Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,085 members, 7,821,745 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:45 PM

My Maid - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Maid (4845 Views)

My 18-Year-Old Maid And Her Boyfriends / Couple Ignore Their Maid At A Restaurant, Angry Nigerians React (Photos) / I Caught My Husband Sucking My Niece’s Breast, Sleeping With Our Maid -wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Maid by richyblink1(m): 11:55am On Jul 16, 2017
We recently got a maid to assist with the kids. She arrived on Thursday, so she is barely 3 days with us.
She claimed to have been in the village all her life and has never been to any city, state or whatsoever. That a trip to PH is her first journey away from home. She equally said she stopped schooling at ss3.

This morning while doing her morning chores, I overheard her singing west life's song back to back with queens English. I kept mute till she started singing John legend's "ALL OF ME" throughly without missing a word. What got me was how she pronounces the wordings with a British intonation.

Should I be worried? Especially as I barely know her. She was brought to me by a friend who her elder sister has stayed with for 5 years and counting without issues

3 Likes

Re: My Maid by Loyalblak007(f): 12:00pm On Jul 16, 2017
With Queens English you say!?...
Believe at your peril
Re: My Maid by Nutase: 12:01pm On Jul 16, 2017
Please take out time and go to her village with her at least to meet her parents and confirm her true identity.

5 Likes

Re: My Maid by FirstCounsel(m): 12:03pm On Jul 16, 2017
The red flag is up bro. Be circumspect, be vigilant....

2 Likes

Re: My Maid by richyblink1(m): 12:05pm On Jul 16, 2017
Loyalblak007:
With Queens English you say!?...

Believe at your peril

My sister, I am trying not to be in a haste to judge her as I am yet to see any tangible reason to.

I have a family relative who stopped schooling at ss3, but is very eloquent in speaking. So I belive there might be people like that hence my questions.

Secondly, I am not a maid person reason why I am trying to find out from experienced folks in the house

3 Likes

Re: My Maid by richyblink1(m): 12:07pm On Jul 16, 2017
Nutase:
Please take out time and go to her village with her at least to meet her parents and confirm her true identity.

She is from Plateau state, so the distance will require proper planning which I will surely do.

Many thanks. Will need to plan that ASAP

1 Like

Re: My Maid by elantraceey(f): 12:12pm On Jul 16, 2017
She stayed in the village doesn't mean that she's an illiterate, you mentioned she went to school up till ss3, village these days are getting urbanized by the day so you shouldn't be surprised if she could sing those song, she went to school!

If you still have doubts, go her village and meet her family, you can also visit her previous school to see things for yourself.

Me I'm not in support of having maids though.

17 Likes

Re: My Maid by richyblink1(m): 12:12pm On Jul 16, 2017
FirstCounsel:
The red flag is up bro. Be circumspect, be vigilant....

I am over vigilant bro. The first experience I have with maid is terrible. The babe came to my house with a dead baby in her womb that she tried getting rid of natively.
Na God save me because she bled all through her stay in my house holding her tummy with severe pains.

The funniest thing is that she told no one till wifey found out and took her to her doctor.
Re: My Maid by richyblink1(m): 12:15pm On Jul 16, 2017
elantraceey:
She stayed in the village doesn't mean that she's an illiterate, you mentioned she went to school up till ss3, village these days are getting urbanized by the day so you shouldn't be surprised if she could sing those song, she went to school!

richyblink1:

My sister, I am trying not to be in a haste to judge her as I am yet to see any tangible reason to.

I have a family relative who stopped schooling at ss3, but is very eloquent in speaking. So I belive there might be people like that hence my questions.

Secondly, I am not a maid person reason why I am trying to find out from experienced folks in the house

I share same thoughts reason why I said this
Re: My Maid by EfemenaXY: 12:28pm On Jul 16, 2017
@op.

Always carry out proper due diligence before inviting anyone to share your home with you especially where strangers are concerned. Part of this includes never taking recommendations at face value, and undertaking full background checks - such as going to see her people and speak with them (as already suggested).

You have a family and young kids dependant on you for their safety and you can't afford to make mistakes.

Be wise & good luck.

5 Likes

Re: My Maid by FirstCounsel(m): 12:30pm On Jul 16, 2017
richyblink1:

I am over vigilant bro. The first experience I have with maid is terrible. The babe came to my house with a dead baby in her womb that she tried getting rid of natively.
Na God save me because she bled all through her stay in my house holding her tummy with severe pains.

The funniest thing is that she told no one till wifey found out and took her to her doctor.
I also had a nasty experience late last year with a maid. She cloned the house keys without our knowledge stole my wife's things and bolted away in the dead of the night. A supposed 16 year old "naive girl" who had never been to Lagos and didn't know her way around. We later found her cavorting with some dude in his apartment and bundled her home to her people
Re: My Maid by kiddoiLL(m): 12:35pm On Jul 16, 2017
richyblink1:
We recently got a maid to assist with the kids. She arrived on Thursday, so she is barely 3 days with us.
She claimed to have been in the village all her life and has never been to any city, state or whatsoever. That a trip to PH is her first journey away from home. She equally said she stopped schooling at ss3.

This morning while doing her morning chores, I overheard her singing west life's song back to back with queens English. I kept mute till she started singing John legend's "ALL OF ME" throughly without missing a word. What got me was how she pronounces the wordings with a British intonation.

Should I be worried? Especially as I barely know her. She was brought to me by a friend who her elder sister has stayed with for 5 years and counting without issues

It's possible na! she stopped school at Ss3 doesnt mean she stopped reading or learning English...i've seen people like that

7 Likes

Re: My Maid by richyblink1(m): 12:44pm On Jul 16, 2017
EfemenaXY:
@op.

Always carry out proper due diligence before inviting anyone to share your home with you especially where strangers are concerned. Part of this includes never taking recommendations at face value, and undertaking full background checks - such as going to see her people and speak with them (as already suggested).

You have a family and young kids dependant on you for their safety and you can't afford to make mistakes.

Be wise & good luck.

Noted. Thanks
Re: My Maid by richyblink1(m): 12:45pm On Jul 16, 2017
FirstCounsel:

I also had a nasty experience late last year with a maid. She cloned the house keys without our knowledge stole my wife's things and bolted away in the dead of the night. A supposed 16 year old "naive girl" who had never been to Lagos and didn't know her way around. We later found her cavorting with some dude in his apartment and bundled her home to her people

Mehn!! Seriouse issue

1 Like

Re: My Maid by richyblink1(m): 12:46pm On Jul 16, 2017
kiddoiLL:
It's possible na! she stopped school at Ss3 doesnt mean she stopped reading or learning English...i've seen people like that

I figured, part of the reason why I am not in a haste
Re: My Maid by richyblink1(m): 12:54pm On Jul 16, 2017
I figured there are bright people out there with good command of English dispite not attending high institutions. But something led to my question.

My brother in law equally putting up with me saw her outside the estate while returning from work on Friday and asked her what she was doing out there alone giving the fact that she is new and barely know her way around. She said nothing, that she was just looking around.

On Saturday evening, she was equally spotted in a distance of like 15 minutes away from the estate, when asked what's up, she said she went to get airtime. Wifey had to warn her not to leave the house again without informing anyone.

Note; she was barely a day with us when the first incident happened, and 2 days with us when the second happened.

Just thinking aloud
Re: My Maid by Acidosis(m): 1:31pm On Jul 16, 2017
The urge to move around the estate may not be unconnected with her personality (extroversion).

I also don't see any reason why you should be worried. Nigerians have very funny meanings to the word VILLAGE. Your suspicions have to do with your perception of the word village.. coming from the village doesn't mean she hailed from those thick forests, with a few hut and a village head.

To an average Lagosian, anything that isn't Lagos, PH or Abuja is a VILLAGE. When you tell them you're travelling home for Christmas, they begin to say words like: "bring something for me from the village." Lokoja is a village, Akure is a village, Ado-Ekiti is a village, Minna is a village but Ikorodu in Lagos is a MEGA CITY. Hallelujah!!

That aside, there's absolutely nothing to be worried about! The world, owing to globalisation and internalisation, has become a global village. Queens English isn't hard to learn... In fact, it is easier to learn such in her "village" in plateau than in the midst of motor park touts in Lagos. Being in the city doesn't necessary mean "exposure". Some Lagosians don't even know who Kim Kardashian is, but some so called villagers have watched over 1000 Hollywood movies, they know the entire history of all Hollywood actors, actresses and reality tv hosts... DSTV is now N10k bro!

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Maid by TheeDetective: 1:33pm On Jul 16, 2017
@Op, I don’t understand when people see fire and decide that until they put their hand in it and it burns them before they know that it was hot and dangerous. You have seen enough red flags to alert you that something is not right and yet you still insist to allow her remain with you. You should have carried out due diligence before she even step foot in your house and from your responses, it’s obvious you didn’t do much of that. Someone who hasn’t left her village before and is so bold to be going out of the house without your permission and that is not enough worry for you ba ok o siddon look. You do realise that safety should be your first priority concerning ANYONE that is not family that comes into your home especially when you have young children. Leave am there o until she will show you her true colors then you will know watsup. ENOUGH SAID

3 Likes

Re: My Maid by Afam4eva(m): 1:46pm On Jul 16, 2017
TheeDetective:
@Op, I don’t understand when people see fire and decide that until they put their hand in it and it burns them before they know that it was hot and dangerous. You have seen enough red flags to alert you that something is not right and yet you still insist to allow her remain with you. You should have carried out due diligence before she even step foot in your house and from your responses, it’s obvious you didn’t do much of that. Someone who hasn’t left her village before and is so bold to be going out of the house without your permission and that is not enough worry for you ba ok o siddon look. You do realise that safety should be your first priority concerning ANYONE that is not family that comes into your home especially when you have young children. Leave am there o until she will show you her true colors then you will know watsup. ENOUGH SAID
While i think he should have done his due diligence even before she stepped her foot into his house, i don't think anything he has said is unusual. There's really no bid deal for someone in the village speaking English. Like someone said, village means different things to different people and someone who finished SS3 can be said to be educated because secondary education is where people actually learn how to speak proper English.

It's also imperative to udnerstand the fact that the OP who has conversed with these maid before she started singing west life's song in supposed Queen English, so it may not even be that she speaks good english but just knows these songs. Even people from countries that don't speak english, sound good in the language when they're singing a song. So, like i said, these things should not raise a red flag. But the OP should still carry out some investigations.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Maid by TheeDetective: 1:53pm On Jul 16, 2017
At bold that is what he should have done before he even allow ANYONE who's not a family member to step foot in his house. One doesn't take chances when young children are involved. It's obvious he is having some concerns and red flags are being spotted about the lady and rightfully so especially since the lady is the one that will be looking after the children whilst he and his wife are away on their individual routines.
Afam4eva:

While i think he should have done his due diligence even before she stepped her foot into his house, i don't think anything he has said is unusual. There's really no bid deal for someone in the village speaking English. Like someone said, village means different things to different people and someone who finished SS3 can be said to be educated because secondary education is where people actually learn how to speak proper English.

It's also imperative to udnerstand the fact that the OP who has conversed with these maid before she started singing west life's song in supposed Queen English, so it may not even be that she speaks good english but just knows these songs. Even people from countries that don't speak english, sound good in the language when they're singing a song. So, like i said, these things should not raise a red flag. But the OP should still carry out some investigations.

1 Like

Re: My Maid by richyblink1(m): 2:27pm On Jul 16, 2017
Acidosis:
The urge to move around the estate may not be unconnected with her personality (extroversion).

I also don't see any reason why you should be worried. Nigerians have very funny meanings to the word VILLAGE. Your suspicions have to do with your perception of the word village.. coming from the village doesn't mean she hailed from those thick forests, with a few hut and a village head.

To an average Lagosian, anything that isn't Lagos, PH or Abuja is a VILLAGE. When you tell them you're travelling home for Christmas, they begin to say words like: "bring something from me from the village." Lokoja is a village, Akure is a village, Ado-Ekiti is a village, Minna is a village but Ikorodu in Lagos is a MEGA CITY. Hallelujah!!

That aside, there's absolutely nothing to be worried about! The world, owing to globalisation and internalisation, has become a global village. Queens English isn't hard to learn... In fact, it is easier to learn such in her "village" in plateau than in the midst of motor park touts in Lagos. Being in the city doesn't necessary mean "exposure". Some Lagosians don't even know who Kim Kardashian is, but some so called villagers have watched over 1000 Hollywood movies, they know the entire history of all Hollywood actors, actresses and reality tv hosts... DSTV is now N10k bro!

Thanks for the words. Just trying to be alert

1 Like

Re: My Maid by richyblink1(m): 2:28pm On Jul 16, 2017
[quote author=TheeDetective post=58512508]@Op, I don’t understand when people see fire and decide that until they put their hand in it and it burns them before they know that it was hot and dangerous. You have seen enough red flags to alert you that something is not right and yet you still insist to allow her remain with you. You should have carried out due diligence before she even step foot in your house and from your responses, it’s obvious you didn’t do much of that. Someone who hasn’t left her village before and is so bold to be going out of the house without your permission and that is not enough worry for you ba ok o siddon look. You do realise that safety should be your first priority concerning ANYONE that is not family that comes into your home especially when you have young children. Leave am there o until she will show you her true colors then you will know watsup. ENOUGH SAID[/quote

Already on finding mission
Re: My Maid by sisisioge: 2:52pm On Jul 16, 2017
Don't get too worried yet but keep your four eyes all focused on her plus try to keep your important things locked up.

1 Like

Re: My Maid by richyblink1(m): 3:03pm On Jul 16, 2017
sisisioge:
Don't get too worried yet but keep your four eyes all focused on her plus try to keep your important things locked up.

Sure, all vital stuffs are kept out of reach for now. Just want to learn more
Re: My Maid by Nobody: 3:42pm On Jul 16, 2017
Interesting movie to watch.
Re: My Maid by thorpido(m): 4:16pm On Jul 16, 2017
Well,with DSTV and other cable TV,one can speak well while living in a 'village'(if Jos town can be classed as that).

That said,she might be lying(I think the average maid hides things).
Just observe her well,keep your important possessions away from her reach.

Once you notice any behaviour that is unacceptable, don't hesitate to let her go.
I don't have a phobia for maids like some people do but before I bring in anyone,I do my due diligence.
Re: My Maid by ifyalways(f): 4:17pm On Jul 16, 2017
With everything happening, I do not and will never understand how and why anyone would take in a maid without FIRST making our time to go know and see the maids parents.

Plateau is now too far, you and wife are too busy with work and life until it happens. . .

We are never proactive as we always have a billion excuses until it happens then. . .

Trust but verify.

5 Likes

Re: My Maid by richyblink1(m): 4:21pm On Jul 16, 2017
thorpido:
Well,with DSTV and other cable TV,one can speak well while living in a 'village'(if Jos town can be classed as that).

That said,she might be lying(I think the average maid hides things).
Just observe her well,keep your important possessions away from her reach.

Once you notice any behaviour that is unacceptable, don't hesitate to let her go.
I don't have a phobia for maids like some people do but before I bring in anyone,I do my due diligence.

Alright. Thanks
Re: My Maid by richyblink1(m): 4:26pm On Jul 16, 2017
ifyalways:
With everything happening, I do not and will never understand how and why anyone would take in a maid without FIRST making our time to go know and see the maids parents.

Plateau is now too far, you and wife are too busy with work and life until it happens. . .

We are never proactive as we always have a billion excuses until it happens then. . .

Trust but verify.

Her Dad is late, mum is in the village. Though she was recommended to me by a good friend who is with her elder sister for 5 years now. He made the whole arrangement. But we are already making plans to see her mum and know her village before leaving her alone with the kids. For now my mother in law is around and keeping a close watch on her till we do our verification.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: My Maid by carammel(f): 5:13pm On Jul 16, 2017
If she is from Jos,Barkin ladi or Pankshin,forget o,she is not a villager. She must be an happening babe. Music is everywhere in jos.
Like others said though,you should still carry out a thorough investigation,your safety and your kids matter first.

2 Likes

Re: My Maid by richyblink1(m): 5:20pm On Jul 16, 2017
carammel:
If she is from Jos,Barkin ladi or Pankshin,forget o,she is not a villager. She must be an happening babe. Music is everywhere in jos.
Like others said though,you should still carry out a thorough investigation,your safety and your kids matter first.

She is from Bassa
Re: My Maid by keepingmum: 7:47pm On Jul 16, 2017
Most LGA'S in plateau state are towns (mini cities).....so don't expect your typical timid unexposed teenager....yes she may live in and school in the village but jossites are not villagers in that sense....they are quite exposed because music is a common denominator/way of life in Plateau state

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Very Neat Water Dispenser With Bottle For 35k / How Often Do U Call Your In-law / My Family's Story, (my Mum Won This Time)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.