Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,108 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:06 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (380) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2063662 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (377) (378) (379) (380) (381) (382) (383) ... (1694) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 12:06pm On Mar 31, 2018
kiekie1:

Hello,
I have a similar fluke which reads only AC currents .. Isn't your fluke working well ?

Putting them up for sale at affordable price ;

Fluke 321 with pouch bag

Overview:

Fluke 321 and 322 are designed to verify the presence of load current, AC voltage and continuity of circuits, switches, fuses and contacts. These small and rugged clamp meters are ideally suited for current measurements up to 400 A in tight cable compartments. The Fluke 322 also offers DC voltage measurements and has a higher resolution for loads below 40 A.

Price : 10k

Contact ;
Smartcell global services
081-350-31951

the one you have in the pic, does it measure DC AMP?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by nonoski: 1:06pm On Mar 31, 2018
babaegun:

@nonoski

Please take a look at the specification for FLEXMAX 80 before you max out on the max. power and voltage specification. Kindly keep us updated with diagrams of your installation. Best of luck
Yes I know the max wattage for flex max 80 using 48v system is 4000 watts like u pointed out but from what I gathered from this forum is that a 4500 watts system will most likely not do above 75% - 80% (3600w max) from my pv due to inefficiencies.
So I think I will be doing just fine

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by nonoski: 1:12pm On Mar 31, 2018
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Although all CCs have some overcurrent protection built in, all. manufacturers recommend to use a sort of external DC Disconnect device aka overcurrent protection aka DC breaker or SLOWBLOW fuse between battery and CC.

Given that your PV Array and CC may be capable of pushing up to 80amps DC into your batteries and/or loads under ideal conditions, I would suggest you use minimum 25mm flex cable or best case 35mm flex between your CC and battery bank. This will help guarantee the cables always run cool and also prevent losses in case you have a long distance between the CC and batteries.

I suggest you move that 100a DC breaker from between the CC and PV array and use it for the CC to battery instead. Your 4500w array set as 3S 5P will be running on average between 80v to 120v under load with max amps you will see on the PV side between 40 to 50amps. Thus you can get by with a 63a DC breaker on the PV side.

There is one small but very important matter to consider when it comes to breaking the CC to battery connection. What happens if for whatever reason the breaker between CC and battery trips while the solar PV breaker is still closed/hot/live? The only Morningstar CC I ever lost was destroyed by just such an occurence and afterwards I started using manual disconnects only. People like Oga DMerciful circumvent this by using 2 pole breakers between the CC and battery - one pole breaks CC to battery while the other pole breaks PV to CC. This way if the battery breaker ever trips, the PV is simultaneously disconnected from the CC. Further upstream, there is yet another DC breaker between the first breaker and the actual PV array and with this you can easily isolate/shut down the PV for maintenance or troubleshooting. This is a clever workaround but may still fail in a scenario where one pole of the breaker e.g the PV side burns and remains hot/live such that the breaker tripping disconnects battery but not the PV to CC connection.

Oga NiyiOmoIyunade Based on this ur post I'm revising my schematics to the the picture I attached below.
Thank you once again for all ur guidance.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by makavele: 2:07pm On Mar 31, 2018
ceaser:

Bro, I'm still temporizing o. Wanna get it all right and be dead sure before i start connecting stuffs. grin

Just give it to us anyhow !!!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by makavele: 3:06pm On Mar 31, 2018
nonoski:

Yes I know the max wattage for flex max 80 using 48v system is 4000 watts like u pointed out but from what I gathered from this forum is that a 4500 watts system will most likely not do above 75% - 80% (3600w max) from my pv due to inefficiencies.

God help you the day a solar flare occurs !!!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by sharks776(m): 3:19pm On Mar 31, 2018
sinistrian:
Just picked up the Morningstar TS-MPPT-60 from @Ola28. Yes, it's the 60Amp Tristar Mppt and yes, it was the same price.

How much?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by babaegun(m): 3:33pm On Mar 31, 2018
nonoski:

@Nonoski

That may not be true in all cases. And with the way your solar panels are receiving fresh air on those stakes, I believe you may experience 100% or better performance on your panels one day. I use the Flexmax 80 too and I noticed I did 100% briefly one day on my 3000 watts Felicity Solar Panels.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by nonoski: 3:35pm On Mar 31, 2018
makavele:

God help you the day a solar flare occurs !!!

LOL that's why I'm trying to get the circuit breaker disconnect amperage right so the breaker trips of when too much current passes through it.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 4:26pm On Mar 31, 2018
I'm not sure i see the issue here.
If miraculously his 4.5kw array deliver 100% power, the cc will simply throttle the current.

@Nonoski, from the 2 pole breaker to the battery(cc to battery) should be rated 100A, not 63A dc.

babaegun:
...I believe you may experience 100% or better performance on your panels one day.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 4:32pm On Mar 31, 2018
pranil:

daikin is approximately 10 % more efficient and much quieter - LG has more gimmicks including a phone app ( only for troubleshooting ) Also LG looks more futuratsic with white LED display behind panel while daikin has usual green red blue LED's

I ended up fitting bedrooms with Daikin and Parlour with LG - I have total 4 ac's running from my Ipower inverters

The links you provided do not appear to put the price and there is no way to place orders from the link. Are these product available on the common online malls (k*nga, J*mia and the likes) where orders can be placed. Please give the info. Thank you.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by sinistrian(m): 4:43pm On Mar 31, 2018
sharks776:

How much?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 4:49pm On Mar 31, 2018
pranil:

And yes all my bulbs, water pumps fridges etc are maxed out in terms of energy efficiency including switching off automatically on schedule or movement except the Plasma TV which the madam of the house refuses to change smiley

Plasma TV na terrible power hugger o. Recently changed LG 42 inch was rated at 600 watts.

Do you also place the fridge on solar comfortably as you do the deep freezer? Someone advised me that it is better to have freezer on solar than a fridge cos the former starts up at more frequent times than freezers do, the compressor thereby drains more stored power from high start up currents. He gave the same arguments for air conditioners placed on solar Inverters. Is this argument very valid in your opinion?

Opinions of other pros in the house are highly welcome.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 5:52pm On Mar 31, 2018
Congratulations Sir and welcome to the club.

With the MorningStar, you will now see clearly that 'charge controller pass charge controller'.

Please come back and give the house your reviews soon and if perchance you have any questions about any aspects e.g. custom programming, please do not hesitate to ask.

I am assuming you will want to monitor your system performance at some point? Instead of buying that TS-M-2 or remote meter with their sickly yellow screen - just get yourself an RJ45 crossover aka network cable and connect directly to your PC - the cable costs under $10 and is also commonly available in Lagos (Computer Village).

Via PC you get access to convenient live monitoring as well as data logs with many parameters of interest conveniently on display.

sinistrian:
Just picked up the Morningstar TS-MPPT-60 from @Ola28. Yes, it's the 60Amp Tristar Mppt and yes, it was the same price.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 6:58pm On Mar 31, 2018
nonoski:
Good day house
In continuation of my last post where I'm trying to add solar panels to my already existing inverter.
Attached below is a schematic diagram of my intended connection.
Total of 15 panels (12 are 300w while 3 are 325w) connected in 3S 5P total 4575w connected to

Midnite Combiner box MNPV6 with a high voltage lightening surge arrestor

Distance from Combiner Box to Cc is 51m so I'm using 16mm2 flex (5AWG)

Outback Flex 80 FM80 MPPT 80 AMP Solar Charge Controller including OutBack Power RTS Remote Temperature Sensor

48 x 400AH battery bank (with ZHC battery equalizer)

3.5kva 48v Exulted Inverter (to be replaced with Must power 5kva)

I will doing all the connections myself, this weekend we will be removing interlocking stone to pass conduit pipes from the PV stand to the building and all other ancillary works.

A few Questions:
Is it necessary I include a DC breaker between the Cc and the battery bank (I already intend to put a 100amps breaker between the Combiner box and Cc)

What size of wire do I use between the CC and the battery bank.

Looking at the attached diagram pls is there anything I missed out just incase

Thank you

Put an 80 or 90 amp breaker between the controller and battery bank. Trust me you will use it. I use 35 MM between the controller and battery bank.
You don't need a 100 amp breaker between the Combiner and controller. Multiply your string current by the number of strings and then add your margin and that is the breaker size. You will also need and use it.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 8:40pm On Mar 31, 2018
What's the total solar panel wattage connected to this charge controller?

NiyiOmoIyunade:

With the MorningStar, you will now see clearly that 'charge controller pass charge controller'.

Please come back and give the house your reviews soon and if perchance you have any questions about any aspects e.g. custom programming, please do not hesitate to ask.

I am assuming you will want to monitor your system performance at some point? Instead of buying that TS-M-2 or remote meter with their sickly yellow screen - just get yourself an RJ45 crossover aka network cable and connect directly to your PC - the cable costs under $10 and is also commonly available in Lagos (Computer Village).

Via PC you get access to convenient live monitoring as well as data logs with many parameters of interest conveniently on display.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 8:42pm On Mar 31, 2018
richmon74:

I usually don't like commenting quickly on this kind of design posts for a couple of reasons. I usually allow others to do so first while I read. One of the reasons is that I don't usually comment is the fact that the actual applications from my experiences might differ very well from the theoretical designs.

Like Barezzi and c0ogumo has calculated for you, sometimes you will see that if you want to follow the actual dos and don'ts according to the theories you won't install solar.

As a man in the field, the truth is your configuration is perfectly ok for the real life practical application. You'll be shocked that you will hardly run your battery bank (which is theoretically incomplete) down to 50% as long as you have that amount of solar panels installed. This config will run off-grid without any stress. Reason being that you'll learn and adjust your load as time goes on.

Now for the question of if you have to use one cc. Just like I said before that if you want to do all that the solar theory says you won't install solar. The manufacturers of the CCs calculates the number of panels the cc can carry by the rated current carrying capacity and that is why Barezzi said you can load up to 15 panels. But the solar standards say you should leave a head room of about 30 to 40 percent on the cc current capacity meaning if you are using an 80A cc the max load on it should be in the region of 3kw as in your design.

In actual application, I have loaded 18 255W solar panels on an Outback FM80 charge controller (theoretically wrong) on more than one installation site and it works effectively. Why? The reason is simple, it is only very few minutes in very few days of the year that the power output from the panels will hit 100% and above (as in the case of Solarworld Panels) and in such cases the cc will simply clip the excess current and no harm is done to no one. Those moments are very few that they are insignificant. For the remaining larger part of the day/year the output power will remain within the region of 80% (that's about 76A) peak which is safe for your CC operating level.

In summary, you can install up to 18 panels on FM80 should you want to cut cost as you said.

Also remember to use professional accessories for all the stages to achieve a high efficiency.

Do not also forget to buy our Professional Solar Mounts grin (page 79 of this thread)

Hope this helps someone

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 8:44pm On Mar 31, 2018
[quote author=DUNKA post=66323162][/quote]Yes I know the max wattage for flex max 80 using 48v system is 4000 watts like u pointed out but from what I gathered from this forum is that a 4500 watts system will most likely not do above 75% - 80% (3600w max) from my pv due to inefficiencies.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 8:47pm On Mar 31, 2018
DUNKA:
@op you are very OK

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 8:52pm On Mar 31, 2018
In mine the webserver freezes and thus does not show data until it is reset by powering down and powering up. Do you encounter such issues? If yes, how do you resolve it?

NiyiOmoIyunade:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by lexi28(m): 11:11pm On Mar 31, 2018
Mr Pranil, mr Niyi et all.

I read that the axpert and its clones can be stacked. I want to know, will this require them being connected to the same battery bank? Will their outputs still be synchronized and load shared if they were connected to same-voltage but different banks.

Kiekie, Zeestone, makavele and the house...help with info too.

Thanks!

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 11:13pm On Mar 31, 2018
kiekie1:

Good morning Ceaser,
I didn't mention running all appliances at once ! I run them one at a time even though the inverter can power the microwave-grilller and 1hp split at once , can also power the 1hp ×2 AC , but 1.5hp ×2 triggers overload alarm ! Cheer's

Oh, okay. Mucho graçias.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 11:17pm On Mar 31, 2018
makavele:

Just give it to us anyhow !!!

grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 2:07am On Apr 01, 2018
dejidotun2000:
Hello sir. Do you mind if I send you a mail ?

My email is in signature please feel free
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 2:12am On Apr 01, 2018
ceaser:

The links you provided do not appear to put the price and there is no way to place orders from the link. Are these product available on the common online malls (k*nga, J*mia and the likes) where orders can be placed. Please give the info. Thank you.

LG / Fouani has an online mall . Daikin comes sometimes on Konga keep a watch
https://www.fouanistore.com/lg-products/lg-appliances/lg-air-conditioners/lg-gencool-dual-inverter-1.0hp/

Key Features
Input required (Minimum) 0.7 KVA

DUAL Inverter Compressor™
10 Years Warranty on Compressor
70% Energy Saving
40% Faster Cooling
GEN Mode
Mosquito Away
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 2:29am On Apr 01, 2018
nonoski:

LOL that's why I'm trying to get the circuit breaker disconnect amperage right so the breaker trips of when too much current passes through it.

Gentlemen, I cannot stress enough again. Breakers are to protect the source( battery) and cables ( in case of charge controller the breaker between Battery and Charge controller should be sized to trip based on the cable size and above the rated current of the CC).. e.g for 80 amps rated CC the next available breaker is 100 amps and cable will be 50mm2 ( rated 119 amp at 25 DEG C so at 40 DEG 119x .89 = 105.91) or go one size higher with cable if in duct or long run ( derating at 45 DEG is 0.79x rated current )

The breaker is installed between Battery and CC to take care of the case of CC failing and catching fire or cable melting away. If using only one CC you can oversize the cable to match the breaker size between Battery and inverter and avoid the breaker between CC and battery ( i prefer to have separate for inverter and CC for control and safety ).
if the CC is set to fixed voltage or system is 48 volts it will not fail. the failures mostly happen in multiple voltage rating CC's which autodetect system voltage based on battery. usually, the user manual will advise you to connect battery first in these CC's so that CC can power up the controller and set system voltage

If you are on budget use fuse links -

Also, take care while mounting DC breakers as some of them are polarized and the correct side should be facing the source ( battery) . Installed wrong way the breaker poles will just weld in case of a fault

The breaker between CC and panels is again kept to protect cables and CC catching fire. The solar panels themselves are able to handle short circuit without any issue ( you can try shorting a panel smiley it will happily provide the rated Isc current in the bright sunny day

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 2:36am On Apr 01, 2018
ceaser:

Plasma TV na terrible power hugger o. Recently changed LG 42 inch was rated at 600 watts.

Do you also place the fridge on solar comfortably as you do the deep freezer? Someone advised me that it is better to have freezer on solar than a fridge cos the former starts up at more frequent times than freezers do, the compressor thereby drains more stored power from high start up currents. He gave the same arguments for air conditioners placed on solar Inverters. Is this argument very valid in your opinion?

Opinions of other pros in the house are highly welcome.

The fridge draws more power because you open it frequently and it has normally larger volume with less stored energy ( running at 6-8 deg) versus -14 /-18 of the fridge.

if you use freezer like fridge it will also consume power. Check the nameplates or use power analyser to decide average consumption as every model is different but typically the bigger fridges have much more efficient compressor nowadays

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 2:46am On Apr 01, 2018
lexi28:
Mr Pranil, mr Niyi et all.

I read that the axpert and its clones can be stacked. I want to know, will this require them being connected to the same battery bank? Will their outputs still be synchronized and load shared if they were connected to same-voltage but different banks.

Kiekie, Zeestone, makavele and the house...help with info too.

Thanks!

Not only Axpert but any inverter which is paralleled requires the same battery bank ( exception is grid-tie inverters running directly from panels)
The same is true if you need multiphase setup
The reason being the battery and AC side is not galvanically isolated and for paralleling the reference -ve ( or +ve) should be same

for axpert you need a parallel kit and have to replace the card inside both inverters.also both have to be connected with datalinks and current sharing cable ( see the ugly cable between two of my inverters )
also, cables from the battery and input-output AC should be identical and preferably similar in distance to allow perfect load sharing

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 8:24am On Apr 01, 2018
pranil:

Not only Axpert but any inverter which is paralleled requires the same battery bank ( exception is grid-tie inverters running directly from panels)
The reason being the battery and AC side is not galvanically isolated and for paralleling the reference -ve ( or +ve) should be same

for axpert you need a parallel kit and have to replace the card inside both inverters.also both have to be connected with datalinks and current sharing cable ( see the ugly cable between two of my inverters )
also, cables from the battery and input-output AC should be identical and preferably similar in distance to allow perfect load sharing

Superb installation.

This will make disco and generator dealers go green with hatred

Freedom sweet ooo NO BILL NO PETROL grin

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 9:00am On Apr 01, 2018
Two separate PV arrays on two separate MorningStar MPPT 60 CCs

1st PV Array - 3.6kw of Flames 300w Mono Panels - 12pcs about 2 years old

2nd PV Array - 2.97kw of Canadian Solar 330w Mono Panels - 9pcs under 6 months old.

The two PV arrays do essentially the same thing although some days one CC takes the lead and some days the other one does - I have not yet succeeded in getting the two Morningstar CCs to operate in perfect sync despite being connected to thesame battery bank and sharing thesame voltage sense cable. See the two average outputs at boost/early absorb below.

Picture 1 - CC1 - 3.6kw array

Picture 2 - CC2 - 2.97kw array

mank1234:
What's the total solar panel wattage connected to this charge controller?

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 9:58am On Apr 01, 2018
The Canadian seems to give more juice per installed wattage than the flame especially considering that power deliverable should be more during MPPT stage than ABSORB stage.

Try the following if it will sync their operations:
1) change your dip switches to custom set point (switch 4,5,6 ON) and ensure you use exactly the same settings for both cc. Note that if you don't change the dip switches to custom settings whatsoever you program as charging algorithm is usually ignored.
2) use separate sense voltage wire of same length, same gauge. (MS recommendation)
3) use separate temperature sense wire. (MS recommendation)
4) if you intend to do equalization, then it should be manual equalization and you should use meter hub to sync it. Equalization should be initiated from the meter and NOT from one of the CC. (MS recommendation)

NiyiOmoIyunade:
Two separate PV arrays on two separate MorningStar MPPT 60 CCs

1st PV Array - 3.6kw of Flames 300w Mono Panels - 12pcs about 2 years old

2nd PV Array - 2.97kw of Canadian Solar 330w Mono Panels - 9pcs under 6 months old.

The two PV arrays do essentially the same thing although some days one CC takes the lead and some days the other one does - I have not yet succeeded in getting the two Morningstar CCs to operate in perfect sync despite being connected to thesame battery bank and sharing thesame voltage sense cable. See the two average outputs at boost/early absorb below.

Picture 1 - CC1 - 3.6kw array

Picture 2 - CC2 - 2.97kw array

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 10:10am On Apr 01, 2018
For grid-tie solar inverter, if someone decides to use it without battery, will it still work when there's no power from the grid?

pranil:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 11:08am On Apr 01, 2018
The literature on the ha2 48v batt balancer is a lil vague..i have 4 units 12v 200ah fla in a 24v config...i intend to hook up the legs of ha2 to each batt in the bank..
Just a lil unsure if it wud work..since its written 48v.
I have the ha1. But the literature states its for 2 x 12v batts

(1) (2) (3) ... (377) (378) (379) (380) (381) (382) (383) ... (1694) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: dragnet, jonescosmos and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.