Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,562 members, 7,833,814 topics. Date: Monday, 20 May 2024 at 08:23 AM

Should The Man Bear The Whole Financial Expenses In The House? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should The Man Bear The Whole Financial Expenses In The House? (8586 Views)

Poll: Do You Support This ?

Yes: 17% (17 votes)
No: 82% (82 votes)
This poll has ended

The Law, The Husband, The Wife Or The Man, Who Is To Blame For This? (snapshots) / Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? / Should Working Wives Share Household Expenses With Their Husbands? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should The Man Bear The Whole Financial Expenses In The House? by Nobody: 12:40pm On Nov 10, 2010
Men remember 'equality' when it suits them! mccccccccccccccchew! angry angry
Re: Should The Man Bear The Whole Financial Expenses In The House? by xprience(f): 12:53pm On Nov 10, 2010
@ujujoan, dont mind them, they expect the woman to do the house chores and still go to work so that she can pay some bills.

at the end of the day who is more responsible?
Re: Should The Man Bear The Whole Financial Expenses In The House? by Claus(m): 1:19pm On Nov 10, 2010
These questions come up because not all aspects of society evolve at the same pace.

Generations ago, men had a much stronger hold on the work force. A career oriented woman was rarer than what we see today.

Women have rightfully fought for more equality in the work place and gradually (depending on what country you're in) we're getting there.

Given the additional economic wealth that a woman can now bring into a home, I am really baffled by the reluctance of some of those women to contribute to the home. Did women fight for economic equality just so they could spend the resources on themselves (and as some have pointed out, on their kids)? If that's the case, then what is the nature of the love these women have for their husbands?

The male flip side of this is that as women are now devoting more time to the work place, they don't have as much time for domestic chores. In the name of a more holistic evolution of society, this is where men as well must step in to contribute to the domestic aspects of the home. If a man refuses to help a working woman with household chores, then the question comes up again, what is the nature of love that the man has for his wife?

That someone's ancestors held a view does not necessarily make it valid today. Society evolves.
Re: Should The Man Bear The Whole Financial Expenses In The House? by Nobody: 1:41pm On Nov 10, 2010
Claus:

These questions come up because not all aspects of society evolve at the same pace.

Generations ago, men had a much stronger hold on the work force. A career oriented woman was rarer than what we see today.

Women have rightfully fought for more equality in the work place and gradually (depending on what country you're in) we're getting there.

Given the additional economic wealth that a woman can now bring into a home, I am really baffled by the reluctance of some of those women to contribute to the home. Did women fight for economic equality just so they could spend the resources on themselves (and as some have pointed out, on their kids)? If that's the case, then what is the nature of the love these women have for their husbands?

The male flip side of this is that as women are now devoting more time to the work place, they don't have as much time for domestic chores. In the name of a more holistic evolution of society, this is where men as well must step in to contribute to the domestic aspects of the home. If a man refuses to help a working woman with household chores, then the question comes up again, what is the nature of love that the man has for his wife?

That someone's ancestors held a view does not necessarily make it valid today. Society evolves.

Good points here!

Except of course we know it just won't fly. People come everyday to complain about how the women are too career-oriented that they no longer have time for their families. Like the money they make are strictly for their make up . . .

Like you rightly pointed out, if women should contribute financiall, men should contribute equally to house chores . . . . in the spirit of equity!

It'll be very unfair if I have to wake up at night to feed the baby, wake up early to make breakfast, make dinner after work no matter how tired I am, go for shopping and do the laundry, and ensure the house is spic and span! And at the same time, contribute 50% of the family finances . . . while the man will contribute his own 50% and basically lay around the rest of the time! undecided
Re: Should The Man Bear The Whole Financial Expenses In The House? by iaabc(f): 3:59pm On Nov 12, 2010
^^^very valid points. There just has to be middle ground, that we can all agree on,
Re: Should The Man Bear The Whole Financial Expenses In The House? by walcolm(m): 10:40am On Feb 08, 2011
Ujujoan:

Good points here!

Except of course we know it just won't fly. People come everyday to complain about how the women are too career-oriented that they no longer have time for their families. Like the money they make are strictly for their make up . . .

Like you rightly pointed out, if women should contribute financiall, men should contribute equally to house chores . . . . in the spirit of equity!

It'll be very unfair if I have to wake up at night to feed the baby, wake up early to make breakfast, make dinner after work no matter how tired I am, go for shopping and do the laundry, and ensure the house is spic and span! And at the same time, contribute 50% of the family finances . . . while the man will contribute his own 50% and basically lay around the rest of the time! undecided

i think the point @Claus was raising in his post is that, if the woman spends as much time earning a living as the husband and contributes as much as the husband to the family purse, she would have EARNED the right to be relieved of half the domestic duties that is traditionally expected of the woman in the house

so if the woman chips in financially as well as the man, there's no reason why the husband will wait for her to get home before arranging dinner (if he gets home first) or refuse to help her in putting breakfast together

i am all for gender equality but i am baffled by the tendency of most women to want to be equal in some respect and not in others angry i.e. women want to be equal in earning power, decision making, domestic chores, politics but dont want to be equal in financial responsibility, is that not unfair?)
Re: Should The Man Bear The Whole Financial Expenses In The House? by Nobody: 10:53am On Feb 08, 2011
[size=14pt]GADDAMNIT YES[/size]

WHERE IS DAYO?
Re: Should The Man Bear The Whole Financial Expenses In The House? by Nobody: 11:04am On Feb 08, 2011
walcolm:

i think the point @Claus was raising in his post is that, if the woman spends as much time earning a living as the husband and contributes as much as the husband to the family purse, she would have EARNED the right to be relieved of half the domestic duties that is traditionally expected of the woman in the house

so if the woman chips in financially as well as the man, there's no reason why the husband will wait for her to get home before arranging dinner (if he gets home first) or refuse to help her in putting breakfast together

i am all for gender equality but i am baffled by the tendency of most women to want to be equal in some respect and not in others angry i.e. women want to be equal in earning power, decision making, domestic chores, politics but dont want to be equal in financial responsibility, is that not unfair?)

Like I said, it still won't fly . . .

Men will still be men . . . No man will want to do laundry while the woman cleans the house . . . or make breakfast while the wife prepares the kids for school! At the end of the day, the chores will still be the woman's primary responsibility and no man will expect less!

Me am all for shared financial responsibility sha, but I no go contribute 50%! angry angry
Re: Should The Man Bear The Whole Financial Expenses In The House? by Nobody: 11:15am On Feb 08, 2011
walcolm:

so if the woman chips in [/b]financially as well as the man,

The problem now is this :[b]ME I AM NOT CHIPPING IN AT ALL
Re: Should The Man Bear The Whole Financial Expenses In The House? by Nobody: 12:05pm On Feb 08, 2011
Re: Should The Man Bear The Whole Financial Expenses In The House? by Nobody: 12:15pm On Feb 08, 2011
chaircover:

No long story.

The truth is that most of the women who say No No No to contributing towards the family purse are single.

OK, I am single
Re: Should The Man Bear The Whole Financial Expenses In The House? by Nobody: 12:57pm On Feb 08, 2011
jennykadry:

The problem now is this :ME I AM NOT CHIPPING IN AT ALL

Actually, it depends on the kind of job you have and the type your husband has . .

If you are a teacher on a minimum wage and your husband is a bank manager, I doubt if you'll be expected to contribute undecided

If however the reverse is the case, then you really do not have a choice. undecided
Re: Should The Man Bear The Whole Financial Expenses In The House? by Nobody: 1:10pm On Feb 08, 2011
...!
Re: Should The Man Bear The Whole Financial Expenses In The House? by Nobody: 1:42pm On Feb 08, 2011
Ujujoan:

Actually, it depends on the kind of job you have and the type your husband has . .

If you are a teacher on a minimum wage and your husband is a bank manager, I doubt if you'll be expected to contribute  undecided

If however the reverse is the case, then you really do not have a choice.  undecided

The more reason why I went hunting for rich dude and I advise single gurls to do same cool

@CC
Abeg don't pour sand sand inside my garri ooooo angry angry angry

chaircover:

Another aspect to it is that the hubby will work himself to an early death by working all hours just to keep us & then we never get to see him and when he does come home he is way too fagged out & too tired to carry out his bedroom duties. That one na real wahala o!

Ni tori olorun this woman, you no dey tire? cheesy After two kids I outstrip and BB were thinking you are planning your retirement, dont tell them I told you, I was sworn to secrecy embarassed
Re: Should The Man Bear The Whole Financial Expenses In The House? by Nobody: 2:00pm On Feb 08, 2011
Re: Should The Man Bear The Whole Financial Expenses In The House? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Feb 08, 2011
^^CC you haven't given up on that car yet? grin grin grin even after he got you a nice wrist watch sad
Re: Should The Man Bear The Whole Financial Expenses In The House? by spyder880(m): 9:19pm On Feb 08, 2011
Yes, so my lovely wife could enjoy her life and take good care of my kidz, but if she should decide to work, she can keep the cash and pay some househelps from there, including a tight looking maid to look after the kidz in her absence, heheheheh.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? / What Could Be Wrong With Me? / Have You Ever Lost Everything You Worked For?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.