Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,180 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:25 AM

Protesting Lagosians Pledge Support For Fashola, Nobody Can Stop Us - Speaker - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Protesting Lagosians Pledge Support For Fashola, Nobody Can Stop Us - Speaker (912 Views)

No One Can Stop Us From Grazing In The South — Fulani Herdsmen / ACN Is Searching For Fashola’s Successor / Searching For Fashola's Achievements (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Protesting Lagosians Pledge Support For Fashola, Nobody Can Stop Us - Speaker by selingel: 10:51am On Feb 02, 2010
Protesting Lagosians Pledge Support For Fashola
• Say Assembly Not Fit To Probe Gov
• Nobody Can Stop Us – Speaker

By Akinwunmi King and Ekene Okoro, Lagos

Former Federal Capital Territory Minister, Jeremiah Useni (left); former General Officer Commanding 2nd Mechanised Division of the Army, Joshua Dongoyaro; and National Security Adviser, Sarki Muktar; at the meeting of Plateau State leaders with Vice President Goodluck Jonathan at the Villa in Abuja , on Monday. Photos: Tunde Olaniyi.

THOUSANDS of Lagosians, from the city centre and from the outskirts, all dressed in black – and carrying placards and banners – marched on the streets on Monday to express support for Governor Babatunde Fashola, who is under threat of impeachment by the state House of Assembly.
He faces allegations of financial misappropriation, charges said to be trumped up by his adversaries, backed by former Governor Bola Tinubu.
The rally, which took off at Adebola House in Ikeja, comprised members of Coalition of Youths for Good Governance (CYGG), Movement for Good Governance (MGG), Lovers of Raji Fashola (LORAFASH).

There were women and youths, as well as members of the crippled association.
Their action was sparked off by an advertorial in The Punch of January 28, stating allegations of financial malpractices by Fashola and his cabinet, which prompted lawmakers to set up a panel of six members to investigate the charges.

The groups made a first stop at the Assembly to register their displeasure with Speaker Adeyemi Ikuforiji, saying the legislators are not qualified to probe the allegations, since they are also accused of collecting N20 million each from Fashola.
Some of the placards read: “Don’t tamper with the Lord’s Chosen,” “Don’t destroy the gains of continuity,” “Eko o ni gba igba kugba (Lagos won’t accept rubbish),” “We shall not succumb to the orchestrated campaign of calumny,” “No controversy Speaker, Fashola is our man,” “We know who are Lagosians,” “Distraction causes destruction,” “House of Assembly, don’t distract our Governor.”
Speaking on behalf of the protesters, Abiodun Olugbenro, a Bishop, said the groups took to the streets to express their support for Fashola and his quest to change the face of the state.

“We decided to come to the House of Assembly to ask from (Ikuforiji) that if really they want to do any investigation, why can’t they start from themselves? The publication accused (Fashola) wrongly. It accused the lawmakers too, but they decided to set up a kangaroo Committee to investigate (him).
“What we are telling them is that we know that our Governor is a transparent man. They too should face the panel. We are here to tell the Governor that we are behind him,” Olugbenro said.
Ikuforiji told the protesters that the probe would proceed, however.
He denied that the intention is to impeach Fashola.

His words: “There is nothing like impeachment move in the House. This House is for 18 million Lagosians and we will defend the interest of all.
"The truth is that we read in the publication where some people alleged that the House has collected money from (Fashola) and that he has done many bad things.
“What we are saying is that if anyone accuses the House and our Governor, this House will investigate it in the interest of everybody. We will make the investigation public for everybody to see. All we are interested in is to clear the name of the House and that of (Fashola).
“We know what to do, as the defender of democracy, it is the right of the House to look into the allegations – and if you so desire, the House will make that investigation a public one for everybody to witness it. Nobody can harass the House not to do its job.

“All we are interested in is to clear the name of the House. All we are interested in is to clear the name of (Fashola).
“No matter how highly placed a person is, that person cannot stop us from doing our job. I want to assure you that we will go ahead with the investigation.”
The protesters reacted by shouting and raining abuses on the legislators, and went up to the Governor’s Office in Ikeja, where, speaking on behalf of voters in the state, Olufemi Odusanya expressed support for Fashola, saying Lagos is better off with his administration.

“We must put a stop to it because if we don’t, it can snowball into another thing. We are voters, we have seen the environmental beautification you are doing and other things, and we don’t want anybody to come and disrupt Lagos for us.
“Basically we are here to tell you that we are solidly behind you and we will stand beside you for the peace, development and goodness of the people of Lagos State”, Odusanya said.

Fashola had earlier reiterated in television broadcast that there is no need for the rally, as there is no contest between himself and Tinubu.
He attributed the feud to the work of fifth columnists, adding that the press has been unfair to Tinubu, without who he (Fashola) would not have become Governor.

He told the protesters: “My obligation is to do the best I can with my colleagues to protect all of you from harm; nobody’s life is worth this office to me.
"I am therefore renewing my appeal to you that the rally in my support is not necessary.
"I reiterate my words in the broadcast, and I renew my appeal to you, as much as I appreciate your concern."
He noted that the unrest has not been helped by the fact that after nearly 50 years of independence, Nigeria is yet to witness a successful transfer of power.
“The truth is that our country is where it is today because in all of 50 years, we have never had a successful transfer of power.

"This model that we have in Lagos is proving successful, and because there are no previous successes, there is no precedent to turn to. We must therefore all learn new rules and we must also learn compromise.”
He also appealed to the protesters to remain calm, saying the Assembly is also working in consonance with the executive to move the state forward.
“Let us understand that the (lawmakers) were elected by you in the same way you elected me. And I assure you that they are also as concerned as you are and they would act always in your best interest.
“Do not allow fifth columnists to destroy what all of you have laboured to build. The lawmakers and I have no other place to go other than Lagos. I appeal to you once again to remain calm, it is well. Keep the peace because we need the peace to continue to do what you elected us to do.”

http://independentngonline.com/DailyIndependent/Article.aspx?id=7842
Re: Protesting Lagosians Pledge Support For Fashola, Nobody Can Stop Us - Speaker by selingel: 10:55am On Feb 02, 2010
selingel:

THOUSANDS of Lagosians, from the city centre and from the outskirts, all dressed in black – and carrying placards and banners – marched on the streets on Monday to express support for Governor Babatunde Fashola, who is under threat of impeachment by the state House of Assembly.
He faces allegations of financial misappropriation, charges said to be trumped up by his adversaries, backed by former Governor Bola Tinubu.
The rally, which took off at Adebola House in Ikeja, comprised members of Coalition of Youths for Good Governance (CYGG), Movement for Good Governance (MGG), Lovers of Raji Fashola (LORAFASH).

Is this not a rented crowd? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Protesting Lagosians Pledge Support For Fashola, Nobody Can Stop Us - Speaker by selingel: 11:02am On Feb 02, 2010
selingel:

The groups made a first stop at the Assembly to register their displeasure with Speaker Adeyemi Ikuforiji, saying the legislators are not qualified to probe the allegations, since they are also accused of collecting N20 million each from Fashola.
Some of the placards read: “Don’t tamper with the Lord’s Chosen,” “Don’t destroy the gains of continuity,” “Eko o ni gba igba kugba (Lagos won’t accept rubbish),” “We shall not succumb to the orchestrated campaign of calumny,” “No controversy Speaker, Fashola is our man,” “We know who are Lagosians,” “Distraction causes destruction,” “House of Assembly, don’t distract our Governor.”
Speaking on behalf of the protesters, Abiodun Olugbenro, a Bishop, said the groups took to the streets to express their support for Fashola and his quest to change the face of the state.

Can there ever be a governor that will never dip his/her hands in the Public purse? Even the legislators, have they not shown that, the highest bidder takes it all? What is the business of a Bishop amongst an obvious paid protesters?
Re: Protesting Lagosians Pledge Support For Fashola, Nobody Can Stop Us - Speaker by selingel: 11:07am On Feb 02, 2010
selingel:

Fashola had earlier reiterated in television broadcast that there is no need for the rally, as there is no contest between himself and Tinubu.
He attributed the feud to the work of fifth columnists, adding that the press has been unfair to Tinubu, without who he (Fashola) would not have become Governor.
/quote]

Why are you still hiding the truth? Why not hit the nail on the head, and tell the whole world, who is behind this?.
Re: Protesting Lagosians Pledge Support For Fashola, Nobody Can Stop Us - Speaker by Otobroto(f): 12:06pm On Feb 02, 2010
That is what God-fatherism can cause a nation. Fashola entered into agreement with Tinubu, before Tinubu handed over power. Now Fashola is reneging on agreement. What more are we expecting!.
Re: Protesting Lagosians Pledge Support For Fashola, Nobody Can Stop Us - Speaker by lannre(m): 12:33pm On Feb 02, 2010
Part one scene one.
Re: Protesting Lagosians Pledge Support For Fashola, Nobody Can Stop Us - Speaker by Otobroto(f): 1:19pm On Feb 02, 2010
lannre:

Part one scene one.

There is so much to it, than meets the eyes. Fashola hastily agreed to some conditions, not minding what happened thereafter. Now, it is no longer realistic, and the God-father himself, wants his entitlement.
Re: Protesting Lagosians Pledge Support For Fashola, Nobody Can Stop Us - Speaker by Hardtalk: 2:47pm On Feb 02, 2010
Otobroto:

There is so much to it, than meets the eyes. Fashola hastily agreed to some conditions, not minding what happened thereafter. Now, it is no longer realistic, and the God-father himself, wants his entitlement.

Even if there is temporary truce, it will only be for the elections, I can assure here that, where there is breach in agreement, The-Dons, will come after his head again!.
Re: Protesting Lagosians Pledge Support For Fashola, Nobody Can Stop Us - Speaker by Enjoyment1(f): 6:41pm On Feb 02, 2010
Hardtalk:

Even if there is temporary truce, it will only be for the elections, I can assure here that, where there is breach in agreement, The-Dons, will come after his head again!.

The guy don pay tithe to Tinubu! cheesy cheesy
Re: Protesting Lagosians Pledge Support For Fashola, Nobody Can Stop Us - Speaker by manuch(m): 8:25pm On Feb 02, 2010
he has not settled the assembly members . as soon as ghana must go enters there no one go talk again
Re: Protesting Lagosians Pledge Support For Fashola, Nobody Can Stop Us - Speaker by Enjoyment1(f): 9:39pm On Feb 02, 2010
manuch:

he has not settled the assembly members . as soon as ghana must go enters there no one go talk again

It is now becoming obvious that Fashola no dey settle ground, dats why dem want kick am out!. Besides, it seems, all the goods and spoils are being enjoyed by Fashola alone, thats why people needs his head. He is not paying tax, to our modern day Adedibu of Lagos, so what do we expect?
Re: Protesting Lagosians Pledge Support For Fashola, Nobody Can Stop Us - Speaker by Oboma1(m): 11:18pm On Feb 02, 2010
manuch:

Ghana-must-go, must definitely change hands, before these subsides.
Re: Protesting Lagosians Pledge Support For Fashola, Nobody Can Stop Us - Speaker by Hardtalk: 11:17pm On Feb 03, 2010
Oboma1:

Ghana-must-go, must definitely change hands, before these subsides.

I think they have done that already!.

(1) (Reply)

Dedicated To Aisha2 / Obama Demands Information On Yar’adua’s Health / Bankole Stops Motion Against Acting President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.