Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,674 members, 7,820,370 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:48 PM

Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode (21890 Views)

Joe Igbokwe Reacts To His Drainage And Water Resources Appointment By Sanwo-Olu / Shock As Sanwo-Olu Appoints Joe Igbokwe Special Adviser On Drainage / Lagos Officials Clear Blocked Drainage To Control Flooding In Lekki (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by centvin008(m): 6:04pm On Jul 10, 2017
Lagos State Governor, Mr Akinwunmi Ambode on Monday said the flooding caused by torrential rainfalls in the state within the last few days will soon be a thing of the past.

Governor Ambode assured residents that the state government was working towards embarking on holistic solutions to address the situation once and for all.

He gave the assurance in Ikeja at a sensitisation workshop on water management and environmental control, a prelude to a Water Technology and Environmental Control (WATEC) exhibition expected to hold in Israel later in the year.

The governor said aside from the fact that the issue of flooding was a global phenomenon, urgent steps were being taken to tackle the challenge in a holistic manner and protect Lagos State from future re-occurrence.
He empathised with the flood victims and said that it was painful to see most prime estates flooded with water and roads taken over by floods while many homesteads literally became pools.

Ambode noted that major strategies would be implemented with a view to bequeathing the state with an enduring solution to water management and environmental control.

He said: “If we have learnt anything in the ongoing flooding of some parts of the state, it is that there is an immediate, even urgent need for us to embark upon a review and re-engineering of our canals and drainage systems. This must be pursued hand-in-hand with a clear and crystal re-envisioning of our water management system. So, in effect, what we should immediately pursue is a holistic solution to what is certain to be a recurring problem. It must be a sincere collaboration between government and the citizenry”.

The Governor added that several reforms were being implemented in line with the capacity of the state government to protect the shoreline and carry out de-flooding which he said were equally expensive to implement.

“The issue is when you are talking about reforms, it comes with pains but it is only the vision that drives it through and that is what we are doing,” he said.

http://www.channelstv.com/2017/07/10/working-well-embark-holistic-solutions-permanently-address-flooding-ambode/

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by obataokenwa(m): 6:09pm On Jul 10, 2017
I repeat, prophesy has gone forth that by 2050, Lagos will be consumed by ocean surge. It will look like joke. it has been warned that good drainage system should be built to avert it now cos the signs are even closer than prophesied

21 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by femolacqua(m): 6:47pm On Jul 10, 2017
He needs to start with immediate alacrity.
Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by afroniger: 6:48pm On Jul 10, 2017
That's what a good leader does, he responds.

51 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by wristbangle: 6:50pm On Jul 10, 2017
This supposed to have been the earlier plan so that Lagos (Island specifically) would not be encountering this issue of flooding though we can take exception for the fact that naturally the terrain of the island is at/below sea level but the mentality of black man is wire shamefully hence prefer cure to prevention instead of the other way round.

All the same kudos to ambode for his attention on the issue and we look forward to having his prompt action on it.

Lalasticlala, another flood issue again o sad

3 Likes

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by fineboynl(m): 6:52pm On Jul 10, 2017
what type of drainage?? the area is a low land and below sea level.

11 Likes

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by stevecantrell: 8:18pm On Jul 10, 2017
obataokenwa:
I repeat, prophesy has gone forth that by 2050, Lagos will be consumed by ocean surge. It will look like joke. it has been warned that good drainage system should be built to avert it now cos the signs are even closer than prophesied

Eko atlantic is accelerating the doomsday..

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by MrDandy(m): 9:01pm On Jul 10, 2017
Ambode is truly working cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by dessz(m): 9:01pm On Jul 10, 2017
afroniger:
true, but there is an adage "a stich in time saves nine" if he had created drainage facilities in advance, there wouldn't have been a high rate of flooding like this.

my opinion tho

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by IamAirforce1: 9:01pm On Jul 10, 2017
I Hope no house(s) will be demolished?
Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by mikool007(m): 9:02pm On Jul 10, 2017
My broda

23 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by mmsen: 9:02pm On Jul 10, 2017
afroniger:

A better leader preempts, especially when dealing with an annual event.

But Ambode has pleased me so far. I don't expect for him to disappoint me now.
Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by nairaman66(m): 9:02pm On Jul 10, 2017
Long over due! Lagos should fix the petty things first before turning into a mega city!! Good move by Ambode

4 Likes

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by three: 9:03pm On Jul 10, 2017
Re-engineer?

Like the Lekki-Epe roundabouts?

When you lie that you will do something and believe your own lie that you have done it, there is no need to do it again

3 Likes

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by Nobody: 9:03pm On Jul 10, 2017
Lagos has the money. So no excuse

2 Likes

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by auntysimbiat(f): 9:04pm On Jul 10, 2017
Hmm
Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by stevenson007: 9:05pm On Jul 10, 2017
r
Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by chuksjuve(m): 9:05pm On Jul 10, 2017
when I remember that Lagos genetates #300 billion monthly IGR, and this is all we can get?..
Nigeria needs selfless and proactive leaders.

3 Likes

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by fait10(m): 9:06pm On Jul 10, 2017
Gov ambode

2 Likes

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by esophieso(m): 9:10pm On Jul 10, 2017
This is crazy
Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by PointZerom: 9:10pm On Jul 10, 2017
This glorified criminal should be arrested.

1 Like

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by ChangetheChange: 9:10pm On Jul 10, 2017
grin grin grin

Re-Engineeer canals?
Instead of demolishing the entire Lekki and VGC like they did to Maroko

Ambode u are wasting ur time and Lagos state money, if u like restructure the canals, flooding on the island will remain inevitable, as long as Lekki phase 1 and VGC still exists, the flooding will never stop, those estates are meant to be canals/ drainage ways in the first place and not housing estates.

The greatest fear of Lagosians is now The Eko Atlantic Project, the inevitable DOOMSDAY mother of all flood due to the Eko Atlantic is less than ten years from now--Quote me anywhere

The only lasting solution is to Demolish all the houses in Lekki and VgC and convert the whole land to CANAL in order to allow for proper flow of water and prevent flood.

There should be nothing like Lekki phase 1, VGC and other estates on lekki /Ajah axis, those places should be entirely a canal and not housing estates---Quote me anywhere

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by Othybaba(m): 9:14pm On Jul 10, 2017
My best Governor ride On....
Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by crystalnet: 9:14pm On Jul 10, 2017
Please come to Ketu first.
Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by tron23(m): 9:15pm On Jul 10, 2017
There are certain things about Nigeria that never cease to amaze me. What's so difficult in constructing proper drainage facilities. For God sake its not rocket science. Instead of building pedestrian bridges and commissioning police cars why can't our government focus on the important things. Someone just lost his Honda crosstour (950k Bill), haba.

What exactly does Ambode and tinubu do with all the so called internally generated income. Please tell me what's the essence of building Eco Atlantic when lekki , vgc and Victoria island are all under water.

It's indeed a curse to be born a Nigerian. YES I SAID IT.

7 Likes

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by marooh: 9:16pm On Jul 10, 2017
Arm bode grin

Arm: hand.
Bode: sign for future!

Heheheheheh una go dey where e hand go sign for future drainage till dry season come cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by admindim: 9:16pm On Jul 10, 2017
nawa
Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by darhray(m): 9:17pm On Jul 10, 2017
MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS

5 Likes

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by Daraplato(m): 9:18pm On Jul 10, 2017

Infinix HOT for sale. Screen is broken a little. Touch working perfectly. 1gb RAM + 16gb Internal memory.
Memory card + new battery included.

PRICE IS 10K LAST. NO Negotiation.

Call/WhatsApp 08101091320

Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by tolexy123: 9:19pm On Jul 10, 2017
fineboynl:
what type of drainage?? the area is a low land and below sea level.
mayb they dont know
Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by OBAGADAFFI: 9:20pm On Jul 10, 2017
Massive demolition should start ASAP.

And all major roads and drains should be built high.
Re: Flooding: Lagos To Re-engineer Canals, Drainage Systems – Ambode by Pavore9: 9:20pm On Jul 10, 2017
They better do that!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Charles Idahosa: I Will Support A Northern President After Buhari's Tenure / "Murders", Death Threats & Indiscriminate Arrests: Post-lekki Shooting Cover Up / With Okorocha Technically Ousted, Is There Any Hope For Buhari In South-East?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.