Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,183 members, 7,818,585 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:17 PM

Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' (76653 Views)

Ghanaian Nurse Helps A Pregnant Woman Give Birth On The Road (Photos) / 44-Year-Old Woman Dies With Her Twins After Refusing To Give Birth Through CS / Possibility Of AA+AS Genotype Parent Give Birth To SS - Exper Opinion Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by muller101(m): 10:02pm On Jul 15, 2017
What are these people saying. If I start mine una go run o
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by Nobody: 10:02pm On Jul 15, 2017
Are you trying to tell we AA to marry AA to avoid giving birth to SS?
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by maureensylvia(f): 10:02pm On Jul 15, 2017
thunder fire u op who do u want to give BP Dis night
devil incarnate

1 Like

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by lovingyouhun: 10:02pm On Jul 15, 2017
dreshemokha:
Op. Genetics and health is not mathematics as you just calculated.
And yes it is totally IMPOSSIBLE, a marriage between AA and AS can NEVER produce SS.
Moreover, there is no relationship in inheritance between sickle cell diseases and thalassemias.

Am a doctor with a health blog. Check my signature and visit my blog for robust health info and publications.
I be don taya ooooooooo
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by dipznano: 10:03pm On Jul 15, 2017
Piiko:
I am AS and I hope the love of my life is AA I only want 1 kid, I don't want a Sickler God abeg give me AA wife

Na people like u God dey dash triplet grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by sainty2k3(m): 10:03pm On Jul 15, 2017
Crixina:
Dear Op, as much as you are trying to be educative...you lost most of us...A post like this should be brought to a layman's understand, the use of some terms there are rather too vague most people's comprehension.
Thanks for that , I tried to break it down to layman's level, ,its obvious some will still not get it
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by joyandfaith: 10:03pm On Jul 15, 2017
dreshemokha:
Op. Genetics and health is not mathematics as you just calculated.
And yes it is totally IMPOSSIBLE, a marriage between AA and AS can NEVER produce SS.
Moreover, there is no relationship in inheritance between sickle cell diseases and thalassemias.

Am a doctor with a health blog. Check my signature and visit my blog for robust health info and publications.
thanks. op just misinforms people. thalassemias and sickle cell are different forms of heamoglobinopathy. thalassemia is a disorder of number of hemoglobin chain while sickle is disorder of molecular structure. thalassemias is usually due to gene deletion while sickle cell is due to genetic mutation.modeinheritance are different. as and aa cannot produce ss.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by tiwasiaife(m): 10:03pm On Jul 15, 2017
Its possible
How?
1 if the husband has slept with a woman who has just finished sex within seconds and the man happens to be AS and deposited sperm inside the woman's vagina and the man comes and sleep with her and uses his penis tips to collect some spermatozoa deposits inside the woman's vagina and going back to her wife immediately to have sex there is tendency that the sperm collected from the other woman can first move after ejaculation and fertilizes her wife's ovary thereby giving the child an SS carrier

1 Like

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by dodelight(m): 10:04pm On Jul 15, 2017
Some people just like to sell fear. That's what this article is about.
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by Crixina(f): 10:04pm On Jul 15, 2017
Dear Op, as much as you are trying to be educative...you lost most of us...A post like this should be brought to a layman's understanding, the use of some terms there are rather too vague most people's comprehension.
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by Nobody: 10:05pm On Jul 15, 2017
Please quote your refrences for all this information.
sainty2k3:

Please verify and update ur stuffs , the informations provided and also buttressed by the first comment explains it all. Bothe the qualitative genetic abnormalities that leads to Hb S and the quantitative abnormalities in thalassemia can be co inherited otherwise known as S beta thallasemia . I have seen some cases like this , I'm very sure of this fact and for your information I'm not a mathematician, I simply stated a medical fact
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by sainty2k3(m): 10:05pm On Jul 15, 2017
darlenese:
nonsense and ingredient.

no AS and AA has ever given birth to an SS. carry your rubbish theory and gerrahere.

mshweeeeeeew.
Calm down, these ain't theory , its what we have seen ,life and direct
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by Philinho(m): 10:05pm On Jul 15, 2017
In the name Of Jesus,SS is Changing to AA. so I don't bother
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by senier007(m): 10:06pm On Jul 15, 2017
Op welldone for putting up this fine "hypothesis", but in reality the possibility of such thing happening is nearly impossible especially in Europe and Most developed countries, here in Africa, it's a different ball game, why? My simple reason is Malaria- yes I said malaria, The malaria parasite has a complex lifecycle and spends part of it in red blood cells. In a carrier, the presence of the malaria parasite causes the red blood cells with defective haemoglobin to rupture prematurely, making the Plasmodium parasite unable to reproduce. Further, the polymerization of Hb affects the ability of the parasite to digest Hb in the first place. Therefore, in areas where malaria is a problem, people's chances of survival actually increase if they carry sickle-cell trait (selection for the heterozygote).
But in a situation whereby the person is not a carrier, it impossible to have SS from non carrier parent, that is why upto now no single scientists came up with this crazy hypothesis of your into reality.

Your hypothesis is similar to the one that says all men have evolve from monkeys but for more than 500years no single monkey not even a baby monkey turns into human

3 Likes

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by Scholar212(m): 10:07pm On Jul 15, 2017
sainty2k3:
YES it is not impossible, couples that are AA/AS can give birth to SS , this is how
1. let me differentiate between haemoglobin genotype and haemoglobin phenotype
To get a particular GENOTYPE you have to do a genetic testing or use two or more of the screening test (the conventional electrophoresis that we do + HPLC or other similar test) to confirm the true genotype while hb PHENOTYPE is the appearance /characteristics of an individual haemoglobin on conventional electrophoresis which we loosely refer to as GENOTYPE
Most times when we call ourselves AA,SS,AS we are actually referring to our Haemoglogin PHENOTYPE and NOT GENOTYPE, as most of us don’t do genetic tests, all we do is haemoglobin electrophoresis
2. lets explain the concept of thalasemic trait. Thalassemias are quantitative defect of haemoglobin which means some one can be AA but the one or both A in this person is is absent otherwise known as thalassemia minor and major respectively. If such person run haemoglobin Electrophoresis( the test that we always loosely regard to as genotype) only A band will be seen and such a person will be regarded as AA. But they are also prone to anaemias and some certain abnormal features in the blood depending on the degree in the reduction in the defective A . such individuals can be Aβ-Thalassaemia(otherwise known as thalassaemic trait) if one of the’ A gene’ is normal, or β-Thalassaemia major if both are affected
3. lets merge the two concepts above and form AND SEE THE DIFFERENT PHENOTYPE THAT EXIST AND THE POSSIBLE CORRESPONDING GENOTYPE
If PHENOTYPE is AA the likely GENOTYPES will be AA , Aβ-Thalassaemia
If PHENOTYPE is SS the likely GENOTYPES will be SS, Sβ-Thalassaemia (MEANING THE OTHER ‘A’ THAT WOULD HAVE MADE THIS AN ‘AS’ IS TOTALLY ABSENT) Others might include SD,SG etc though these are very rare
If PHENOTYPE is AS the likely GENOTYPES will be SA (NOTE – ‘S’ COMES BEFORE ‘A’ BECAUSE THE A IS THALASSAEMIC, THOUGH NOT TOTALLY ABSENT AS THE ONE ABOVE ,IT IS SUSBSTANTIALLY REDUCE), or truely AS
4. Lets assume this our hypothetical couple have Hb eleterophoresis done and was told that the genotype of partner 1 is AA, and that of partner 2 is AS ,but the one that is called AA is actually Aβ-Thalassaemia as ealier mentioned. There possible offspring include
I. AA, If the child inherit the normal A from partner 1 and another normal A from partner 2
II. Aβ-Thalassaemia ,If the child inherit β-Thalassaemic A from the partner 1 and normal A from partner 2
III. AS,If the child inherit normal A from partner 1 and S from patner 2
IV. Sβ-Thalassaemia If the child inherit β-Thalassaemic A from partner 1 and S from partner 2
Note that scenario I above will show AA on Hb electrophoresis, scenario ii will show AA on electrophoresis, scenario iii will show AS on electrophoresis and scenario iv will show SS on electrophoresis
I have tried to simplify the medical terms but if you still have a doubt or clarification ask and I will try to shed more light, as much as I can.
OP can you cite any medical journal to buttress your claim, in all my haematology classes and even deep lectures on blood grouping, genotype and haemoglobinopathies I have never come across such not online, textbook or lecture. The burden of prove now lies on you to justify your claim of co-dominant thalasemia trait and HB genotype
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by sgtponzihater1(m): 10:10pm On Jul 15, 2017
sainty2k3:

That is if the AA is actually AA genotype and not A beta thalassemia , note that from the explanation above On HB electrophoresis, whicjbwe all loosely refer tonas genotype all of them will appear as AA

While I know where u are driving at. The above explanation will give HBSthal, which is different from HBSS. The former have less sickling events and can lead nearly normal lives with very few crises. But Only mutation would cause AA that married AS to give birth to SS, such phenomenon, while feasible theoretically have never been documented. Weldone anyways.

3 Likes

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by sainty2k3(m): 10:10pm On Jul 15, 2017
funmisticqueen:
Please quote your refrences for all this information.
If I quote my references I doubt if many will be able to riglt comprehend them.
But I found this
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4459467/#!po=8.82353
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by Bontia(m): 10:10pm On Jul 15, 2017
Abeg who fit help me translate to English? :' undecided undecided undecided
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by MrOlai: 10:11pm On Jul 15, 2017
Some of us are Christians and some of us are Muslims. We believe Adam was the first person created by God on the Earth. What was the genotype of Adam?

Evolution can bring about many changes that are considered impossible over time. Science is ever dynamic.
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by darlenese(f): 10:12pm On Jul 15, 2017
sainty2k3:

Calm down, these ain't theory , its what we have seen ,life and direct

I think those people who have experienced this should go for a DNA test, instead of assuming the possibility a theory that has not be propounded by anybody. this assumption isn't correct if it has not be proven, and it shouldn't even be brought to front page in the first place.
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by Nobody: 10:13pm On Jul 15, 2017
sainty2k3:
YES it is not impossible, couples that are AA/AS can give birth to SS , this is how
1. let me differentiate between haemoglobin genotype and haemoglobin phenotype
To get a particular GENOTYPE you have to do a genetic testing or use two or more of the screening test (the conventional electrophoresis that we do + HPLC or other similar test) to confirm the true genotype while hb PHENOTYPE is the appearance /characteristics of an individual haemoglobin on conventional electrophoresis which we loosely refer to as GENOTYPE
Most times when we call ourselves AA,SS,AS we are actually referring to our Haemoglogin PHENOTYPE and NOT GENOTYPE, as most of us don’t do genetic tests, all we do is haemoglobin electrophoresis
2. lets explain the concept of thalasemic trait. Thalassemias are quantitative defect of haemoglobin which means some one can be AA but the one or both A in this person is is absent otherwise known as thalassemia minor and major respectively. If such person run haemoglobin Electrophoresis( the test that we always loosely regard to as genotype) only A band will be seen and such a person will be regarded as AA. But they are also prone to anaemias and some certain abnormal features in the blood depending on the degree in the reduction in the defective A . such individuals can be Aβ-Thalassaemia(otherwise known as thalassaemic trait) if one of the’ A gene’ is normal, or β-Thalassaemia major if both are affected
3. lets merge the two concepts above and form AND SEE THE DIFFERENT PHENOTYPE THAT EXIST AND THE POSSIBLE CORRESPONDING GENOTYPE
If PHENOTYPE is AA the likely GENOTYPES will be AA , Aβ-Thalassaemia
If PHENOTYPE is SS the likely GENOTYPES will be SS, Sβ-Thalassaemia (MEANING THE OTHER ‘A’ THAT WOULD HAVE MADE THIS AN ‘AS’ IS TOTALLY ABSENT) Others might include SD,SG etc though these are very rare
If PHENOTYPE is AS the likely GENOTYPES will be SA (NOTE – ‘S’ COMES BEFORE ‘A’ BECAUSE THE A IS THALASSAEMIC, THOUGH NOT TOTALLY ABSENT AS THE ONE ABOVE ,IT IS SUSBSTANTIALLY REDUCE), or truely AS
4. Lets assume this our hypothetical couple have Hb eleterophoresis done and was told that the genotype of partner 1 is AA, and that of partner 2 is AS ,but the one that is called AA is actually Aβ-Thalassaemia as ealier mentioned. There possible offspring include
I. AA, If the child inherit the normal A from partner 1 and another normal A from partner 2
II. Aβ-Thalassaemia ,If the child inherit β-Thalassaemic A from the partner 1 and normal A from partner 2
III. AS,If the child inherit normal A from partner 1 and S from patner 2
IV. Sβ-Thalassaemia If the child inherit β-Thalassaemic A from partner 1 and S from partner 2
Note that scenario I above will show AA on Hb electrophoresis, scenario ii will show AA on electrophoresis, scenario iii will show AS on electrophoresis and scenario iv will show SS on electrophoresis
I have tried to simplify the medical terms but if you still have a doubt or clarification ask and I will try to shed more light, as much as I can.
Pls stop misleading Nigeria, there is no research done on this by usa : a black man can't get it right. It is never possible and its impossible for AA and AS to give birth to SS, nairaland shold stop promoting nonsence. The only phenotype we carry out its ABO where by their is dorminant and hiding gene. Here A+ and B+ can give birth to O. Pls genotype is genotype, and stop misleading Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by sgtponzihater1(m): 10:14pm On Jul 15, 2017
tiwasiaife:
Its possible
How?
1 if the husband has slept with a woman who has just finished sex within seconds and the man happens to be AS and deposited sperm inside the woman's vagina and the man comes and sleep with her and uses his penis tips to collect some spermatozoa deposits inside the woman's vagina and going back to her wife immediately to have sex there is tendency that the sperm collected from the other woman can first move after ejaculation and fertilizes her wife's ovary thereby giving the child an SS carrier

This is arrant nonsense, I pray wisdom into u.
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by sainty2k3(m): 10:14pm On Jul 15, 2017
sgtponzihater1:

While I know where u are driving at. The above explanation will give HBSthal, which is different from HBSS. The former have less sickling events and can lead nearly normal lives with very few crises. But Only mutation would cause AA that married AS to give birth to SS, such phenomenon, while feasible theoretically have never been documented. Weldone anyways.
Good to see someone getting it. The point is on HB electrophoresis SBthal will appear as SS

1 Like

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by Jointhemiltons2(m): 10:15pm On Jul 15, 2017
LionDeLeo:
OP, I did not bother to read your analysis because I know you just want to make noise.

What you are saying is the most impossible thing on Earth.

Even AA & SS cannot produce SS, not to talk of AA & AS.

Am not even sure dah OP go school sef or even study Biology cos it's never possible

1 Like

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by modsRbastard: 10:15pm On Jul 15, 2017
sainty2k3:

You have tried to simplify nothing but complicate matters. You just gave women a good alibi to conceal their cheating for when they bring in that Bastard son with SS angry

1 Like

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by Nobody: 10:15pm On Jul 15, 2017
I just asked this question on Quora, let me get professional opinion

1 Like

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by Nobody: 10:16pm On Jul 15, 2017
Jargon... I'm lost in all that medical jargons...
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by instinct57vm(m): 10:16pm On Jul 15, 2017
Dnt mind op...such cases he has seen im sure are cases whr ppl assume dere own genotype n proceed to marry but later discover thier real genotype wen its too late.. it happens alot
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by LionDeLeo: 10:17pm On Jul 15, 2017
Jointhemiltons2:

Am not even sure dah OP go school sef or even study Biology cos it's never possible

He just want to make noise and the mods decided to push the crap to front page.

I don't know what he takes nairalanders for.

1 Like

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by sainty2k3(m): 10:18pm On Jul 15, 2017
darlenese:

I think those people who have experienced this should go for a DNA test, instead of assuming the possibility a theory that has not be propounded by anybody. this assumption isn't correct if it has not be proven, and it shouldn't even be brought to front page in the first place.
https://www.google.com.ng/amp/www.graphic.com.gh/news/health/aa-and-as-partners-produce-ss-baby-is-that-possible.amp.html
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by donhils: 10:18pm On Jul 15, 2017
When articles/information like this come up, it is expected we see a [/b]credible[b] source because some people might swallow everything here hook, line and sinker.
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by sainty2k3(m): 10:19pm On Jul 15, 2017
beamtopola:

Pls stop misleading Nigeria, there is no research done on this by usa : a black man can't get it right. It is never possible and its impossible for AA and AS to give birth to SS, nairaland shold stop promoting nonsence. The only phenotype we carry out its ABO where by their is dorminant and hiding gene. Here A+ and B+ can give birth to O. Pls genotype is genotype, and stop misleading Nigeria.
https://www.google.com.ng/amp/www.graphic.com.gh/news/health/aa-and-as-partners-produce-ss-baby-is-that-possible.amp.html

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

28days Detox Slim Tea. / 5 Common HIV Symptoms In Men You Should Not Ignore / 3 Health Implications Of Drinking Garri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.