Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,440 members, 7,819,622 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:19 PM

A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) (66799 Views)

World’s Largest Reptile Egg Discovered On Antarctica / The Sinking Of The Titanic- They Lied, It Wasn't The Iceberg / The Big Size Of An Undergraduate's Project Hardcopy (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by CzarChris(m): 1:52pm On Jul 15, 2017
majekdom2:
great, it is that African believe almost anything since they have little impact in technology. It is good to think differently. To be balanced and not just go with theory without substantial proof. I think what Trump might be saying is Nature is evolving. Which has always been it's characteristics according to science caused by so many factors. Use of fossil fuel may be a cause but will not stop it and it's effects may not even be severe or perhaps could provide solutions to another of man's problem in the nearest term.
True, in my opinion use of fossil fuels only speeds up the process of nature doing its thing. This is just another hoax created to for a few researchers to feed off.

1 Like

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by temmytee2309: 1:57pm On Jul 15, 2017
This is exactly wat happened in the movie "day after tomorrow" massive flooding loading.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by mecussey(m): 1:58pm On Jul 15, 2017
majekdom2:
There are graduates from Nigerian universities changing the world. Look beyond your Niche. There are graduates that have made marks in their profession. That not to say the system will have is fantastic. No, we have churned more unemployable graduates than the employeable ones but Then you don't have to condemn or insult the graduates. If you condemn the product, will the product change except the process and company manufacturing th product change. Liken the process to university and company to the government. So the government has got to change the process. The graduates can do less. That refers me to your post where you say that you see graduates "carrying folder up and down". Thats not a good speech
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Coldfeet(f): 1:58pm On Jul 15, 2017
Ajewealth123:
O ga o.
What harm does this pose?

Modified, thanks for all that contributed.
So una mean say places like lekki,banana island,vi,ikoyi,elegushi water go just throway all of them?
Please don't say that again lipsrsealed
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by mecussey(m): 1:58pm On Jul 15, 2017
majekdom2:
There are graduates from Nigerian universities changing the world. Look beyond your Niche. There are graduates that have made marks in their profession. That not to say the system will have is fantastic. No, we have churned more unemployable graduates than the employeable ones but Then you don't have to condemn or insult the graduates. If you condemn the product, will the product change except the process and company manufacturing th product change. Liken the process to university and company to the government. So the government has got to change the process. The graduates can do less. That refers me to your post where you say that you see graduates "carrying folder up and down". Thats not a good speech

I suspect say u carry files wella lol, no offence...may not be a good speech but e dey pain me. I am not blaming the person carrying the file, but the routine. I see Mds pay huge amout to some unknown foreigners who might be ediots in there own countries just bc, of how they carry themselves. Well, God help us the govt put our youths in the right direction so that, they will have some values. I think the university is the place to tackle.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Coldfeet(f): 2:06pm On Jul 15, 2017
Explorers:

Some scientist are with and some are against the fact that this can lead to rise in sea level after melting.

They claimed that the break off has claimed 10% of the ice shelf and that can hasten more glacial flowing into the ocean.

But to me personally, i believe that this can cause the ocean level to rise.

Just like filling a bucket with water, then drop 5kg of ice into it.

Its going to spill now abi

Pictured is what normal iceberg looks like, its floating and about 80% of the mass is underwater.

Now imagine something that's over over a trillion-tonne, 5800km2
Omg. lipsrsealed

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Coldfeet(f): 2:06pm On Jul 15, 2017
Pilate2016:
Coastal regions all over the world should be at alert. Oh Lekki! Ordinary rainfall and you were flooded. I pray your residents get sense and emulate Noah.
God help us.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Ugosample(m): 2:11pm On Jul 15, 2017
ednut1:
There has been different climate changes eg ice age without human emissions. I am with Trump on this global warming thing, would stopping emmisions turn the tide of the so called global warming. Nothing bt propaganda abeg

What us this one saying?
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by adajoe555: 2:14pm On Jul 15, 2017
this will really pose a great harm to the coastal areas and it meant be felt world wide

another flood,, the global warming is increasing each and every day because of the harmful gases being released to the air
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by megafone: 2:24pm On Jul 15, 2017
By Archimedes principles, clearly, water levels will increase as ice melts.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Agumbankembu: 2:29pm On Jul 15, 2017
NtoAkwaIbom:

It means also that the world will soon leave fosil fuel sooner than before, it means that with 99% reliance on fossil fuel... we are furkedd

. Etteh

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by DrayZee: 2:35pm On Jul 15, 2017
Xda59:

This not like your physics bucket and ice experiment where there is no dry land involved.
The conclusion remains valid. The water level will not rise neither in the ice and bucket experiment nor in the case of polar ice caps.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by DrayZee: 2:39pm On Jul 15, 2017
NickD:

U have a valid argument on that based on displacement theory or should I say upthrust in Physics. Nice perspective I actually haven't looked at it from this angle but then it means when there is a massive wave there would be more water in the sea that would cause more destruction so in the end it's still the same result of more flooding to those coastal towns that's the argument.
Yh there will be more water in the search. But the main thing here is the water/ sea level with respect to land. If it remains the same or even reduces due to melting, then flooding might not really occur.
That's why the surface of the earth contains so much water that should even spill over and flood all land...but it doesn't. The water level is the main thing.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by NickD(m): 2:42pm On Jul 15, 2017
DrayZee:

Yh there will be more water in the search. But the main thing here is the water/ sea level with respect to land. If it remains the same or even reduces due to melting, then flooding might not really occur.
That's why the surface of the earth contains so much water that should even spill over and flood all land...but it doesn't. The water level is the main thing.
https://www.skepticalscience.com/Sea-level-rise-due-to-floating-ice.html check that out.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jul 15, 2017
Explorers:
Despite a recent trend of disbelief toward global warming, Mother Nature has just made herself clear.

A giant, trillion-tonne iceberg hasjust broken away from Antarctic ice shelf, and it’s an alarm we should all be heeding.

The iceberg, which has an area of roughly 4 times the size of London at 5800 km2, was part of an ice sheet known as Larsen C.

Researchers at Swansea University had been watching the glacial divide for months, and using satellite imaging, they were able to determine that the iceberg ‘calved’ (broke away) from Antarctica sometime between July 10th and 12th.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/12/world/larsen-c-antarctica/index.html

http://www.boredpanda.com/trillion-ton-iceberg-broke-off-antarctica/

Man is still unsure of what's going on.

For now global warming remains a mystery n a scam.

Till we have clear evidence, it remains so.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by DrayZee: 2:44pm On Jul 15, 2017
QueenBeeQBQ:

I think you're both right... It will definitely overspill, just not as much as Explorers estimated.
Now, according to my estimation, it's the 20% that has always been above the water level, that's going to overspill. Therefore, using the example of the bucket and the 5kg iceblock, it's only 1kg will actually overspill. Since the initial 80%(4kg), was already in the water...

Yeah I know, I can calculate for Africa. Appreciate by checking out my signature...
Ok NickD . This is the main stuff right here. She got it exactly. The sea level WILL increase, but only in relation to the percentage of the ice cap that was/is above the water.
I thought of it, but I didn't really want to pursue the matter any further.

And madam...Wehdone.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Luciferdevil(m): 2:45pm On Jul 15, 2017
NothingDoMe:
Fear nor gree me like your post because of your moniker shocked
Lol baba leave moniker jare, devil is harmless until provoked.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by NairaEffect(m): 2:46pm On Jul 15, 2017
Luciferdevil:
And I was thinking of travelling to Europe with my private jet tomorrow or next chaiii.

See this one... Dem tell you say the iceberg block runway? undecided
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by NickD(m): 2:50pm On Jul 15, 2017
DrayZee:

Ok NickD . This is the main stuff right here. She got it exactly. The sea level WILL increase, but only in relation to the percentage of the ice cap that was/is above the water.
I thought of it, but I didn't really want to pursue the matter any further.

And madam...wehdon.
Yh very true. QueenbeeQbQ I hail thee wehdone.

1 Like

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by ernieboy(m): 3:04pm On Jul 15, 2017
sirfee:
The global warming thingy is real,I dont really know why Trump is against it.
trump is against it for economic reasons like all greedy businessmen, he wants to revive the coal industry.

1 Like

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by ernieboy(m): 3:06pm On Jul 15, 2017
oldfoolnigger:
while scientists from other part of the world are busy carrying out research and monitoring what's happening in the world, our own dear scientists are busy carrying about long long files roaming our street looking for with collar jobs.
which scientists? mention 2 prominent scientists u know in the country.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by ernieboy(m): 3:10pm On Jul 15, 2017
careytommy7:
LOl... I find it amazing some of you still believe this global warming crap.
if u have any empirical evidence that proves otherwise why not let us know instead of parroting this ignorant deception that has been conclusively disproved by scientist. global warming is real and there are empirical evidences to prove it, his to slow it down is the difficult issue.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Nobody: 3:18pm On Jul 15, 2017
sirfee:

Trump is against it because he said it doesn't represent America's interest.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Pylony(m): 3:20pm On Jul 15, 2017
Chaii see free Land flowing on water grin.. I thought the American government over the years have refuse to agree over the threats of Global warning on the Planet? Now they can see how Mother nature is angry.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Crixina(f): 3:27pm On Jul 15, 2017
Explorers:

Some scientist are with and some are against the fact that this can lead to rise in sea level after melting.

They claimed that the break off has claimed 10% of the ice shelf and that can hasten more glacial flowing into the ocean.

But to me personally, i believe that this can cause the ocean level to rise.

Just like filling a bucket with water, then drop 5kg of ice into it.

Its going to spill now abi

Pictured is what normal iceberg looks like, its floating and about 80% of the mass is underwater.

Now imagine something that's over over a trillion-tonne, 5800km2
Your moniker fits!
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Nobody: 3:42pm On Jul 15, 2017
I'm curious. How long will it take an iceberg of this size to melt??
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by paBuhari(m): 4:33pm On Jul 15, 2017
Which one is global warming The breakage of antatic ice is due to movement of earth crust deep beneath the ground. Nothing like global warming.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by paBuhari(m): 4:40pm On Jul 15, 2017
ednut1:
There has been different climate changes eg ice age without human emissions. I am with Trump on this global warming thing, would stopping emmisions turn the tide of the so called global warming. Nothing bt propaganda abeg
Exactly. The claim that humans cause global warming through emissions of green houses gases is the greatest lie invented by man. One of the globalist grand design to wipe out more than half of the world's population under the fibble excuse of global warming. If at all the temperature of the earth is rising, it will be due to solar atmospheric emissions from the sun deep in outer space, not human activities.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Ejomax77(m): 5:04pm On Jul 15, 2017
Explorers:
Due to the rapid rising of temperatures in West Antarctica, ice shelves are becoming more fragile than ever.

Not only does this massive iceberg pose a security risk to maritime traffic, its separation could cause glaciers stabilized by Larsen C to drift into the Atlantic Ocean and melt, which could raise the global water mark by 10 centimeters.
Do you think this increase in global water level will lead to a significant change worldwide?
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by sunnyeinstein(m): 5:19pm On Jul 15, 2017
Ajewealth123:
O ga o.
What harm does this pose?

Modified, thanks for all that contributed.
So una mean say places like lekki,banana island,vi,ikoyi,elegushi water go just throway all of them?

Yes oo, dats d implication. Everyone living by the atlantic ocean is in trouble... and that's lagos!
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by toprealman: 5:25pm On Jul 15, 2017
Stand up countries will use this info to their advantage meanwhile our naija government got no single clue what this is about.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by KingGBsky(m): 5:40pm On Jul 15, 2017
sirfee:

Trump get sense?
The man is such a bull...and to think that I supported him.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Please How Can I Get My Original GCE Certificate / A Female Nigerian Student's Luxurious Room Leaves People Astonished / The Library Emeka Offor Is Building In Daura Is 98% Completed (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.