Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,320 members, 7,815,617 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:21 PM

List Of 8 Ongoing Power Plant Projects In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / List Of 8 Ongoing Power Plant Projects In Nigeria (2891 Views)

Obiano Inspects Bridge Projects In Anambra (Photos) / China Threatens To Suspend Mambilla Power Plant Funding Over Legal Disputes / Pictures Of Construction Projects In Nnsukka Town (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

List Of 8 Ongoing Power Plant Projects In Nigeria by realjoker(m): 8:35pm On Jul 13, 2017
Nigeria as a nation has suffered a lot when it comes to the availability of electricity. However, the federal government has promised to increase the power output by launching several power plant projects.
Below are some of the power sector projects in Nigeria:
1. 450 Megawatts Azura Power Plant
Azura Thermal power station is a natural gas powered electricity generation plant, with a proposed capacity of 1,500 megawatts, under construction in Edo state, Nigeria. It is an IPP project, with the first phase already under construction. It is expected to be commissioned in 2018.
2. 700 Megawatts Hydro Power Plant
Zungeru power plant in Niger state was first conceived in 1982, but was abandoned due to lack of funds and dispute among the parties involved. Construction started again in 2016 and is expected to be completed by 2019.
3. 240 Mega Watts Afam Power Plant
Afam Power Plc is a thermal power plant located in the gas rich Rivers state. It is expected to be completed by December 2017.
4. 40 Mega Watts Kashimbilla Hydro Power Plant
Located in Taraba state, the construction of the 40 Mega Watts Kashimbilla power plant started in March 2017 and it is expected to be running by the end of the year.
5. 215 Mega Watts Kaduna Power Plant
The contract of the power project in Kaduna state was awarded in 2009 and it was expected to be completed within 36 months. However, the project experienced some delay due to inadequate budgetary allocation. It’s expected to start running before the end of this year.
6. 40 Mega Watts Gurara Power Plant
Also in Kaduna state, the completion of the Gurara Hydro power plant would generate additional 30 megawatts.
7. 29 Mega Watts Dadin Kowa Hydro Power Plant
Located in Gombe state, the construction of the Dadin Kowa plant is expected to be completed in November 2017.
8. 10 Mega Watts Katsina Wind Power Plant
The N4.4 billion Katsina Wind power plant project was awarded to a French company in 2010 and was scheduled for completion in 2012. However, the project has been stalled due to several reasons. No completion date has been announced yet.

http://www.energywatchng.com/list-8-ongoing-power-projects-nigeria/

1 Share

Re: List Of 8 Ongoing Power Plant Projects In Nigeria by smartty68(m): 8:39pm On Jul 13, 2017
7/8 power plants are in the North undecided
Re: List Of 8 Ongoing Power Plant Projects In Nigeria by furrr(m): 8:47pm On Jul 13, 2017
I hope they are completed..... cos heavens know nigeria need every bit of power it can get...... kudos to fashola grin

1 Like

Re: List Of 8 Ongoing Power Plant Projects In Nigeria by starkid1996(m): 9:05pm On Jul 13, 2017
with none in the se
Re: List Of 8 Ongoing Power Plant Projects In Nigeria by Okoroawusa: 9:12pm On Jul 13, 2017
smartty68:
since 1999 who ve been in power?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: List Of 8 Ongoing Power Plant Projects In Nigeria by Blue3k(m): 9:21pm On Jul 13, 2017
smartty68:

It's actually 6/8 (Edo and Rives). All the plants in North are hydropowered except the Katsina wind plant. No reason to complain the power shared for better or worse. If it makes you feel better all the north has combine MW of 1462.29. The south has more at 1740 MW assuming Edo gets to 1500 capacity.

4 Likes

Re: List Of 8 Ongoing Power Plant Projects In Nigeria by ONYEUTALI: 9:27pm On Jul 13, 2017
HTW

1 Like

Re: List Of 8 Ongoing Power Plant Projects In Nigeria by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 9:33pm On Jul 13, 2017
ONYEUTALI:
I heard all power plants in the country, whether government owned or private are integrated into the National Grid. Now I see over 50% of those plants are located in the North. I'm looking forward to when they'll be integrated into the National Grid.

Let the North be of use for once in this damned Country.

Wanna bet the sharing formula will change once the plants are completed ?
Re: List Of 8 Ongoing Power Plant Projects In Nigeria by SalamRushdie: 9:35pm On Jul 13, 2017
furrr:
I hope they are completed..... cos heavens know nigeria need every bit of power it can get...... kudos to fashola grin

Are you sure those power plants weren't approved by the past govt and not Fashola ..Check well oo
Re: List Of 8 Ongoing Power Plant Projects In Nigeria by baralatie(m): 9:45pm On Jul 13, 2017
ONYEUTALI:
I heard all power plants in the country, whether government owned or private are integrated into the National Grid. Now I see over 50% of those plants are located in the North. I'm looking forward to when they'll be integrated into the National Grid.

they supply into the national grid the private do not
Re: List Of 8 Ongoing Power Plant Projects In Nigeria by baralatie(m): 9:46pm On Jul 13, 2017
SalamRushdie:

Are you sure those power plants weren't approved by the past govt and not Fashola ..Check well oo
some originated from past administration some were initiated within this administration

1 Like

Re: List Of 8 Ongoing Power Plant Projects In Nigeria by SalamRushdie: 9:49pm On Jul 13, 2017
baralatie:

some originated from past administration some were initiated within this administration

I am sure it's those that are IPPs that were initiated by Fashola because he loves all those kind of shoddy PPPs that are well tailored to enrich his cronies quietly
Re: List Of 8 Ongoing Power Plant Projects In Nigeria by baralatie(m): 9:57pm On Jul 13, 2017
SalamRushdie:

I am sure it's those that are IPPs that were initiated by Fashola because he loves all those kind of shoddy PPPs that are well tailored to enrich his cronies quietly
yes some are basically classified under PPP arrangement but the real issues are the contractors that will install and operate the turbines.if it is good then it is OK but the real problem is transmission and hardly fg celebrates that

1 Like

Re: List Of 8 Ongoing Power Plant Projects In Nigeria by realjoker(m): 10:28pm On Jul 13, 2017
smartty68:
The plan Obasanjo Gov't power Master plan is to build Gas and coal power plants in the south and hydroelectric and coal power plants in the North. NIPP has successfully completed the construction of the 9 planned gas power plants with about 5,700MW combined capacity while the planned northern plants were jettison at that time do to the prioritizing of gas fired projects, the wind and solar farm were later included into the north master plan. And many other independent power plants were also constructed in the Niger Delta by IOCs, State Gov'ts and others at that time.
This is the list of completed NIPP Power plants:
Ihovbor Power Station Benin , Edo state with the capacity of 4 x 112.5 MW ( 126 MW).
Calabar Power Station, Cross River State with the capacity of 5 x 112.5112.5 MW (126 MW).
Egbema Power Station, Imo State with the capacity of 3 x 112.5 MW (126 MW).
Gbarain Power Station, Yenagoa, Bayelsa State with the capacity of 2 x 112.5 MW (126 MW).
Sapele Power Station, Delta State with the capacity of 4 x 112.5 MW (126 MW).
Omoku Power Station, Rivers State with the capacity of 2 x 112.5 MW (126 MW).
Ikot Abasi Power Station, Akwa Ibom with the capacity of 2 x 112.5 MW (126 MW) (replaced later by Ibom Power Station).
Omotosho power station, Ondo State 450 MW, (4x112.5 MW)
Olorunsogo II Power Station, 675 MW (4x112.5 MW and 2x112.5 MW steam turbines.)
Re: List Of 8 Ongoing Power Plant Projects In Nigeria by realjoker(m): 10:31pm On Jul 13, 2017
ONYEUTALI:

Over 70% of power capacity in the country are in south
Re: List Of 8 Ongoing Power Plant Projects In Nigeria by Desyner: 10:38pm On Jul 13, 2017
If them rise against us we go change am for them oh by 10/10
Re: List Of 8 Ongoing Power Plant Projects In Nigeria by BiafranYouths(m): 11:38pm On Jul 13, 2017
That Ibom Power Plant is not functional to its full capacity, that's what Udom should priorities instead of Building another stadium in Eket, he should upgrade Ibom Power Plant to 2,000 Megawatts, yes it's possible, we have the oil and gas, manpower and infrastructure in place
Re: List Of 8 Ongoing Power Plant Projects In Nigeria by dre247(m): 1:45am On Jul 14, 2017
On going! Is there ever any completed project in Nigeria. Projects that are only done in the pages of the Newspapers.
Re: List Of 8 Ongoing Power Plant Projects In Nigeria by hollywater: 1:47am On Jul 14, 2017
smartty68:
One Nigeria.
Re: List Of 8 Ongoing Power Plant Projects In Nigeria by Prouddevil(m): 1:57am On Jul 14, 2017
Okoroawusa:

since 1999 who ve been in power?
grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Owerri PDP Presidential Campaign Rally / Nigerians Blast Foreign Journalist On His Reaction To Ballot Snatchers / NEWS:- Buhari Vs Atiku: Israel Congratulates President- Elect

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.