Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,400 members, 7,954,581 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 11:37 PM

Presidency Drags Senate To Supreme Court Over Magu, Others - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidency Drags Senate To Supreme Court Over Magu, Others (19328 Views)

Grumbling In EFCC Over Magu’s Successor / 13 Billion: Jonathan, Emefiele, Magu, Others To Be Questioned By Panel. / Buhari Can Be Impeached Over Magu – Senator Okurounmu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Presidency Drags Senate To Supreme Court Over Magu, Others by Cutezt(m): 8:20am On Jul 17, 2017
Who is the presidency?

1 Like

Re: Presidency Drags Senate To Supreme Court Over Magu, Others by YourImaginaryBF: 8:23am On Jul 17, 2017
amjoseph19:

They swear for una ni?
Zombiism is real.
The indictment report of corruption written against Magu, who wrote it? Wasn't it DSS (Executive) that wrote it?
Amongst 200million ppl is Magu the only one that can head EFCC?.
BTW, which case has Magu ever won in court for over 2 yrs of constant noise making in the media.
Has saraki not been acquitted of all charges?
acquitted of all charges? To think i share a country with you lots who will defend a crimhnal because he reprerents your pol views
Re: Presidency Drags Senate To Supreme Court Over Magu, Others by Emokai3(m): 8:25am On Jul 17, 2017
I am soo happy for the confusion happening in Nigeria right now... ( change a most Abi?) hahahah

1 Like

Re: Presidency Drags Senate To Supreme Court Over Magu, Others by ELKHALIFAISIS(m): 8:28am On Jul 17, 2017
does it mean there is no other competent person to handle this EFCC office this has shown APC incompetency , buhari is a coward, useless old fool that parade clowns as his adviser

3 Likes

Re: Presidency Drags Senate To Supreme Court Over Magu, Others by dallyemmy: 8:30am On Jul 17, 2017
..for Judiciary to interpret the law...
Re: Presidency Drags Senate To Supreme Court Over Magu, Others by aolawale025: 8:31am On Jul 17, 2017
We must learn to build institutions. A judicial interpretation is the way to go. However if the presidency feels no senate confirmation is required for certain offices, why send the names in the first place?

6 Likes

Re: Presidency Drags Senate To Supreme Court Over Magu, Others by jomoh: 8:39am On Jul 17, 2017
samkay3g:
they should just find someone else now, is he the only one capable?

Integrityfarms:
Am still confused about what's the magical wand that Magu possesses and how he is irreplaceable

This is not about finding a capable hand. Obviously there are a lot of people that are more intense than Magu but It is more about precedent setting.

If the presidency should give-in to the pressures of the corrupt senate based on these frivolous excuse then nobody they(senate) cannot control would ever be good enough for that seat.

2 Likes

Re: Presidency Drags Senate To Supreme Court Over Magu, Others by Max24: 8:39am On Jul 17, 2017
Atiku2019:
Power Tussle wink

Well Atiku 2019
What did he forget in the Presidency? All d monies he stole thru Intel and BPE are not enough? Corruption personified!!!
Re: Presidency Drags Senate To Supreme Court Over Magu, Others by obinna4Jesus(m): 8:43am On Jul 17, 2017
Our current version of democracy is a serious bottleneck to our advancement as a nation particularly the legislature as it is currently structured. What are we doing with a bicameral legislature? Can't we have a unicameral legislature and still have them perform the same law making functions without much fuss. The national assembly as currently structured should be tweaked if we must advance as a nation as good laws are vital to nation building. The continual rejection of the confirmation of Magu by the senate is politically motivated. Buy the truth and sell it not

2 Likes

Re: Presidency Drags Senate To Supreme Court Over Magu, Others by Lyoncrescent: 8:44am On Jul 17, 2017
YourImaginaryBF:
this corrupt senate has refused to confirm Magu because there are currently 8 lawmakers, Senate President inclusive, that have cases with the EFCC. Not confirming magu meant limiting his powers.

Your point is valid but should we discard the dss report ? Or do you think the Senate influenced the dss on both ocassions ? Is the dss not under the executive? Maybe the Senate should invite the dss staff who published the report . Is magu the only angel in efcc ? Cos magu is Nigeria's j edgar Hoover abi ?

1 Like

Re: Presidency Drags Senate To Supreme Court Over Magu, Others by Boyooosa(m): 8:48am On Jul 17, 2017
THIS ONES WEY SABI LOSE LEGAL BATTLES!

2 Likes

Re: Presidency Drags Senate To Supreme Court Over Magu, Others by Max24: 8:53am On Jul 17, 2017
Integrityfarms:
Am still confused about what's the magical wand that Magu possesses and how he is irreplaceable
The motive of the legislators is to kill d anti corruption drive everytime it reaches its peak. They have done that severally in d past - Ribadu, Farida, Lamorde and now Magu. Its a strategy. Once any efcc chairman starts investigating their corrupt lives they insist on removal. if they succeed now we will continue moving in circles with regard to fighting corruption. Touching an anti corruption chairman even by d President should be d most difficult thing to do - that's why Trumps removal of Comey has brought up another investigation of obstruction of Justice in addition to Russia. We must learn from developed jurisdictions.

1 Like

Re: Presidency Drags Senate To Supreme Court Over Magu, Others by oyakhilomeh(m): 8:59am On Jul 17, 2017
Lyoncrescent:

Your point is valid but should we discard the dss report ? Or do you think the Senate influenced the dss on both ocassions ? Is the dss not under the executive? Maybe the Senate should invite the dss staff who published the report . Is magu the only angel in efcc ? Cos magu is Nigeria's j edgar Hoover abi ?
Well you are right. If you watch Magu's 2nd screening he told the Senate that the two reports from the DSS are contradictory. And the SP said...well that is not the subject matter, he's not going to discuss the integrity of the DSS
Re: Presidency Drags Senate To Supreme Court Over Magu, Others by udemzyudex(m): 8:59am On Jul 17, 2017
Blue3k:

The big question before the court is can you keep someone who's been rejected in acting capacity. Does the presidency have that right. Resubmitting sane name over and over is cool. That's simply a war of attrition.

I don't care about who they put in there, cos even a Saint will turn to wolve when they get there.

I think the senate will win this case, since they have the power to confirm, this is a waste of time and money..

1 Like

Re: Presidency Drags Senate To Supreme Court Over Magu, Others by oyakhilomeh(m): 9:00am On Jul 17, 2017
Max24:

The motive of the legislators is to kill d anti corruption drive everytime it reaches its peak. They have done that severally in d past - Ribadu, Farida, Lamorde and now Magu. Its a strategy. Once any efcc chairman starts investigating their corrupt lives they insist on removal. if they succeed now we will continue moving in circles with regard to fighting corruption. Touching an anti corruption chairman even by d President should be d most difficult thing to do - that's why Trumps removal of Comey has brought up another investigation of obstruction of Justice in addition to Russia. We must learn from developed jurisdictions.
You've spoken well

1 Like

Re: Presidency Drags Senate To Supreme Court Over Magu, Others by oobinna: 9:03am On Jul 17, 2017
lonelydora:
I stand with Magu. I support anything that goes against the Senate, whether they are right or wrong.

Scrap Senate and see how fast Nigeria will develop.

Scrap Senate? In a democratic setting?
Make sense fall on you bro

1 Like

Re: Presidency Drags Senate To Supreme Court Over Magu, Others by akpamuomenka: 9:21am On Jul 17, 2017
YourImaginaryBF:
this corrupt senate has refused to confirm Magu because there are currently 8 lawmakers, Senate President inclusive, that have cases with the EFCC. Not confirming magu meant limiting his powers.

You brought Magu to them for confirmation and he (Magu) failed the interview and consequently rejected. What you should do is to present another candidate for confirmation. Stop this lamentation of yours. If it is only Magu that you have for this position, you have failed woefully. Nuhu Ribadu was there, he even jailed his boss Tafa Balogun so spare us this your excuses and bring another candidate for the job. Is Magu the only "saint" you have?.

3 Likes

Re: Presidency Drags Senate To Supreme Court Over Magu, Others by baysol: 9:44am On Jul 17, 2017
Biafrans must leave Yoruba land right now. Nothing to be afraid of but if they refuse they will meet with problems they created with oba of Lagos and their crime in various forms will catch up with them. No say we no warn una Igbos ooooo.
Re: Presidency Drags Senate To Supreme Court Over Magu, Others by Dollabiz: 9:59am On Jul 17, 2017
Really
Re: Presidency Drags Senate To Supreme Court Over Magu, Others by amjoseph19: 10:00am On Jul 17, 2017
YourImaginaryBF:
acquitted of all charges? To think i share a country with you lots who will defend a crimhnal because he reprerents your pol views
It is people like you that disgust me.
Which politician in Nigeria that is corruption free? But, you people will chose the one you want to tag corrupt and innocent knowing full well that they are all the same.
You tagged saraki as a corrupt man because he was indicted by the Code of conduct but hypocrite like you will refuse to see Magu as corrupt when DSS indicted him.

Not the politicians but You two face lots are the main problem we have in this country.

1 Like

Re: Presidency Drags Senate To Supreme Court Over Magu, Others by surgical: 10:06am On Jul 17, 2017
OKDnigeria:

Removing Magu will not kill the cases. The next EFCC chair will continue from where Magu stopped. In fact, keeping Magu there as acting chairman man has keeping things slow in EFCC. Check it naa, and since he was rejected by the Senate, he has been so dull. What has he done since that time? Nothing. If the presidency had replaced with another competent hand (there are many other people who can do the job, Magu is not the only one), we would have moved past this stage since. Why insist on Magu if not for superiority contest?
It shows very clearly that the executive is not interested in fighting any corruption, but just using the magu issue as a cover up, with all the dramas so that thing can remain thesame, what has the magu achieved since only a clog if not that the whole thing fit into their plan,.nigeria with the kind of population ,the goverment knows what to do,no man is indispensable not even buhari abeg.

1 Like

Re: Presidency Drags Senate To Supreme Court Over Magu, Others by twinstaiye(m): 10:12am On Jul 17, 2017
Since inception, efcc chairmen had gone to senate for confirmation, magu own too, even twice, Why has every EFCC chairman since inception, including Ibrahim Magu, sought Senate confirmation, if they did not need it? and when magu was rejected twice, that is when the executive now started interpreting the constitution to suit their purpose. This is a dangerous precedence for our democracy. And those who are saying corrupt senate, nobody is guilty until proven by competent court. If senates are corrupt, arent the executive too? or are we saying the executive are saints? So who will checkmate them? Magu cant even mentioned the amount recovered so far by efcc during the interview, there are lots of grounds to show that the senate was right denying him the chairmanship position.
I read it authoritatively elsewhere that since there are no express provisions in the Constitution for confirmation of EFCC heads by the Senate, the EFCC Act providing for this can’t be null and void, since it doesn’t go contrary to any constitutional provision.

4 Likes

Re: Presidency Drags Senate To Supreme Court Over Magu, Others by GuntersChain(m): 10:14am On Jul 17, 2017
who is the presidency? The cabal or the ap.

2 Likes

Re: Presidency Drags Senate To Supreme Court Over Magu, Others by Nobody: 10:15am On Jul 17, 2017
jomoh:

This is not about finding a capable hand. Obviously there are a lot of people that are more intense than Magu but It is more about precedent setting.

If the presidency should give-in to the pressures of the corrupt senate based on these frivolous excuse then nobody they(senate) cannot control would ever be good enough for that seat.

If your comapany's manager tells you he won't accept your friends son for employment in your company because he has a report from HR that he is a criminal that has folded other company's in the past...Tel me will you fight the manager or the report/the HR that is under you generating such report and how will you feel if it was family and they are accusing you of been wicked and refusing to help??

Let's face it sir! even the presidency don't want Magu! if they do they should ask the DSS to write a counter report since they have cleared him based on his reponse from the attroney generals query.

1 Like

Re: Presidency Drags Senate To Supreme Court Over Magu, Others by castrokins(m): 10:16am On Jul 17, 2017
To Paraphrase Babachir D. Lawal; Who's Presidency?

2 Likes

Re: Presidency Drags Senate To Supreme Court Over Magu, Others by GoodMuyis(m): 10:18am On Jul 17, 2017
#IStandWithBuhari
#IStandWithOsinbajo
#IStandWithMagu

Support My Petition Your Signature, its only require 1 step
Thank you

https://www.change.org/p/ngrsenate-confirm-the-appointment-of-ibrahim-magu-as-the-executive-chairman-of-efcc-cc-nassnigeria
Re: Presidency Drags Senate To Supreme Court Over Magu, Others by Boyooosa(m): 10:25am On Jul 17, 2017
lonelydora:
I stand with Magu. I support anything that goes against the Senate, whether they are right or wrong.

Scrap Senate and see how fast Nigeria will develop.
SOUNDS FUNNY BUT SEEMS TRUE... THAT IS JUST THE SET OF PPLE PORTRAYED AS OUR LEADERS. THEIR ATTITUDE, GREED AND DESPERATION(DEVILISH) HAVE MADE THEM TO LOOSE EMPATHY AND RESPECT FROM SOMEONE LIKE ME TOO, THEY LOST IT! I DOUBT IF THEY CAN REDEEM IT, I 8 THEM WITH PASSION, I DONT WANT TO HEAR ANYTHING FROM THEM, THEY ARE NOT ONLY DUMB BUT DUMB-ASSES!

1 Like

Re: Presidency Drags Senate To Supreme Court Over Magu, Others by lonelydora: 10:27am On Jul 17, 2017
Boyooosa:

SOUNDS FUNNY BUT SEEMS TRUE... THAT IS JUST THE SET OF PPLE PORTRAYED AS OUR LEADERS. THEIR ATTITUDE, GREED AND DESPERATION(DEVILISH) HAVE MADE THEM TO LOOSE EMPATHY AND RESPECT FROM SOMEONE LIKE ME TOO, THEY LOST IT! I DOUBT IF THEY CAN REDEEM IT, I 8 THEM WITH PASSION, I DONT WANT TO HEAR ANYTHING FROM THEM, THEY ARE NOT ONLY DUMB BUT DUMB-ASSES!

That's just the truth
Re: Presidency Drags Senate To Supreme Court Over Magu, Others by Tinyemeka(m): 10:59am On Jul 17, 2017
OKDnigeria:

Removing Magu will not kill the cases. The next EFCC chair will continue from where Magu stopped. In fact, keeping Magu there as acting chairman man has keeping things slow in EFCC. Check it naa, and since he was rejected by the Senate, he has been so dull. What has he done since that time? Nothing. If the presidency had replaced with another competent hand (there are many other people who can do the job, Magu is not the only one), we would have moved past this stage since. Why insist on Magu if not for superiority contest?

I beg to differ sir.

We all saw what became of the EFCC after Nuhu Ribadu was unceremoniously removed and replaced with Farida Waziri and Ibrahim Lamorde. Even the replacements themselves were slammed with corruption cases after their exit.

Magu is currently the chair that to an extent, is restoring the confidence which had been hitherto lost after Ribadu's removal.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2023 Presidency: Who Do You Think The Organized Private Sector Will Support? / Sense Of Entitlement Syndrome In Nigeria Too Much – Ngige / 11 State Governors That Have Submitted 2017 Budget And Worth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.