Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,537 members, 7,819,921 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:49 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (283) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2070267 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (280) (281) (282) (283) (284) (285) (286) ... (1697) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 11:46pm On Aug 24, 2017
mounting the cc:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 11:50pm On Aug 24, 2017
first strike: powering up the midnite for duty

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 11:54pm On Aug 24, 2017
the midnite solar and the tristar side by side:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 12:03am On Aug 25, 2017
MorningStar MPPT setting #6 is for flooded batteries at 14.7volts absorb voltage per 12v battery - in my experience this voltage setting only works if you cycle your batteries very shallowly, you are able to get a full charge after each discharge cycle and your battery electrolyte SG is say 1.260max. Most L16s come in between 1.275 to 1.300 SG and require a higher charge voltage otherwise you begin to see the electrolyte in some cells become 'slow' and the cells go weak.

15.4volts absorb appears high to most people but in reality is a good place to be - at that kind of voltage you ensure that the electrolyte is agitated/mixed properly all through the cell and avoid acid stratification - worst consequence is that you may water your batteries more frequently - but frequent watering is a common issue with Trojans neways.

Oh lest I forget, it is necessary at these high voltages to engage your BTS Battery Temperature Sensor so that the controller can deliver a proper temperature compensated charge, throttling back the absorb voltage as battery/ambient temperature rises - if you can't be bothered with BTS then bury your batteries below ground or use any other mechanism to keep them cool at around 25° C. - BTS at around $30 + shipping comes in cheaper I would wager than any other option.

Most batteries die an early death due to undercharging - flooded batteries especially those under severe duty cycles should be charged at higher voltages than would otherwise appear normal.

I have the MorningStar TS MPPT 60 on my US Battery L16 bank - I use setting #8 (custom settings) and set my absorb voltage at 15.2v per 12v battery with an absorption charge length of 2 hours 30 mins - I ramped up gradually from 14.8v based on my observations on performance - you can easily use a crossover network cable to make an Ethernet connection to the controller and then perform any custom settings you choose through their free to download MSView software - I even monitor the system directly over Ethernet though I have the TS-M-2 display meter - I hate that dim yellow screen grin

By and by I recommend you dial up your voltage above 14.7volts except your electrolyte SG at full charge is below 1.275 and you don't go below 30% DoD - you don't have to go as high as 15.4volts, 15.1v or 15.2volts is a good place although as you noted 15.4v is recommended for the older generation L16s - I think the SGs on the newer L16s are lower so they may not need as high as 15.4v to keep them happy.

Some of what I said are not supported by manufacturer recommendations but based on experience and field testing - if you research the foreign online forums you will see a lot of people in support of higher voltages just as others will warn you to stay within manufacturer limits.

In the end you will have to decide whether or not to take the plunge after doing your research.

JohnKester:
@Gurus in the house and users of Trojan L16 batteries.

I have 16 pieces of Trojan L16 batteries, which I have been using for almost two years. I am completely offgrid. I am little concerned that the setpoint (#6 Settings) I am using to charge the batteries using Morningstar 150V 60A controller, may not be charging the batteries adequately. Although this matches the settings recommended by Trojan, but I have my reservations about that and I wonder if the setpoint (#7 Settings) which is designed by Morningstar for specifically for L16 batteries may be more suitable.

What is your take on this? Kindly share your experiences with the batteries generally, and the settings you have found that charge the batteries most adequately.

Cheers

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 12:19am On Aug 25, 2017
now for the review (and i'll try to make it as short as possible):

out of the box, the midnite solar classic 150 feels solid and well built. it's very much unlike
the numerous cheapo charge controllers flooding the market these days.
installation was a breeze partly falling back on past experience and partly referring to the manual
that came with the cc.
programming the controller was a piece of cake using the built-in wizard that comes with the mngp
(classic display panel).
performance wise the midnite classic didn't disappoint. from day one it didn't waste time before
displaying the stuff it was made of. through the clouds and sunshine, it kept pulling in every bit of
juice it could get.
as for durability and reliability, it remains to be seen how long the controller will keep on putting
up this type of stellar performance without issues. time will tell.

next i will be comparing the midnite solar classic and the tristar. this is where things begin to get
more interesting.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 6:28am On Aug 25, 2017
GeorgeD1:

out of the box, the midnite solar classic 150 feels solid and well built. it's very much unlike
installation was a breeze partly falling back on past experience and partly referring to the manual
that came with the cc.
programming the controller was a piece of cake using the built-in wizard that comes with the mngp
(classic display panel).
performance wise the midnite classic didn't disappoint. from day one it didn't waste time before
displaying the stuff it was made of. through the clouds and sunshine, it kept pulling in every bit of
juice it could get.
as for durability and reliability, it remains to be seen how long the controller will keep on putting

next i will be comparing the midnite solar classic and the tristar. this is where things begin to get
more interesting.
Nice one cheesy. The midnite cc will do very well since it was the former outback employees that set up the company. Booked marked and waiting anxiously
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodeface: 7:30am On Aug 25, 2017
@GeorgeD1, welcome on board the midnite solar classic 150 platform, this is certainly a premium CC in the market, the company pride themselves as the best CC in the world and from the performance they are indeed.
I patiently await your evaluations of this premium CC compared to others in the years to come, I have been using mine for a while and it's all good news.
GeorgeD1:

that came with the cc.
(classic display panel).
juice it could get.

more interesting.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 8:19am On Aug 25, 2017
Something tells me MorningStar MPPT will win based on solar yield/charging/power output performance but the Midnite will win based on customizability and flexibility and the various bells and whistles amd configuration options available on it. grin

Waiting anxiously for the final outcome ...

bodeface:
@GeorgeD1, welcome on board the midnite solar classic 150 platform, this is certainly a premium CC in the market, the company pride themselves as the best CC in the world and from the performance they are indeed.
I patiently await your evaluations of this premium CC compared to others in the years to come, I have been using mine for a while and it's all good news.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JohnKester: 9:34am On Aug 25, 2017
NiyiOmoIyunade:
MorningStar MPPT setting #6 is for flooded batteries at 14.7volts absorb voltage per 12v battery - in my experience this voltage setting only works if you cycle your batteries very shallowly, you are able to get a full charge after each discharge cycle and your battery electrolyte SG is say 1.260max. Most L16s come in between 1.275 to 1.300 SG and require a higher charge voltage otherwise you begin to see the electrolyte in some cells become 'slow' and the cells go weak.

15.4volts absorb appears high to most people but in reality is a good place to be - at that kind of voltage you ensure that the electrolyte is agitated/mixed properly all through the cell and avoid acid stratification - worst consequence is that you may water your batteries more frequently - but frequent watering is a common issue with Trojans neways.

Oh lest I forget, it is necessary at these high voltages to engage your BTS Battery Temperature Sensor so that the controller can deliver a proper temperature compensated charge, throttling back the absorb voltage as battery/ambient temperature rises - if you can't be bothered with BTS then bury your batteries below ground or use any other mechanism to keep them cool at around 25° C. - BTS at around $30 + shipping comes in cheaper I would wager than any other option.

Most batteries die an early death due to undercharging - flooded batteries especially those under severe duty cycles should be charged at higher voltages than would otherwise appear normal.

I have the MorningStar TS MPPT 60 on my US Battery L16 bank - I use setting #8 (custom settings) and set my absorb voltage at 15.2v per 12v battery with an absorption charge length of 2 hours 30 mins - I ramped up gradually from 14.8v based on my observations on performance - you can easily use a crossover network cable to make an Ethernet connection to the controller and then perform any custom settings you choose through their free to download MSView software - I even monitor the system directly over Ethernet though I have the TS-M-2 display meter - I hate that dim yellow screen grin

By and by I recommend you dial up your voltage above 14.7volts except your electrolyte SG at full charge is below 1.275 and you don't go below 30% DoD - you don't have to go as high as 15.4volts, 15.1v or 15.2volts is a good place although as you noted 15.4v is recommended for the older generation L16s - I think the SGs on the newer L16s are lower so they may not need as high as 15.4v to keep them happy.

Some of what I said are not supported by manufacturer recommendations but based on experience and field testing - if you research the foreign online forums you will see a lot of people in support of higher voltages just as others will warn you to stay within manufacturer limits.

In the end you will have to decide whether or not to take the plunge after doing your research.

Very many thanks for availing me the wealth of your experience!

Cheers
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 2:21pm On Aug 25, 2017
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Something tells me MorningStar MPPT will win based on solar yield/charging/power output performance but the Midnite will win based on customizability and flexibility and the various bells and whistles amd configuration options available on it. grin

Waiting anxiously for the final outcome ...

I doubt it.

The MorningStar Tristar has one of the best DC-to-DC conversion efficiency stats in the business (something to be really proud of). There's more to energy harvest than conversion especially when you have fickle cloud cover which changes ever so often. I have one or two write-ups on this forum to that effect. The Midnite usually trumps the others on algorithm and frequency of scanning. If you use a battery capacity monitor and shunt, you'd see for yourself. I don't really trust the display on any of the CCs as many (notably the Chinese clones) overstate their stats.

I'll sign off at this point and let GeorgeD1 do the talking.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 2:27pm On Aug 25, 2017
NiyiOmoIyunade:

You're quite right. The less time you have to charge up your batteries, the higher the voltage you'll need. Up to a certain limit. Your neck of the woods is notorious for having overcast skies. Even if we had perpetually clear skies, the cost:benefit ratio forces most people to have RE setups that just can't charge fully in the given hours of sunlight at the recommended voltages (the recommeded settings seem to assume infinite time and unlimited access to recharge power when you need it). The problem isn't with the sizing of the system or the equipment; there just aren't enough hours of sunlight.

You don't wanna be too hard on your batteries either. Luckily, the Midnite has something most others don't - temperature compensated equalisation.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JohnKester: 3:08pm On Aug 25, 2017
Saipro:

You're quite right. The less time you have to charge up your batteries, the higher the voltage you'll need. Up to a certain limit. Your neck of the woods is notorious for having overcast skies. Even if we had perpetually clear skies, the cost:benefit ratio forces most people to have RE setups that just can't charge fully in the given hours of sunlight at the recommended voltages (the recommeded settings seem to assume infinite time and unlimited access to recharge power when you need it). The problem isn't with the sizing of the system or the equipment; there just aren't enough hours of sunlight.

You don't wanna be too hard on your batteries either. Luckily, the Midnite has something most others don't - temperature compensated equalisation.

Many thanks for your contribution. And I must say, from my own experience, you are right regarding the set points recommended by the manufacturers and that is what got me worried. Slow charge that is not steady due to cloud casts, keeps trickling in until it eventually gets fully charged. I got worried that the slow charging never really get the batteries happily charged. Even the activity inside the batteries when charging was not encouraging compared with what I am experiencing with the set point #7.

I am trying not to lose my batteries prematurely and so I have to do things right.

By the way, Morningstar has the temperature compensated equalization too!

Cheers
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 9:55pm On Aug 25, 2017
all,
so finally here comes the head-to-head comparison between midnite solar classic 150 cc
and the tristar mppt-60.

1) build
the tristar comes solid as a rock made of an upper cast aluminum and a lower steel body. so also the
midnite. it looks rugged enough and its appearance exudes quality. a mere glance gives one the
impression of high quality.
-both charge controllers take this round equally.

2) installation
both charge controllers are easy to install with both shipping with a battery temperature probe as standard.
clearly marked positive and negative battery and solar pv terminals reduces possibility of error.
- this round is also a draw.

3) setup
setting up the tristar is a little tricky as you'd have to fiddle with the notorious 'dip switches'. from system
voltage settings to battery type selection and equalization, you will do well to read your manual over and over
to make sure you don't flick the wrong switch else you might just kiss your precious controller goodbye.
the midnite classic on the other hand is a beauty to set up. the built-in wizard helps guide you through the set up
process and you could be done in minutes without even opening one page of manual to read. it is that easy.
-the midnite solar wins this round without contest

4) programming, fine-tuning, etc
coming closely on the heels of setup is programming and fine tuning the charge controller.
the midnite solar has quite an impressive list of user adjustable settings that you could carry out directly from the
mngp (display unit). you could also use the wizbang jr add-on to achieve this. and this helps to make the unit very
flexible and user friendly.
the tristar on the other hand is not that easy to program. i've mentioned the dip switches already. to adjust the few
settings available you will need to install the optional 'msview' software.
-again the midnite classic wins this round.

5) connectivity, internet, etc
both charge controllers connect to the internet when properly configured but it seems the midnite classic has a more
seamless architecture. configuring the modbus for the tristar has always been a pain in the ass for me.
- midnite classic wins this round

6) performance, solar harvest, ability to optimize yield even in cloudy weather
i rotated both charge controllers from north facing panels to south facing panels over the course of two weeks and
monitored their performance with the different arrays. i discovered the tristar always being first to wake up from night
mode or 'rest' early in the morning and being the last to go to sleep in the evenings. also conversion wise (dc to dc)
the tristar seems to shine. however what the midnite classic lacks in terms of its inability to wake up on time, it tries to
make up for it by its superb solar algorithm - although it finds itself always trying to play catch-up for the rest of
the day.
for most days, production from both charge controllers were almost equally matched with only a little variation.
- this round is a draw with the advantage tilting more towards the tristar.

7) durability, reliability, etc
like i said in my earlier post, it's still early days yet with the midnite classic cc so i may not be in a good position to tell
how durable or reliable it may turn out to be. however, i can vouch for the tristar as a solid and reliable unit able to
withstand almost anything thrown at it. unless you deliberately set out to damage it, this cc is guaranteed to serve you
for many years to come.
- this round is inconclusive

8 ) scalability, ease of expansion, etc
perhaps the biggest selling point and over-aching advantage the midnite has over the tristar is its ability to produce
between 80 to 96 amps of charging current with a maximum solar array size of up to 4,300w at 48v. that means as a
user there is more room for expansion. you can start with a few panels and continue building up your system on an
incremental basis by adding panels after panels without worrying about changing/upgrading the charge controller.
the tristar on the other hand maxes out at 60 amps which translates to 2,300w at 48v. anything above this and the
current limit alarm set in.
- midnite classic is the winner for this round

9) conclusion
as can be seen, each charge controller has its own strong points and not so strong points. also, they seem to match evenly
in quite a few areas. at the end of the day, its much like comparing ronaldo and messi - both are kings in their own rights -
or comparing apple and android. while one is a closed system and difficult to manipulate, the other is flexible and easily
configurable - but they both excel in what they do.

10 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 10:25pm On Aug 25, 2017
now, for my vote of thanks:

juo is the man of the moment! smiley

it has really been a very tortuous journey for me. i set out looking for the best and most economical way to replace my
tristar mppt-60 which obviously was undersized for my solar array and i searched in a number of places, contacted
quite a few sources both here and outside the forum and ended up disappointed. i noticed that most sellers still carry prices
of items calculated at an exchange rate of 450 to 550 naira to the dollar. over seven months after dollar has reduced to 365
naira and below, these peeps choose to bury their heads in the sand and pretend not to be aware of the current realities.
in comes juo the life saver! here was i chatting with this unassuming seller on this thread via watsapp and narrating
my ordeal to him and the next thing i knew he was already making arrangements to get me a midnite solar classic 150 at an
incredibly mouth-watering price. initially i thought it was all a joke until i got that much anticipated call from him telling me
that my cc was ready for collection. at the end of the day when i compared what i paid to the amount that a popular online
store is selling their midnite, i just shake my head in disbelief.

not only has juo proven to be a reliable guy to deal with, he has always been consistently delivering quality products at
unbelievably low prices and this successful deal adds another feather to his cap.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 11:14pm On Aug 25, 2017
GeorgeD1:

...he has always been consistently delivering quality products at
unbelievably low prices...
Seconded!

I'm sold.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ca.farrelltonsolar.classic&hl=en

Have you tried the app in the link above?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dapsyra(m): 12:09am On Aug 26, 2017
GeorgeD1:
all,
so finally here comes the head-to-head comparison between midnite solar classic 150 cc
and the tristar mppt-60.

Nice comprehensive review. Welcome to the family. Thank for sharing.

GeorgeD1:
perhaps the biggest selling point and over-aching advantage the midnite has over the tristar is its ability to produce
between 80 to 96 amps of charging current with a maximum solar array size of up to 4,300w at 48v. that means as a
user there is more room for expansion. you can start with a few panels and continue building up your system on an
incremental basis by adding panels after panels without worrying about changing/upgrading the charge controller.
the tristar on the other hand maxes out at 60 amps which translates to 2,300w at 48v. anything above this and the

The Classic 150 can go as high as 4672W at nominal 48V. Mine is running very well on a 4500W array with peak instantaneous harvest of 4460W

GeorgeD1:
like i said in my earlier post, it's still early days yet with the midnite classic cc so i may not be in a good position to tell
how durable or reliable it may turn out to be. however, i can vouch for the tristar as a solid and reliable unit able to
withstand almost anything thrown at it. unless you deliberately set out to damage it, this cc is guaranteed to serve you
for many years to come.

The Classic 150 carries a 5years manufacturer warranty. Feedback from customers on their users' forum show that Midnite Solar honours this warranty promptly without trying to shift blames.

Barezzi:

Seconded!

I'm sold.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ca.farrelltonsolar.classic&hl=en

Have you tried the app in the link above?

That app is the best Android App available to monitor the Classic CC

For windows environment, I recommend this app by Midnite Solar

http://www.midnitesolar.com/firmware.php?firmwareProduct_ID=2

You can also use this app to configure and fine tune the CC in a very easy to use graphical environment

@GeorgeD1, change the MPPT Mode from "Solar" to "Legacy P&O" and watch the Classic dust the Tristar in performance, early wake-up and late shutdown. The solar mode is optimised for clear skies while the Legacy P&O mode is optimised for cloudy skies. It is cloudy all year round in Nigeria especially around the coastal areas because of our tropical climate.

Head for https://mymidnite2.com, register and then configure your Classic 150 to upload logging data to your account. This will give you beautiful graphical presentation of all vital data from your CC.

5 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 2:07am On Aug 26, 2017
Finally, the much promised review from somone here in Nigeria. A man of experience who thoroughly knows his onions.

So it appears the Midnite Classic won over the MorningStar overall - though I find the setup complexity issue relative having setup quite a few MorningStar CCs - I don't even think about it these days - there is something comfortingly solid & reliable about flipping dip switches. grin

I wanted to point out that the MorningStar is not limited to 2300watts - more like 3200watts output power as the below capture from my LiveView shows.

[img]https://4.bp..com/-BQvgsfBjyvc/WaFO4mUUqfI/AAAAAAAAAak/Lzt0ImVM2-IDQo0JJauvHgZROwUAeqDIQCLcBGAs/s1600/CC.jpg[/img]

So the jury is out on whether the Legacy P&O mode will clearly beat the MorningStar - hopefully you get a chance to try that and report to the house.

So I guess the next review would be the Magnum PT100 vs other CCs - hopefully someone would do the honors

GeorgeD1:
all,
and the tristar mppt-60.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 6:29am On Aug 26, 2017
GeorgeD1:

it has really been a very tortuous journey for me. i set out looking for the best and most economical way to replace my
tristar mppt-60 which obviously was undersized for my solar array and i searched in a number of places, contacted
quite a few sources both here and outside the forum and ended up disappointed. i noticed that most sellers still carry prices
of items calculated at an exchange rate of 450 to 550 naira to the dollar. over seven months after dollar has reduced to 365
naira and below, these peeps choose to bury their heads in the sand and pretend not to be aware of the current realities.
in comes juo the life saver! here was i chatting with this unassuming seller on this thread via watsapp and narrating
my ordeal to him and the next thing i knew he was already making arrangements to get me a midnite solar classic 150 at an
incredibly mouth-watering price. initially i thought it was all a joke until i got that much anticipated call from him telling me
that my cc was ready for collection. at the end of the day when i compared what i paid to the amount that a popular online

not only has juo proven to be a reliable guy to deal with, he has always been consistently delivering quality products at
unbelievably low prices and this successful deal adds another feather to his cap.

Thanks for this review. It adds to the heap of knowledge on here. I have always suspected the midnight classic is indeed the lion king of offgrid charge controllers due to its legendary status among offgriders. I remember reading somewhere that they and Outback are a branch from the same tree and their founders it was who pioneered the concept of MPPT solar controllers.

About JUO. He is the most understated Underestimated unassuming seller in this part. I remembered one time one of my controllers went lemon and even though it was under warranty and a replacement was on the way from the manufacturers, the time lapse meant I would be without solar insurance policy for close to 3 weeks. This happened on a saturday, I called JUO explained to him my situation and informed him of my need to have a new controller the next day in Abuja... The fact that I had the controller in my hands is not the exceptional part, it is that JUO sent the controller even though I explained to him my tight financial state and the fact that he might not be paid until much latter. BY sunday evening I was taking delivery of the charge controller and crisis was averted.

Just recently procured 4 Front Access AGM batteries from from him for a neighbour, The price he offered those batteries was so mouth watering, I give him 20K back for the boys. My neigbour called me last night to thank me for the batteries. Said they are working better than what he expected.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by babaegun(m): 6:35am On Aug 26, 2017
GeorgeD1:
all, as promised last night, i will attempt to do a review of my new midnite solar classic 150 cc. but first things first. here are the installation pictures.

@GeorgeD1

Thanks for this wonderful review of the Midnight Classic 150. Quite insightful. From the pictures to the analysis, everything was just fantastic.

From the comparison, I was so sure the Midnight Classic will carry the day and you just confirmed it.

One thing you fail to mention though which I saw from the picture, the Midnight Classic can also work with Hydro & Wind power aside Solar. I think this is a plus too. I doubt if the Morning star have that capability. That triple feature is missing in most charge controllers. Most ship with the Solar capability ONLY.

What about the Android/ios/windows apps suggested by dapsyra,, the Internet ready features. The Midnight Classic is really wonderful because in other Charge Controllers, you will have to pay more to access those features.

GeorgeD1:

JUO is really the man! Any day, any time. His Customer / After sales support is simply super. Don't know if the guy did ITIL self cheesy .

Once Again, GeorgeD1, Thanks a million.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by oloet: 6:46am On Aug 26, 2017
see free advert for juo, keep it up... one thing I believe in life is that if you work hard, your hard work speaks for you later.... kudos juo!!!

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 7:35am On Aug 26, 2017
GeorgeD1:

my big Bros your boy dey loyal. Thanks for being our mentor

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 7:38am On Aug 26, 2017
bigrovar:

Thanks for this review. It adds to the heap of knowledge on here. I have always suspected the midnight classic is indeed the lion king of offgrid charge controllers due to its legendary status among offgriders. I remember reading somewhere that they and Outback are a branch from the same tree and their founders it was who pioneered the concept of MPPT solar controllers.

About JUO. He is the most understated Underestimated unassuming seller in this part. I remembered one time one of my controllers went lemon and even though it was under warranty and a replacement was on the way from the manufacturers, the time lapse meant I would be without solar insurance policy for close to 3 weeks. This happened on a saturday, I called JUO explained to him my situation and informed him of my need to have a new controller the next day in Abuja... The fact that I had the controller in my hands is not the exceptional part, it is that JUO sent the controller even though I explained to him my tight financial state and the fact that he might not be paid until much latter. BY sunday evening I was taking delivery of the charge controller and crisis was averted.

Just recently procured 4 Front Access AGM batteries from from him for a neighbour, The price he offered those batteries was so mouth watering, I give him 20K back for the boys. My neigbour called me last night to thank me for the batteries. Said they are working better than what he expected.
thanks rovar
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 7:40am On Aug 26, 2017
babaegun:

@GeorgeD1

Thanks for this wonderful review of the Midnight Classic 150. Quite insightful. From the pictures to the analysis, everything was just fantastic.

From the comparison, I was so sure the Midnight Classic will carry the day and you just confirmed it.

One thing you fail to mention though which I saw from the picture, the Midnight Classic can also work with Hydro & Wind power aside Solar. I think this is a plus too. I doubt if the Morning star have that capability. That triple feature is missing in most charge controllers. Most ship with the Solar capability ONLY.

What about the Android/ios/windows apps suggested by dapsyra,, the Internet ready features. The Midnight Classic is really wonderful because in other Charge Controllers, you will have to pay more to access those features.

JUO is really the man! Any day, any time. His Customer / After sales support is simply super. Don't know if the guy did ITIL self cheesy .

thanks. His model is solar and wind

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 7:40am On Aug 26, 2017
oloet:
see free advert for juo, keep it up... one thing I believe in life is that if you work hard, your hard work speaks for you later.... kudos juo!!!
thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 8:59am On Aug 26, 2017
GeorgeD1:

Welcome on board .. Nice you finally got the midnite order tru James ! My only dislike about midnite classic is the thermostatic fans which kicks in almost every time (2 underneath & 1 on top) & must be serviced when they get weak to avoid internal temp rise . Secondly it comes with real small 16mm ports for solar - battery cables , if you were using 25mm cables above on morningstar, you will find it a bit difficult to fix on midnite . . overall , its a nice mppt ! I also await users of the magnum mppt to attest -give a review on its ruggedness smiley
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 9:13am On Aug 26, 2017
JUO:
thanks
please Are you the JUO commercial on Konga?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 9:16am On Aug 26, 2017
GeorgeD1:
all,
and the tristar mppt-60.

1) build
the tristar comes solid as a rock made of an upper cast aluminum and a lower steel body. so also the
midnite. it looks rugged enough and its appearance exudes quality. a mere glance gives one the
impression of high quality.
-both charge controllers take this round equally.

2) installation
both charge controllers are easy to install with both shipping with a battery temperature probe as standard.
clearly marked positive and negative battery and solar pv terminals reduces possibility of error.
- this round is also a draw.

3) setup
setting up the tristar is a little tricky as you'd have to fiddle with the notorious 'dip switches'. from system
voltage settings to battery type selection and equalization, you will do well to read your manual over and over
to make sure you don't flick the wrong switch else you might just kiss your precious controller goodbye.
the midnite classic on the other hand is a beauty to set up. the built-in wizard helps guide you through the set up
process and you could be done in minutes without even opening one page of manual to read. it is that easy.
-the midnite solar wins this round without contest

4) programming, fine-tuning, etc
coming closely on the heels of setup is programming and fine tuning the charge controller.
the midnite solar has quite an impressive list of user adjustable settings that you could carry out directly from the
mngp (display unit). you could also use the wizbang jr add-on to achieve this. and this helps to make the unit very
flexible and user friendly.
the tristar on the other hand is not that easy to program. i've mentioned the dip switches already. to adjust the few
settings available you will need to install the optional 'msview' software.
-again the midnite classic wins this round.

5) connectivity, internet, etc
both charge controllers connect to the internet when properly configured but it seems the midnite classic has a more
seamless architecture. configuring the modbus for the tristar has always been a pain in the ass for me.
- midnite classic wins this round

6) performance, solar harvest, ability to optimize yield even in cloudy weather
i rotated both charge controllers from north facing panels to south facing panels over the course of two weeks and
monitored their performance with the different arrays. i discovered the tristar always being first to wake up from night
mode or 'rest' early in the morning and being the last to go to sleep in the evenings. also conversion wise (dc to dc)
the tristar seems to shine. however what the midnite classic lacks in terms of its inability to wake up on time, it tries to
make up for it by its superb solar algorithm - although it finds itself always trying to play catch-up for the rest of
the day.
for most days, production from both charge controllers were almost equally matched with only a little variation.
- this round is a draw with the advantage tilting more towards the tristar.

for many years to come.

9) conclusion
as can be seen, each charge controller has its own strong points and not so strong points. also, they seem to match evenly
in quite a few areas. at the end of the day, its much like comparing ronaldo and messi - both are kings in their own rights -
or comparing apple and android. while one is a closed system and difficult to manipulate, the other is flexible and easily
Wonderful review. You cant go wrong with any of the top brands trisar,midnite, magnum outback etc
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 9:17am On Aug 26, 2017
GeorgeD1:

JUO is the man indeed!!! even outside the forum, he's always ready to explain and share his knowledge without any reservations.
"whatever a man sows, that he also reap". he'll continue to reap the benefits of his good works

5 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 12:10pm On Aug 26, 2017
DUNKA:
please Are you the JUO commercial on Konga?
yes bro
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 12:12pm On Aug 26, 2017
mcTrinity:

JUO is the man indeed!!! even outside the forum, he's always ready to explain and share his knowledge without any reservations.
"whatever a man sows, that he also reap". he'll continue to reap the benefits of his good works
thanks

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 12:18pm On Aug 26, 2017
This one that everybody is bashing MorningStar anyhow angry - I can confirm that the Morningstar MPPT CC is capable of working with both Wind Turbines and Solar PV Panels, it is entirely solid state (has no mechanical parts e.g. fan that can fail) and let's not forget that GeorgeD1 did point out that the advantage tilts in favor of Morningstar for solar charging - the jury is still out on the performance of the Midnite Classic in Legacy PO mode whether it will be superior to the MorningStar's

Dollar for dollar these are both excellent controllers - the Morningstar costs at least $100/NGN40,000 less than the Midnite Classic for the base options without add-ons - assuming the same base materials/technology used in both controllers it is only reasonable to expect the maximum amps output to be less on the cheaper of the controllers so you see max 60a on the $535 Morningstar and 80a/96a on the Midnite Classic for ~$650

Like Kiekie also pointed out, the Morningstar comfortably takes up to 35MM cable without trimming the cables whereas the battery and PV connection points on the Midnite Classic appear flimsy/puny in comparison and limited to around 16MM - 16MM cable is rated maximum 60a if I recall right - I question how safely one may run 80a current or higher through relatively undersized 16MM cable except one is using very fine and high grade welding cable.

All in all a good show and kudos to GeorgeD1 for his honest review, I hope to see more reviews like this - in the end, everyone will always have their preferences both in light of and regardless of the facts but we can at least deepen the knowledge base with our comments and reviews on this thread.

Like Dunka said, it will be hard for one to go wrong with any of the premium brand controllers - there will be differences but each will perform well relative to the others.

Magnum PT100 vs. Midnite vs. MorningStar review anyone

babaegun:

@GeorgeD1

What about the Android/ios/windows apps suggested by dapsyra , the Internet ready features. The Midnight Classic is really wonderful because in other Charge Controllers, you will have to pay more to access those features.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Chuckdee(m): 1:09pm On Aug 26, 2017
GeorgeD1:
all,
and the tristar mppt-60.

9) conclusion

Lovely unbiased review indeed. Thanks GeorgeD. The Midnight Classic 150 is an excellent CC, and I have no regrets ever buying one. @ bolded above and just as dapsyra has rightly pointed out, it take take more than 4300W, I have a 4500 setup and it handles it very well.

kiekie1:

Welcome on board .. Nice you finally got the midnite order tru James ! My only dislike about midnite classic is the thermostatic fans which kicks in almost every time (2 underneath & 1 on top) & must be serviced when they get weak to avoid internal temp rise . Secondly it comes with real small 16mm ports for solar - battery cables , if you were using 25mm cables above on morningstar, you will find it a bit difficult to fix on midnite . . overall , its a nice mppt ! I also await users of the magnum mppt to attest -give a review on its ruggedness smiley

@Kiekie, The 2 fans kick in to always to cool down the CC when needed however, the top fan you mentioned is the Turbo Fan which seldom kicks in, infact I have had mine running for over 5 months and it has not for one day been activated. Its a no brainer that your CC should be installed in a well ventilated area to also aid in air-flow and cooling. The fans are very reliable too and I know people that have used classic 150 for over 5 years w/out a fan failure...

Note that the "no fan" units (Tristar for example) generally can not handle as much power as the fan-cooled CC's like the Classic 150, and require much larger heat sinks to manage what they do. It would be interesting to test the actual operating temperatures of two comparable units and see how the cooling difference affects longevity. If the non-fan type really runs even a bit warmer it will have shorter life, all else being equal.

I think its a great feat to achieve upto 96V in such a small form factor like that of the 150.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (280) (281) (282) (283) (284) (285) (286) ... (1697) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: olaztek(m), Buchika and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 199
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.