Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,459 members, 7,843,396 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 02:11 AM

Nigeria`s Unity Cannot Be Compromised – Kukah - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria`s Unity Cannot Be Compromised – Kukah (1415 Views)

Atiku, Osita Chidoka, Oyedepo, Kukah, Sheik Gumi Inside Atiku's Jet / Atiku Speaks On Meeting Obasanjo, Oyedepo, Kukah, Sheik Gumi / Oyedepo, Kukah, Sheik Gumi, Atiku, Obasanjo Meet In Abeokuta (More Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria`s Unity Cannot Be Compromised – Kukah by sarrki(m): 9:22pm On Jul 13, 2017
13th July 2017
Bishop of Catholic Diocese of Sokoto, Most Rev. Matthew Kukah, said Nigeria`s unity could not be compromised and urged citizens to contribute to its greatness.

He stated this on Thursday in Abuja at a national dialogue organised by the Savannah Centre for Diplomacy Democracy and Development.

The theme of session, which was the third in the series of national dialogue by the centre, was “Nigeria`s Unity and National Integration: Threats and Opportunities for National Development“.

Kukah, who reacted to agitations by groups in the country, said that politics was strengthened by people having the capacity to express themselves.

He, however, said that in spite of feelings in parts of the country, unity remained the focus of the country and that it was the responsibility of all to make Nigeria great and envy of other nations.

“We cannot recover territory from Boko Haram only to surrender it to others; we are Nigeria and Nigeria will continue to remain.

“This country belongs to all of us and I think it is important for us to understand that while the protester must have his voice, the one in power must also have his voice.

“We are before the red sea; this may be Nigerian`s best moment. It is time for us to realise our collective venerability,“ he said.

The Bishop added that the reason everyone existed in the country was because there was a Nigeria, and said that while Nigeria could exist without us, we could not exist without the country.

He said that the challenge to all should be how to make Nigeria great, stressing that all stakeholders should work to ensure that.

He expressed regret that the patriotism of most public office holders ended as soon as they were out of office.

“Ministers become so patriotic when they are in office and I have seen them come down; no sooner had they lost their positions than their patriotism ended,’’ he said.

Kukah decried the country`s present state and said that the political class should have seen it coming.

“The political class has no time to reflect; we fumble and fumble through problems and we just think that the problems will go away,’’ he said.

He said that it was time that some contradictions in the country were addressed.

According to him, though we are in civilian administration, the country`s public space has been increasingly dominated by those trained to use monopolised and declared violence.

The cleric pointed out that Nigerians did not just decide to become violent but that there was a direct correlation between the movement of small arms and how armed robbers got arms.

This, he said, were some of the contradictions that led to the country`s present challenges, adding that some states lacked the capacity to address some issues of development.

Prof. Ibrahim Gambari, founder of the centre and Nigeria’s former Permanent Representative at the United Nations, said that even the United States was still designing a perfect union for the country.

According to him, the idea was to keep working at it so that there will be less dissatisfaction and more gratification, and an assurance that we are moving in the right direction.

Gambari said that though personalities were important because they made a difference, leadership was key, and the Nigerian project was a project of all.

He explained that the objective of the dialogue was to come up with realistic implementable and innovative ideas that would move the country forward.

He said that the centre was poised to be part of national discuss, adding that it did not have to always agree on issues raised.

Gambari advised that consensus was not built by creating enemies, but by engaging persons with divergent views.

He said “from experience, parties to a conflict and disagreement stand their ground best when they are standing within a common ground“.

He expressed optimism that panels at the session would come up with robust deliberation with actionable and viable recommendation for the country`s policy makers

http://sunnewsonline.com/nigerias-unity-cannot-be-compromised-kukah/
Re: Nigeria`s Unity Cannot Be Compromised – Kukah by Amarabae(f): 9:22pm On Jul 13, 2017
Unity without fairness and justice?
Unity when the "owners" of the country are scared of Restructruing?
Unity when a dry port is built in kaduna but an Onitsha river port is neglected?
Unity when the two key things that unite the country are Football and Igbophobia?
Unity when the 2014 confab report has been thrown into the bin?
Unity when Igbo land has been and is been neglected by FG Presence?
Unity when there is NOT a single National Headquaters in Igbo Land?
Unity when the Igbo blood have flowed like water in the country esp in the North?
Unity when there is a systematic economic blockage launched against Igboland?
I Can go on and on.
What kind of unity is that?
-
It takes an Igbo to know what it means to be Igbo in an Igbophobic Nigeria.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria`s Unity Cannot Be Compromised – Kukah by sarrki(m): 9:23pm On Jul 13, 2017
Thank You Man Of God

Online miscreants will call him all sorts of name
Re: Nigeria`s Unity Cannot Be Compromised – Kukah by sarrki(m): 9:25pm On Jul 13, 2017
Cc lalasticlala

Cc myndd44
Re: Nigeria`s Unity Cannot Be Compromised – Kukah by Yeligray(m): 9:26pm On Jul 13, 2017
It has already been compromised.
Re: Nigeria`s Unity Cannot Be Compromised – Kukah by ExpensiveG: 9:26pm On Jul 13, 2017
~ "we are not Nigeria and Nigeria will not continue to remain."

Even though I be CATHOLIC, I disagree with my BISHOP..... Ogini

Enough is Enough. we don tire for dis useless government. Everyday na so so bad news we der hear for dis ZOO. sad

*****I CANNOT SPIT MY SALIVA AND LEAK IT BACK. *** irepBIAFRA
grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria`s Unity Cannot Be Compromised – Kukah by Evablizin(f): 9:30pm On Jul 13, 2017
Make i book space the man after op's heart have spoken
Re: Nigeria`s Unity Cannot Be Compromised – Kukah by ransomeware: 9:33pm On Jul 13, 2017
Amarabae:

Kukah was my Rev. in Kaduna. we sponsored his trip to sokoto and and he is enjoying Nigeria cake and public tax money from politician. LIke i always say, one NIgeria is a must for me and i must enjoy what they enjoy. they need not to tell me. i support IPOB as Nwa Abagana but must enjoy this soil till e dry. gudnight
Re: Nigeria`s Unity Cannot Be Compromised – Kukah by Ehiscotch(m): 9:36pm On Jul 13, 2017
Oh please. Not the merry-go-round again.
Leave the paranoid people let them agitate.
Since they so much desire power and they feel that they are the only marginalized tribe in Nigeria.
Blaming the power drunken NORTH for their failed leadership.
Give them what they want even it they do not know what it is they want.
ABEG. Their matter don tire me.
Re: Nigeria`s Unity Cannot Be Compromised – Kukah by sarrki(m): 9:41pm On Jul 13, 2017
Re: Nigeria`s Unity Cannot Be Compromised – Kukah by sarrki(m): 9:43pm On Jul 13, 2017
Amarabae:
Unity when a dry port is built in kaduna but an Onitsha river port is neglected?
Unity when the two key things that unite the country are Football and Igbophobia?
Unity when the Igbo blood have flowed like water in the country esp in the North?
I Can go on and on.
-

This is Book of Lamentation

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria`s Unity Cannot Be Compromised – Kukah by Amarabae(f): 9:44pm On Jul 13, 2017
sarrki:

This is Book of Lamentation
failing to counter it means you agree with me.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria`s Unity Cannot Be Compromised – Kukah by seuncyrus(m): 9:46pm On Jul 13, 2017
really ?
Re: Nigeria`s Unity Cannot Be Compromised – Kukah by Ereolamide: 9:46pm On Jul 13, 2017
I hate people that talk about the indivisibility of Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria`s Unity Cannot Be Compromised – Kukah by ExpensiveG: 9:47pm On Jul 13, 2017
sarrki:
Thank You Man Of God
I will call him a ZOOLOGIAN grin make I follow THANK dey Man of God to receive my own blessings grin

sarrki a friend from another country wey we dey call em ZOO

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria`s Unity Cannot Be Compromised – Kukah by vanbonattel: 9:49pm On Jul 13, 2017
Unity begging bishop. He is an endangered specie if the country breaks. He knows he will be forced to be a senior mallam by force or he disappear to Rome.

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria`s Unity Cannot Be Compromised – Kukah by facelessangel: 9:50pm On Jul 13, 2017
Politcal Bishop
Re: Nigeria`s Unity Cannot Be Compromised – Kukah by sarrki(m): 9:53pm On Jul 13, 2017
Amarabae:
failing to counter it means you agree with me.

Amarabae my friend
Re: Nigeria`s Unity Cannot Be Compromised – Kukah by sarrki(m): 9:54pm On Jul 13, 2017
ExpensiveG:

I will call him a ZOOLOGIAN grin
make I follow THANK dey Man of God to receive my own blessings grin

sarrki a friend from another country wey we dey call em ZOO

grin

We are united in love

Don't allow Mazi to brainwash you
Re: Nigeria`s Unity Cannot Be Compromised – Kukah by madridguy(m): 9:57pm On Jul 13, 2017
CONFIRM.
Re: Nigeria`s Unity Cannot Be Compromised – Kukah by ExpensiveG: 10:00pm On Jul 13, 2017
sarrki:

grin
We are united in love
Don't allow Mazi to brainwash you
United in which LOVE

Oga SARRKI wer is BUHARI dat has brainwashed dat you fish brain grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria`s Unity Cannot Be Compromised – Kukah by ExpensiveG: 10:01pm On Jul 13, 2017
madridguy:
CONFIRM.
undecided

Re: Nigeria`s Unity Cannot Be Compromised – Kukah by baralatie(m): 10:03pm On Jul 13, 2017
sarrki:
13th July 2017
Bishop of Catholic Diocese of Sokoto, Most Rev. Matthew Kukah, said Nigeria`s unity could not be compromised and urged citizens to contribute to its greatness.

He stated this on Thursday in Abuja at a national dialogue organised by the Savannah Centre for Diplomacy Democracy and Development.

The theme of session, which was the third in the series of national dialogue by the centre, was “Nigeria`s Unity and National Integration: Threats and Opportunities for National Development“.

Kukah, who reacted to agitations by groups in the country, said that politics was strengthened by people having the capacity to express themselves.

He, however, said that in spite of feelings in parts of the country, unity remained the focus of the country and that it was the responsibility of all to make Nigeria great and envy of other nations.

“We cannot recover territory from Boko Haram only to surrender it to others; we are Nigeria and Nigeria will continue to remain.

“This country belongs to all of us and I think it is important for us to understand that while the protester must have his voice, the one in power must also have his voice.

“We are before the red sea; this may be Nigerian`s best moment. It is time for us to realise our collective venerability,“ he said.

The Bishop added that the reason everyone existed in the country was because there was a Nigeria, and said that while Nigeria could exist without us, we could not exist without the country.

He said that the challenge to all should be how to make Nigeria great, stressing that all stakeholders should work to ensure that.

He expressed regret that the patriotism of most public office holders ended as soon as they were out of office.

“Ministers become so patriotic when they are in office and I have seen them come down; no sooner had they lost their positions than their patriotism ended,’’ he said.

Kukah decried the country`s present state and said that the political class should have seen it coming.

“The political class has no time to reflect; we fumble and fumble through problems and we just think that the problems will go away,’’ he said.

He said that it was time that some contradictions in the country were addressed.

According to him, though we are in civilian administration, the country`s public space has been increasingly dominated by those trained to use monopolised and declared violence.

The cleric pointed out that Nigerians did not just decide to become violent but that there was a direct correlation between the movement of small arms and how armed robbers got arms.

This, he said, were some of the contradictions that led to the country`s present challenges, adding that some states lacked the capacity to address some issues of development.

Prof. Ibrahim Gambari, founder of the centre and Nigeria’s former Permanent Representative at the United Nations, said that even the United States was still designing a perfect union for the country.

According to him, the idea was to keep working at it so that there will be less dissatisfaction and more gratification, and an assurance that we are moving in the right direction.

Gambari said that though personalities were important because they made a difference, leadership was key, and the Nigerian project was a project of all.

He explained that the objective of the dialogue was to come up with realistic implementable and innovative ideas that would move the country forward.

He said that the centre was poised to be part of national discuss, adding that it did not have to always agree on issues raised.

Gambari advised that consensus was not built by creating enemies, but by engaging persons with divergent views.

He said “from experience, parties to a conflict and disagreement stand their ground best when they are standing within a common ground“.

He expressed optimism that panels at the session would come up with robust deliberation with actionable and viable recommendation for the country`s policy makers

http://sunnewsonline.com/nigerias-unity-cannot-be-compromised-kukah/

Re: Nigeria`s Unity Cannot Be Compromised – Kukah by aolawale025: 10:37pm On Jul 13, 2017
Amarabae:
I Can go on and on.
-

Correct! Unity without Justice, Equity and fairness is unity built on quicksand.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria`s Unity Cannot Be Compromised – Kukah by Deedeedee3: 12:04am On Jul 14, 2017
Nigeria should split. Simple!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria`s Unity Cannot Be Compromised – Kukah by fineboynl(m): 12:37am On Jul 14, 2017
after we have collectively developed the north abuja as the capital territory with oil proceeds from southern Nigeria. some group of northern elements are insuring quiet notice to some section of Nigeria. abuja and Lagos is regarded as a no mans land because both cities had the status of the capital. which all part of the country collectively developed from oil proceeds.

there are people who believe they owned up abuja likewise Lagos because it was part of their land mass. and believe they can issues quiet notice at any giving time.

this is one of the reason we should dismantled the capital and let every region developed at it own pace. the Yoruba claimed they owned Lagos just because its on their land mass so also the Hausa Fulani. we cannot afford to use our sweat to develop these city and at the end we keep getting this threats of leaving.

so its high time we call for a referendum and put an end to this serious problem of ownership of the capital.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria`s Unity Cannot Be Compromised – Kukah by moneyest(m): 3:42am On Jul 14, 2017
sarrki:
Thank You Man Of God

you are very silly. You will acknowledge this one as man of God but will turn around when you see prophet Joshua Iginla saying what a gooaat like u tags "unpatriotic".hypocrisy is the main ingredient 4 preparing ewedu soup.
Re: Nigeria`s Unity Cannot Be Compromised – Kukah by sarrki(m): 3:56am On Jul 14, 2017
moneyest:

you are very silly. You will acknowledge this one as man of God but will turn around when you see prophet Joshua Iginla saying what a gooaat like u tags "unpatriotic".hypocrisy is the main ingredient 4 preparing ewedu soup.

Can you stop vibrating

Look inward

Ask for God intervention for the upper chamber of your main system to become fully operational the way its meant to be not in the reverse mode its working now
Re: Nigeria`s Unity Cannot Be Compromised – Kukah by myright: 4:03am On Jul 14, 2017
Kukah, you are a mad, evil, man of devil. A bastard to the core. I'm a catholic but anybody including the pope that comes against my freedom should be ready to die. Kukah, you've just signed your death warrant. Useless criminal like you
Re: Nigeria`s Unity Cannot Be Compromised – Kukah by sarrki(m): 4:42am On Jul 14, 2017
myright:
Kukah, you are a mad, evil, man of devil. A bastard to the core. I'm a catholic but anybody including the pope that comes against my freedom should be ready to die. Kukah, you've just signed your death warrant. Useless criminal like you

E pepper am
Re: Nigeria`s Unity Cannot Be Compromised – Kukah by juman(m): 5:56am On Jul 14, 2017
nigeria should let biafra go.

Obviously one nigeria is a waste of time.
Re: Nigeria`s Unity Cannot Be Compromised – Kukah by net282: 6:09am On Jul 14, 2017
I concur with u, but the right thing should be done at the right time

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pictures of President Buhari And APC Governors Having Lunch Today in London / BREAKING: Inflation Rate Drops To 14.33% In February – NBS / Orji Uzor Kalu Speaks On Fulani Herdsmen, Blows Hot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.