Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,463 members, 7,954,815 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 10:00 AM

"My Husband's House" - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / "My Husband's House" (4338 Views)

Wife Sets Her Husband's House On Fire In Birnin-Kebbi For Wanting Another Wife / I Am Turning Into A Tenant In My Husband's House / "I Was Shocked When I Got To My Husband's House The First Time" - Lady Reveals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

"My Husband's House" by PDPGuy: 9:30pm On Jul 15, 2017
Why do most (if not all) Nigerian women refer to the house where she and her husband live in as "my husband's house"?

Shouldn't it be referred to instead as "our house"? I thought both husband and wife become one when they tie the knot.

Even if it was the man who bought the house 100% with his own funds before getting married, there should be no fuss in referring to the couple's home as "our house".

5 Likes

Re: "My Husband's House" by Babysnow1: 9:40pm On Jul 15, 2017
Hmmmm
True it should be our house
But you know in our society
Men is the big fish of the family
And it seem the word my husband house has been in existence before our time grin

So for me it's normal
Our house and my husband house no difference there
As far say we dey the same house tongue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "My Husband's House" by Nobody: 9:41pm On Jul 15, 2017
IT is because the husband is the head of the family and like a king in a kingdom, the queen will say my husband's kingdom or my husband's throne, for the fact that they are married makes no different, because tradition demands respect from the wife to the husband. The house might even belong to the woman but as long as they are married, she will say my husband's house based on respect and tradition.

3 Likes

Re: "My Husband's House" by xynerise: 9:49pm On Jul 15, 2017
Is this supposed to be an issue?

1 Like

Re: "My Husband's House" by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jul 15, 2017
It's the same way most Nigerian men call it my house, and threaten to throw women back to her father's house at the slightest misunderstanding. Women have finally realised (probably by experience) that it's the man's house _here in Nigeria. So, it's his house cheesy.

You don't want the house again, PDPguy?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: "My Husband's House" by PDPGuy: 10:17pm On Jul 15, 2017
PaperLace:
It's the same way most Nigerian men call it my house, and threaten to throw women back to her father's house at the slightest misunderstanding. Women have finally realised (probably by experience) that it's the man's house _here in Nigeria. So, it's his house cheesy.

You don't want the house again, PDPguy?

Of course, I love my house. But I wouldn't mind if the house is called "our house". It won't make me less of a husband

5 Likes

Re: "My Husband's House" by cococandy(f): 2:25am On Jul 16, 2017
PDPGuy:

Of course, I love my house. But I wouldn't mind if the house is called "our house". It won't make me less of a husband
Lol. Aren't you the 1 in a 100 who thinks this way.
Good for you. Keep it up.

9 Likes

Re: "My Husband's House" by Nobody: 6:39am On Jul 16, 2017
PDPGuy:

Just as you noticed most women call it her husband's house, lots of Nigerian men also believe it's his house alone. The house belongs to the man, the kitchen (only) belongs to the woman cheesy

Such women are only acting out the norm, for some others _ it's reflex.
Re: "My Husband's House" by Nobody: 9:13am On Jul 16, 2017
PDPGuy:

It's because Nigeria is a backwards patriarchal society. You're no longer living in the zoo, so you can see clearly now.

4 Likes

Re: "My Husband's House" by PDPGuy: 2:27pm On Jul 16, 2017
PaperLace:

Just as you noticed most women call it her husband's house, lots of Nigerian men also believe it's his house alone. The house belongs to the man, the kitchen (only) belongs to the woman cheesy

Such women are only acting out the norm, for some others _ it's reflex.
Make dem construct the kitchen separately from the rest of the house, just like the boys quarter cheesy
Re: "My Husband's House" by Lollipop247(f): 2:51pm On Jul 16, 2017
It's the husbands house, rented/ built with his money. The wife can't claim what's not hers. It's just like a husband buying a car in his name & giving his wife the car to ride. The wife will say 'it's my husbands car' unless it's in her name. If Gbege happen, the husband go pursue the wife Comot 4 him house & collect him car.

1 Like

Re: "My Husband's House" by Caustics: 3:02pm On Jul 16, 2017
Lollipop247:
It's the husbands house, rented/ built with his money. The wife can't claim what's not hers. It's just like a husband buying a car in his name & giving his wife the car to ride. The wife will say 'it's my husbands car' unless it's in her name. If Gbege happen, the husband go pursue the wife Comot 4 him house & collect him car.
why are you wicked like this? Is your husband mean to you?

7 Likes

Re: "My Husband's House" by Nobody: 4:20pm On Jul 16, 2017
PDPGuy:

So guys like you exist? Your parents did a good job bro

4 Likes

Re: "My Husband's House" by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jul 16, 2017
Lollipop247:

Must you comment? .

So will you call your kids "My.husband's children" because they bear his name, they're not yours as you have no right of ownership by virtue of name *spits*

9 Likes

Re: "My Husband's House" by thorpido(m): 4:36pm On Jul 16, 2017
Only if she came into the house with a hand luggage.

Nowadays,ladies are saying 'our house'.

3 Likes

Re: "My Husband's House" by lilmax(m): 4:43pm On Jul 16, 2017
so she didn't drop a dime and she wants it referred "our house ".... Abeg guy go sleep.....

why you are trying to be a "save the women guy" and at the same time lacking common sense is what I don't get

3 Likes

Re: "My Husband's House" by PDPGuy: 5:28pm On Jul 16, 2017
lilmax:
so she didn't drop a dime and she wants it referred "our house ".... Abeg guy go sleep.....

why you are trying to be a "save the women guy" and at the same time lacking common sense is what I don't get
Lol
No be "save the women" matter. As you said, na common sense.
Even if Linda Ikeji gets married and she and her spouse move into her Banana island mansion, I believe it should still be referred to as "their house" instead of Linda Ikeji's house.

After all, both the religious and traditionalist folks believe that when two people get married, they become one.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "My Husband's House" by Exponental(m): 6:06pm On Jul 16, 2017
Oooooh!!! So the house belongs to the husband but the kitchen is the wife's!!!! How come?
Re: "My Husband's House" by jnrbayano(m): 9:23pm On Jul 16, 2017
PDPGuy:
Why do most (if not all) Nigerian women refer to the house where she and her husband live in as "my husband's house"?

Shouldn't it be referred to instead as "our house"? I thought both husband and wife become one when they tie the knot.

Even if it was the man who bought the house 100% with his own funds before getting married, there should be no fuss in referring to the couple's home as "our house".

After I marry, it will be right if I cease personalizing the house where we live. It becomes not just "our house" rather "our home"

Should I have other properties (houses) I rented/leased out, my wife would be correct if she refers to those properties as "my houses"

There shouldn't be any mix up.

2 Likes

Re: "My Husband's House" by PDPGuy: 7:54pm On Jul 18, 2017
jnrbayano:

After I marry, it will be right if I cease personalizing the house where we live. It becomes not just "our house" rather "our home"

Should I have other properties (houses) I rented/leased out, my wife would be correct if she refers to those properties as "my houses"

There shouldn't be any mix up.

You get it cool
Re: "My Husband's House" by Saintmary(f): 8:36pm On Jul 18, 2017
Women refer to houses as such because the men are not emphasizing the joint ownership of the house. Well, ladies should look well before leaping.

3 Likes

Re: "My Husband's House" by Amhappy(f): 4:44pm On Jul 19, 2017
Because for most Nigerian men,they are the owner of the house. The wife is just a little bit above a tenant who can be thrown out at any time. Wife ownership start at the man's demise. This is more reason why more women are hustling and selfish with their money.

1 Like

Re: "My Husband's House" by Nobody: 11:03pm On Jul 19, 2017
lilmax:

Ladies beware!
Re: "My Husband's House" by PDPGuy: 7:19pm On Aug 12, 2017
iamloyalty:

Ladies beware!
cool
Re: "My Husband's House" by Nobody: 7:46pm On Aug 12, 2017
PDPGuy:

cool

Don't get too anxious. I just want something simple

Re: "My Husband's House" by PDPGuy: 7:58pm On Aug 12, 2017
FortuneTeller:

Don't get too anxious. I just want something simple
It can't cost less than $1.5 million in CA; which means that we will have to come up with a $300k down payment.
Re: "My Husband's House" by Nobody: 8:03pm On Aug 12, 2017
PDPGuy:

It can't cost less than $1.5 million in CA; which means that we will have to come up with a $300k down payment.

That 300k would pay for 80% of the cost in my location. So "we" can easily become "I".
Re: "My Husband's House" by PDPGuy: 9:22pm On Aug 12, 2017
tongue
Re: "My Husband's House" by byvan03: 9:26pm On Aug 12, 2017
That has always sounded silly to me.

3 Likes

Re: "My Husband's House" by PDPGuy: 11:55am On Aug 18, 2017
byvan03:
That has always sounded silly to me.
cool

1 Like

Re: "My Husband's House" by Berbierklaus(f): 8:32pm On Aug 18, 2017
My best friend won't take it likely with you if you use the term "your husband's house" for her grin

I always wonder why she gets angry,now I know better cool
Re: "My Husband's House" by SmileDance(f): 12:37pm On Apr 30, 2022
Amhappy:
Because for most Nigerian men,they are the owner of the house. The wife is just a little bit above a tenant who can be thrown out at any time. Wife ownership start at the man's demise. This is more reason why more women are hustling and selfish with their money.
wife is not in anyway above tenant. You gets give your tenants quit notice if you wan chase them but a wife can be chased away by her brother in-law sef

(1) (2) (Reply)

See the list I was given before I can fence up a land property / Please And Please, I Need Food Stuffs To Survive This Lockdown / My Baby Is Not Walking Yet.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.