Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,381 members, 7,819,390 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:25 PM

The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates (37964 Views)

441 First Class Graduates Take Oyo Teaching Service Test / What Do First Class Graduates Do Different From Other 2.1 Students? / See What These Two IMSU First Class Graduates Received At Their Induction. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jul 14, 2017
Really I'll love to be a thorough baked first class student.May God help me

2 Likes

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jul 14, 2017
fumiswtpusy:
Anyway you want to put it.to get first class no b beans.but in my second degree I am going for I must get it either by hook or crook

I don't get you , do you mean another B.Sc or a Master's ?
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by fumiswtpusy(f): 8:50pm On Jul 14, 2017
neoapocalypse:

I don't get you , do you mean another B.Sc or a Master's ?
Another bsc
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by anyebedgreat: 8:54pm On Jul 14, 2017
Say no to weed

2 Likes

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by fratermathy(m): 9:00pm On Jul 14, 2017
I disagree with you on the bribery part. No one can bribe his/her way to First Class. If it were possible, almost everyone in Nigeria would make a first class!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by marvelling(m): 9:07pm On Jul 14, 2017
debbie:
let me share my story...Back then in school,there was this girl who was always topping the class...its even surprising because it was one of the engineering courses.She was so keen in getting her grades and coming out with first class..well after the project defense she was summoned by the school senate to ascertain her level of understanding aside the academic grades.....it was a rude shock because she knew nothing else apart from engineering courses.Several questions were asked aside engineering and general life...she couldn't answer well.Her level of understanding about life was so so low.
Well she eventually left the university with her first class....only for me to hear that she spent over 2 years at home without a job.She couldn't fit into the society...she was so conscious of her grades that she didnt pay attention to other aspects of human living.
The last time i saw her in the east....i was not impressed and i felt so bad .

To my greatest surprised,the university didn't offer her any lecturing job as the usual case.
They didnt see qualities in her.

Bottom line....while going after academic pursuit....prepare for life after school and equip yourself to face the world beyond the walls of the higher institution.

I am sorry, but this is a tall tale angry grin

5 Likes

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by ofuonyebi: 9:07pm On Jul 14, 2017
You got it wrong jooo!

Majority of the first group are the sons and daughters of those who had gabagged the Nigerian wealth...

to give their children the "stolen brilliance"...

Majority of the second group are the children of the Nigerian masses who struggle on hard labour to

give their children good education..

Finally, you forgot we are in the third world country where fingers are NOT equal!

2 Likes

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by Nobody: 9:10pm On Jul 14, 2017
anyebedgreat:
I totally disagree with you especially on the half baked category.
First, nobody gets first class by sheer luck. First class no be beans. You must work your way to get it.
Secondly, you mentioned bribe and whatever. Who bribes to get first class? people that give bribe in school do so just to pass, or boost their cgpa at least. Even if you give such people first class, they won't accept it.
Futhermore, You should also know that people don't learn anything useful in most public universities (if you have tried to conduct experiment with equipment from 50 years ago, you will understand) . While students in private schools are taught in conducive environment, public university students are stressed out and made to suffer unneccesarily. In Nigeria, we believe that if it isn't difficult, its not of good quality. My point here is, private university students actually learn, while public university students try to pass. Saying first class graduates from private unis are not sound is wrong.
And then on the issue of cramming, those who don't do it are fewer than those who do it. Some people are just better at it and those who are better are not dull.
1000 likes. Nobody, I say absolutely NOBODY can get a First Class by sheer luck, bribing or cheating. You can make 2:1 using these strategies ,but not First Class.

As you said, and also same thing I tell people 'First Class no be beans'. Anybody who thinks otherwise has not gone through the university system.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jul 14, 2017
fatymore:
Uhm... What about those that are good in writing but not so good in public speaking... Speaks fluently but stage fright is a setback to their speaking... And are first class.. Are they also half baked?
are You In That Category? Then You Are In The Second Type Of First Class The OP Is Talking About.
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by KingDonaz(m): 9:19pm On Jul 14, 2017
MadKid:
I thought I was going to see something like this by Alpontif

There are first class people, and there are First class people. Real First Class Graduates have had Consistent A level results since there Kindergaten days. They are the ones that had A's throughout their primary and secondary education. They have A's in their WAEC and score between 290 and 380 in their jamb. In other words, Real First class people have academic brilliance in their Blood, and personality..and they usually, without too much effort make Outstanding---not borderline, first class in the University. These are the guys you see having 4.7-5.0...or in some rare cases..4.6.

The other First class guys are the ones who studied extremely very very very hard in the University, just to enter into that First class range, their O level, Secondary and Primary Education results is not usually stellar....and their First class CGPA usually rarely exceeds 4.5-4.59.

The previous First class guys are the True First class people with very high IQs....They rarely fail aptitude tests. The Second class of First class guys, have to be prepared for every test, else they fail it. They are the types that will always be looking for past questions on aptitude tests...which is basically a measure of Intelligence.

One way to know a Real first class guy from a swotter-First class is to ask any of them to teach you fourier transforms years after they have studied it last. Without blinking, a real first class guy will start teaching you IMMEDIATELY...the swotter first class guy, has to go and revise , before he can teach you.

That is how you know First class people, therefore if you are truly a first class material, you do not need to become Jesus Christ before you graduate as a top of the class First Class graduate.[
MadKid post=58462862:

There are first class people, and there are First class people. Real First Class Graduates have had Consistent A level results since there Kindergaten days. They are the ones that had A's throughout their primary and secondary education. They have A's in their WAEC and score between 290 and 380 in their jamb. In other words, Real First class people have academic brilliance in their Blood, and personality..and they usually, without too much effort make Outstanding---not borderline, first class in the University. These are the [quote author=MadKid post=58462862]I thought I was going to see something like this by Alpontif

There are first class people, and there are First class people. Real First Class Graduates have had Consistent A level results since there Kindergaten days. They are the ones that had A's throughout their primary and secondary education. They have A's in their WAEC and score between 290 and 380 in their jamb. In other words, Real First class people have academic brilliance in their Blood, and personality..and they usually, without too much effort make Outstanding---not borderline, first class in the University. These are the guys you see having 4.7-5.0...or in some rare cases..4.6.

The other First class guys are the ones who studied extremely very very very hard in the University, just to enter into that First class range, their O level, Secondary and Primary Education results is not usually stellar....and their First class CGPA usually rarely exceeds 4.5-4.59.

The previous First class guys are the True First class people with very high IQs....They rarely fail aptitude tests. The Second class of First class guys, have to be prepared for every test, else they fail it. They are the types that will always be looking for past questions on aptitude tests...which is basically a measure of Intelligence.

One way to know a Real first class guy from a swotter-First class is to ask any of them to teach you fourier transforms years after they have studied it last. Without blinking, a real first class guy will start teaching you IMMEDIATELY...the swotter first class guy, has to go and revise , before he can teach you.

That is how you know First class people, therefore if you are truly a first class material, you do not need to become Jesus Christ before you graduate as a top of the class First Class graduate.
guys you see having 4.7-5.0...or in some rare cases..4.6.

That is how you know First class people, therefore if you are truly a first class material, you do not need to become Jesus Christ before you graduate as a top of the class First Class graduate.
/quote]

Fourier Transforms?
You go wicked abeg.

1 Like

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by naijalander: 9:30pm On Jul 14, 2017
here we go again with the private schools bashing.
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by maklelemakukula(m): 9:32pm On Jul 14, 2017
Nah mu.mu dey worry dis op
Firstclass is firstclass
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by baum1: 9:42pm On Jul 14, 2017
MadKid:

Guy, I wanted to ask what are you saying, but that would be rude, not okay. I actually logged in because of you.

Contrary to what you believe, there are many non-straight A's students in high school and primary school that went ahead to become the best graduating students at their departments or entire school. I have worked with so many people on Nairaland, I've seen many things, personal experience and from the younger generation..Your first sentence will hardly fit real life data if you put it to test. There are very many above average students at primary/secondary school who went on to achieve GPA's in the neighbourhood of what you termed real first class. On the contrary, there are excellent students at primary/secondary level who went on to make a weak first class, 2:1 or even lower. Your point connotes that those making top, top GPA at uni were the excellent ones in high school. Data doesn't support this. You cannot draw the conclusion you're trying to draw. I've seen so much to accept such conclusion..Perhapsthis post of mine will help you motivate the above average high school students you know that they can be excellent at university and get the best grades...

So, average/below average/above average high school students, don't think you can't come tops in your class at university level. Perhaps you were average in high school because you studied wrongly or didn't have the academic guidance that the more privileged ones had. Many students attended secondary schools where all they do is write notes written on the board and many of these students hardly did problem solving sessions, e.g past questions, exercises etc. They were not exposed enough and tried to read and read what the teacher wrote on the board for them to copy. Of course, such students would hardly achieve the grades that befit their academic gifts, even if they are seriously gifted academically..But such students get to the university and it's another ball game entirely. Some of them were even more gifted than their highly performing age mates in other high schools but didn't have the same exposure....I remember in those days in unilag when some brough 8 A1 during registration, lol. We were dodging our own occasional A, more B's and C's...4 years later, another story was told.

9 Likes

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by kabaka1: 9:45pm On Jul 14, 2017
TheManofTomorrow:
Being first class doesn't mean u re able to apply ur knowledge to real life situations.

u're damn right. how many first people wry u see to start a reputable company or made an invention or created something like Facebook or Snapchat that will put Naija on world map. most of first classes all dem be na follow follow people wey go work 4 other people and collect a bigger cheque than others
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by Johnnyoungster(m): 9:45pm On Jul 14, 2017
Lolz... Nigeria's problem is school..
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by DrayZee: 9:47pm On Jul 14, 2017
SplendidE:
met so many poorly baked first class graduates in camp.
they are quick to tell u their grade n complain abt little things ranging from PPA,food n other stuffs
some schooled outside d country while some schooled in private unis.
What made you feel they were "poorly baked"?

See how your comment has been made directly against private university graduates. Why don't you like them?
What did they do to you?
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by PhilipGallagher(m): 9:47pm On Jul 14, 2017
MadKid:

Very Wrong.
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by baum1: 9:53pm On Jul 14, 2017
PhilipGallagher:

Very Wrong.

Perhaps he is generalizing based on his small sample count..Hopefully, he can see other perspectives and update his views if he is someone that cares to see things from many views..
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by baum1: 9:56pm On Jul 14, 2017
TechEnthusiast:
Really I'll love to be a thorough baked first class student.May God help me

Guy, focus on that first class and get it. All other self-development shouldn't affect it and honestly can be achieved later. I do not believe someone will get a first class and not be bright. I haven't seen, though I agree that one first class student might be brighter than the other..

There're still many benefits from a first class GPA..

2 Likes

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by Donpizzle(m): 9:59pm On Jul 14, 2017
fergusen:
From extensive research, I discovered there are two broad categories of First Class students.

The thoroughly baked First Class: students in this category are thoroughbred. They've waded through the rigours of the academics masterfully.

They earned their First Class the right way- no use of 'orijo', giving of bribe, or compromising the system. They've undergone countless hours of personal research and study.
They attended institutions reputed for high standards.

They can also apply their knowledge to solve real human problems. All of these attributes put together, and more, have earned them a place at the top.

They can sit, dine and converse with graduates of similar discipline as theirs anywhere in the world.

The poorly baked First Class. No doubt, they are bright. However, many in this category got their First Class by any of the following: sheer luck, schooling in institutions with poor standards (many private universities are culpable here) undecided, use of 'orijo', giving of bribes, advanced cramming, garbage in garbage out and cheating the system.
Many students in this category have glaring moral failings.
They also will have difficulties defending their grade when called into question.
They are the reason why First Class degree has received a lot of bashing from poor students who often claim they can outperform First Class students in professional career responsibilities.

Thoroughbred students with second class upper are well ahead of these group of individuals when it comes to intellectual work.

Copyrights Naijacgpa..com

This has flawed your write-up. Nobody makes above 4.5 consistently over a period of 4 years by luck undecided

3 Likes

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by pterson(m): 10:00pm On Jul 14, 2017
baum1:

Perhaps he is generalizing based on his small sample count..Hopefully, he can see other perspectives and update his views if he is someone that cares to see things from many views..
Are you a statistician?
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by Jarus(m): 10:02pm On Jul 14, 2017
fergusen:

The poorly baked First Class. No doubt, they are bright. However, many in this category got their First Class by any of the following: sheer luck, schooling in institutions with poor standards (many private universities are culpable here) undecided, use of 'orijo', giving of bribes, advanced cramming, garbage in garbage out and cheating the system.
They also will have difficulties defending their grade when called into question.
They are the reason why First Class degree has received a lot of bashing from poor students who often claim they can outperform First Class students in professional career responsibilities.

Thoroughbred students with second class upper are well ahead of these group of individuals when it comes to intellectual work.

Sheer luck? He took at least 40 courses from year 1 -4 (or 5), taught by different lecturers (at least 15 lecturers). And it was luck, not his ability, that made him scale through all these abi?

Cramming? He beat others in cramming, what tells you he wont beat them in other aspects of life?

Bribes? Wow, bribed all (or at least half of the) over 20 lecturers that taught him from year 1 to 4? Interesting

Orijo? He must be very smart to have survived without being caught for 4 years.

What else did you say?

This is not to say some First Class students do not have defects (e.g poor communication skills, narrow knowledge) but it is uncharitable to discount some people's efforts, especially when motivated by bad belle.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by teee2: 10:05pm On Jul 14, 2017
MadKid:

MadKid:

I don't totally agree with this post. There are also people who have had A's since primary school all through secondary school but didn't graduate with first class.
There's nothing wrong in an average or below average student reading very hard to get a first class.. examination provides a level playing field for brilliant and dull students to prove there worth.

it'll be very rare to see someone who graduated with a first class in his field forget things he learnt as an undergraduate, he'll at least have ideas about it. first class no be beans abeg. nobody bribes his/her to make first class. even 4.5 isn't easy, it implies very few C's and many A's.

first class people are first class materials. it requires a whole lot of dedication.. we aren't talking of second class upper (which also requires dedication).

So Sir.. First class isn't and shouldn't be exclusively reserved for those with high IQ..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by baum1: 10:06pm On Jul 14, 2017
PhilipGallagher:

Very Wrong.

Let me tell a story...People, listen!! I hope I am not outed, but I just want to motivate somebody today.

There's this guy that graduated after me. He had the best GPA in the history of my department and currently host the best GPA in the entire school...Oh, okay, that 5.00 GPA guy now has the record, I remember..But this guy in question had 4.98..

Some months ago, I was speaking to his former class rep and he told me that the guy was neither on the first or the second UME list for admission. When they were already receiving lectures and feeling fly, the guy would soberly come into the class and would ask him when the final supplementary list would be released. He kept on coming, he kept on asking. As God, the Mighty One, would have it, this guy's name came out on the very last list. He was among the last few people to be admitted. The more brilliant ones, according to the previous poster, had been admitted way, way before him...Anyway, the courses and exams started and this guy, throughout his stay at the university, got only one B..As I write now, he is preparing for his graduation from one of Harvard/MIT, don't want to be too specific. He'll be earning a PhD. And you know what that means in terms of prospects, both in research and the private sector...The same person that was lucky to be admitted into his undergraduate department..

So people, forget any story telling you that your high school determines something. In some cases yes, but you cannot base your hustle on that. Work work work. Hussle Hussle Hussle. Do your best. God still crowns efforts. See, I have many of such stories, but this one is important to share..

Good luck

Meanwhile, I still work with people who had a first class BSC GPA and would like to study abroad. If you meet this requirement, be in touch. It could be you. Many have positive stories to tell here on nairaland. To God be the Glory

4 Likes

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by Jarus(m): 10:07pm On Jul 14, 2017
baum1:

Guy, focus on that first class and get it. All other self-development shouldn't affect it and honestly can be achieved later. I do not believe someone will get a first class and not be bright. I haven't seen, though I agree that one first class student might be brighter than the other..

There're still many benefits from a first class GPA..

Gbam!

I haven't seen one either. Yes, I have seen one or two with communication defects, but doesn't really take away the fact they are good at what they studied. They made first class in their discipline, not in communication (although it is a very important skill to have).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by Edowitch: 10:08pm On Jul 14, 2017
MadKid:

Brilliant post
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by baum1: 10:09pm On Jul 14, 2017
pterson:
Are you a statistician?

Used to be. Nowadays, I am afraid to say I read it because I honestly don't know much there again. But yes, I once studied statistics..Many years ago, lol
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by Edowitch: 10:09pm On Jul 14, 2017
debbie:
let me share my story...Back then in school,there was this girl who was always topping the class...its even surprising because it was one of the engineering courses.She was so keen in getting her grades and coming out with first class..well after the project defense she was summoned by the school senate to ascertain her level of understanding aside the academic grades.....it was a rude shock because she knew nothing else apart from engineering courses.Several questions were asked aside engineering and general life...she couldn't answer well.Her level of understanding about life was so so low.
Well she eventually left the university with her first class....only for me to hear that she spent over 2 years at home without a job.She couldn't fit into the society...she was so conscious of her grades that she didnt pay attention to other aspects of human living.

To my greatest surprised,the university didn't offer her any lecturing job as the usual case.

Bottom line....while going after academic pursuit....prepare for life after school and equip yourself to face the world beyond the walls of the higher institution.
Correct
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by baum1: 10:14pm On Jul 14, 2017
debbie:

People happily mouth stories like this. I wonder what concerns studying engineering with general life. If it was by that, people like us won't go anywhere.

If this is true, I challenge you to introduce that girl to me. This is an open challenge. By God's grace, her story will change after some time.

Go ahead, contact people that know someone that knows her and show her this post. This is a challenge and I expect you're up to it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by Nobody: 10:16pm On Jul 14, 2017
Op you forgot the thoughrouly baked first class tip-lorry graduates.

These ones are smart on paper and are unable to use the info practically. Like a gabbage truck/tip-lorry, the collect to discard. Check their scripts and you will find a dublicate of the textbook.

For some readon though, they are extremely smart in calculations. I dont know
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by Nobody: 10:18pm On Jul 14, 2017
fergusen:
From extensive research, I discovered there are two broad categories of First Class students.

The thoroughly baked First Class: students in this category are thoroughbred. They've waded through the rigours of the academics masterfully.

They earned their First Class the right way- no use of 'orijo', giving of bribe, or compromising the system. They've undergone countless hours of personal research and study.
They attended institutions reputed for high standards.

They can also apply their knowledge to solve real human problems. All of these attributes put together, and more, have earned them a place at the top.

They can sit, dine and converse with graduates of similar discipline as theirs anywhere in the world.

Bros this is a Stup1d article.
There are no types of 1st class graduates and luck doesn't help a student to offer 60 courses, score 40 As and 20 Bs.

Ur blog will die if u keep playing this kind of empty n S1lly articles.

2 Likes

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by baum1: 10:20pm On Jul 14, 2017
DrayZee:

What made you feel they were "poorly baked"?

See how your comment has been made directly against private university graduates. Why don't you like them?
What did they do to you?

Guy, in my experience, what I've noticed is that many people, especially the non-first class, try to make the first class people 'prove themselves' to them, as if this was the reason why they got a first..When the first class people are humble enough to not fall for such childish challenge, they label them as half-baked. Lol

The same way one girl initially looked down on my morgan stanley friend because this guy is too humble and will never prove anything despite him having attained the highest level of educational achievement.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Babcock, Covenant Univeristy Accounting Graduates To Write Only 5 Papers In ICAN / WAEC Result 2019 Statistics: Females Outshine Males / 5 Foods Undergraduates Eat When They Are Broke

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.