Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,398 members, 7,822,835 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:44 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (376) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2076413 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (373) (374) (375) (376) (377) (378) (379) ... (1701) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dapsyra(m): 8:12pm On Mar 23, 2018
Today will go down in history as my poorest harvest since I ventured into renewable energy more than 10years ago.

There was just NO SUN in Abuja today. It rained almost all day.

I managed to harvest a meagre 3.000kWh ==> an efficiency of 0.667kWh/kW.

I have never had it so bad!

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by sinistrian(m): 8:41pm On Mar 23, 2018
dapsyra:
Today will go down in history as my poorest harvest since I ventured into renewable energy more than 10years ago.

Well, at least you got your panels cleaned for free grin

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by babaegun(m): 8:53pm On Mar 23, 2018
@dapsyra

You are not alone!!! Rainy and almost sunless. I was able to generate 2.4kWH. At a time, I had to call my wife to turn off some appliances when I noticed the terrible production from emoncms and Pvoutput. Thank God I monitor it live.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dapsyra(m): 9:06pm On Mar 23, 2018
sinistrian:

Well, at least you got your panels cleaned for free grin

Thanks for showing me the bright side of it.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by nisol: 9:15pm On Mar 23, 2018
abeg who get used 200watts panel
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by toluxa1(m): 11:45pm On Mar 23, 2018
sinistrian:

I need to try this out

I do Amazon Checkout at Cheap rate.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 6:50am On Mar 24, 2018
Barezzi:
Agc (amazon gift cards) or amazon checkout.
1. Buy agc at between 275 and 290 N/$ depending on the merchant.
2. Redeem in your amazon account.
3. Purchase away with reckless abandon... Lol

ok nice, where do you buy the amazon gift cards, i guess from other resellers, so would appreciate a link to such persons,
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 8:00am On Mar 24, 2018
@ dragnet hope you are not investigating which comment to delete grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NoMoreTrolling: 9:13am On Mar 24, 2018
Hey guys, was still researching the topic of Air Conditioning and found an LG inverter AC that does variable tonnage.

That is beyond cool. So it can vary it's cooling BTU from 100% down to about 40% and being that it uses a variable speed compressor, the current at low tonnage is also less.

So what does this mean for us using solar Well, it means we can now have a 1hp Air conditioner that can run on just 560 watts on "LOW POWER MODE", i.e "LOW TONNAGE MODE".

So in essence, you can set your temps down to say 16 during the day and run it at 100% tonnage, using between 800-1000 watts of power. At night, you can still run it, but if you run at low power, you'd be drawing only 560 watts.

On a 48v system, 560watts divided by 48v = 11.6amps, which is very very manageable.

Setting the temperature to 27 degrees celcius at night, instead of the usual low 16 most people do would also help to improve savings as it cuts down on the compressors duty cycle. So for every hour, if you set the temp up to as high as 27 or 28, the compressor might only have to run for 20 minutes, thereby increasing savings in terms of current draw from the batteries.

This is great news, so you can now have an AC'd environment, 24/7 if you so desire, for just a little power, excellent.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NoMoreTrolling: 9:18am On Mar 24, 2018
dapsyra:

lol, Kpele!!

I am almost dreading the months to come, as it's gonna be rainy season in Lagos, with just 3 sun hours average per day sad

I use the following chart:

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 9:52am On Mar 24, 2018
NoMoreTrolling:

lol, Kpele!!

I am almost dreading the months to come, as it's gonna be rainy season in Lagos, with just 3 sun hours average per day sad

this is one of the major challenges of solar - cloudy/rainy weather. however, with proper
system sizing, it can be easily overcome. that is why the rule of thumb for an ideal battery
bank size is 3 days minimum backup. this takes care of days when there is less than adequate
sunshine, rainy weather and total blackout just like dapsyra experienced in abuja recently.
but as always, the drawback seems to be cost. who can afford to buy so many number of batteries
to achieve that level of autonomy? and what about the solar panels that goes with it?
too many questions but few answers...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 10:13am On Mar 24, 2018
In as much as I hate generators, a small gen should always be available even if not used to act as backup for situations like this. The cost of running a small gen few days in a year far outweighs the cost of having enough batteries to covers for many days.
GeorgeD1:

this is one of the major challenges of solar - cloudy/rainy weather. however, with proper
system sizing, it can be easily overcome. that is why the rule of thumb for an ideal battery
bank size is 3 days minimum backup. this takes care of days when there is less than adequate
sunshine, rainy weather and total blackout just like dapsyra experienced in abuja recently.
but as always, the drawback seems to be cost. who can afford to buy so many number of batteries
to achieve that level of autonomy? and what about the solar panels that goes with it?
too many questions but few answers...

10 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Pharyn(m): 10:55am On Mar 24, 2018
Our team would be available in Abuja after Easter (2 weeks time) for an installation.
[VICTRON 48/5000/100/MPPT150/100; 400Ah@48V; 15*300Wp Mono; 30 sq.meter Car-port Construction etc]

If you don't mind, we could come over.

0909 9988 770

pranil:
Is there any recommended installer in Abuja for doing quality jobs

Based on my annual tradition I am adding 1 KW on the roof and would like to take the opportunity to rearrange my strings
So basically supply 1kW panels, 6 mm2 cable, aluminium rails etc. (rails including existing 10 250 Watt panels)

wbr

Anil

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 10:56am On Mar 24, 2018
dmerciful,
that is serious food for thought but at the end of the day I guess its a
choice we all have to make one way or another.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Pharyn(m): 11:14am On Mar 24, 2018
Kindly share the source, please.
Thanks.

NoMoreTrolling:

lol, Kpele!!

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 12:48pm On Mar 24, 2018
Please is this 'variable tonnage' inverter AC different from the normal LG inverter AC we all know?

NoMoreTrolling:
Hey guys, was still researching the topic of Air Conditioning and found an LG inverter AC that does variable tonnage.

That is beyond cool. So it can vary it's cooling BTU from 100% down to about 40% and being that it uses a variable speed compressor, the current at low tonnage is also less.

So what does this mean for us using solar Well, it means we can now have a 1hp Air conditioner that can run on just 560 watts on "LOW POWER MODE", i.e "LOW TONNAGE MODE".

So in essence, you can set your temps down to say 16 during the day and run it at 100% tonnage, using between 800-1000 watts of power. At night, you can still run it, but if you run at low power, you'd be drawing only 560 watts.

On a 48v system, 560watts divided by 48v = 11.6amps, which is very very manageable.

Setting the temperature to 27 degrees celcius at night, instead of the usual low 16 most people do would also help to improve savings as it cuts down on the compressors duty cycle. So for every hour, if you set the temp up to as high as 27 or 28, the compressor might only have to run for 20 minutes, thereby increasing savings in terms of current draw from the batteries.

This is great news, so you can now have an AC'd environment, 24/7 if you so desire, for just a little power, excellent.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 1:19pm On Mar 24, 2018
I have this same argument with some stubborn clients who want to pay for a minimalist system (read small battery bank) but abuse it regularly with heavy loads - they stubbornly insist this is the only way (undersizing battery bank and other aspects of the system) that makes financial sense.

My current battery bank is sized for at least 3 days of autonomy even with overnight AC use. So far I have yet to call upon my generator in the last 6 months even on the worst of days, it would take at least 4 successive days of rains and cloudy weather to drain my battery bank completely and by day 2 of low sun and cloudy weather I would have stopped using overnight AC on account of the cool weather and thereby bought myself a few more days of battery backup. grin

The few clients I have who have taken my advice at the design stage have all practically forgotten how the PHCN side of their house works and have certainly forgotten completely how to put on their generators grin

Again most offgriders abroad keep a small backup Gen for emergency power just as Oga DMerciful said. Just last month, I bragged to one of my sceptical clients that if I had NGN3Million to spend today, I would certainly apply it towards getting a Lithium battery bank and 1000w more in PV panels vs. using it to buy a 20kva Diesel Gen.

Such is the level of confidence I have come to have in the sustainability of solar power and the offgrid life.

GeorgeD1:
dmerciful,
that is serious food for thought but at the end of the day I guess its a
choice we all have to make one way or another.

6 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ANEB(m): 3:57pm On Mar 24, 2018
Thank you all for your encouraging words.
The make is Power Safe V batteries 12V 190AH 16#
It's really getting old and tired but manageable for now.

babaegun:

@ANEB

Thanks for sharing your setup with the house!! You have a fantastic setup.

Wow! this is painful. The solar charging part is faulty. Hope this is not a drawback for hybrid systems? The proposed FM 80 will fix the issue but it means spending more. For me, I don't charge my batteries at all with utility power again. I completely disabled it. I hope you will be able to do this when you increase your solar panels anyway.

Whats the name/model of these batteries? 4 Years. Are they still strong?

All in all, am sure you are happy with your setup. Can you imagine how much you have saved on petrol and generator noise? That's the beauty of Renewable energy. cheesy

Do enjoy and keep us informed always.

Cheers.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 5:16pm On Mar 24, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnVg_TqwXwk

DMerciful:
In as much as I hate generators, a small gen should always be available even if not used to act as backup for situations like this. The cost of running a small gen few days in a year far outweighs the cost of having enough batteries to covers for many days.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kennedyugo: 5:31pm On Mar 24, 2018
mukhcech:
Good day my people... Viva FTA. Guys this is my battery and the charger information.... Pls can I get a minimal solar setup to charge this.... Our transformer don blow. Please help me mention the gurus in the house. Thanks.

My Batteries are 40ah...The real problem is getting a CC that can give the same output as the Charger. Thank you

CC Saipro
Please how much and where did you get those batteries? I need them also. Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ANEB(m): 5:48pm On Mar 24, 2018
Is there anyone in the house using this battery?

LiFeYPO4 Lithium Iron Yttrium Phosphate Battery

I do like to know your experience and the cost.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NextDayPP: 5:58pm On Mar 24, 2018
Yingli Solar, 58, Opebi rd. Ikeja currently have 33ah, 38ah, 55ah and 70ah if you're in Lagos.

kennedyugo:

Please how much and where did you get those batteries? I need them also. Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by duwdu: 7:04pm On Mar 24, 2018
NoMoreTrolling:

Please share at least one link to the product page.

P34c3
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kennedyugo: 7:13pm On Mar 24, 2018
NextDayPP:

Yingli Solar, 58, Opebi rd. Ikeja currently have 33ah, 38ah, 55ah and 70ah if you're in Lagos.

Thanks, but please do you have their contacts? I don't say in Lagos.
Edit: I found their contact info on Google. Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by duwdu: 7:14pm On Mar 24, 2018
NoMoreTrolling:

lol, Kpele!!

Quite handy a chart. Thanks for posting.

P34c3

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Pharyn(m): 9:37pm On Mar 24, 2018
grin

The Vehicle ni o.
Our solar installation Double Cabin.
3.5m pere.

WhatsApp/Text/Call: o-9o9-88-77-0

https://www.nairaland.com/4409468/company-used-volkwagen-vw-amarok-double#66011923

davodyguy:

Motor or panels?

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by lexi28(m): 9:55am On Mar 25, 2018
mank1234:
In the tradition of the house, I'm sharing my very first installation.

This is my first dealing (3 weeks ago) with kiekie1 and he didn't disappoint. Paid for items on Saturday and by Monday it was delivered to Akwa Ibom. Was initially skeptical about the brand but with his assurance, I must say the brand - Foresolar is beyond expectation.

325W foresolar * 2 for a total of 650W wired in series.
60A tristar MPPT controller with no meter
60A and 32A circuit breaker - wired such that if the battery is disconnected the solar is disconnected as well through the 60A breaker. The 32A breaker is solely for solar.
Chinese meter is for monitoring power into or out of the battery. The monitoring for the controller will be by Ethernet. The router is yet to arrived.

The attached images were taken at 4:20pm today. The total current drawn by inverter as fridge, tv and fan are on is 11.2A. So in essence the current from controller is 14.9A. The setup still manage to pump 1A to 7A during the period it is shaded due to the panel location.

Hi, please can you give info on where you got the chinese battery meter? Many thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by davodyguy: 10:58am On Mar 25, 2018
Hello house.

Want to ask this question in order to be guided.

I currently have the following

12v 1000watts
2*200Ah batteries GEL
40A E-Smart CC
2*270 watts 24 volts Auxino panels (in series)

Upgraded to but not yet connected
1# 270watts Auxino panel
1# 250 watts Unilink panel
1# 2kva Prag Inverter 24v

My question how best can I connect the panels so as not to exceed 100v Panel rating on the CC

Series the 4 panels to produce 96v 1060 watts?
Parallel the 4 panels to produce 24v 1060 watts?
Parallel 2 to produce 24v 540watts + series 2 to produce 48v 520watts

Kindly advise on how to connect the 4 panels (270+270+270+250) watts

Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 11:10am On Mar 25, 2018
lexi28:

Hi, please can you give info on where you got the chinese battery meter? Many thanks

Aliexpress. search for 200A dc meter
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 11:11am On Mar 25, 2018
If you are sure your 40A E-Smart CC is rated for 100v and is indeed capable of MPPT tracking and battery charging/power output then;

Connect two 270w panels in series to produce 540watts max let us call this ARRAY1

then

Connect the 270w and 250w panels in series to produce 500watts max (Yes 500watts) let us call this ARRAY2.

See attached diagram although my drawing is rather crude.

Then connect ARRAY1 and ARRAY2 in parallel to make a 1,040watts 48v nominal PV array.

If you are not sure what to do at any point then please call for expert help.

davodyguy:
Hello house.

Want to ask this question in order to be guided.

I currently have the following

12v 1000watts
2*200Ah batteries GEL
40A E-Smart CC
2*270 watts 24 volts Auxino panels (in series)

Upgraded to but not yet connected
1# 270watts Auxino panel
1# 250 watts Unilink panel
1# 2kva Prag Inverter 24v

My question how best can I connect the panels so as not to exceed 100v Panel rating on the CC

Series the 4 panels to produce 96v 1060 watts?
Parallel the 4 panels to produce 24v 1060 watts?
Parallel 2 to produce 24v 540watts + series 2 to produce 48v 520watts

Kindly advise on how to connect the 4 panels (270+270+270+250) watts

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by davodyguy: 11:47am On Mar 25, 2018
NiyiOmoIyunade:
If you are sure your 40A E-Smart CC is rated for 100v and is indeed capable of MPPT tracking and battery charging/power output then;

Connect two 270w panels in series to produce 540watts max let us call this ARRAY1

then

Connect the 270w and 250w panels in series to produce 500watts max (Yes 500watts) let us call this ARRAY2

Then connect ARRAY1 and ARRAY2 in parallel to make a 1,040watts 48v nominal PV array.

If you are not sure what to do at any point then please call for expert help.

Thanks Niyi. I've been having this discussion with my friend Dmercifu, but want you and others to contribute as well.

I'm definitely going to call for help. I'm a DIY but when it comes to electricals, I call for help.

But some said that the voltage of the Panels coming into the CC can go higher than 100PV if we should do Series 1 + Series 2 and then parallel the negatives and Positives to send to the CC.

Please comment on that part, then I'm good
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by davodguy: 11:50am On Mar 25, 2018
Thanks Niyi. I've been having this discussion with my friend Dmercifu, but want you and others to contribute as well.

I'm definitely going to call for help. I'm a DIY but when it comes to electricals, I call for help.

But some said that the voltage of the Panels coming into the CC can go higher than 100PV if we should do Series 1 + Series 2 and then parallel the negatives and Positives to send to the CC.

Please comment on that part, then I'm good

(1) (2) (3) ... (373) (374) (375) (376) (377) (378) (379) ... (1701) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Danibestguy, Dam5reey(m), hollaryincar(m), Queed and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.