Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,741 members, 7,851,554 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 10:36 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (676) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2130653 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (673) (674) (675) (676) (677) (678) (679) ... (1734) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 2:06pm On Feb 22, 2020
earthrealm,
This looks like you want the same Pv array to feed both the Fangpusun charge controller and DC Submersible pump. I've read in several fora that it's not a wise thing to do.
I believe you can achieve what you want by the use of a 12Vdc 2NO2NC contactor.
Connect the pump to the 2NO contact, and the Fangpusun CC to the 2NC contact.
A level float serves as the permissive to energise the contactor allowing the sub pump to refill the tank.
Add a timer in series with the float switch to energise the contactor on low water level between 10am and 3pm.

Remember you will be switching DC under load. Use of a properly sized DC contactor cannot be overemphasised.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 2:48pm On Feb 22, 2020
Barezzi:
earthrealm,
This looks like you want the same Pv array to feed both the Fangpusun charge controller and DC Submersible pump. I've read in several fora that it's not a wise thing to do.
A level float serves as the permissive to energise the contactor allowing the sub pump to refill the tank.
Add a timer in series with the float switch to energise the contactor on low water level between 10am and 3pm.

Remember you will be switching DC under load. Use of a properly sized DC contactor cannot be overemphasised.

yeah, spot on, this is why i like this forum! grin
never seen a dc timer b4.
would you be kind enuff to post links of the 2NO2NC contactor, a decent level float controller & dc timer.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by eleojo23: 8:39pm On Feb 22, 2020
earthrealm:

yeah, spot on, this is why i like this forum! grin
never seen a dc timer b4.
would you be kind enuff to post links of the 2NO2NC contactor, a decent level float controller & dc timer.

I believe this is the type of DC timer he is talking about. I intend using it for some outdoor lights soon to program when they come on and off during the day.

This Corona virus thing just dey spoil my plans.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 9:07pm On Feb 22, 2020
LFP Vs Lead Acid. You going lithium? If you have a 24v set-up, Don't expect voltage to reach the 24v and infact if your lithium get to that level then you are already at almost 90% DoD. Most of the lithium juice is within 3.2 and 3.4v (per cell)

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 9:13pm On Feb 22, 2020
eleojo23:

I believe this is the type of DC timer he is talking about. I intend using it for some outdoor lights soon to program when they come on and off during the day.

My brother no be small thing, ordered some AC timer switches myself, had to cancel after 3 weeks of no changes on shipment
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by eleojo23: 9:21pm On Feb 22, 2020
ojeysky:

My brother no be small thing, ordered some AC timer switches myself, had to cancel after 3 weeks of no changes on shipment

It's really not funny...this situation has shown how important China is to us especially for DIY stuffs.

Hopefully, things will normalize as from the second week of March according to sources on Reddit who contacted some AliExpress sellers
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by solasola(m): 10:24pm On Feb 22, 2020
ojeysky:

There should be no issues with that unless the charge limit of your battery is reached. If utility is doing 20A and your solar is doing 10A it simply means 30A is going into your battery. So you need to be sure that your battery can accept the charge rate or you modify max charge as you find applicable(if you have that option on your gear).
You need to be sure that your chargers are intelligent enough to stop charging once battery is full.
thanks for the response
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ebocoms: 11:01pm On Feb 22, 2020
Good day All,

Please I need help clearing history of my Fangpusun BVM-702. I just changed my batteries. I have tried the reset option I saw online for victron, going into Setup mode:

--Press setup for 2-3 seconds to enter setup
-- Use + and - to scroll through setup
-- Using the + button scroll to # 63

It's not working for me. It only changing my battery capacity. Don't know if I'm doing it wrong. Kindly help. Thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by durodee(m): 11:17pm On Feb 22, 2020
ojeysky:
LFP Vs Lead Acid. You going lithium? If you have a 24v set-up, Don't expect voltage to reach the 24v and infact if your lithium get to that level then you are already at almost 90% DoD. Most of the lithium juice is within 3.2 and 3.4v (per cell)
After using for a few weeks, is your present LFP setup performance actually DOUBLE the Lead Acid 300amp 24v performance? I have 4 Monbat 200amps batteries (connected as 24v/200amp) that have been in serious use for 28months and
I am gathering info as I consider replacement soon
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 4:14am On Feb 23, 2020
durodee:

After using for a few weeks, is your present LFP setup performance actually DOUBLE the Lead Acid 300amp 24v performance?

For now the major performance I noticed is the ability to accept amps/power surges. For instance, my washing machine on startup does some few min of over 1.4kw draw (think it's the heater), my lead acid was unable to cope even when the battery is full but LFP takes it without stress. Capacity wise I have done some rough test but yet to do actual (getting bmv soon) but I don't expect much surprises as the 200A LFP serves the same load (or more) for similar duration that my 300A lead did at corresponding DOD.
For me the big deal in LFP performance will be whether it's capacity remains the same in 3 to 5 years time (after many cycles)

I have 4 Monbat 200amps batteries (connected as 24v/200amp) that have been in serious use for 28months and
Do you mean as 48v/200A? with over 2 years of usage, are you loosing capacity on it yet? and at what DoD have you been maintaining.

That said, If I have opportunity to get more lithium, I will rather go DIY by procuring the cells, slamming a BMS on it. That way I am able to easily do periodic individual cell check(even though I know that's the work of the BMS) and will also save some cash. Found some good deals on AliExpress but shipping is the problem, if anyone knows a reliable china-nigeria freight forwarder please share.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 6:35am On Feb 23, 2020
Thank you Sir for this!

Oga Earthrealm nor wan gree b4.

What is happening here with the suggested contactor arrangement is to either use the panels to feed the DC pump (this disconnects the PV feed to the CC) or use the panels to feed the CC - disconnects the DC pump. The timer governs the time of operation.

It is an either/or mutually exclusive arrangement.

Below attached a picture of a 12v DC timer I have used with great success at industrial sites to switch DC lights on/off per schedule. It takes a standard removable AA battery to retain settings but can be powered from the main DC source.

I have found it superior to any of the common asian origin timers esp. with their complicated wiring.

Still I wonder why you feel obliged to power this pump from the PV side? Since you have a CC, necessarily implies that you have a battery bank? You might be better off powering a DC load off the batteries and thereby secure a stable power source for your DC pump.

Barezzi:
earthrealm,

1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 6:40am On Feb 23, 2020
Clear out of any setup pages.

Hold down the SETUP and SELECT buttons simultaneously till you hear a beep/auditory feedback.

The device should be factory reset after the beep.

Now you owe me two bottles of chilled Heinekein grin

ebocoms:
Good day All,

Please I need help clearing history of my Fangpusun BVM-702. I just changed my batteries. I have tried the reset option I saw online for victron, going into Setup mode:

--Press setup for 2-3 seconds to enter setup
-- Use + and - to scroll through setup
-- Using the + button scroll to # 63

It's not working for me. It only changing my battery capacity. Don't know if I'm doing it wrong. Kindly help. Thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 7:10am On Feb 23, 2020
eleojo23:

I didn't use timers for the security lights, simply because with the changing soltices illumination changes while the timer remains constant. So initially by 6:30pm darkness may have descended but at some other time you still have daylight even at 7pm.

So what I opted for was an ambient-light controlled setup.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by simydan(m): 10:50am On Feb 23, 2020
durodee:

After using for a few weeks, is your present LFP setup performance actually DOUBLE the Lead Acid 300amp 24v performance? I have 4 Monbat 200amps batteries (connected as 24v/200amp) that have been in serious use for 28months and

In real sense, LFP can provide double capacity than a similar lead acid counterpart in terms of DOD and cycle life. Since most LFP can actually go 2000 cycles at 100% DOD which is over 5years and 5000 cycles at 80% DOD which is close to 15years, I don't think a lead acid battery can withstand that kind of abuse and last that long.

So, while you enjoy from 50%-100% power from your LFP, you can only get 50% from you lead acid to maintain a decent cycle life.

Another thing worth mentioning is that LFP is less space consuming, less weighty, charges fast and can withstand high current draw than a lead acid battery.

Just make sure you invest your money in a good and quality built LFP when going for one just as it's worth investing on high end lead acid. Remember! You get what you pay for. grin grin grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 11:25am On Feb 23, 2020
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 11:47am On Feb 23, 2020
earthrealm:

hmmm, would you be kind enough to provide data backing your claims, about bad things that could happen. we are all here to learn.
@ceaser...the borehole is yet to be drilled, am just gathering data/planning, so am open to suggestions/ideas/improvements to my proposed plans etc
A lot of people have considered it and as well done it. It's the natural progression of thought when you have surplus PV energy generation and have starved DC loads.
It can be done and I've done something similar for some years now. I contacted Midnite and I was told I was doing it the wrong way and they wouldn't honour warranty unless I inserted a blocking diode between the load and the input to the CC (to prevent a power pull on the CC). And we've all lived happily ever after.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 11:58am On Feb 23, 2020
Brand new
- open-box Victron Quattro 48/5000/70 (5kVA 48VDC) - ₦780,000
- Victron VE.Direct 375VA 48VDC inverter (no charger) - ₦60,000
- Victron BMV 702 (with shunt and cables) - ₦100,000
- Fangpusun 100/50 MPPT charge controller - ₦46,000
- Fangpusun display - ₦20,000
- EpSolar (Epever) 150V 60A MPPT - ₦130,000
- Midnite SPD 300V surge protector - ₦47,000
- Midnite MNPV8HV-DISCO 4X disconnect/combiner box - ₦360,000

Used for less than year (then retired) but in excellent cosmetic & working order
- Victron VE.Direct 375VA 48VDC inverter (no charger) - ₦40,000
- Victron Color Control GX - ₦150,000
- CyberPower CPS3500Pro inverter (3.5kVA 24VDC) - ₦100,000

Used a bit longer but in excellent working condition
- Victron MultiPlus 48/5000/70 inverter (5kVA 48VDC grid input not working) - ₦250,000
- my faithful PowerStar 3kW inverter; modified to enable the fan come on at lower temperatures - ₦80,000

WhatsApp/Call 080 3961 2147
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 12:57pm On Feb 23, 2020
Saipro:

A lot of people have considered it and as well done it. It's the natural progression of thought when you have surplus PV energy generation and have starved DC loads.
It can be done and I've done something similar for some years now. I contacted Midnite and I was told I was doing it the wrong way and they wouldn't honour warranty unless I inserted a blocking diode between the load and the input to the CC (to prevent a power pull on the CC). And we've all lived happily ever after.

excellent, so did you install the diode?..and if yes..whats the specs of the diode.
i kinda feel you didnt install nada grin grin

@NiyiOmoIyunade , why i prefer running the sumo pump off the pv side is because i have not settled /purchased a pump yet. i have seen pumps ranging from 12v 250w, to 24v 250w, 24v 400w etc, the installation only has a single 12v 200ah battery, so only if i finally get a 12v 250w pump would it be possible to run it off the battery, and then it would have to be in strong sunlight, to avoid breaking the C/20 disharge rule. i use C/10 abeg
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 12:59pm On Feb 23, 2020
Brand new (sealed in box) MorningStar MPPT 60A for sale.

Price - 215K

Reason for sale - continuous upgrades.....

Contact - 0 8 0 8 1 1 4444 2

By an happy accident I find I now have 19kw of panels available as I migrated to Lithium. MorningStar does not play very well with my PylonTechs so I moved grudgingly to Victron CCs and GX device.

Already sold off 3 MorningStar units - this is the last one.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 2:33pm On Feb 23, 2020
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Brand new (sealed in box)

By an happy accident I find I now have 19kw of panels available as I migrated to Lithium.

Happy to see the way we are gradually going lithium cool

Well done.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by spartacus11(m): 3:04pm On Feb 23, 2020
mctfopt:

Happy to see the way we are gradually going lithium cool

Well done.

Lithium taking over, since the big Boss are now moving to lithium, lead acid will now be cheaper for beginners like us to buy

Win win for everybody

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 3:08pm On Feb 23, 2020
NiyiOmoIyunade:

Price - 215K

By an happy accident I find I now have 19kw of panels available as I migrated to Lithium. MorningStar does not play very well with my PylonTechs so I moved grudgingly to Victron CCs and GX device.

Yeah yeah!
Going lithium, you may not wanna go back. grin cos it simply gets you enchanted.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 3:12pm On Feb 23, 2020
spartacus11:

Lithium taking over, since the big Boss are now moving to lithium, lead acid will now be cheaper for beginners like us to buy

Win win for everybody

Bros, just pray that those Nigerian dealerships relax their "tightfistedness" with price. 9ja business environment defeats the basic laws of economics. So less demand may actually translate to higher price. Terrible anomalies! And man made and selfish-driven of course.

Shebi na to agree for union meeting to sell at fixed price.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by netotse(m): 3:41pm On Feb 23, 2020
mank1234:
https://pksveigaard.com/product/2-4kwhr-us2000b-plus-pylon-lithium-ion-battery/

50AH 48V

These guys say they don't have in stock, been on their case for a bit now. Or are you hearing a different story?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 3:42pm On Feb 23, 2020
ebocoms:
Good day All,

O'boy looks like this fangpusun people just copied victron all through ni sha....they just swapped the alphabets..no be small thing o.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 3:47pm On Feb 23, 2020
netotse:

These guys say they don't have in stock, been on their case for a bit now. Or are you hearing a different story?

I've not contacted them. I'm still using sealed lead-acid. A search took me to that site. Just felt I should share for those interested in premium brand.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 4:09pm On Feb 23, 2020
NiyiOmoIyunade:

Price - 215K

I am noticing that with my hybrid as well especially with bulk/float. My less pocket digging plan for now is to use the data from BMV to control my inverter behaviour using the solpiplog which integrates both the BMV and PIP data. That said, since you have a pylontech the GK and MK series are quite compatible with it.

That said, I will really like us to compare figures between the pylontech and we the coupled cell versions in few years time. So far my lithium rocks! cool
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by netotse(m): 4:15pm On Feb 23, 2020
NiyiOmoIyunade:

Price - 215K

So you are part of the people that have bought off all the batteries in the market ba? grin

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by spartacus11(m): 4:21pm On Feb 23, 2020
ceaser:

Bros, just pray that those Nigerian dealerships relax their "tightfistedness" with price. 9ja business environment defeats the basic laws of economics. So less demand may actually translate to higher price. Terrible anomalies! And man made and selfish-driven of course.

Shebi na to agree for union meeting to sell at fixed price.

The kind of things we suffer in this country bcus of all dis cabal of business men/importers is not a small something

Lets just hope the online retailers and mini importers keep doing the few good works they are doing.

Country when light nor dey shebi na to encourage people to use renewable energy but no na to still look for way frustrate dat effort

For beginner like myself in Renewable energy learning the DIY route is my sure bet.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 4:28pm On Feb 23, 2020
Anyone considering a DIY may find this interesting: https://www.electriccarpartscompany.com/Fortune-100Ah-Aluminum-Encased-Battery
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 6:09pm On Feb 23, 2020

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (673) (674) (675) (676) (677) (678) (679) ... (1734) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Donsco(m), princely009, mank1234(m), uctomide(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.