos bigger screen means more power. My friends 50' 4k smart consumes 30w
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tundebabzy: 12:41pm On Mar 01, 2017
JUO:
no 40' 4k smart TV is less than 400k, even ordinary FHD smart 40' TV is more than 200k. You can get ordinary FHD led around 150k or higher if you prefer that or just buy HD led which is what you get in most stores. But be sure you don't buy led with lcd back-lit or edge-lit which will consume more. For me I may likely not go for bigger screen cos bigger screen means more power. My friends 50' 4k smart consumes 30w
Oh OK. Now I totally understand since you are talking about 4k TV. I thought it was the regular LED. Yap, 4k TV are expensive (and really energy efficient. Wow!). Thanks for clearing that up.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 4:45pm On Mar 01, 2017
For over a week now.
Ilorin sun has been smiling at me. My daily harvest is now 14 to 15.5kwh daily with my 4kw @250w poly panels.
2 weeks ago, I will shout if I hit 12kwh. I almost felt my panels are going down.

Saipro how far ur side?

Finally ve united my Trojans. Back to 48v set up now.
So I now discharge gently.
Since I am 100% off grid. Saving for additional 1kw to hit 5kw PV strength.
After then start saving for battery replacement.
Not sure if I would love to have a repeated flooded experience.
What about you?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (213) (214) (215) (216) (217) (218) (219) ... (1680) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: ab221(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.