Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,843 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:27 AM

Stop Calling Me Matthew If You Dont Want To See My Red Eye – Obasanjo Warns - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Stop Calling Me Matthew If You Dont Want To See My Red Eye – Obasanjo Warns (1076 Views)

Stop Calling Us NEPA, It Shows You Don’t Want Electricity - Discos Spokesperson / Those Calling Me Baba Go Slow Will Be Shocked In My Second Term - Buhari / What I Will Do To El-rufai For Calling Me ‘tribal Bigot’- Peter Obi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stop Calling Me Matthew If You Dont Want To See My Red Eye – Obasanjo Warns by emmy3k(m): 3:17pm On Jul 15, 2017
Para Mode!! Anybody Who Does Not Want To See My Red Eyes Should Stop Calling Me Matthew – Obasanjo Warns
.ng Jul 15, 2017 1:00 PM

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has officially denounced his Christian name, Matthew, Leadership reports.

Obasanjo said he should no more be called by it because he is not a tax collector like his biblical namesake.

Accordingly, he adopted only Olusegun Okikiola Aremu as his names, stressing that names have lots of connotations in African setting.

The former president went on to say anybody who does not want to see his (Obasanjo’s) eyes red should stop calling him Matthew.

He stated this in Abuja on Friday, July 14 at an event organised by the Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE) in commemoration of his 80th birthday. Obasanjo clocked 80 years in March.

His words: “When I was born in my part of Nigeria, the system was that after eight days, you must be given a name and for people to know that you were born into a Christian family, you will be given one Hebrew name.

“My mother and father decided to name me Matthew but when I grew up, I started asking myself the meaning of Matthew.

“Not only does it not have meaning as long as I am concerned, the biblical Matthew is a stupid tax collector. Anybody who does not want to see my eyes red should stop calling me Matthew.”

He commended the NSE presidential system of election and governance, wishing that it could be introduced into Nigerian politics.

Also speaking, the president of NSE, Engineer Oliver Tagbo Anyaeji noted that Obasanjo successfully initiated and pioneered the establishment of an engineering and technology university (Bells) as well as the state-of-art presidential library in Ota, Ogun state, which considered as first of its kind in Africa.

“While it will be pretty difficult to bring to the fore all the achievements of this world acclaimed achiever, I wish to mention that President Obasanjo initiated the National Integrated Power Project (NIPP)in 2005 and directed by policy that Nigerian engineering firms must get at least 25 percent of exhausted project scope,” he stated.

Abubakar made the comment in her address in Kano on Friday, July 14, at a stakeholders meeting on “Buy Made-in- Nigeria Products” organised by her ministry in collaboration with the federal ministry of information and culture.
Re: Stop Calling Me Matthew If You Dont Want To See My Red Eye – Obasanjo Warns by Nobody: 3:21pm On Jul 15, 2017
You lived up to that name to an extent. As once the President Of The Federal Republic Of Nigeria...Citizens paid Taxes to the Federal Government and you lived on those Taxes, so invariably you were a tax collector.

1 Like

Re: Stop Calling Me Matthew If You Dont Want To See My Red Eye – Obasanjo Warns by IamLovely: 3:25pm On Jul 15, 2017
never knew he has a Christian until this post.
Re: Stop Calling Me Matthew If You Dont Want To See My Red Eye – Obasanjo Warns by lazsnaira(m): 3:25pm On Jul 15, 2017
SOURCE
Re: Stop Calling Me Matthew If You Dont Want To See My Red Eye – Obasanjo Warns by ZorGBUooeh: 3:26pm On Jul 15, 2017
Ok matthew.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Calling Me Matthew If You Dont Want To See My Red Eye – Obasanjo Warns by TheTrueSeeker: 3:27pm On Jul 15, 2017
There are different reasons why someone's eyes could turn red....!!! Perhaps he may start crying.

Meanwhile, is OBJ indirectly going against what his parents chose to call him cos he ignorantly equate the name to a tax collector?

Though a Tax Collector but the Matthew in Bible was chosen by Jesus in spite of the plenty 'good names' around at the time. So you see, its not about the name, its about the perception of the name bearer

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Stop Calling Me Matthew If You Dont Want To See My Red Eye – Obasanjo Warns by conductor11: 3:29pm On Jul 15, 2017
Afonja and odd news.
Re: Stop Calling Me Matthew If You Dont Want To See My Red Eye – Obasanjo Warns by internationalman(m): 3:44pm On Jul 15, 2017
Ur red eyes couldn't b any worse than ur ugly face we have had to put up with in years. Red eyes ko yellow eyes ni
Re: Stop Calling Me Matthew If You Dont Want To See My Red Eye – Obasanjo Warns by PenSniper: 3:52pm On Jul 15, 2017
Has he just woken up after all these years ? He used the name all his life but now think of rejecting it when he is a quarter to the grave.
See the man who called himself a born again when he providently came out of Abacha's gulag with a long neck.

(1) (Reply)

Trimp And Putin Arrives Abia State To Discuss Biafra With Nnamdi Kanu / Nnamdi Kanu Negociated Foreign Countries With Oil Of South South For Biafra! / JUST IN: Senate Wants INEC To Conduct Local Govt Elections

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.