Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,022 members, 7,835,467 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:33 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (600) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2100368 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (597) (598) (599) (600) (601) (602) (603) ... (1715) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 4:21am On Oct 15, 2019
Thanks all. You have all spoken from your various wealth of experience. A difference of opinion is what facilitate learning. Don't let us have a dogmatic opinion; it doesn't help development. I have read all but have not digested.
Someone should pls review the conflicting opinions and find a common ground which you can all still review. If possible and the means available, experiment on the postulations and give your findings. Then we can all update our knowledge. The Einsteins of this world made name by challenging the stats quo.
I got here by challenging myself daily. The person that introduced me to inverter technology is now my neighbor. Isnt it funny that he still burn fuel via generator daily while my generator has been idle for some time now yet I have light 24/7. He recently got a sunking 60 for 34K while i built something slightly bigger for half the price for my mum, with your help via your answers. That is the power of an open mind.
Pls let's criticize constructively.

My 4×150watts panels are currently wired in parallel to a powmr mppt cc and still using the 12v inverter. The yield seem lower than when I was using pwn cc. That was why i contemplated series wiring. But I guess that is due to the incessant rains. If rain is not the culprit, I shall revert to pwm cc for the time being while I brainstorm on what next.

"you should try and stick to system voltage, ie 12v panel, 12v CC, 12V INVERTER
MPPT, YOU ONLY LIMITING FACTOR IS CC max input voltage"

The above is my understanding before all this differences in opinion.

PS: Sorry for my long essay
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dragnet: 6:43am On Oct 15, 2019
Topmost11:
Thanks all. You have all spoken from your various wealth of experience. A difference of opinion is what facilitate learning. Don't let us have a dogmatic opinion; it doesn't help development. I have read all but have not digested.
Someone should pls review the conflicting opinions and find a common ground which you can all still review. If possible and the means available, experiment on the postulations and give your findings. Then we can all update our knowledge. The Einsteins of this world made name by challenging the stats quo.
I got here by challenging myself daily. The person that introduced me to inverter technology is now my neighbor. Isnt it funny that he still burn fuel via generator daily while my generator has been idle for some time now yet I have light 24/7. He recently got a sunking 60 for 34K while i built something slightly bigger for half the price for my mum, with your help via your answers. That is the power of an open mind.
Pls let's criticize constructively.

My 4×150watts panels are currently wired in parallel to a powmr mppt cc and still using the 12v inverter. The yield seem lower than when I was using pwn cc. That was why i contemplated series wiring. But I guess that is due to the incessant rains. If rain is not the culprit, I shall revert to pwm cc for the time being while I brainstorm on what next.

"you should try and stick to system voltage, ie 12v panel, 12v CC, 12V INVERTER
MPPT, YOU ONLY LIMITING FACTOR IS CC max input voltage"

The above is my understanding before all this differences in opinion.

PS: Sorry for my long essay

your powmr is mppt, you should be doing at least a series connection with your panel.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojesymsym: 8:25am On Oct 15, 2019
I have done quite a couple of solar experiments that are not recommended by the textbooks or engineering principles but this I haven't so I won't argue with you too much. How long has you been using it by the way?
I remember when I used to use 1 solar panel, two charge controller for 2 battey set up. You need to know what you are doing to attempt some of these things knowing that things can go wrong and you can loose your equipment. In this case you may even lose power because I think pwm will just clip out the excess.
SolnergyPower:
Oga, I yield up to 20A instantaneously from 4 panels of 150W connected in 2S1P in a 12V setup.

Forget what you read in the books and do the experiment.

Besides, the manufacturer that rated Max PV input of 12/24V PWM to be 50V isn't stupid

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tivta(m): 8:34am On Oct 15, 2019
Penuelseun:
Yes, me
Any issues? Like static sound or lines on the tv?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by BetaTechnicians: 9:53am On Oct 15, 2019
ceaser:

So guys, talking of timers, can something of a sinotimer be connected between the battery and the inverter for some form of automation? I wonder if it will not amount to inverter damage if the timer effectively repeatedly connects and disconnects battery supply to the battery terminals of the inverter rather than the factory way of using the switch of the inverter, bearing in mind the fact that the AC load is already primed/switched on to start in all these scenarios.

Thank you.
The load would be too much, I don't trust the relays in those timers to handle such currents.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by BetaTechnicians: 9:56am On Oct 15, 2019
Can anyone help with the limitations of modified sine wave inverters, real life experiences please, and also compared with ups that are also modified sine wave.
Real life user experiences please.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 11:21am On Oct 15, 2019
Topmost11:
Thanks all. You have all spoken from your various wealth of experience.

therein lies your problem, you are treating your mppt as a pwm, that is why your harvest is poor. i suggest you run 2s2p, ie hook up 2 panels in series. then parallel the 2 strings in series.
ie you would have 2 strings each made up of 2 strings in series which you then parallel, thus ur CC wud be seeing 24v to 38v, thus enough head room for your CC to truly shine, as thats the sweet spot for it. efficiency upto 90% or so.
another option would be to string all 4 panels in series, efficiency of this setup is about 82% or so, what is the Vmax of your CC?, cos that is the determinant of if you can use this option or not.

@dragnet. , His subsquent remarks, shows he knows its mppt grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Penuelseun(m): 3:49pm On Oct 15, 2019
tivta:

Any issues? Like static sound or lines on the tv?
No issues, been using it for more than 3 years. I use a bluegate ups by the way, I use it to power my 40" led tv, ceiling fan, home theater, decoder at a go and it powers them well.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dragnet: 5:25pm On Oct 15, 2019
Penuelseun:
No issues, been using it for more than 3 years. I use a bluegate ups by the way, I use it to power my 40" led tv, ceiling fan, home theater, decoder at a go and it powers them well.
what model please?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dragnet: 5:26pm On Oct 15, 2019
earthrealm:

therein lies your problem, you are treating your mppt as a pwm, that is why your harvest is poor. i suggest you run 2s2p, ie hook up 2 panels in series. then parallel the 2 strings in series.
ie you would have 2 strings each made up of 2 strings in parallel, which you then parallel, thus ur CC wud be seeing 24v to 38v, thus enough head room for your CC to truly shine, as thats the sweet spot for it. efficiency upto 90% or so.
another option would be to string all 4 panels in series, efficiency of this setup is about 82% or so, what is the Vmax of your CC?, cos that is the determinant of if you can use this option or not.

@dragnet. , His subsquent remarks, shows he knows its mppt grin
undecided
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 6:52pm On Oct 15, 2019
dragnet:
undecided

"you would have 2 strings each made up of 2 strings in parallel, which you then parallel"

Is this what you mean?

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 6:56pm On Oct 15, 2019
ojesymsym:
Are you sure of this your number 2? We are dealing with a pwm charge controller and not an mppt.

I think you are wrong. If they are 2 panels and the system voltage is 12v the panels have to be connected in parallel not series.

The guy never jam pwm controller grin. No be only Voltage headroom grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Penuelseun(m): 6:57pm On Oct 15, 2019
dragnet:
what model please?
BG-650, an old model

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 7:11pm On Oct 15, 2019
Topmost11:

"you would have 2 strings each made up of 2 strings in parallel, which you then parallel"

Is this what you mean?

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by SolnergyPower: 7:15pm On Oct 15, 2019
Indeed! Oga, take your time and take a second look at what I claim.

My claim is a personal experience in the last 6 months or so.

zeestone99:

The guy never jam pwm controller grin. No be only Voltage headroom grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tivta(m): 7:26pm On Oct 15, 2019
Penuelseun:
Wow. I thought it was modified sinewave, can you please post a picture of it, I want to get your type.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 8:08pm On Oct 15, 2019
Topmost11:

Is this what you mean?

Yeah, exactly!
You would hit over 25amps on a good day, if your panels are optimally placed and you are using correct cable size as per distance
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Penuelseun(m): 8:36pm On Oct 15, 2019
tivta:

Wow. I thought it was modified sinewave, can you please post a picture of it, I want to get your type.
It is modified sine wave
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 10:48am On Oct 16, 2019
SolnergyPower:
Indeed! Oga, take your time and take a second look at what I claim.

My claim is a personal experience in the last 6 months or so.

Sorry boss....please show us practical example, this new development interest lot of us. Gracias
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by SolnergyPower: 10:50am On Oct 16, 2019
Sir, where exactly in my claims do you need understanding?

zeestone99:

Sorry boss....please show us practical example, this new development interest lot of us. Gracias
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 10:58am On Oct 16, 2019
SolnergyPower:
Sir, where exactly in my claims do you need understanding?

I thought you were saying we could go above system voltage using a pwm controller. If yes, I have experimented and all I got was the overload alarm.
What type of pwm controller did you use.

If no pardon my intrusion pls
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by SolnergyPower: 12:57pm On Oct 16, 2019
Overload alarm? You may be talking definitely about something else.

What I wrote was, as long as the PWM Charge Controller allows for it, I will always input as much voltage as I can from the PV.

This means, for a PWM that allows for up to 50V from the PV, I can do a series connection for two 150W, Voc, 22.05V in a 12V battery bank as against doing a parallel connection. From experience, the series connection has yielded me more harvest than a parallel connection.

I have come across MPPT charge controllers that ONLY allow matching PV voltage closely with the battery bank voltage.

Like I have always noted, I will always aim at the roof for a PWM as long it is allowed.

Thank you sir.

zeestone99:

I thought you were saying we could go above system voltage using a pwm controller. If yes, I have experimented and all I got was the overload alarm.
What type of pwm controller did you use.

If no pardon my intrusion pls
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 1:05pm On Oct 16, 2019
SolnergyPower:

What I wrote was, as long as the PWM Charge Controller allows for it, I will always input as much voltage as I can from the PV.

This means, for a PWM that allows for up to 50V from the PV, I can do a series connection for two 150W, Voc, 22.05V in a 12V battery bank as against doing a parallel connection. From experience, the series connection has yielded me more harvest than a parallel connection.

I have come across MPPT charge controllers that ONLY allow matching PV voltage closely with the battery bank voltage.

Like I have always noted, I will always aim at the roof for a PWM as long it is allowed.

Thank you sir.

Yeah pv overload.
Interesting to know you have used two panels in series to charge a 12v battery and it worked like an mppt. Please share the pwm controller. I will love to do some experimenting myself. Gracias.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Solardepot: 1:40pm On Oct 16, 2019
New Product Alert.

ThunderVolt AGM Battery (12V 200AH)

Features
- High Capacities
- Maintenance Free
- Excellent Life cycle
- 1 year warranty

Price: N125,000

Order online at https://www.solardepotng.com/sealed-agm/thundervolt-12v-200ah-agm-battery

For purchase or enquiry call/whatsapp 07014487290 or send us a mail at sales@solardepotng.com.

SOLAR DEPOT NIGERIA

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 4:02pm On Oct 16, 2019
earthrealm:

Yeah, exactly!
You would hit over 25amps on a good day, if your panels are optimally placed and you are using correct cable size as per distance

Battery, inverter, panel=12v:
Controller is 12v/24v mppt.
With this recommended connection, won't I be having 24v which is against the system voltage of 12v? Or is it the advantage of mppt?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by SolnergyPower: 4:23pm On Oct 16, 2019
Here is what I have.

a. 12/24V Roy Solar PWM
b. 4 x 150W ForeSolar Mono Panels in 2S1P
c. 16mm cable from panels to CC. About 15m or so
d. 12V, 850VA Sukam Inverter
e. 2 x 12V, 165Ah PowerCycle Batteries.

zeestone99:

Yeah pv overload.
Interesting to know you have used two panels in series to charge a 12v battery and it worked like an mppt. Please share the pwm controller. I will love to do some experimenting myself. Gracias.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 4:36pm On Oct 16, 2019
Topmost11:

Battery, inverter, panel=12v:
Controller is 12v/24v most.
With this recommended connection, won't I be having 24v which is against the system voltage? Or is it the advantage of mppt?

thats the advantage of mppt, hence why its more expensive, it allows you transmit @ higher voltages, and low amperage...hence you could use smaller cables, also CC starts producing earlier..and stops later too...cos of the voltage headroom.

if you doubt it, connect it for 24v and record your max daily and instantenous harvest, then try the 12v config...and compare
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 4:36pm On Oct 16, 2019
Solardepot:
New Product Alert.

ThunderVolt AGM Battery (12V 200AH)

Features
- High Capacities
- Maintenance Free
- Excellent Life cycle
- 1 year warranty

Price: N125,000

Order online at https://www.solardepotng.com/sealed-agm/thundervolt-12v-200ah-agm-battery

For purchase or enquiry call/whatsapp 07014487290 or send us a mail at sales@solardepotng.com.

SOLAR DEPOT NIGERIA

good news, a perfect challenger to quanta.....i guess grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 5:36pm On Oct 16, 2019
SolnergyPower:
Here is what I have.

a. 12/24V Roy Solar PWM
b. 4 x 150W ForeSolar Mono Panels in 2S1P
c. 16mm cable from panels to CC. About 15m or so
d. 12V, 850VA Sukam Inverter
e. 2 x 12V, 165Ah PowerCycle Batteries.

Let me help out a bit. Ur 4*150w=600w @ 12v ABI?
So if ur panel orientation and cables are rightly "placed". @eff of 80%, u should not get anything less than 35A at 14.2v. anything less than that, u re running at a very big loss with ur connection. Just parallel the four panels and revert to the house(to share the good news)!

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Nobody: 5:37pm On Oct 16, 2019
SolnergyPower:

Thank you sir.

How do you know that you harvest more?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by wilfrik200(m): 5:42pm On Oct 16, 2019
JUO:
I have it in stock

Please send me your contact on the email I provided
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by SolnergyPower: 5:57pm On Oct 16, 2019
Sir, the installation I am currently monitoring is on a two-storey building and needs a scaffold to access, so I am not planning to go there again soon until a major upgrade.

BTW, how did you arrive at 35A @80%eff?

Oshomo12:

Let me help out a bit. Ur 4*150w=600w @ 12v ABI?
So if ur panel orientation and cables are rightly "placed". @eff of 80%, u should not get anything less than 35A at 14.2v. anything less than that, u re running at a very big loss with ur connection. Just parallel the four panels and revert to the house(to share the good news)!

(1) (2) (3) ... (597) (598) (599) (600) (601) (602) (603) ... (1715) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: obinna37(m), toscotech(m), saxwizard(m), Dam5reey(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.