Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,846 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:03 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (237) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2069895 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (234) (235) (236) (237) (238) (239) (240) ... (1697) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 10:57pm On Apr 27, 2017
Bro,

This is clearly a communication mixup as assumptions were made rather than specifying however I understand your feeling as ur expectation is different from what you got. I can assure you that there is no appreciable difference in mono & poly of same rating other than the possibility of the mono being a little smaller in physical size and as such I have no doubt in recommending those panels. If however you feel it will affect ur passion for ur system, you can put it up for sale on the forum, a guy is already lamenting how he missed buying some panels by raising his request on my mention when it was actually GeorgeD1 selling grin
therealMcCain:
I'm angry as I type this now & i want the house to be the judge

GeorgeD1 put up an ad for his panels for 30k, he stated he had SHARP and SUNTECH panels for sale 200w each, he equally stated that it was 1st come first serve basis

Immediately after his post I was first to indicate interest.

We spoke LAST WEEK and he told me he was not in town & that i should hold on with payment, that the panels will be RESERVED FOR ME.

SARTURDAY HE CALLED that he was in town & I promised to make payment on MONDAY which I did.

I paid for 4 panels including courier fee, the delivery date was Thursday/Friday which I agreed to.

Its worthwhile to mention that when the panels were put up for sale, the picture of the panels were MONO

When he later did a test on them using a multimeter, the pictures were also MONO

Imagine my disappointment when I went to pick my panel to see that they were POLY panels with no sticker or nameplate behind.

I am not happy at all. I called him, I couldn't really process what he was saying, background
Was noisy & i was really disappointed & down

It was when I got home to check the name plate, ALL 4 panels had no nameplate!

I called again & he promised to send a pic of rhe name plate from the initial installation

How do i know that these are really SHARP panels as I requested?

I am weak, disoriented & angry

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 11:39pm On Apr 27, 2017
DMerciful:
Bro,

This is clearly a communication mixup as assumptions were made rather than specifying however I understand your feeling as ur expectation is different from what you got. I can assure you that there is no appreciable difference in mono & poly of same rating other than the possibility of the mono being a little smaller in physical size and as such I have no doubt in recommending those panels. If however you feel it will affect ur passion for ur system, you can put it up for sale on the forum, a guy is already lamenting how he missed buying some panels by raising his request on my mention w
hen it was actually GeorgeD1 selling grin

I agree with ur view.
Also thanks to GeorgeD for taking pain to write.
My stake is that those who got those panels are lucky.
Its a win-win situation.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 12:10am On Apr 28, 2017
babaegun:
Hello Guys,

So am trying to setup 12 nos - 250W, 30V/8A solar panels in series/parallel.

Kindly look at my diagram and suggest the best option that is most efficient. Charge Controller is 150Vdc/80A mppt, Battery Bank is 48V, 200AH and the Inverter is 5000va.

Thanks as I await your response.

Gurus in the house have spoken and I agree. While option A remains the best.If As A DIY FREAK with good rated cables & want to drive heavy equipment as stove, iron, water pump, etc. I will prefer option B
Reason: my DIY study of 60A fungpusun mppt revealed a considerable drop in cc temperature when trading off voltage for amps. to me it means the components of d CC are not stressed thus extending it's lifespan. ( But the problem is cable gauge to handle huge amps pushing through )

In addition, on a terrible day(s) when harvest drops considerably u will still have juice flowing to ur bank instead of depleting it further.

My view awaits correction from very experienced DIY enthusiast, particularly those with large arrays for us to extend boundary of knowledge.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by therealMcCain: 1:02am On Apr 28, 2017
GeorgeD1:
therealmccain,
brother, we have already discussed so no need to bring this up in public space.
the panels i had on sale were a mix of poly and mono. i could have upped the price
for the mono but for personal reasons, i decided to give them all away same price.
when i posted the price and specs on this thread i neither indicated which type of
panels i was giving out only that it was 200w. if you say you are angry because i
sent you poly panels then its rather regrettable because you didn't specifically
indicate you were after mono panels. as for nameplate, i did promise to send you
details on watsapp which you agreed to. besides, the history of every single one of
my modules are replete on the pages of this thread like an open book for everyone
to read.
should you still have any other issues you want cleared up, kindly reach me via my
mobile and lets resolve. i don't believe we should regale honorable members here
with back and forth posts over what could be regarded as a private matter.

i'm sorry for the heartache this might have caused you but i assure you it was not
intentional.

It's not my intention to cast shades on you. Your contributions on this thread has been invaluable & you know your onions that's one of the reasons I didn't go into details request such as asking for pics of panels or nameplate etc

That being said, I AM NOT of the opinion too that you misrepresented the fact on purpose or you were out to defraud me. I was angry & feeling very bad, I felt I had been decieved & a smart one has been played on me.

The keyword here is "feelings

The efficiency of Mono Vs Poly isn't the issue here but was I believed I was buying, I felt I needed to know, it was my perogative to have that info & make a decision. I am sure the house can empathise with this feeling.

I refused to buy zeestones used panel when i discovered they were poly, so imgaine how i felt when i saw that these panels were Poly.

That being said, I guess the house can learn from this, No assumptions should be made when service or goods are being offered REGARDLESS of who is offerring them.

Seller should give all details & buyer should equally ask questions.

People buy things or do things for ONLY 2 reasons

1. Logical reasons

2.emotional reasons

It's very typical of Nigerian sellers to always assume what's important/necessary to the buyer which I believe it's wrong.

Typical Nigerian scenario, why you dey give me black biro, not be blue I pay for?

Oga nor be house u say u wan use am, blue & black biro na the same thing, infact this blue biro na from US, that blue wey u dey find na Aba full market

If I wanted a black biro because my late father or friend always used black, all arguments of blue biro being equally being good or the best will be futile.

Everyone knows when it comes to panels, type in terms of Mono/poly & its ratings are key factors

It is also a known fact that most folks tend to go for mono or would love to go for Mono. So I believe that should always be stated clearly

On foreign classified Ad sites, on the average the seller takes time to give item description or a picture & states the condition whether its "As is" or not, i think we should all emulate that

Once more I brought this to the house to serve as a learning incident & not in any way to soil Mr GeorgeD1 reputation

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 5:24am On Apr 28, 2017
therealMcCain:

It's not my intention to cast shades on you. Your contributions on this thread has been invaluable & you know your onions that's one of the reasons I didn't go into details request such as asking for pics of panels or nameplate etc

That being said, I AM NOT of the opinion too that you misrepresented the fact on purpose or you were out to defraud me. I was angry & feeling very bad, I felt I had been decieved & a smart one has been played on me.

The efficiency of Mono Vs Poly isn't the issue here but was I believed I was buying, I felt I needed to know, it was my perogative to have that info & make a decision. I am sure the house can empathise with this feeling.

I refused to buy zeestones used panel when i discovered they were poly, so imgaine how i felt when i saw that these panels were Poly.

That being said, I guess the house can learn from this, No assumptions should be made when service or goods are being offered REGARDLESS of who is offerring them.

1. Logical reasons

2.emotional reasons

It's very typical of Nigerian sellers to always assume what's important/necessary to the buyer which I believe it's wrong.

Typical Nigerian scenario, why you dey give me black biro, not be blue I pay for?

Oga nor be house u say u wan use am, blue & black biro na the same thing, infact this blue biro na from US, that blue wey u dey find na Aba full market

If I wanted a black biro because my late father or friend always used black, all arguments of blue biro being equally being good or the best will be futile.

Everyone knows when it comes to panels, type in terms of Mono/poly & its ratings are key factors

It is also a known fact that most folks tend to go for mono or would love to go for Mono. So I believe that should always be stated clearly

On foreign classified Ad sites, on the average the seller takes time to give item description or a picture & states the condition whether its "As is" or not, i think we should all emulate that

Once more I brought this to the house to serve as a learning incident & not in any way to soil Mr GeorgeD1 reputation

The talk is too much, I can buy them from you...

You were at fault, you had a choice being 200W mono or nothing else, then you should have stress, that...

It is simple, If you need a Black biro, You simply ask Seller, Abeg do you have Black biro? Or is the Biro for Sale Black or blue?
since your choice is Black... Not Biro...

6 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 5:27am On Apr 28, 2017
GeorgeD1:
all,

happy easter to everyone in the house. as stated earlier, i'm clearing out my solar modules
to pave way for the major systems upgrade which is currently on-going.

so i'm giving out my original sharp and suntech panels to the lucky few who are quick enough
to grab this offer.

wattage: 200w each
price: 30k each

minimum order qty is 2pcs

it will be on first come, first serve basis.

See this, he attached the screenshot, showing mono and poly...

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by oneshowguy: 6:51am On Apr 28, 2017
B2B Distribution is your Stocking distributor for quality solar Component Manufacturer’s. Our distribution services include: same day shipping worldwide, international and Local warehousing, and Bonded Inventory.

Interested stocking resellers can contact me on 08123329521

https://www.back2back.ae/

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tundebabzy: 7:52am On Apr 28, 2017
therealMcCain:

1. Logical reasons

2.emotional reasons

Sell them to me

6 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by peaceland(m): 8:52am On Apr 28, 2017
@DMerciful, @bigrovar, @earthrealm, @efuro

Good morning all,
Thanks so much for the prompt responses.
I am grateful. Agba yin a dale o (may you the elders live long. Amen).
To answer some of the questions raised.
- Attached below are the pictures of the Charge Controller and the Inverter
- My understanding (based on papers) is that the charge controller is MPPT, 12/24V, 30A. The Inverter is 1.5kva, 24V. The panels are
supposed to be 250Wp, 24V, Poly.
- I also noticed that I was promised 2 units of 60A, 150VDC & also 2 units of 30A, 150VDC but it seems I have only 1 unit of the 30A. Not
sure what that implies really. I have an isolator ealier installed in the house before now.
- It appears the options are to increase the panels. The installer claims I am having good harvest but the initial plan was to have just 2
panels which I was advised to increase to 3.
So I have 3 more questions sirs:
- Based on the information above and the attached pictures, what are your observations and advice?
- If I scale down to 2 panels rather than scale up to 4, what are the risks?
- VIP: I noticed that overnight, with inverter on & no light or points on within the house, the loss of power is enormous from 4-5 bars down
to 1 bar by the morning. I complained about this too to the installer but now I don’t trust anything he says. What is likely happening.
Should I switch off when going to bed or what can be done to conserve power or reduce consumption by the inverter/waste.
Thanks all
MODIFIED: The pictures taken this morning around 6:50AM. already on 1 bar, as at when i switched it on/switched off the gen yesterday night was on full bars and no light (other than the inverter was on till around 430am today (3-4 LED points).
Thanks

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 10:25am On Apr 28, 2017
@ peaceland.. reviews shows that the bars on the EP ever does not tally from a 24V system @ 26V your battery is almost 90%.
Kindly disregard the battery icon look at the battery voltage,, check 1 or 2 pages back to see battery level by voltage..

This is the only 1 I can answer... sad
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 10:27am On Apr 28, 2017
peaceland:

Good morning all,
- My understanding (based on papers) is that the charge controller is MPPT, 12/24V, 30A. The Inverter is 1.5kva, 24V. The panels are
- I also noticed that I was promised 2 units of 60A, 150VDC & also 2 units of 30A, 150VDC but it seems I have only 1 unit of the 30A. Not
sure what that implies really. I have an isolator ealier installed in the house before now.
- It appears the options are to increase the panels. The installer claims I am having good harvest but the initial plan was to have just 2
- Based on the information above and the attached pictures, what are your observations and advice?
- VIP: I noticed that overnight, with inverter on & no light or points on within the house, the loss of power is enormous from 4-5 bars down
to 1 bar by the morning. I complained about this too to the installer but now I don’t trust anything he says. What is likely happening.
Should I switch off when going to bed or what can be done to conserve power or reduce consumption by the inverter/waste.
Thanks all
MODIFIED: The pictures taken this morning around 6:50AM. already on 1 bar, as at when i switched it on/switched off the gen yesterday night was on full bars and no light (other than the inverter was on till around 430am today (3-4 LED points).
Thanks

Hello, on your 6am picture , kindly ignore the bar chart and concentrate more on battery volt as displayed on your 30a mppt for depth of discharge analysis ! Pls I will also advise you to get and install the optional MT50 remote interface so as to enable you get a more precise reading with larger LCD screen view . simply contact me for a series MT50 remote at discounted price ! O8I35O3I95I

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 1:47pm On Apr 28, 2017
peaceland:

Good morning all,
Thanks all
Thanks

As stated .. Ignore the soc from the controller. Epsolar are notorious for their false negative state of charge bar. You could charge that battery to full and a minute later its reading 50% full. They used some wack algorithms for the controller soc. Your battery seem to be doing fine.

2 panels might not be enough to adequately charge those batteries. Advise is to use 2 for how and upgrade once cashflow allows
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 1:54pm On Apr 28, 2017
ahhhaa @peaceland, just as i thought, 30amp cc!, downgrading to just 2 panels will reduce your harvest, and will likely cause your battery to fail prematurely if you are off grid. i would recommend you upgrade to 4 panels, and 40/45amp cc, a 40amp epever cc is btw 60k and 80k depending on seller,

i dont know how much you paid your installer or what agreement you guys reached, but i dont really understand the bolded, if you agreed on something 60amp cc he should stick to it, abi you didnt pay him completely?

you should have brought this issue/plan to the forum before you paid/reached an agreement with the installer, that way you would have been better informed and thus negotiated better. a 40/45amp cc will serve you, though a 60amp cc is even better and gives you room for expansion ie increase ur panels to 6/1600w

peaceland:

Good morning all,
-

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 2:18pm On Apr 28, 2017
Is there any other solar forum/chatroom/blog apart from Nairaland?
Kindly paste links here.

Thanks !

smiley smiley smiley
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 2:31pm On Apr 28, 2017
efuro:
Is there any other solar forum/chatroom/blog apart from Nairaland?
Kindly paste links here.

Thanks !

smiley smiley smiley
www.powerforum.co.za wink
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NoMoreTrolling: 2:54pm On Apr 28, 2017
Anyone in need of a kilowatt meter?

I have one for sale for 7k, VI LAGOS

Call 08171942851
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TSHIRT2: 2:59pm On Apr 28, 2017
To all vendors in d house,pls i need i- tracer 60amp mppt charger control,budget is 120,000naira.kindly leave ur contact.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Braaad: 3:16pm On Apr 28, 2017
I recently supervised this installation in Akwa Ibom state. I need your comments on it. Also, from my analysis, 4years from now, 1 in every 3 houses will own a Solar Electricity System. I think it is high time we found a solution to the high prices of solar energy components especially storage batteries, inverters and solar panels. We can achieve this by developing and patronizing our own technology here in Nigeria.

Anyone have an idea how to recycle batteries. ...all these people buying scrap batteries, what do they use them for?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 3:36pm On Apr 28, 2017
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NoMoreTrolling: 3:42pm On Apr 28, 2017
Picture of the used kilowatt meter for sale

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 3:43pm On Apr 28, 2017
NoMoreTrolling:
Anyone in need of a kilowatt meter?

I have one for sale for 7k, VI LAGOS

Call 08171942851

DC or AC.

I need two DC UNITS (+ OR - 100A) not kill A watt meter, pls.

Tanx
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NoMoreTrolling: 3:45pm On Apr 28, 2017
efuro:

DC or AC.

Attach pix also.
Tanx

Sorry Bro, it's just an AC plug in meter for load sizing sad
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by peaceland(m): 4:24pm On Apr 28, 2017
earthrealm:

you should have brought this issue/plan to the forum before you paid/reached an agreement with the installer, that way you would have been better informed and thus negotiated better. a 40/45amp cc will serve you, though a 60amp cc is even better and gives you room for expansion ie increase ur panels to 6/1600w

Thank you @earthrealm,
Well, I got the system installed by a well known company.
I am having my doubts already. It is on installment payment basis though.
We learn everyday; it is a phase and it will pass definitely.
Thanks a lot sir. Grateful
I will stick to only 2 panels for now. changing to pmw is a no-no for me and getting an additional panel at 70-90k is not an option for now.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by peaceland(m): 4:30pm On Apr 28, 2017
bigrovar:

As stated .. Ignore the soc from the controller. Epsolar are notorious for their false negative state of charge bar. You could charge that battery to full and a minute later its reading 50% full. They used some wack algorithms for the controller soc. Your battery seem to be doing fine.

2 panels might not be enough to adequately charge those batteries. Advise is to use 2 for how and upgrade once cashflow allows

@bigrovar,
Thanks so much sir.
I deeply appreciate your time and comments.
I am sticking to the 2 panels for now.
Thanks.
What baffles me about my installer is why install something that by a simple mathematics may become problematic?.
If I have been told from inception that it is either 2 or 4 panels my options will have been clearer, not to turn around in the middle of the game to want to shift goal post from mppt to pmw.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 11:14pm On Apr 28, 2017
You are right. I have noticed it with Fangpusun flexmax. Harvest is better when input voltage is limited to x 2 of output voltage however for epever itracer, higher voltage of x 3 is better.
efuro:

Gurus in the house have spoken and I agree. While option A remains the best.If As A DIY FREAK with good rated cables & want to drive heavy equipment as stove, iron, water pump, etc. I will prefer option B
Reason: my DIY study of 60A fungpusun mppt revealed a considerable drop in cc temperature when trading off voltage for amps. to me it means the components of d CC are not stressed thus extending it's lifespan. ( But the problem is cable gauge to handle huge amps pushing through )

In addition, on a terrible day(s) when harvest drops considerably u will still have juice flowing to ur bank instead of depleting it further.

My view awaits correction from very experienced DIY enthusiast, particularly those with large arrays for us to extend boundary of knowledge.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Reprobate: 1:26am On Apr 29, 2017
so I want to buy an energy efficient freezer, that is affordable, most dc or solar freezers I have seen are quite expensive 300k and above. what of lg, Samsung or thermocool, who knows if they have an energy efficient product that is affordable?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 5:58am On Apr 29, 2017
efuro:

Not in this case. Remember we are dealing with a 48v system here. A 48v would require at least 59.2v to be properly charged. If OP was using a proper offgrid solar panel with VMP >= 35v, VOC >=45v then option B might be acceptable (in which case the essence of an mppt becomes mute) he would still need to spend ₦ on fat cables. However most of the panels sold in Nigeria are actually Gridtie panels with VMP at 30/31 VOC at 30.* there is no way you want to run those in an Abuja weather. The sun heat will eat your voltage below the required 59.2 leaving your battery with a bigger charge deficit than Nigeria's national budget.

Option B should only be considered if the battery is a 24v system.

Also note that while option A requires 3 panels in series. The output voltage of 90v is about twice that of the system battery voltage at 48v hence the heat issue you complained about won't be a problem since the dc to dc converter is working at the recommended optimal PV voltage to Battery voltage ratio

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 6:01am On Apr 29, 2017
Reprobate:
so I want to buy an energy efficient freezer, that is affordable, most dc or solar freezers I have seen are quite expensive 300k and above. what of lg, Samsung or thermocool, who knows if they have an energy efficient product that is affordable?
I think scanfrost is quite good. Just get a chest freezer, most freezers nowadays are quite efficient and would serve you without issues. the biggest issues with DC freezers is maintenance. hard to find someone who could easily fix em when they are down.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by life707: 9:48am On Apr 29, 2017
@therealMcCain, if u are willing to let go of the panels at same price buzz me on life707@rocketmail.com

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Javid4me: 10:59am On Apr 29, 2017
You can try this out. Quite energy efficient.
Good luck.

https://www.fouanistore.com/lg-appliances/lg-freezer/chest-freezer/lg-chest-freezer-310/

Reprobate:

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 1:14pm On Apr 29, 2017
efuro:

DC or AC.

Tanx
contact me for good price

1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 1:21pm On Apr 29, 2017
peaceland:

Thank you @earthrealm,
Well, I got the system installed by a well known company.
I am having my doubts already. It is on installment payment basis though.
We learn everyday; it is a phase and it will pass definitely.
Thanks a lot sir. Grateful
I will stick to only 2 panels for now. changing to pmw is a no-no for me and getting an additional panel at 70-90k is not an option for now.
Thanks
instead of sticking to 2 panels why don't you use the mppt as pwm by paralleling the 3 panels which I believe is the best option for you?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (234) (235) (236) (237) (238) (239) (240) ... (1697) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.