Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,362 members, 7,826,426 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 02:10 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 - Travel (246) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 (700174 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (243) (244) (245) (246) (247) (248) (249) ... (432) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Walspring: 3:51pm On Sep 26, 2017
Everest1989:

I pmed you bro

Replied.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Everest1989(m): 5:42pm On Sep 26, 2017
Walspring:

Replied.
I didn't see it...please e-mail me at chimezieeverest@gmail.com thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by align360: 8:04pm On Sep 26, 2017
For the benefit of those that missed out... you can check this out before it expires.

Credit : sharles.

Go ahead submit an application, there’s no cost to you!

The Professional Master of Engineering program (10 courses) and the Graduate Certificate in Engineering program (4 courses) will offer an application fee wavier for the following terms: Winter ‘17, Spring ’18, Summer ‘18, and Fall ‘18.

Eligibility:
The application fee waiver is available to any prospective student applying to Professional Master or Graduate Certificate in Engineering programs. You can view the full listing of admission requirements and programs available for the waiver here.
https://advancedengineering.umd.edu/programs

How it works:
Start your online application here. In the Educational Intent section, select A. James Clark School of Engineering – Advanced Engineering Programs under College/School.

Complete all other required sections according to the instructions here and submit the application. The waiver will be y applied automatically.

Note:
The waiver only applies only to program listed under A. James Clark School of Engineering – Advanced Engineering Programs.
The fee waiver only applies to the submission of one application. If you apply to more than one program you will be charged for the second program.
Further application instructions can be found here.
https://advancedengineering.umd.edu/application-process

Please don’t hesitate to reach out to Anna Damm, Coordinator for Admission and Recruitment, with any questions. She can be reached at adamm1@umd.edu.

We look forward to reviewing your application!

Kindest regards,

Office of Advanced Engineering Education
A. James Clark School of Engineering
University of Maryland
2105 J.M. Patterson Building
College Park, MD 20742
O: 301-405-0362 | F: 301-405-3305
oaee@umd.edu | Apply Now

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Amkc: 8:07pm On Sep 26, 2017
Hey Guys, Which Nigerian Bank is best to open a domicilary account with. A bank that can issue a Gold card irrsepective of someone's status.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Amkc: 8:08pm On Sep 26, 2017
This is so true guys!
align360:
For the benefit of those that missed out... you can check this out before it expires.

The Professional Master of Engineering program (10 courses) and the Graduate Certificate in Engineering program (4 courses) will offer an application fee wavier for the following terms: Winter ‘17, Spring ’18, Summer ‘18, and Fall ‘18.

Eligibility:
The application fee waiver is available to any prospective student applying to Professional Master or Graduate Certificate in Engineering programs. You can view the full listing of admission requirements and programs available for the waiver here.

How it works:
Start your online application here. In the Educational Intent section, select A. James Clark School of Engineering – Advanced Engineering Programs under College/School.

Complete all other required sections according to the instructions here and submit the application. The waiver will be y applied automatically.

Note:
The waiver only applies only to program listed under A. James Clark School of Engineering – Advanced Engineering Programs.
The fee waiver only applies to the submission of one application. If you apply to more than one program you will be charged for the second program.

Please don’t hesitate to reach out to Anna Damm, Coordinator for Admission and Recruitment, with any questions. She can be reached at adamm1@umd.edu.

Kindest regards,

University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742
oaee@umd.edu | Apply Now
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Abigalbee98(f): 8:36pm On Sep 26, 2017
Walspring:

Ha! Na me she sent pm to and no be you ooo. grin
tongue
Walspring:

Ha! Na me she sent pm to and no be you ooo. grin
ela ojukan.....na me she send the pm.....
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by femi312: 9:29pm On Sep 26, 2017
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by femi312: 9:30pm On Sep 26, 2017
align360:

The Professional Master of Engineering program (10 courses) and the Graduate Certificate in Engineering program (4 courses) will offer an application fee wavi
I wont advise anyone to submit an application for this if they cant fund it. Most professional masters are not funded, even funded thesis masters is hard to come by now adays.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 9:46pm On Sep 26, 2017
femi312:
I wont advise anyone to submit an application for this if they cant fund it. Most professional masters are not funded, even funded thesis masters is hard to come by now adays.

same question i asked yesterday oooo. havent gotten an answer

align360: what about funding opportunities because college park is not cheap oo so while it might be free application (*waived ), school fees unko? .....any ideas?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Walspring: 10:06pm On Sep 26, 2017
Everest1989:

I didn't see it...please e-mail me at chimezieeverest@gmail.com
thanks.

Check your junk or spam it should be there.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Walspring: 10:08pm On Sep 26, 2017
Amkc:
Hey Guys, Which Nigerian Bank is best to open a domicilary account with. A bank that can issue a Gold card irrsepective of someone's status.

Fcmb and you can open with $10 and withdrawal is unlimited.

Interested person can send me pm for more information.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by lonelyhrt(f): 10:11pm On Sep 26, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Ya, the exclusion of F grades from WES CGPA evaluations and the upgrades of our C, D and E results to B, C+ and C respectively make their conversion more favorable.

@lonelyhrt...do not be discouraged yet. If you have a copy of your transcript already with you, you can do the WES evaluation yourself to see if the final comes out to at least 2.5/4.0, before you go ahead and pay for the official evaluation. Here is how you do it:

any A you have still remains A = 4 points
your B becomes a B+ = 3.33
your C becomes a B = 3.00 points
your D becomes a C+ = 2.33
your E becomes a C = 2 points
your F still remains an F = 0 (but do not include any failed courses as part of your calculation, only the years that you passed them).

The rest of the CGPA calculation is as usual.

A 3-unit course you made a C in (the C is now a B on the US scale = 3 points) now becomes 3 units * 3 points = 9 grade points.
A 2-unit course you made a D in now becomes C+ = 2.33 = 2 * 2.33 = 4.66 grade points
A 2-unit course you made an E in now becomes C = 2 points = 2 * 2 = 4.00 grade points and so on.

As usual, sum up all your grade points, and divide by the total number of units you did from first year to final year (excluding the units for all failed courses), that should give you your CGPA on the 4-point scale. Do the conversion and let us see if it comes up to 2.5/4.0, and if it does, congratulations. You may now proceed to the official WES evaluation.

In addition to Bowie State University and Morgan State University, I know two other schools that have 2.5/4.0 as minimum GPA requirement for bachelors degree that could admit you for Masters. Do not give up hope yet but you will have to be up and doing about it. Masters in Pharmacology with a 2.50/4.00 GPA may not be too feasible and I strongly advise that you go for similar but less-competitive health courses just so that you get admitted and get in the US and you could try changing your course after first semester of study in the US (provided you make a 3.0/4.0 GPA in your first semester). It is doable but you gotta work hard for it.

LONG POST ALERT grin grin (i pray this becomes true @bigfrancis21 shocked)

let me start here eg:

Course unit Grade Grade Grade point
3 50C 3.0 (3*3=9)
3 44E 1.0 (3*2=6)
2 52C 3.0 (2*3=6)
2 44E 1.0 (2*2=4)
2 54C 3.0 (2*3=6)
Total course unit 12 Total unit grade 31

Total course unit Total grade point
1st yr 31 - 85.32
2nd yr 35 - 91.61
3rd yr 27 - 77.94
4th yr 24 - 67
Ext yr 33 - 92.98

Total grade point/Total course unit=2.76/4 cgpa could this be real shocked for naija 1.75cgp though lots of D's

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by femi312: 11:14pm On Sep 26, 2017
LagosismyHome:

align360: what about funding opportunities because college park is not cheap oo so while it might be free application (*waived ), school fees unko? .....any ideas?
There cant be funding with a professional masters since most times, its always course based nor research

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by imperiouxx(m): 11:19pm On Sep 26, 2017
lonelyhrt:

let me start here eg:

3 50C 3.0 (3*3=9)
3 44E 1.0 (3*2=6)
2 52C 3.0 (2*3=6)
2 44E 1.0 (2*2=4)
2 54C 3.0 (2*3=6)

1st yr 31 - 85.32
2nd yr 35 - 91.61
3rd yr 27 - 77.94
4th yr 24 - 67
Ext yr 33 - 92.98

Total grade point/Total course unit=2.76/4 cgpa could this be real shocked for naija 1.75cgp though lots of D's

If you haven't sent your transcript to Wes try do that and see what you come up with so you can have rest of mind.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by milo9(m): 11:20pm On Sep 26, 2017
Hello powerful gurus, please after finding schools to apply to, what are the next steps to take. I'm a newbie and thanks for the great works you're doing here
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by OjaP: 11:49pm On Sep 26, 2017
lonelyhrt:

let me start here eg:

3 50C 3.0 (3*3=9)
3 44E 1.0 (3*2=6)
2 52C 3.0 (2*3=6)
2 44E 1.0 (2*2=4)
2 54C 3.0 (2*3=6)

1st yr 31 - 85.32
2nd yr 35 - 91.61
3rd yr 27 - 77.94
4th yr 24 - 67
Ext yr 33 - 92.98

You can never ever get to 2.76 GPA with your 1.75 CGPA from Nigeria. I am not sure any American university will admit you with a 1.75; it's most unlikely.

I am sorry if this would diminish your joy. I just want to be honest with you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Nobody: 1:05am On Sep 27, 2017
OjaP:

You can never ever get to 2.76 GPA with your 1.75 CGPA from Nigeria. I am not sure any American university will admit you with a 1.75; it's most unlikely.

I am sorry if this would diminish your joy. I just want to be honest with you.
He can get into private university here in the US. Not in Health related field.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by herrlicher: 3:12am On Sep 27, 2017
I didn't write TOEFL and GRE and I got my visa. I bless God for that.
Its all depends on how u present yourself, your confidence and spoken English and way of expression matter a lot here. U must be untop of your game wen u meet your friend ( VO).

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by texrem(m): 3:15am On Sep 27, 2017
Texrem is back gidigba.. Oya #spring2018 where at thou? grin grin grin Holla for any form of payments whatever you might call it. I am her to help you guys. See you all in amelika grin

11 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by bigfrancis21: 3:22am On Sep 27, 2017
lonelyhrt:

let me start here eg:

3 50C 3.0 (3*3=9)
3 44E 1.0 (3*2=6)
2 52C 3.0 (2*3=6)
2 44E 1.0 (2*2=4)
2 54C 3.0 (2*3=6)

1st yr 31 - 85.32
2nd yr 35 - 91.61
3rd yr 27 - 77.94
4th yr 24 - 67
Ext yr 33 - 92.98

First, I must say well done on your painstaking efforts at doing this! Quite impressed I must say. cool

Second, your new GPA is quite possible, that is if you did everything correctly. I 'guestimated' somewhere around 2.5/4.0, +- 0.05, and yours came out to be 2.76/4.0. Like I said before, your 1.75/5.0 Nigerian GPA is due to the inclusion of all your Fs, which without the inclusion of the Fs, would probably be around 2.4/5.0 Nigerian scale, which correlates to (2.5-2.76)/4.0 US WES scale.

Third, with this, I would say proceed with the evaluation of your transcript knowing that your GPA will probably be at least 2.5/4.0 after evaluation.

Fourth, @OjaP....actually if she evaluates her transcript and it comes out to be at least 2.5/4.0, she would be applying to schools requiring external evaluation with her WES evaluation, and not with her direct Nigerian transcript which gives her a shot at possible admission or conditional admission worse case scenario. Let's encourage her to give it a shot and let's see how it turns out for her.

So go ahead and evaluate with WES and let's hope for the best. I look forward to learning what your final and official GPA turns out to be! cheesy

Thank you for posting this on here for the learning benefit of other people. Your post could serve as a source of hope to others like you who may feel reluctant to pursue their academic goals in the US due to their perceived low GPA.

7 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by bigfrancis21: 3:25am On Sep 27, 2017
herrlicher:
Its all depends on how u present yourself, your confidence and spoken English and way of expression matter a lot here. U must be untop of your game wen u meet your friend ( VO).

Congrats, please share with us your interview transcript for us to read! cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by bigfrancis21: 3:28am On Sep 27, 2017
LagosismyHome:

Be prepared to come in with some money in your pocket because UMD is not a cheap school and professional engineering master's programs are expensive because their degrees/certificates are worth it. UMD does have plenty GA opportunities (in administrative capacity such as IT GA) all over campus but they can be very competitive and you need to be on the top of your game to stand a shot.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by bigfrancis21: 3:35am On Sep 27, 2017
Sanctus1:
I need some help..i applied to a graduate school, my toefl result was low so I presented my attestation letter which made the school to waive that one for me..i didn't write GRE although they said I would need it to complete my application before the end of the semester. please what's my possibility of getting a student visa

First, which school is that? You may need to drop it for your own benefit, someone else here studying in the school or who applied to it before may be able to better assist you. Things like a school that you applied to are not things to hide on this forum, you never can tell the wealth of information and help you may receive by being totally open.

Second, if the school needs GRE, boy they NEED GRE. You must satisfy ALL requirements to get admission. I have noticed that we Nigerians love to think that if I satisfy 3 out of 5 requirements, I don try na, they should mercy for me. Unfortunately the US system does not work that way and they have a system that applies the same requirements to everybody. It is a system based on merit. You would have to write and pass the GRE to complete your file at the school or believe me your application will remain incomplete/pending while you wait thinking admission will come in, and nothing will and the year comes to an end. Except you choose to apply to another school waiving both requirements. You better act fast.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by align360: 4:55am On Sep 27, 2017
LagosismyHome:

I'm not sure if there's funding opportunities. There might also be some level of tuition waiver for you if you have an outstanding CGPA and GRE score.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by femi312: 5:35am On Sep 27, 2017
herrlicher:
The first sentence is unnecessary and Please each applicant is different. You are not the first and you wont be the last. What works for you, might not work for someone else and vice versa

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by femi312: 5:37am On Sep 27, 2017
align360:

I'm not sure if there's funding opportunities. There might also be some level of tuition waiver for you if you have an outstanding CGPA and GRE score.
Tuition waiver? Are you the dean? Most thesis masters dont get tuition waiver in UMD takeless of a one year masters program that adds nothing to the department
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Everest1989(m): 6:35am On Sep 27, 2017
Walspring:

Check your junk or spam it should be there.
I didn't see it...please e-mail me at chimezieeverest@gmail.com is about my application fee...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by enigbon: 6:46am On Sep 27, 2017
nice one bro, please what uni did u get admitted to
herrlicher:
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by OjaP: 7:21am On Sep 27, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Fourth, @OjaP....actually if she evaluates her transcript and it comes out to be at least 2.5/4.0, she would be applying to schools requiring external evaluation with her WES evaluation, and not with her direct Nigerian transcript which gives her a shot at possible admission or conditional admission worse case scenario. Let's encourage her to give it a shot and let's see how it turns out for her.

So go ahead and evaluate with WES and let's hope for the best. I look forward to learning what your final and official GPA turns out to be! cheesy

Thank you for posting this on here for the learning benefit of other people. Your post could serve as a source of hope to others like you who may feel reluctant to pursue their academic goals in the US due to their perceived low GPA.

Thanks for the explanation BigF. I'm eager to see what the converted CGPA would be. I hope he shares it with us when it's all done.

Thanks again.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Drocks: 7:41am On Sep 27, 2017
texrem:
Texrem is back gidigba.. Oya #spring2018 where at thou? grin grin grin Holla for any form of payments whatever you might call it. I am her to help you guys. See you all in amelika grin
welcome back baba, you got PM. Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Observer25: 8:01am On Sep 27, 2017
align360:

Eligibility:

How it works:

Note:

Kindest regards,

University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742
oaee@umd.edu | Apply Now

no GRE required?

(1) (2) (3) ... (243) (244) (245) (246) (247) (248) (249) ... (432)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** / General Australian Visa Enquiries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.