Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,918 members, 7,835,065 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:58 AM

When Did The Old Covenant End? - Paul Ellis - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / When Did The Old Covenant End? - Paul Ellis (8037 Views)

If You Are Still Under The Law/Old Covenant, You Have ZERO Hope In Christ / What If I Disappoint God? - Paul Ellis / Does God Scourge Us? 7 Reasons To Say No!! - Paul Ellis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Did The Old Covenant End? - Paul Ellis by Nobody: 7:54am On Jul 16, 2017
Re: When Did The Old Covenant End? - Paul Ellis by NOETHNICITY(m): 7:54am On Jul 16, 2017
tobyemmanuel:

Tithe is an act of giving. Regardless of the 10 percent thing. It is the responsibility of the believers to give not only to the church but also to the needy. You can pay more than 10 percent. It depends on you. Read acts of apostles, see how believers then gave their things and even sold their possessions.
barcaboi, didn't say it's bad to giv
he only talked double standard behavior of Christians, such that they delightfully tell u the Old Testament has been done with, but they tenaciously cling on to the title doctrine backing it up with quotes from the Old Testament

1 Like

Re: When Did The Old Covenant End? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 8:12am On Jul 16, 2017
debbycreamy:
op I understand ur point buh we r using both laws just that d new law tells us more about His abundant grace

Go to church nairalanders
We don't use both laws. Christ was the end of the law. Any Christian that still use old testament law is under the curse... Read Deuteronomy.
Re: When Did The Old Covenant End? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 8:13am On Jul 16, 2017
damosky12:
The new testament came alive after Jesus' death. The blood was to be shed.

Hebrews 9:13 For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh: 9:14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God? 9:15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance. 9:16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator. 9:17 For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.
You correct bro!!
Re: When Did The Old Covenant End? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 8:15am On Jul 16, 2017
Etogist:
Op, since the old covenant is all about the laws of God are you implying we should start breaking those laws because according to you Christ has rendered the old covenant useless?
Does grace means we can now start breaking the laws of God?
Please explain in plain terms.
Did u read the post at all? Go and read the book of Romans & Galatians to know what it means to be in Christ... It is either Christ or nothing... He is the ultimate.
Re: When Did The Old Covenant End? - Paul Ellis by KAYD007(m): 8:34am On Jul 16, 2017
You said the old covenant was based on how God related to the nation of Israel.

My question then is.... why would God relate to the nation of Israel only excluding the well being of other nations?

Like the Genesis God was only meant for Israel. One would then conclude that the God as potrayed in the old testament is a tribal god that was made to look universal.

The issue of old and new covenant shows the biblical God as unstable that's to say he is a changeable God.

1 Like

Re: When Did The Old Covenant End? - Paul Ellis by SWYM(m): 8:36am On Jul 16, 2017
KAYD007:
You said the old covenant was based on how God related to the nation of Israel.

My question then is.... why would God relate to the nation of Israel only excluding the well being of other nations?

Like the Genesis God was only meant for Israel. One would then conclude that the God as potrayed in the old testament is a tribal god that was made to look universal.

The issue of old and new covenant shows the biblical God as unstable that's to say he is a changeable God.

People won't brake because of this
They will brake when they find equally opposing and stronger evidences
Read my previous quote on this topic
Re: When Did The Old Covenant End? - Paul Ellis by toffy333(m): 8:42am On Jul 16, 2017
Every Sunday na so so argument between christians.

Hehe make i follow this small boy laugh jari

Re: When Did The Old Covenant End? - Paul Ellis by greatermax77(m): 8:51am On Jul 16, 2017
musawisdom:
Matthew 5:17 (BBE) Let there be no thought that I have come to put an end to the law or the prophets. I have not come for destruction, but to make complete

May be you didn't read the above bible verse. If the above bible verse is correct, why will you say one law is old and the other new?
In this verse Christ was talking in parebles
Re: When Did The Old Covenant End? - Paul Ellis by Nobody: 8:52am On Jul 16, 2017
Utter BS. Jesus himself said I did not come to CHANGE the LAW or the prophets, but come to fulfill them. The law is the word of God as stated in Joshua 1:8, 2nd Maccabees 3:48.so please stop peddling your pentecostal crap as if God is some software who updates himself based on human demands.

1 Like

Re: When Did The Old Covenant End? - Paul Ellis by Broderick555: 9:06am On Jul 16, 2017
Matthew 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Re: When Did The Old Covenant End? - Paul Ellis by Broderick555: 9:08am On Jul 16, 2017
Matthew 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

1 Like

Re: When Did The Old Covenant End? - Paul Ellis by Broderick555: 9:09am On Jul 16, 2017
Matthew 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

1 Like

Re: When Did The Old Covenant End? - Paul Ellis by Broderick555: 9:15am On Jul 16, 2017
Matthew 5:21 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment: 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire. 5:23 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee; 5:27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. 5:31 It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement: 5:32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery. 5:33 Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths:
Re: When Did The Old Covenant End? - Paul Ellis by Broderick555: 9:18am On Jul 16, 2017
Matthew 5:34 But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne: 5:35 Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King. 5:36 Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black. 5:37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil. 5:38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: 5:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. 5:40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also. 5:41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain. 5:43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
Re: When Did The Old Covenant End? - Paul Ellis by uvalued(m): 9:19am On Jul 16, 2017
@jiggaz do you pray in tongue as well?
Re: When Did The Old Covenant End? - Paul Ellis by Broderick555: 9:27am On Jul 16, 2017
Matthew 5:40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also. 5:41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain. 5:42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away. 5:43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; 5:45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. 5:46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same? 5:47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so? 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect. 7:24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: 7:25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock. 7:26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: 7:27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
Re: When Did The Old Covenant End? - Paul Ellis by ekdee: 9:30am On Jul 16, 2017
This is no blasphemy at all. It's actually revealing to as many that are still groping in darkness of self-righteous that it is no more needed. Just accept Christ into your life as your Lord and Savior and He will clothe you with His righteousness, there and then, you start living a stress-free godly life.
When you become conscious of God's presence in your life, you will become less sin conscious. That is how this thing works in reverse order.

1 Like

Re: When Did The Old Covenant End? - Paul Ellis by openmine(m): 9:40am On Jul 16, 2017
Bidobado:
Utter BS. Jesus himself said I did not come to CHANGE the LAW or the prophets, but come to fulfill them. The law is the word of God as stated in Joshua 1:8, 2nd Maccabees 3:48.so please stop peddling your pentecostal crap as if God is some software who updates himself based on human demands.

Hebrews 7:18-19
18 The old rule is now ended because it was weak and worthless. 19 The Law of Moses could not make anything perfect. But now a better hope has been given to us. And with that hope we can come near to God.

Hebrews 7:11-12
11 If perfection could have been attained through the Levitical priesthood—and indeed the law given to the people established that priesthood—why was there still need for another priest to come, one in the order of Melchizedek, not in the order of Aaron? 12 For when the priesthood is changed, the law must be changed also.

Galatians 3:23-25
23 Before the coming of this faith,[j] we were held in custody under the law, locked up until the faith that was to come would be revealed. 24 So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith. 25 Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.

Ephesians 2:11-18
11 Therefore, remember that formerly you who are Gentiles by birth and called “uncircumcised” by those who call themselves “the
circumcision” (which is done in the body by human hands)— 12 remember that at that time you were separate from Christ, excluded from citizenship in Israel and foreigners to the covenants of the promise, without hope and without God in the world. 13 But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near by the blood of Christ.

14 For he himself is our peace, who has made the two groups one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, 15 by setting aside in his flesh the law with its commands and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new humanity out of the two, thus making peace, 16 and in one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility. 17 He came and preached peace to you who were far away and peace to those who were near. 18 For through him we both have access to the Father by one Spirit.

19 Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and strangers, but fellow citizens with God’s people and also members of his household,

Read the entire hebrews 8 and 9 to understand the total context of the abolition of the law of moses

But Just bear in mind that without the abolition of the law,you and i would never have been called believers...

without the abolition of the law,you will be physically circumcised to become a law abider..

without the abolition,you will still be referred to as an idol worshipper and much more....

If indeed the law of moses is still relevant,why are SOME LAWS only relevant and the rest thrown out?

Isnt the law of moses meant to be wholistic?

Do U still give offerings of the blood of goats and sheeps...cos thats what the law requires??

If indeed the law of moses is still relevant,then the death and Resurrection of christ was in vain...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Did The Old Covenant End? - Paul Ellis by Etogist: 10:00am On Jul 16, 2017
jiggaz:
Did u read the post at all? Go and read the book of Romans & Galatians to know what it means to be in Christ... It is either Christ or nothing... He is the ultimate.

Stop ranting if you can't answer my question. So, Christ to you means lawlessness. Your kind need somebody that will give then green light to sin. You're quoting Romans and Galatians , I bet you in the last days even Paul will deny you because Paul was an observant of law till the end. You can read Acts 21:18-39, Acts 24:10-16 to confirm.
Re: When Did The Old Covenant End? - Paul Ellis by Nobody: 10:54am On Jul 16, 2017
ItalianWine:
I don't understand. So what should we do, pastor?

Add summary too next time.
undecided

grin

Meanwhile, Send SMS at http://angelbulksms.com for fast delivery.
Re: When Did The Old Covenant End? - Paul Ellis by Mavrick2012: 10:55am On Jul 16, 2017
tobyemmanuel:

Tithe is an act of giving. Regardless of the 10 percent thing. It is the responsibility of the believers to give not only to the church but also to the needy. You can pay more than 10 percent. It depends on you. Read acts of apostles, see how believers then gave their things and even sold their possessions.
Sir, YOU LIED.
Tithe is NOT any other kind of giving, it is a kind of giving where you are told to give 1/10 of your hard earned income, REGARDLESS OF YOUR FINANCIAL CHALLENGES.
the last sentence makes tithe wicked and dubious.
A dying poor woman is expectedu to pay tithe to a financially buoyant spiv who in turn uses the money to leave a flamboyant live in the face of the poor majority.
PATHETIC!!!

1 Like

Re: When Did The Old Covenant End? - Paul Ellis by sirfee(m): 10:59am On Jul 16, 2017
Mavrick2012:
Double standard is when you abandoned everything in old covenant but hold unto TITHE.
grin Thank you for this post.

1 Like

Re: When Did The Old Covenant End? - Paul Ellis by Broderick555: 11:39am On Jul 16, 2017
1 John 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 2:7 Brethren, I write no new commandment unto you, but an old commandment which ye had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which ye have heard from the beginning.
dey there dey deceive unah selves with grace
Re: When Did The Old Covenant End? - Paul Ellis by successinlife: 11:42am On Jul 16, 2017
bibiking7:

If the old covenant is obsolete, why is it still being used and quoted occasionally. Why don't we just forget about it?

If you understand BC & AC then you should know that both talks about the same thing. Before Christ and After Christ.There is no before without after and there is no after without before this is the basis of history.If a child is born,the child must have his source i;e what happened before his birth and what happened after his birth and life.
Re: When Did The Old Covenant End? - Paul Ellis by SLOVFO(m): 11:44am On Jul 16, 2017
Broderick555:
Matthew 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
The law wasn't discarded but fulfilled. The righteous requirements of the law was paid in full by Christ. And on the cross he said, " It is finished ". He freed us from bondage to the law and all it's stringent and impossible demands.

If Christ paid and fulfill the law, then it will be useless and an affront on Christ for Christains to seek justification by the law.

I am not saying the the law is useless. No. The law can actually serve as a guide to those who are not living by the spirit. But serving or living by the law can't justify or make you righteous before God.

Using the law as a moral code is fine(but impossible to keep without the spirit) But using it will not get you to heaven.

Romans 3:20 - Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;

22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

1 Like

Re: When Did The Old Covenant End? - Paul Ellis by Broderick555: 11:45am On Jul 16, 2017
Revelation 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.
Re: When Did The Old Covenant End? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 11:49am On Jul 16, 2017
uvalued:
@jiggaz do you pray in tongue as well?
Yes i do.
Re: When Did The Old Covenant End? - Paul Ellis by Broderick555: 11:51am On Jul 16, 2017
Mark 10:17 And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life? 10:18 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God. 10:19 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother. 10:20 And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed from my youth.
Re: When Did The Old Covenant End? - Paul Ellis by Broderick555: 11:52am On Jul 16, 2017
If u form grace go sleep wit pipo wives nah u know
Re: When Did The Old Covenant End? - Paul Ellis by SLOVFO(m): 12:06pm On Jul 16, 2017
Broderick555:
If u form grace go sleep wit pipo wives nah u know

Living under grace does not equal lawlessness. As a matter of fact the law of the Spirit is even more thorough and powerful than the mosaic laws.
Romans 6:14 - For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I'm Fed UP!! I Want To Start A Church! Who Is With Me? / I Want To Convert To A Muslim / How To Worship Goddess Artemis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.