Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,796 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:05 PM

Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist (23163 Views)

Abba Kyari Tried To Clean Up Nigeria, Says The Economist Of London / Ben Ayade And Ivara Esu, His Deputy: Nobody Knows Tomorrow / The Economist : Atiku Was Singled Out By America’s Senate On Corruption & More. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by Amberon11: 2:42am On Jul 14, 2017
Is the bolded true?
einsteine:

Exactly. Niger Republic, like the North, has a high birth rate and is bigger than Nigeria. Yet it's population is low: 21 million people.

Arid and sahel regions are unlikely to support high populations even if there is a high birth rate. There would be high infant mortality which evens things out.

It is clear to discerning people that the population of the North is fraudulent.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by kikake: 2:44am On Jul 14, 2017
BiafraIShere:
The country was obviously built on lies right from day one. What a shame, its either total resource control or balkanization. Thank God for Nnamdi Kanu, OUR MUMU DON DO!!

Behind the population scandal is sharing national revenues in a most increasing unitary government system.

The British studied Nigeria well and granted independence for Nigeria for three regions.

Between 1967 to 1996, Hausa/Fulani used its military dictators and created 20 new federal units - 19 states and Abuja - plus hundreds of local government areas in the one northern region.
But they created only 17 new states and far less number of local government councils in the once two southern regions.

Mathematically, 1 yielded 20 states; while 2 yielded 17 states.

This is the most huge fraud about Nigeria, because land mass is never used as a criterion to create new states or regions or local government areas in a federal country where diverse regions came together to form one country.

There should have been more states and local government councils in the two southern regions, than in the one northern region today.

Three senators come from each state, according to the constitution also supervised by the same northern military dictators.

Therefore, from the 20 states in the north, an emergent northern super-political class draws undue political over-representation to all aspects of the country's political process, including at the National Assembly, to determine what can be where and who can be what in Nigeria's political process.

Through the large number of states and local government councils in the north, more than large quantities of the country's shared revenues and development projects go to the north.

This ugly situation has been endured for about forty years by the shortchanged southern groups; it's no more tolerable.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by senatordave1(m): 2:50am On Jul 14, 2017
joyandfaith:

Most pakistani lives in fertile area. India has no birth control policy. China has relaxed policy on birth control and india is one of bric nations with emerging economies. Fulani cannot graze in north because the area is desert. Fulanis want to settle in south, not north just to prove that south is more populous that north.
Pakistanis have a dispersed settlement,they dwell everywhere not just the fertile areas.stop this your theory of most people dwelling in fertile areas.i have even so called fertile areas like cross river and anambra to show you that even such areas have empty landmass.i have used china,india and pakistan to show you that areas with high birth rates would always have a high population.
In one breathe,you claim that the fulanis graze in the south because the north is a desert.again,you again claimed that the fulanis graze in the south because of more population.do cows eat people or grass? I thought grazing in the south is part of an islamisation agenda as you would later claim in another thread.the north you claim to be a desert and infertile is where most of our agricultural products are cultivated and used our arable south.dont forget that even some forested areas are largely uninhabited like the amazon forest un brazil,hurtgen forest in germany.
Even when the british counted us,the north was found to be more populous.even if they manipulated it,it would still be far more credible than our own figures.its not possible that they would favour muslims against christians like themselves as erroneously believed by southerners.let me also add that they are more ethnicities in the south than in the north

1 Like

Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by franudi: 2:53am On Jul 14, 2017
20CRATES:

Population density is a combination of two factors, population and SIZE.
Rwanda has a higher population density than Nigeria but is smaller than Nigeria in population by far, because of its small size Simply put, it is more tightly packed buy contains less people.

In case you don't know Yorubas and Hausas are both more populated than Igbos, but both have more land. The whole South East sef is just about Oyo state size plus small Jara.
You have refuse to understand that even Nigeria as a whole is too small for Igbos.

1 Like

Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by EazyMoh(m): 2:53am On Jul 14, 2017
joyandfaith:

wrong. Just like saying US should have higher population than China because of land mass. China as well as India has small land mass but larger population than US.
If you don't understand something just ask for explanation.
Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by Rick9(m): 2:55am On Jul 14, 2017
But who amalgamated this country ?
Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by EazyMoh(m): 2:59am On Jul 14, 2017
senatordave1:
Census figures are manipulated everywhere in the country,i believe we southerners may be more guilty of that.during the 2006 census,my village which has less than 1000 people recorded over 4000 courtesy of my uncle who was incharge due to the belief that higher population begets higher government attention,revenue and patronage and amenities.this inflation is what is only obtainable during elections and with inec registers.a peep at the national voters register between 1979 to 1993 would reveal a lot of discrepancies.i believe that nigeria is less than 100million.
About who is more populous between the north and south,i believe that the north is clearly more populous.they have a higher birth rate due to their religion and lifestyle.the only place we have such birth rates in the south is among the yoruba muslims and the akwa ibomites.the birth rate of ibo women has dropped due,i noticed this during my service in anambra.many households are not more than 6 there.here in crossriver state where i am,i see a lot of northerners around.there are even rivalling the ibos in population of non indigenes.i also observed this in rivers and akwa ibom states.the south has more population density but when compared with the large landmass of the north,the north comes top.in the interim,maybe the united nations should come and conduct our census
Exactly it's the population density versus landmass relationship that people don't seem to understand
Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by franudi: 2:59am On Jul 14, 2017
davidif:

You are talking as if the Southern states don't do the same thing or are you one of those hypocrites that looks at others transgressions without looking at yours?
Why not always do the right things.Must we be propagating the wrong things always.Are we caused in this country?
Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by senatordave1(m): 2:59am On Jul 14, 2017
kikake:

The British studied Nigeria well and granted independence for Nigeria for three regions.

Between 1967 to 1996, Hausa/Fulani used its military dictators and created 20 new federal units - 19 states and Abuja - plus hundreds of local government areas in the one northern region.
But they created only 17 new states and far less number of local government councils in the once two southern regions.

This is the fraud in Nigeria, because land mass is never used as a criterion to create new states or regions or local government areas in a federal country where diverse regions came together to form one country.

There should have been more states and local government councils in the two southern regions, than in the one northern region today.

Three senators come from each state, according to the constitution also supervised by the same northern military dictators.

Therefore, from the 20 states in the north, an emergent northern super-political class draws undue political over-representation to all aspects of the country's political process, including at the National Assembly, to determine what can be where and who can be what in Nigeria's political process.

Through the large number of states and local government councils in the north, more than large quantities of the country's shared revenues and development projects go to the north.

This ugly situation has been endured for about forty years by the shortchanged southern groups; it's no more tolerable.
Sir,doesnt it sound odd for the north thats 3 times bigger than the south to have less number of states than the south? Upon all the monies given to the north,cant u see that they are far mor underdeveloped and poorer than the south? Dont you realize that the niger delta states get the highest share from the federaation account but have misused it? The defunct northeen region was never balkanized because it was more united as one region unlike the south that has 3 disunited regions.
Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by Abagworo(m): 3:03am On Jul 14, 2017
In present day reality the North has more population if the census is based on "State of residence" like the 2006 census. If "State of origin" is used Anambra closely followed by Imo will be by far the most populous States in Nigeria. There has been decades of systemic deprivation which lead to mass outward migration of people from the 2 States but yet they remain the most densely populated States after Lagos State.

1 Like

Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by senatordave1(m): 3:07am On Jul 14, 2017
joyandfaith:

Most immigrants settle in south.
Which immigrants? Are these immigrants not mostly nigerians? How many foreigners are in nigeria.most foreigners are from niger,cameroun,chad,sudan,mali and they mostly settle in the north which has porous borders.the whitemen that are mostly in the south are less than the african immigrants.
Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by senatordave1(m): 3:15am On Jul 14, 2017
Amberon11:
The entire north is a desert compared to the south.
How dare you utter such fallacy? Is benue state a desert? Is it not more fertile than almost all southern states? Kogi,kwara,plateau,taraba,nasarawa,abuja,gombe are not deserts.most part of the north are not deserts.its just that the sahara is encroaching into the northernmost part of states like sokoto,borno,yobe,jigawa,katsina,kaduna,kano,zamfara.many of the creeks and swampy areas of the niger delta are largely uninhabited.the heavily forested area of akamkpa in cross river is sparsely populated.
Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by kikake: 3:16am On Jul 14, 2017
senatordave1:

Sir,doesnt it sound odd for the north thats 3 times bigger than the south to have less number of states than the south? Upon all the monies given to the north,cant u see that they are far mor underdeveloped and poorer than the south? Dont you realize that the niger delta states get the highest share from the federaation account but have misused it? The defunct northeen region was never balkanized because it was more united as one region unlike the south that has 3 disunited regions.

Did you not read me write that land mass is never used as a criterion to divide a country onto states or regions or local government councils?

The northern part of Russia is nearly half of the Russian federation by land mass, but that northern Russia does not have up to 1/5 of Russia's political units, like regions or states, and representatives in Russia's Parliament.

Nigeria's states should have been created based on near equal proportions between then three regions -north, southeast and southwest - that entered into independent Nigeria in 1960.
Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by seguno2: 3:17am On Jul 14, 2017
aolawale025:
As long as population remains a factor for sharing revenue. We cannot have an accurate head count

That is one of the reasons why we should restructure or break up the country.
The Yorubas need to aggressively pursue this agenda also to make it a reality so that we stop being slaves to the manipulative Fulanis.

1 Like

Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by Abagworo(m): 3:20am On Jul 14, 2017
senatordave1:

You cannot defend the truth also.you hate the borth,your biased against them,your previous comments have shown that.egypt has just river nile but the north has several rivers including niger and benue rivers.northern sudan that is a desert is more populous than southern sudan thats forested.the concentration of most of niger's population in the south shows that the north is habitable.my state cross river is the most forested state in nigeria but many areas are uninhabited.even anambra state that has the second highest population density has some empty land between ihiala to ozubulu up till obosi flyover.this is also seen around oyi lga,idemili north to anaocha and anambra east and west lga.ekwusigo claims to have 158,000 people but am afraid there are not up to a 100,000.since you claim the north is the only one that inflates census,do u also claim that they are the only one that inflates figures during national elections?

The issue of discourse is not resident population of Ekwusigo but Ekwusigo both at home and diaspora which should be up to 400,000.
Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by senatordave1(m): 3:38am On Jul 14, 2017
kikake:

Did you not read me write that land mass is never used as a criterion to divide a country onto states or regions or local government councils?

The northern part of Russia is nearly half of the Russian federation by land mass, but that northern Russia does not have up to 1/5 of Russia's political units, like regions or states, and representatives in Russia's Parliament.

Nigeria's states should have been created based on near equal proportions between then three regions -north, southeast and southwest - that entered into independent Nigeria in 1960.
That one is russia which is highly developed and not tied to primitivity and primordial sentiments.nigeria has not evolved to that stage yet.for now,we are using landmass and pooulation for state creation.when we reach the stage of south africa,we can advance.

1 Like

Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by senatordave1(m): 3:49am On Jul 14, 2017
Abagworo:

The issue of discourse is not resident population of Ekwusigo but Ekwusigo both at home and diaspora which should be up to 400,000.
Sir abagworo,i am one of your ardent admirers and followers.i dont want to argue with you based on my fervour towards you but i must.how can all the natives of ekwusigo be 400,000 worldwide when much of its present population is non indigenous and all ibos commonly state that 40 to 50% of ibos are outside their homeland.no place in this world can have more of its native population outside than at home(except israelis,jews) except war torn countries.i will agree with your earlier assertion that anambra and imo have the highest natives only in southern nigeria but that doesnt make the south more populated than the north indigenously or otherwise.kano,katsina,kaduna,borno,niger,bauchi,benue has more natives than anambra.even akwa ibom,oyo,delta,osun,edo,ogun rival anambra and imo
Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by positivetaught: 5:35am On Jul 14, 2017
Solving this population problem would have been easy with national identity registration but it appears for certain interest the confusion serves a more suitable purpose.
Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by EazyMoh(m): 5:48am On Jul 14, 2017
Amberon11:
The entire north is a desert compared to the south.
See ignorance! I smdh!

1 Like

Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by Warship: 6:08am On Jul 14, 2017
senatordave1:

Sir abagworo,i am one of your ardent admirers and followers.i dont want to argue with you based on my fervour towards you but i must.how can all the natives of ekwusigo be 400,000 worldwide when much of its present population is non indigenous and all ibos commonly state that 40 to 50% of ibos are outside their homeland.no place in this world can have more of its native population outside than at home(except israelis,jews) except war torn countries.i will agree with your earlier assertion that anambra and imo have the highest natives only in southern nigeria but that doesnt make the south more populated than the north indigenously or otherwise.kano,katsina,kaduna,borno,niger,bauchi,benue has more natives than anambra.even akwa ibom,oyo,delta,osun,edo,ogun rival anambra and imo

What do you know about the Igbos and their love for business migration

There are 4 times more Igbos outside Igboland than within Igboland

That your tribesmen don't travel doesn't mean Igbos don't

Stop deceiving yourself about 40 or 50 % of every global ethnic group live within their territory

What of the Jews who are 10 times more outside Israel than within Israel.

1 Like

Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by juman(m): 6:16am On Jul 14, 2017
grin grin grin

One nigeria is waste of time.

1 Like

Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by DonroxyII: 6:36am On Jul 14, 2017
ONYEUTALI:
This is another shameful lie that'll be busted on the faces of the Nigerian elites when Biafra goes. The North will be forced to tell themselves the truth about their population. Right now they're feeding on Southern Tax money claiming they have 70 percent of the Nigerian population.
Which other country in West Africa had more population in the North than in the South? Why was Nigeria's different? Why does International Maps show condensed population in the South and Nigerian Maps does otherwise?
It hurt me to believe ordinary Aboki has been cheating me for 57 years. Where the hell did the Illiterate North get this smartness from?
Power derived from the barrel of the Gun .....

An average Aboki is ready to die for what he believed in while an average southerner is scared of death as ultimatum for what he believed in!!!
Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by Justiceleague1: 6:43am On Jul 14, 2017
Two facts are indisputable

1. Globally,people tend to move/migrate in their numbers from arid regions to swampy/dense regions. But in nigeria,the reverse is the case,due to northern propaganda.

2. Lagos is by far more populated than kano.

#REFERADUMisNOW
Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by ITbomb(m): 6:48am On Jul 14, 2017
How can the world take us serious when we lie stupid lie

Satellite pictures always shows a densely populated South but Northern Population Commission says otherwise

Africapolis, a French-funded research project, used satellite mapping to estimate the population of towns and cities in 2010. It found several cities, mostly in the north, had hundreds of thousands fewer people than the 2006 census counted

1 Like

Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by joyandfaith: 7:01am On Jul 14, 2017
EazyMoh:

If you don't understand something just ask for explanation.
read ur geography again and understand factors determining population size and growth. that North has larger land mass does not translate to larger population . and birth rates alone is not determinant of population size. nobody knows true population of Nigeria because previous censuses we're political.

1 Like

Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by joyandfaith: 7:16am On Jul 14, 2017
senatordave1:

Which immigrants? Are these immigrants not mostly nigerians? How many foreigners are in nigeria.most foreigners are from niger,cameroun,chad,sudan,mali and they mostly settle in the north which has porous borders.the whitemen that are mostly in the south are less than the african immigrants.

those immigrants eventually find themselves in south because of jobs. think of immigrants from Benin, Togo etc who are in Nigeria for labour. this is to say it is resource is main factor that drive settlement. many northerners always roaming the south for menial job. why? resource. I believe North West population is overestimated due to political reasons. Estimates of North Central and North East may be close to true value just estimates from south. From 1991 and 2006, population of old kano state(kano and jigawa) has tripled that of Lagos State. Jigawa was carved out of old kano state while no state has been carved out of Lagos State.
Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by senatordave1(m): 7:17am On Jul 14, 2017
ITbomb:
How can the world take us serious when we lie stupid lie

Satellite pictures always shows a densely populated South but Northern Population Commission says otherwise

Satellite picture are simply showing the density of the south over the north.satellite images are just images and not fool proof.its just like looking at a map or atlas.if you disperse the southern population over the land area of the north you will see a dispersal or sparsity of population.if you look at telecom/telephone datas,it still produce results similar to the 2006 census

3 Likes

Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by senatordave1(m): 7:23am On Jul 14, 2017
Justiceleague1:
Two facts are indisputable

1. Globally,people tend to move/migrate in their numbers from arid regions to swampy/dense regions. But in nigeria,the reverse is the case,due to northern propaganda.

2. Lagos is by far more populated than kano.

#REFERADUMisNOW
Lagos is more populated than kano.but mosr tribes in nigeria are in the north which shows people choose the north over the south.even southerners are fond of propaganda
Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by walexbiz(m): 7:24am On Jul 14, 2017
ONYEUTALI:
This is another shameful lie that'll be busted on the faces of the Nigerian elites when Biafra goes. The North will be forced to tell themselves the truth about their population. Right now they're feeding on Southern Tax money claiming they have 70 percent of the Nigerian population.
Which other country in West Africa had more population in the North than in the South? Why was Nigeria's different? Why does International Maps show condensed population in the South and Nigerian Maps does otherwise?
It hurt me to believe ordinary Aboki has been cheating me for 57 years. Where the hell did the Illiterate North get this smartness from?

Guy don't blame the north, blame our useless leaders in the south who connive with northerners to perpetrate this evil.

1 Like

Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by senatordave1(m): 7:31am On Jul 14, 2017
joyandfaith:

those immigrants eventually find themselves in south because of jobs. think of immigrants from Benin, Togo etc who are in Nigeria for labour. this is to say it is resource is main factor that drive settlement. many northerners always roaming the south for menial job. why? resource. I believe North West population is overestimated due to political reasons. Estimates of North Central and North East may be close to true value just estimates from south. From 1991 and 2006, population of old kano state(kano and jigawa) has tripled that of Lagos State. Jigawa was carved out of old kano state while no state has been carved out of Lagos State.
Madam,your beginning to annoy me.didnt i earlier state that there are more immigrants from niger,cameroun,chad,mali than togolese and benin imiigrants and there are mostly in the north? I also postulated that immigrant population is too minor to be factored since our population is mainly made of indigenous nigerians
Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by walexbiz(m): 7:31am On Jul 14, 2017
senatordave1:

What about egypt that has almost a 100million people? What about iraq and iran that are in the deserts but heavily populated? Do u know that china and the usa has deserts? Your main premises is bordered on the north being a desert.thats not totally true.many areas of the north are forested and arable

Why are you people so unfriendly with the truth, yes we know there are desert which densely populated, but are you telling me that Texas is more populated than New York...nah the truth is the southern part of the country is environmentally friendly than the northern part of the country which is becoming arid

1 Like

Re: Why Nobody Knows The Population Of Nigeria - The Economist by airsaylongcon: 7:35am On Jul 14, 2017
20CRATES:

Stfu!
Do you think that on a normal day, Rivers state is anywbere close to Oyo state in population , as shown in the last census?

Without being insulting, yes Rivers is more populated. It is the hub of Nigeria's Oil and Gas industry attracting loads of people both within and outside the country. People flock to commercial centres warranting the increase in population. Oyo may have bigger land mass but not bigger population.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Willie Obiano's Acceptance Speech On His Re-Election As Anambra State Governor / Femi Falana: Why Jonathan Cannot Run For Presidency In 2023 / Lawan’s Supreme Court Victory, Daylight Robbery – Machina Camp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.