Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:09 AM

The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates (37959 Views)

441 First Class Graduates Take Oyo Teaching Service Test / What Do First Class Graduates Do Different From Other 2.1 Students? / See What These Two IMSU First Class Graduates Received At Their Induction. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by Damsman10(m): 7:22am On Jul 15, 2017
Desyner:

you made sense until you tried turning the table around to favour public uni grads who are mostly guilty of the bold part.
Are you telling me covenant allows bribing, cheating, phones, blackmail to pass 50% of workload? That sounds like uniben, unilag, or lautech.
As a matter of fact the average public uni grad has about 6 years to study 4years course (lesser workload) unlike private uni.
don't mind Op
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by Nwanna2588: 7:37am On Jul 15, 2017
anyebedgreat:
I totally disagree with you especially on the half baked category.
First, nobody gets first class by sheer luck. First class no be beans. You must work your way to get it.
Secondly, you mentioned bribe and whatever. Who bribes to get first class? people that give bribe in school do so just to pass, or boost their cgpa at least. Even if you give such people first class, they won't accept it.
Futhermore, You should also know that people don't learn anything useful in most public universities (if you have tried to conduct experiment with equipment from 50 years ago, you will understand) . While students in private schools are taught in conducive environment, public university students are stressed out and made to suffer unneccesarily. In Nigeria, we believe that if it isn't difficult, its not of good quality. My point here is, private university students actually learn, while public university students try to pass. Saying first class graduates from private unis are not sound is wrong.
And then on the issue of cramming, those who don't do it are fewer than those who do it. Some people are just better at it and those who are better are not dull.

I agree with the poster in that of first class graduate from private universities. Some of them are what the poster says.

1 Like

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by Acecube(m): 7:40am On Jul 15, 2017
AreaFada2:

This point is very valid.
That is why in the West, Schools of medicine, dentistry, etc interview each candidate long-listed for possible admission. A massive job but deemed imperative.

Surprisingly, very little is asked about academic ability. You will have proven that stellar grades already. And they have it on record.
They focus on your personality, interpersonal skills, life experience, hobbies, knowledge of foreign languages, record of involvement in charitable, volunteer or community service. Better still if have been in a care home or hospital environment or the sick or homeless people of some kind.

Basically trying to recruit people who are more rounded instead of just bookworms only. It enables candidates prepared for the profession to be admitted, not just those pushed by parents or who just have top grades without passion for it.

This can be a big ask if people interviewed are under age 20.

This increasing focus on matters in addition to academic brilliance has seen the age of medical students increase dramatically. With many now holding MSc or PhD before returning to study medicine.
People study medicine after PhD? I'm a graduate of Bsc Anatomy and I which to further by going back for Medicine... I guess I can still make it
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by Caseless: 8:14am On Jul 15, 2017
The thoroughbred are the ones produced in my school.
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by sunnyeinstein(m): 8:20am On Jul 15, 2017
fergusen:

Seriously undecided I believe thoroughbred graduates, particularly those in STEM, should be able to put to practice what has been learnt.
What is the use of a First Class degree or any other degree when all you know is theory? How about knowing how they (theories) work in reality?

I'm not a 1st class grad oo (strong 2-1) and i've always wanted to be a researcher (i am now) and with every proper "practicalization" of d theories i learned (and still learning) joy fills my heart. Truly, there's no use being a graduate in any field if you can't apply it. I frown at such people, and detest them if they dont want to learn the application.

1 Like

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by sunnyeinstein(m): 8:21am On Jul 15, 2017
Caseless:
The thoroughbred are the ones produced in my school.

They can come from any school so pls reduce ur noise
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by sunnyeinstein(m): 8:23am On Jul 15, 2017
Nwanna2588:

I agree with the poster in that of first class graduate from private universities. Some of them are what the poster says.

The trend is changing nowadays. I went to oyedepo's university @ota to use rotavap in dia xtry dept and wat d lectrer was teaching a class is wat dey wont even teach in msc class, lecturers would jus summarize it and tell u to go on internet and read more
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by AlphaT1(m): 8:47am On Jul 15, 2017
MadKid:
I thought I was going to see something like this by Alpontif

"There are first class people, and there are First class people. Real First Class Graduates have had Consistent A level results since there Kindergaten days. They are the ones that had A's throughout their primary and secondary education. They have A's in their WAEC and score between 290 and 380 in their jamb. In other words, Real First class people have academic brilliance in their Blood, and personality..and they usually, without too much effort make Outstanding---not borderline, first class in the University. These are the guys you see having 4.7-5.0...or in some rare cases..4.6.

The other First class guys are the ones who studied extremely very very very hard in the University, just to enter into that First class range, their O level, Secondary and Primary Education results is not usually stellar....and their First class CGPA usually rarely exceeds 4.5-4.59.

The previous First class guys are the True First class people with very high IQs....They rarely fail aptitude tests. The Second class of First class guys, have to be prepared for every test, else they fail it. They are the types that will always be looking for past questions on aptitude tests...which is basically a measure of Intelligence.

One way to know a Real first class guy from a swotter-First class is to ask any of them to teach you fourier transforms years after they have studied it last. Without blinking, a real first class guy will start teaching you IMMEDIATELY...the swotter first class guy, has to go and revise , before he can teach you.

That is how you know First class people, therefore if you are truly a first class material, you do not need to become Jesus Christ before you graduate as a top of the class First Class graduate."

Your assertions may not be completely true. I started well in 100L (CGPA of 4.7) but crashed to 4.1 in 200L due to a very terrible and traumatic experience ; I was coming from the hospital to write exams. And altogether, from 300L to 500L (6 semesters) I had about three 5 points, only one C and about 7 Bs, my CGPA climbed gradually to 4.56.
So according to your theory above, I am not a true first lass candidate. Well, I went to Unilag for MSc and got a 4.8 CGPA (top of the class) and was given an academic position which I did for a few months and left to USA for another M.S and got 4/4... Two of my course mates in Unilag also came with first class results (4.72 and 4.89) but at the end of the programme, only one got 4.58 (d one with 4.89), d other one got 4.38.
In a nutshell, CGPA is not a true measure of which first class is true or not nor who has a better IQ.
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by sunnyeinstein(m): 9:18am On Jul 15, 2017
baum1:

If you wish to carry the discussion further, define theory.

Meanwhile, that expatriates work in a country does not mean the higher level education in that country is crap. There're many reasons why firms bring in foreigners to work domestically and this cannot be used to gauge the standard of education in a country..

But their average position in our firms can be used as a yardstick for how much employers trust our graduates with similar qualification(s)
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by Basic123: 9:20am On Jul 15, 2017
MadKid:

"There are first class people, and there are First class people. Real First Class Graduates have had Consistent A level results since there Kindergaten days. They are the ones that had A's throughout their primary and secondary education. They have A's in their WAEC and score between 290 and 380 in their jamb. In other words, Real First class people have academic brilliance in their Blood, and personality..and they usually, without too much effort make Outstanding---not borderline, first class in the University. These are the guys you see having 4.7-5.0...or in some rare cases..4.6.

The other First class guys are the ones who studied extremely very very very hard in the University, just to enter into that First class range, their O level, Secondary and Primary Education results is not usually stellar....and their First class CGPA usually rarely exceeds 4.5-4.59.

The previous First class guys are the True First class people with very high IQs....They rarely fail aptitude tests. The Second class of First class guys, have to be prepared for every test, else they fail it. They are the types that will always be looking for past questions on aptitude tests...which is basically a measure of Intelligence.

One way to know a Real first class guy from a swotter-First class is to ask any of them to teach you fourier transforms years after they have studied it last. Without blinking, a real first class guy will start teaching you IMMEDIATELY...the swotter first class guy, has to go and revise , before he can teach you.

That is how you know First class people, therefore if you are truly a first class material, you do not need to become Jesus Christ before you graduate as a top of the class First Class graduate."

I agree totally with this,provided that all other things are equal.
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by sunnyeinstein(m): 9:31am On Jul 15, 2017
MadKid:

I enjoyed ur submission, but i'd like to make an ammendment to d side i bolded, as per learning and teaching at any time.
Now learning brings about knowledge, and being able to re-explain any particular topic/subject at any time means such individual as acquired that knowledge.
However, there is difference between that and application:- which is the use of that acquired knowledge to solve real-time or real-life problem/challenges in that field an individual has acquired his/her knowledge.
Let me use d fourier transform infrered spec (ftir). What if that individual sees an ftir spec reading of a compound and cannot differentiate between d different functional shift plotted on dat graph sheet? Now that's the difference between teaching and application!
Thank you

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by fatymore(f): 10:05am On Jul 15, 2017
dayo2me:
are You In That Category? Then You Are In The Second Type Of First Class The OP Is Talking About.
lols...
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by everydayboy: 10:22am On Jul 15, 2017
baum1:

Let me tell a story...People, listen!! I hope I am not outed, but I just want to motivate somebody today.

There's this guy that graduated after me. He had the best GPA in the history of my department and currently host the best GPA in the entire school...Oh, okay, that 5.00 GPA guy now has the record, I remember..But this guy in question had 4.98..

Some months ago, I was speaking to his former class rep and he told me that the guy was neither on the first or the second UME list for admission. When they were already receiving lectures and feeling fly, the guy would soberly come into the class and would ask him when the final supplementary list would be released. He kept on coming, he kept on asking. As God, the Mighty One, would have it, this guy's name came out on the very last list. He was among the last few people to be admitted. The more brilliant ones, according to the previous poster, had been admitted way, way before him...Anyway, the courses and exams started and this guy, throughout his stay at the university, got only one B..As I write now, he is preparing for his graduation from one of Harvard/MIT, don't want to be too specific. He'll be earning a PhD. And you know what that means in terms of prospects, both in research and the private sector...The same person that was lucky to be admitted into his undergraduate department..

So people, forget any story telling you that your high school determines something. In some cases yes, but you cannot base your hustle on that. Work work work. Hussle Hussle Hussle. Do your best. God still crowns efforts. See, I have many of such stories, but this one is important to share..

Good luck

Meanwhile, I still work with people who had a first class BSC GPA and would like to study abroad. If you meet this requirement, be in touch. It could be you. Many have positive stories to tell here on nairaland. To God be the Glory

Hi Brother,
I had first class and will like to study abroad ooo. I tried to send a DM but nairaland was telling me I have sent too many anonymous messages while logged in. Please, if you can send a DM to me or drop your contact; I will appreciate it.

Thank you.
Warm Regards

*I came to read through the comments. I have no words for the OP.*
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by TheManofTomorrow(m): 10:56am On Jul 15, 2017
fergusen:

Seriously undecided I believe thoroughbred graduates, particularly those in STEM, should be able to put to practice what has been learnt.
What is the use of a First Class degree or any other degree when all you know is theory? How about knowing how they (theories) work in reality?
I am not disputing your point but how do they Lear that when most university lay too much emphasis on theories.
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by TheManofTomorrow(m): 10:56am On Jul 15, 2017
fergusen:

I am not disputing your point but how do they Learn that when most university lay too much emphasis on theories.
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by Ichietome: 10:59am On Jul 15, 2017
MadKid:

Wrong. Totally wrong and misleading
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by naijalander: 11:16am On Jul 15, 2017
so you believe education should be made hard for people ?

This is the exact type of mentality killing Nigeria, education is not meant to be hard, it is meant to be straight forward

Nwanna2588:

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by AreaFada2: 11:18am On Jul 15, 2017
Acecube:
People study medicine after PhD? I'm a graduate of Bsc Anatomy and I which to further by going back for Medicine... I guess I can still make it
In some UK universities, around 10% of medical students already have a PhD. In all around 60% already have anything from BSc to PhD before reading medicine. Many fresh ones will take a break of one year within medical studies to do what is called an " intercalated BSc".

Only in 9ja/Africa does a former senator feels too big to become an LGA chairman, a former VP feels to big to become a state governor. We feel to big for certain things.

If you are passionate, you can of course do it.
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by Nobody: 11:43am On Jul 15, 2017
AlphaT1:

Your assertions may not be completely true. I started well in 100L (CGPA of 4.7) but crashed to 4.1 in 200L due to a very terrible and traumatic experience ; I was coming from the hospital to write exams. And altogether, from 300L to 500L (6 semesters) I had about three 5 points, only one C and about 7 Bs, my CGPA climbed gradually to 4.52.
So according to your theory above, I am not a true first lass candidate. Well, I went to Unilag for MSc and got a 4.8 CGPA (top of the class) and was given an academic position which I did for a few months and left to USA for another M.S and got 4/4... Two of my course mates in Unilag also came with first class results (4.72 and 4.89) but at the end of the programme, only one got 4.56 (d one with 4.89), d other one got 4.38.
In a nutshell, CGPA is not a true measure of which first class is true or not nor who has a better IQ.
I should have added "all things being equal."

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by Basic123: 12:09pm On Jul 15, 2017
MadKid:
I should have added "all things being equal."
seriously,I like you for that.

If a discussion or argument is not scientific,people will continue arguing till the end of time!
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by Acecube(m): 1:32pm On Jul 15, 2017
AreaFada2:

In some UK universities, around 10% of medical students already have a PhD. In all around 60% already have anything from BSc to PhD before reading medicine. Many fresh ones will take a break of one year within medical studies to do what is called an " intercalated BSc".

Only in 9ja/Africa does a former senator feels too big to become an LGA chairman, a former VP feels to big to become a state governor. We feel to big for certain things.

If you are passionate, you can of course do it.
thanks I really appreciate.
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by monex(m): 1:50pm On Jul 15, 2017
Desyner:

you made sense until you tried turning the table around to favour public uni grads who are mostly guilty of the bold part.
Are you telling me covenant allows bribing, cheating, phones, blackmail to pass 50% of workload? That sounds like uniben, unilag, or lautech.
As a matter of fact the average public uni grad has about 6 years to study 4years course (lesser workload) unlike private uni.
trust me when I tell you that yiu cannot bribe your way into first class.

Most first class graduate (both private and public unis) are very intelligent.

it is just that because private unis produce more first class, it is assumed that the public unis first class are better. this is also false logic although it has small elements of truth as follows:

A public university first class in a class of 300 where he is the only first class student is in the 99.67th percentile
A public university first class in a class of 300 where there were 3 first class students is in the 99th percentile
A private university first class in a class of 300 where there were 15 first class students is only in the 95th percentile

Assumptions:
if we rate intelligence by relativity. how much better you are than your peers
if we assume that students of private and public unis are equally smart. sometimes, it is more difficult to gain admission to public unis sef

we can conclude using the above assumptions that first class of public universities are better than those of private schools

Note that I did not make a first class
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by inschool(m): 2:23pm On Jul 15, 2017
baum1:

You people say this all the time. But a degree is needed to advance to the level where a higher knowledge will be attained to stimulate advancement.

Some will mouth Facebook, Microsoft etc, but the people hired to run these places have degrees from the best universities around. In addition, contemporary research that has led to technological advancement was performed by people who had degrees...In this case, research degrees
Oga baum1 I have been reading all your comments... I can't but say you are making whole lot of sense... your comments makes me more confident
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jul 15, 2017
SplendidE:
met so many poorly baked first class graduates in camp.
they are quick to tell u their grade n complain abt little things ranging from PPA,food n other stuffs
some schooled outside d country while some schooled in private unis.

I wanted to contact you after going through your profile and reading your write ups, I noticed the abbreviations in all your write ups, even your signature and personal text on your profile and your inability to capitalize any alphabet even at the beginning of a new sentence or after a fullstop. Then I started wondering what class of student you are, and the institution you attended.
I still went ahead to contact you though. smiley
But please work on your written English, these things (meaningless abbreviations) become habits the more you do them. It could cost you a job as well.

P. S. The use of "schooled" in that context is wrong. The word to be used there is "studied".

#Peace.
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by abumeinben(m): 2:41pm On Jul 15, 2017
debbie:
let me share my story...Back then in school,there was this girl who was always topping the class...its even surprising because it was one of the engineering courses.She was so keen in getting her grades and coming out with first class..well after the project defense she was summoned by the school senate to ascertain her level of understanding aside the academic grades.....it was a rude shock because she knew nothing else apart from engineering courses.Several questions were asked aside engineering and general life...she couldn't answer well.Her level of understanding about life was so so low.
Well she eventually left the university with her first class....only for me to hear that she spent over 2 years at home without a job.She couldn't fit into the society...she was so conscious of her grades that she didnt pay attention to other aspects of human living.
The last time i saw her in the east....i was not impressed and i felt so bad .

To my greatest surprised,the university didn't offer her any lecturing job as the usual case.
They didnt see qualities in her.

Bottom line....while going after academic pursuit....prepare for life after school and equip yourself to face the world beyond the walls of the higher institution.

We all need help in one way or the other. One of the requests to ask for is "help me". It's the most difficult to say for some people.

If you can still contact her, kindly assist, even if she's not asking. We all have our place we for in. For her, she's should be an R & D person.

Cheers smiley
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jul 15, 2017
MadKid:

I completely disagree with this.

Just because someone wasn't serious in secondary or primary school days, doesn't make them any less first class if they had to sit up and study hard to make it.
Albert Einstein was told by his high school teacher he would amount to nothing. He died the most renowned physicts in the world.
And just because someone has to refer to a text to teach , doesn't make that person any less smart.
The smartest guy in my seconday school didn't make a first class, but the student that was considered dumb back then, made a first class and had two international Award to her name (ACCA and ICAN).
This has always been the case with some renowned scientists, they pick up later in life and still become the best in their field, not just in the books.

And it saddens me you think preparing for an aptitude shows someone is not first-class material. You really don't know anything.
Write the test of McKinsey, Pwc or reputable multinationals without practice and see the outcome. Even first class students with MSc and MBA get rejected because of lack of practice.
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by Nobody: 3:16pm On Jul 15, 2017
debbie:
let me share my story...Back then in school,there was this girl who was always topping the class...its even surprising because it was one of the engineering courses.She was so keen in getting her grades and coming out with first class..well after the project defense she was summoned by the school senate to ascertain her level of understanding aside the academic grades.....it was a rude shock because she knew nothing else apart from engineering courses.Several questions were asked aside engineering and general life...she couldn't answer well.Her level of understanding about life was so so low.
Well she eventually left the university with her first class....only for me to hear that she spent over 2 years at home without a job.She couldn't fit into the society...she was so conscious of her grades that she didnt pay attention to other aspects of human living.
The last time i saw her in the east....i was not impressed and i felt so bad .

To my greatest surprised,the university didn't offer her any lecturing job as the usual case.
They didnt see qualities in her.

Bottom line....while going after academic pursuit....prepare for life after school and equip yourself to face the world beyond the walls of the higher institution.

I wonder how you knew what they asked her and how she answered, where you there
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by 9jageekz(m): 3:26pm On Jul 15, 2017
optimusmind:

I completely disagree with this.

Just because someone wasn't serious in secondary or primary school days, doesn't make them any less first class if they had to sit up and study hard to make it.
Albert Einstein was told by his high school teacher he would amount to nothing. He died the most renowned physicts in the world.
And just because someone has to refer to a text to teach , doesn't make that person any less smart.
The smartest guy in my seconday school didn't make a first class, but the student that was considered dumb back then, made a first class and had two international Award to her name (ACCA and ICAN).
This has always been the case with some renowned scientists, they pick up later in life and still become the best in their field, not just in the books.

And it saddens me you think preparing for an aptitude shows someone is not first-class material. You really don't know anything.
Write the test of McKinsey, Pwc or reputable multinationals without practice and see the outcome. Even first class students with MSc and MBA get rejected because of lack of practice.

Thank you very much..

I'm so surprised at some people level of thinking. I (myself) is an example of your above cited quote, I knew how I fairly coped during my secondary school days or should I say ' Iwas n average student per se.'

Inadvertently, when I gained admission into the university and developed myself, I never let my past secondary school standards define me.

What if I tell you I made a Distinction in my OND (Diploma) and now on a 4.66 in the university.

One thing I know for sure is 'Self Development' is they KEY.
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jul 15, 2017
sunnyeinstein:

The trend is changing nowadays. I went to oyedepo's university @ota to use rotavap in dia xtry dept and wat d lectrer was teaching a class is wat dey wont even teach in msc class, lecturers would jus summarize it and tell u to go on internet and read more

Represent your school well by writing in full. I couldn't even read your post. So much abbreviations and wrong spellings.
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jul 15, 2017
9jageekz:

Thank you very much..

I'm so surprised at some people level of thinking. I (myself) is an example of your above cited quote, I knew how I fairly coped during my secondary school days or should I say ' Iwas n average student per se.'

Inadvertently, when I gained admission into the university and developed myself, I never let my past secondary school standards define me.

What if I tell you I made a Distinction in my OND (Diploma) and now on a 4.66 in the university.

One thing I know for sure is 'Self Development' is they KEY.
Congratulations and keep working hard to achieve the First Class Honours. It is indeed a prestigious Honour.
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by sunnyeinstein(m): 5:24pm On Jul 15, 2017
optimusmind:

Represent your school well by writing in full. I couldn't even read your post. So much abbreviations and wrong spellings.

Online typing doesnt tell who u r, stop all this grammarian $hits. And i represent d world tru my mind, not my school. I smh for u, using this as a yardstick... it is well.
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jul 15, 2017
sunnyeinstein:

Online typing doesnt tell who u r, stop all this grammarian $hits. And i represent d world tru my mind, not my school. I smh for u, using this as a yardstick... it is well.
I have noted this. However, these things are habit forming.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

17-year-old Ojo Jonathan Becomes Youngest Chartered Accountant In Nigeria / ASUU Postpones Meeting Over Iyayi's Death / Remembering University Days... Define Each Person In This PHOTO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.