Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,417 members, 7,819,498 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:13 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (95) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2068821 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) ... (1696) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ilenaira: 7:30am On May 25, 2015
I've had to follow the principle having plan b for unforeseen circumstances. A new 4kw inverter so that I can enjoy my investment as I fix the original 6kw inverter. Behold new inverter in between the stabilizer and the holder for the original inverter.

Up solar, down NEPA.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tundebabzy: 8:20am On May 25, 2015
Saipro:

Yes, they're called cycling loads and can actually punch a hole in your calculations. The fact that their energy consumption varies (non-linear load) is one aspect. By the same fact, there will be periods of low drain and higher current surging through your system (the batteries should mop that up if your system is set up right and you're not always at 100% charge state). Surge drains have a way of pulling out more power (thereby shorteneing the runtime) of your power bank too.

I live in Ilorin and just got my own system up (80%) and running (with assistance from Abunafiu on this thread). If you're anywhere close by, I could volunteer to take a quick look at your setup and offer advise. Inspection gives a lot more detail than description (from experience I speak).

Finally, cloudy spells can appear unexpectedly (I've had a three day spell which doesn't seem ready to let up yet). Or your renewable energy setup might for some unanticipated reason require maintenance runs. You would be wise to consider a small backup generator powerful enough to run your freezer.
Wow! Thanks. I got advice from abunafiu also but I live in katsina which is very far.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Boss13: 11:00am On May 25, 2015
salam12:

Lots of micky mouse installers out there with next to nothing knowledge about renewable energy.

Have noted grave errors such as:

1) Improper load or power requirement estimate
2) Inadequate battery sizing
3) Wrong solar panel sizing
4) Installing panels with voltage combination not high enough to charge batteries
5) Use of wrong CC

The list keep growing and it translate to loss of money and confidence by people that invested in RE without expected results.

Please, I need an experienced solar panel/inverter installer. Someone who is well experienced and can solve my problem. I have been weeping since. It's like being dumped into the ocean and left to drown.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by salam12(m): 2:14pm On May 25, 2015
Boss13:

Please, I need an experienced solar panel/inverter installer. Someone who is well experienced and can solve my problem. I have been weeping since. It's like being dumped into the ocean and left to drown.

I am not an an installer but die hard DIY person. You can contact PBsolar for better technical advice and installation. Search him on facebook please.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 8:03pm On May 25, 2015
bode4real:
@ all,
i need to upgrade to a 60a mppt cc. i need recommendation of good and affordable brand.

Hmmn dear! EP Solar "Tracer 60a" will do the job !! Call me asap !!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 11:26am On May 26, 2015
Oouucchhh!!! I nearly crossed the 13kWhr mark.
For the records, the highest power generated in a single day by my 2.88kW panel array is now 12.99kWhr.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akerekoroabijawara(m): 3:25pm On May 26, 2015
@guru in the house.
My 0.8kva sukam inverter is displaying overload, even when no load is attached. Please what might be the problem?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 3:33pm On May 26, 2015
Akerekoroabijawara:
@guru in the house.
My 0.8kva sukam inverter is displaying overload, even when no load is attached. Please what might be the problem?

You probably have an open fuse. check the wall plug and the fuse behind the inverter. One of them is d culprit.

Enjoy sir.....But this ur profile name dey scare me ooo. Hope no be am affect the inverter. ...Lols.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akerekoroabijawara(m): 4:00pm On May 26, 2015
abunafiu:

You probably have an open fuse. check the wall plug and the fuse behind the inverter. One of them is d culprit.
Enjoy sir.....But this ur profile name dey scare me ooo. Hope no be am affect the inverter. ...Lols.
thanks for your response. I have just checked for that, but nothing of such.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bode4real(m): 6:48pm On May 26, 2015
Akerekoroabijawara:
@guru in the house.
Try to toggle btw the NC/HC. Or UPS / INVERTER switch at d bak of d inverter. And if persist open d inverter and check d 2 red 40amp fuse on d -ve leg.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pheleix: 1:18am On May 27, 2015
Akerekoroabijawara:
thanks for your response. I have just checked for that, but nothing of such.
Probably your MOSFET Driver is bad. Switching circuit. Whats your location
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akerekoroabijawara(m): 6:06am On May 27, 2015
bode4real:

Try to toggle btw the NC/HC. Or UPS / INVERTER switch at d bak of d inverter. And if persist open d inverter and check d 2 red 40amp fuse on d -ve leg.
Thanks. I will do that and feed you back.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akerekoroabijawara(m): 6:07am On May 27, 2015
pheleix:

Probably your MOSFET Driver is bad. Switching circuit. Whats your location
is it a thing I can do by myself? I stay in Osun state
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by temizeee(m): 7:09pm On May 27, 2015
please house who knows the correct type/size of cable for a simple 12v-10amp cc.....wires coming from my panel are getting hot during peak sun archive..
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by badaru1(m): 7:29pm On May 27, 2015
I have almost brand new prag 2.0kva inverter for sale. For enquiries call 07081570135 or email: badaru1@yahoo.com
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by RipVanWink: 10:29pm On May 27, 2015
temizeee:
please house who knows the correct type/size of cable for a simple 12v-10amp cc.....wires coming from my panel are getting hot during peak sun archive..

whats the total wattage of ur panels?...the chart has been pasted on this thread b4...search or better still google.
ditance from ur panels to charge controller is also another issue..........as the distance increases.....so does ur wire size.

10amp cc?.....that implies ur panel shud be 12 v 120w, or 150w , a 200w panel wud still work if its not well positioned/efficient
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by temizeee(m): 10:33pm On May 27, 2015
RipVanWink:

whats the total wattage of ur panels?...the chart has been pasted on this thread b4...search or better still google.
ditance from ur panels to charge controller is also another issue..........as the distance increases.....so does ur wire size.

10amp cc?.....that implies ur panel shud be 12 v 120w, or 150w , a 200w panel wud still work if its not well positioned/efficient
itz a 180w system i will google search dat
thank v.much
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bode4real(m): 6:54am On May 28, 2015
kiekie1:

Hmmn dear! EP Solar "Tracer 60a" will do the job !! Call me asap !!
Thx for ur quick response and quick delivery. Item delivered yesterday morning.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 8:15am On May 28, 2015
bode4real:

On that, you could trust Frank. Prompt business is his specialty. If any flaw, it's he's too prompt.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Boss13: 8:39am On May 28, 2015
Please guys I need serious assistance. I don't understand how come I have 2050W (8 solar panels), 8 150AH Batteries, 5KVA inverter and I cannot still have 24 hours power supply. My batteries went off yesterday after 8 hours on 50volts. I am really pissed
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by salam12(m): 9:09am On May 28, 2015
Boss13:
Please guys I need serious assistance. I don't understand how come I have 2050W (8 solar panels), 8 150AH Batteries, 5KVA inverter and I cannot still have 24 hours power supply. My batteries went off yesterday after 8 hours on 50volts. I am really pissed

Can you avail the gurus in the house with detail info about your setup.

1) Panel Wattage, Voltage and Amp
2) Panel current arrangement
3) Controller setting and type
4) Battery arrangement
5) Picture showing current panel arrangement

Cheers
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Boss13: 9:49am On May 28, 2015
salam12:

4) Battery arrangement

Cheers

Thanks, but I think I need a very good installer to save me
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Konnektions146(m): 9:51am On May 28, 2015
salam12:

4) Battery arrangement

Cheers
6) load in watts (or the average % load as shown on the inverter)

You cannot have a load usage of more than what the panels can harvest and expect a 24Hrs uptime

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigass(f): 11:19am On May 28, 2015
can you use both Solar and electricity to charge inverter battery bank at the same time?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by hrguru13: 12:30pm On May 28, 2015
Just came across ur thread. I hv a question similar to some other posts. My husband just installed a solar electricity generation setup but we are experiencing challenges. So far we have not been able to use it. Below are some of the details (mind you, I'm not a techie smiley).
3 280w solar panels(mono crystalline)
8mm cables
1.5kva inverter (pure sine wave)
2 12v 200ah batteries
24v 30a charge controller
Load is just TV, lights and fans.
The issue is dt the batteries charge extremely slowly such that if any load is put on d inverter it quickly discharges. The batteries also discharge even when no load is on d inverter. As such, my husband had to disconnect the solar setup because we were better off using the generator to charge the inverter.
We suspect there is something not quite right with the whole setup. Can you help identify it? Or kindly design the ideal setup for the items I listed above so we can try another installer.
I should also point out that we only allowed about 4 hrs of charge before loading the inverter.
It's all so frustrating because he has spent almost 400k on this project without success. Can you also suggest an experienced installer within Gbagada axis?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Konnektions146(m): 1:52pm On May 28, 2015
hrguru13:
Just came across ur thread. I hv a question similar to some other posts. My husband just installed a solar electricity generation setup but we are experiencing challenges. So far we have not been able to use it. Below are some of the details (mind you, I'm not a techie smiley).
8mm cables
2 12v 200ah batteries
The issue is dt the batteries charge extremely slowly such that if any load is put on d inverter it quickly discharges. The batteries also discharge even when no load is on d inverter. As such, my husband had to disconnect the solar setup because we were better off using the generator to charge the inverter.
We suspect there is something not quite right with the whole setup. Can you help identify it? Or kindly design the ideal setup for the items I listed above so we can try another installer.
I should also point out that we only allowed about 4 hrs of charge before loading the inverter.
It's all so frustrating because he has spent almost 400k on this project without success. Can you also suggest an experienced installer within Gbagada axis?

sure there is something wrong with the setup.

but basically, if your husband is tech person, he can identify it with some guide, if not, you still need some guys here to assist.

280*3=840watts- Not bad for a 24v, 200AH .

first things first,
-check your load,(this does not allow abuse and wastage of power)
-does your solar panels see enough sunlight everyday?
-whats the PV configuration or the way the solar panels are connected(3 in parallel or 3 in series)
-whats the Voltage output and current?
-what type of charge controller(PWM/MPPT? You may snap a pix and post)
-At what point does your system shut down? Battery voltage? whats the max battery voltage you have seen and time it takes before shutdown?(this will show if your batteries are in good shape).

kindly ask any question, other installers around your area can help though
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pheleix: 1:56pm On May 28, 2015
Akerekoroabijawara:
is it a thing I can do by myself? I stay in Osun state
Yes with little guidance. You must have a digital multimeter. Send me a pm so u could exchange numbers
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by salam12(m): 2:10pm On May 28, 2015
Boss13:

Thanks, but I think I need a very good installer to save me

Whatever a good installer has to do will still depend on what your system is capable of handling. What is total load being powered by the system?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 3:43pm On May 28, 2015
hrguru13:
8mm cables
2 12v 200ah batteries

CONFIRM THE CONFIGURATION OF THE PANELS...WHETHER PARALLEL OR SERIES
confirm if the panel is 12v or 24v
confirm if ur charge controller is mppt or pwm
snap a pic of the charge controller....showing the display during daytime.want to see the harvest values.
take a picture of the 8mm cable...want to be really sure its 8mm
make of the solar panel.

there are so many things that cud be wrong, inferior/fake panels, substandard charge controller, wrong panel config+charge controller etc......we need to eliminate these variables 1 by 1
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by hrguru13: 5:08pm On May 28, 2015
To answer the qsns posed:

Load is minimal, just 1 TV, 3 fans and about 7-8 energy saving bulbs
Panels connected in series, 24v
I need to verify if d charge controller is pwm or mppt. Will revert.
Sorry, cnt give u d display pic at d moment because it has been disconnected
When it was on however, the voltage fluctuated between 24.4 and 25.7 on an averagely sunny day
Current was between 54 and 56 amps
D panels are well positioned and get hit maximally by d suns rays during the day. Will post a pic of d controller later.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by salam12(m): 7:39pm On May 28, 2015
hrguru13:
To answer the qsns posed:

Load is minimal, just 1 TV, 3 fans and about 7-8 energy saving bulbs
Panels connected in series, 24v
I need to verify if d charge controller is pwm or mppt. Will revert.
Sorry, cnt give u d display pic at d moment because it has been disconnected
When it was on however, the voltage fluctuated between 24.4 and 25.7 on an averagely sunny day
Current was between 54 and 56 amps
D panels are well positioned and get hit maximally by d suns rays during the day. Will post a pic of d controller later.

Can you please state specification for the panels. When you said you get max 25.7v, is this the voltage from the panels or what your seeing from batteries.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 12:03am On May 29, 2015
bode4real:

Thankyou Sir, God bless you !

(1) (2) (3) ... (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) ... (1696) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Billygent, Sapiosexuality(m), Ealiserwest(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.