Stats: 3,154,066 members, 7,821,669 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:33 PM

The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates (37970 Views)

441 First Class Graduates Take Oyo Teaching Service Test / What Do First Class Graduates Do Different From Other 2.1 Students? / See What These Two IMSU First Class Graduates Received At Their Induction. (2) (3) (4)

The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by fergusen: 1:34pm On Jul 13, 2017
From extensive research, I discovered there are two broad categories of First Class students.

The thoroughly baked First Class: students in this category are thoroughbred. They've waded through the rigours of the academics masterfully.

They earned their First Class the right way- no use of 'orijo', giving of bribe, or compromising the system. They've undergone countless hours of personal research and study.
They attended institutions reputed for high standards.

They can also apply their knowledge to solve real human problems. All of these attributes put together, and more, have earned them a place at the top.

They can sit, dine and converse with graduates of similar discipline as theirs anywhere in the world.

The poorly baked First Class. No doubt, they are bright. However, many in this category got their First Class by any of the following: sheer luck, schooling in institutions with poor standards (many private universities are culpable here) undecided, use of 'orijo', giving of bribes, advanced cramming, garbage in garbage out and cheating the system.
Many students in this category have glaring moral failings.
They also will have difficulties defending their grade when called into question.
They are the reason why First Class degree has received a lot of bashing from poor students who often claim they can outperform First Class students in professional career responsibilities.

Thoroughbred students with second class upper are well ahead of these group of individuals when it comes to intellectual work.

Copyrights Naijacgpa..com

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by fergusen: 1:37pm On Jul 13, 2017
Lalasticlala what's your take grin
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by tobillionaire(m): 2:04pm On Jul 13, 2017
Dis made me shine ma gworo teeth grin

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jul 13, 2017
kiss
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by TheManofTomorrow(m): 6:35pm On Jul 13, 2017
Being first class doesn't mean u re able to apply ur knowledge to real life situations.

38 Likes

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by Desyner: 8:08pm On Jul 13, 2017
fergusen:
From extensive research, I discovered there are two broad categories of First Class students.

The poorly baked First Class. No doubt, they are bright. However, many in this category got their First Class by any of the following: sheer luck, schooling in institutions with poor standards (many private universities are culpable here) undecided, use of 'orijo', giving of bribes, advanced cramming, garbage in garbage out and cheating the system.
you made sense until you tried turning the table around to favour public uni grads who are mostly guilty of the bold part.
Are you telling me covenant allows bribing, cheating, phones, blackmail to pass 50% of workload? That sounds like uniben, unilag, or lautech.
As a matter of fact the average public uni grad has about 6 years to study 4years course (lesser workload) unlike private uni.

30 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by fergusen: 8:21pm On Jul 13, 2017
TheManofTomorrow:
Being first class doesn't mean u re able to apply ur knowledge to real life situations.

Seriously undecided I believe thoroughbred graduates, particularly those in STEM, should be able to put to practice what has been learnt.
What is the use of a First Class degree or any other degree when all you know is theory? How about knowing how they (theories) work in reality?

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by fergusen: 8:35pm On Jul 13, 2017
Desyner:

you made sense until you tried turning the table around to favour public grad who are mostly guilty of the bold part.
Are you telling me covenant allows bribing, cheating, phones, blackmail to pass 50% of workload? That sounds like uniben, unilag, or lautech.
As a matter of fact the average public uni grad has about 6 years to study 4years course (lesser workload) unlike private uni.

Corrupt tendencies happen in both private and public institutions.
Lets be realistic here. It is easier to get a flawed First Class degree from a private university than a public one. What you get at best in a public University (when you compromise the system) is a second class upper in most cases.
Also, I didn't insinuate that all private universities are culpable. So the issue of you citing CU is unnecessary.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by modextus(m): 8:39pm On Jul 13, 2017
Come to the North and see crammers... You'll be amazed. Most can't even read what they write properly.

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by Desyner: 8:48pm On Jul 13, 2017
fergusen:

Corrupt tendencies happen in both private and public institutions.
Lets be realistic here. It is easier to get a flawed First Class degree from a private university than a public one. What you get at best in a public University (when you compromise the system) is a second class upper in most cases.
Also, I didn't insinuate that all private universities are culpable. So the issue of you citing CU is unnecessary.

Stop it. Private school get regulated by mostly public uni grads from the NUC. If the standard is low let them act on it.

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by fatymore(f): 9:29pm On Jul 13, 2017
Uhm... What about those that are good in writing but not so good in public speaking... Speaks fluently but stage fright is a setback to their speaking... And are first class.. Are they also half baked?

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by fergusen: 9:31pm On Jul 13, 2017
modextus:
Come to the North and see crammers... You'll amazed. Most can't even read what they write properly.
shocked cry
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by fergusen: 9:50pm On Jul 13, 2017
fatymore:
Uhm... What about those that are good in writing but not so good in public speaking... Speaks fluently but stage fright is a setback to their speaking... And are first class.. Are they also half baked?
This can easily be fixed. It doesn't diminish your intellect, but might/will give a wrong impression... If such a person read/studied a course that would require extensive communication (journalism, education, mass communication, etc), it is expected that the student should have become accustomed to public speaking (because you would have been involved in several practicals).
Of what benefit is a graduate of education who has a sound knowledge of teaching approaches and comportment required of a teacher but can't put that to practice in the class?
That can be categorised as being half-baked...

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by fumiswtpusy(f): 12:12am On Jul 14, 2017
Anyway you want to put it.to get first class no b beans.but in my second degree I am going for I must get it either by hook or crook

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by Nobody: 3:53am On Jul 14, 2017
Desyner:

you made sense until you tried turning the table around to favour public grad who are mostly guilty of the bold part.
Which one is advanced cramming. Dem try abeg
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by fergusen: 6:29am On Jul 14, 2017
fumiswtpusy:
Anyway you want to put it.to get first class no b beans.but in my second degree I am going for I must get it either by hook or crook
grin Don't struggle to get a First Class degree. Seek to get a First Class intellect instead. That's better. With that, you become useful to yourself and the society.

15 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by fergusen: 9:15am On Jul 14, 2017
Desyner:

Stop it. Private school get regulated by mostly public uni grads from the NUC. If the standard is low let them act on it.
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by fergusen: 5:50pm On Jul 14, 2017
Lalasticlala carry this thread enter front-page abeg
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by veekid(m): 8:28pm On Jul 14, 2017

nothing wey u no go read on NL

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by anyebedgreat: 8:28pm On Jul 14, 2017
I totally disagree with you especially on the half baked category.
First, nobody gets first class by sheer luck. First class no be beans. You must work your way to get it.
Secondly, you mentioned bribe and whatever. Who bribes to get first class? people that give bribe in school do so just to pass, or boost their cgpa at least. Even if you give such people first class, they won't accept it.
Futhermore, You should also know that people don't learn anything useful in most public universities (if you have tried to conduct experiment with equipment from 50 years ago, you will understand) . While students in private schools are taught in conducive environment, public university students are stressed out and made to suffer unneccesarily. In Nigeria, we believe that if it isn't difficult, its not of good quality. My point here is, private university students actually learn, while public university students try to pass. Saying first class graduates from private unis are not sound is wrong.
And then on the issue of cramming, those who don't do it are fewer than those who do it. Some people are just better at it and those who are better are not dull.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by muller101(m): 8:29pm On Jul 14, 2017
Op give us examples. We need names
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by kolafolabi(m): 8:29pm On Jul 14, 2017
First class na first class abeg

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by FTbomb(m): 8:29pm On Jul 14, 2017
i really want to say something very important on this thread. in fact, what i'm about to say is so invaluable that a lot of students and aspiring leaders will benefit from it. but before i do, i want to know lalasticlala's opinion on the op.

waiting.

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by talk2rotman(m): 8:30pm On Jul 14, 2017
isokay
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by Narldon: 8:32pm On Jul 14, 2017
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by Nobody: 8:33pm On Jul 14, 2017
does this make any sense to u. the op and the mod are mad
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by Shammak(m): 8:34pm On Jul 14, 2017
Op,

Next time, seek my consent before you upload my picture. Gracia

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by SplendidE(f): 8:44pm On Jul 14, 2017
met so many poorly baked first class graduates in camp.
they are quick to tell u their grade n complain abt little things ranging from PPA,food n other stuffs
some schooled outside d country while some schooled in private unis.

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by Nobody: 8:45pm On Jul 14, 2017
I thought I was going to see something like this by Alpontif

"There are first class people, and there are First class people. Real First Class Graduates have had Consistent A level results since there Kindergaten days. They are the ones that had A's throughout their primary and secondary education. They have A's in their WAEC and score between 290 and 380 in their jamb. In other words, Real First class people have academic brilliance in their Blood, and personality..and they usually, without too much effort make Outstanding---not borderline, first class in the University. These are the guys you see having 4.7-5.0...or in some rare cases..4.6.

The other First class guys are the ones who studied extremely very very very hard in the University, just to enter into that First class range, their O level, Secondary and Primary Education results is not usually stellar....and their First class CGPA usually rarely exceeds 4.5-4.59.

The previous First class guys are the True First class people with very high IQs....They rarely fail aptitude tests. The Second class of First class guys, have to be prepared for every test, else they fail it. They are the types that will always be looking for past questions on aptitude tests...which is basically a measure of Intelligence.

One way to know a Real first class guy from a swotter-First class is to ask any of them to teach you fourier transforms years after they have studied it last. Without blinking, a real first class guy will start teaching you IMMEDIATELY...the swotter first class guy, has to go and revise , before he can teach you.

That is how you know First class people, therefore if you are truly a first class material, you do not need to become Jesus Christ before you graduate as a top of the class First Class graduate."

32 Likes

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by piagetskinner(m): 8:46pm On Jul 14, 2017
don't just be a first class student

aim at being a first class individual

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by debbie(f): 8:46pm On Jul 14, 2017
let me share my story...Back then in school,there was this girl who was always topping the class...its even surprising because it was one of the engineering courses.She was so keen in getting her grades and coming out with first class..well after the project defense she was summoned by the school senate to ascertain her level of understanding aside the academic grades.....it was a rude shock because she knew nothing else apart from engineering courses.Several questions were asked aside engineering and general life...she couldn't answer well.Her level of understanding about life was so so low.
Well she eventually left the university with her first class....only for me to hear that she spent over 2 years at home without a job.She couldn't fit into the society...she was so conscious of her grades that she didnt pay attention to other aspects of human living.
The last time i saw her in the east....i was not impressed and i felt so bad .

To my greatest surprised,the university didn't offer her any lecturing job as the usual case.
They didnt see qualities in her.

Bottom line....while going after academic pursuit....prepare for life after school and equip yourself to face the world beyond the walls of the higher institution.

31 Likes 3 Shares

17-year-old Ojo Jonathan Becomes Youngest Chartered Accountant In Nigeria / 5 Foods Undergraduates Eat When They Are Broke / Abdulkadir Islamiyat Oluwatoyin, Best Graduating Doctor/Student In IUA, Sudan