Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,681 members, 7,809,579 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:33 AM

If Hameed Ali Ends Smuggling, He Can Appear In Senate In Jeans & Shirt - Saraki - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If Hameed Ali Ends Smuggling, He Can Appear In Senate In Jeans & Shirt - Saraki (24473 Views)

Hameed Ali Marries Zainab Abdullahi As New Wife (Photos) / Border Closure: Hameed Ali Reveals How Customs Made N9.2bn In Just One Day / Customs Officer Promotes Self To CG, Asks Hameed Ali To Hand Over (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

If Hameed Ali Ends Smuggling, He Can Appear In Senate In Jeans & Shirt - Saraki by higherpower: 7:39am On Jul 18, 2017
The Senate President, Bukola Saraki, on Monday directed a jocular remark at the Comptroller-General of Customs Service, Hameed Ali, saying the latter could be allowed to appear before the Senate for official engagement in casualwear, if he was able to end smuggling.

“To the Comptroller General of Customs, let me say on a lighter note, that once you end smuggling, even if you want to wear jeans and T-Shirt, I will move the motion that you should wear jeans and T-Shirt,” said Mr. Saraki. “But on a serious note, this issue is very important. Let us all work towards ending this menace once and for all.”

Mr. Saraki spoke at the public hearing on tackling smuggling by the Senate Committee on Customs, Excise and Tariffs at the National Assembly, Abuja, on Thursday.

At the hearing, he exchanged pleasantries with Mr. Ali, who had brushed aside the Senate’s resolution he wear official customs uniform to attend its hearing in March.
According to the Senate President, smuggling constitutes the “greatest threat” to the economic diversification drive of the Buhari administration.

“The singular greatest threat to the delivery of the promises made by President Muhammadu Buhari on the diversification of the economy is this issue of smuggling,” the Senate President said.

He continued: “The level of smuggling that we are seeing cannot continue because they will definitely rubbish all the policies of government if allowed to go on. I am saying that with all sincerity and all level of responsibility and I tell you why.

“Today, the greatest threat to small holder farmers is smuggling. Today, rice farmers who have gone to take loans either from the CBN (Central Bank of Nigeria) or from commercial banks are being threatened by rice coming in from across the borders at highly subsidised rate.”

“The meaning of that is that the imported rice will always be cheaper than those produced by our local farmers. A time will come, if we do not do anything, that these farmers will not be able to pay their loans to the banks and this will result in serious crisis. The banks that have given loans to these farmers, will also have crisis in their hands. And for the Central Banks that has intervened with billions of Naira again will not be able to recoup their money.”

The Chairman of the Senate Committee on Customs, Excise and Tariffs, Hope Uzodinma, earlier said that the public hearing was part of the committee’s holistic investigation into the operations of the Comprehensive Import Supervision Scheme, CISS with a view to identify the factors responsible for increasing the rate of smuggling of goods into the country.
He said the exercise was also aimed at proffering solutions to the menace of smuggling and recommend appropriate penalties to be visited on perpetrators.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/237203-hameed-ali-ends-smuggling-can-appear-senate-jeans-shirt-saraki.html

1 Like

Re: If Hameed Ali Ends Smuggling, He Can Appear In Senate In Jeans & Shirt - Saraki by hikanotes(m): 7:41am On Jul 18, 2017
Ya.this is Nigerian government

2 Likes

Re: If Hameed Ali Ends Smuggling, He Can Appear In Senate In Jeans & Shirt - Saraki by tuniski: 7:44am On Jul 18, 2017
It will soon be pay your tax, you can appear in knicker. These people and drama.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: If Hameed Ali Ends Smuggling, He Can Appear In Senate In Jeans & Shirt - Saraki by Nobody: 7:44am On Jul 18, 2017
Senate House: The Headquarter of Nigeria Problems!!

70 Likes 5 Shares

Re: If Hameed Ali Ends Smuggling, He Can Appear In Senate In Jeans & Shirt - Saraki by wablex(m): 7:44am On Jul 18, 2017
Nigeria WHR leaders ain't gud example
Show me some love guys it's my birthday wishing my self all d best in life and all my fellow nairalanders

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: If Hameed Ali Ends Smuggling, He Can Appear In Senate In Jeans & Shirt - Saraki by hatchy(f): 7:53am On Jul 18, 2017
Bunch of unserious people.

So is jean and shirt his official uniform? Why don't you maintain your earlier stand that he appears on the uniform of the agency he heads.
Just because most of you are caught in the web of smuggling and evading duties that is why you shamelessly ask an appointee of government agency to flout the rules.
In which way do we define corruption other than this, eehn.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: If Hameed Ali Ends Smuggling, He Can Appear In Senate In Jeans & Shirt - Saraki by Ehiscotch(m): 8:01am On Jul 18, 2017
As much as I love to hate Saraki, he was just expressing a bit of wit.
He's quite aware that ending smuggling is a bit impossible even in developed countries.
Cut him some slack 'cos he wasn't being serious.

17 Likes

Re: If Hameed Ali Ends Smuggling, He Can Appear In Senate In Jeans & Shirt - Saraki by xxgig(m): 8:13am On Jul 18, 2017
Ehiscotch:
As much as I love to hate Saraki, he was just expressing a bit of wit.
He's quite aware that ending smuggling is a bit impossible even in developed countries.
Cut him some slack 'cos he wasn't being serious.
he clearly understands that it's "impossible to stop smuggling".

3 Likes

Re: If Hameed Ali Ends Smuggling, He Can Appear In Senate In Jeans & Shirt - Saraki by sarrki(m): 8:49am On Jul 18, 2017
Good one

The progressives have their way

We once said it

Uniform is not the main thing

Its the good mind you have

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: If Hameed Ali Ends Smuggling, He Can Appear In Senate In Jeans & Shirt - Saraki by Abeyjide: 8:53am On Jul 18, 2017
definitely that bullet proof suv saga caused their issue then and now that the issue has been ironed out,saraki now spewing thrash. God help Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: If Hameed Ali Ends Smuggling, He Can Appear In Senate In Jeans & Shirt - Saraki by massinola(m): 8:53am On Jul 18, 2017
K
Re: If Hameed Ali Ends Smuggling, He Can Appear In Senate In Jeans & Shirt - Saraki by Nobody: 8:53am On Jul 18, 2017
Excellent Saraki... this way why we supported you for the post...nice one
Re: If Hameed Ali Ends Smuggling, He Can Appear In Senate In Jeans & Shirt - Saraki by massinola(m): 8:53am On Jul 18, 2017
sarrki:
Good one

The progressives have their way

We once said it

Uniform is not the main thing

Its the good mind you have
Hmm

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If Hameed Ali Ends Smuggling, He Can Appear In Senate In Jeans & Shirt - Saraki by PassionateSoul(m): 8:53am On Jul 18, 2017
Lemme digress a bit. See eh, I'm looking for a girlfriend, if you're young beautiful smart and goal driven, holla me. Will be glad to hear from you

2 Likes

Re: If Hameed Ali Ends Smuggling, He Can Appear In Senate In Jeans & Shirt - Saraki by deebsman1(m): 8:54am On Jul 18, 2017
Idiot. This Saraki is indeed a great set back to this country but God's willing, God will show he's bigger and mightier than him. Gods Grace

5 Likes

Re: If Hameed Ali Ends Smuggling, He Can Appear In Senate In Jeans & Shirt - Saraki by digoster(m): 8:54am On Jul 18, 2017
Nawa o.. Dey don brain wash saraki
Re: If Hameed Ali Ends Smuggling, He Can Appear In Senate In Jeans & Shirt - Saraki by lonelydora: 8:54am On Jul 18, 2017
I hate anything Saraki and the Senate.
Saraki should also end their bogus allowances.

I stand with Hameed Ali.

3 Likes

Re: If Hameed Ali Ends Smuggling, He Can Appear In Senate In Jeans & Shirt - Saraki by ayamprecious: 8:55am On Jul 18, 2017
Saraki is. ......

4 Likes

Re: If Hameed Ali Ends Smuggling, He Can Appear In Senate In Jeans & Shirt - Saraki by NwaAmaikpe: 8:55am On Jul 18, 2017
shocked

This is nonsense.

This is encouraging anarchy.
So Saraki is trying to say the custom's uniform was not a problem after all.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: If Hameed Ali Ends Smuggling, He Can Appear In Senate In Jeans & Shirt - Saraki by anonymuz(m): 8:55am On Jul 18, 2017
PassionateSoul:
Lemme digress a bit. See eh, I'm looking for a girlfriend, if you're young beautiful smart and goal driven, holla me. Will be glad to hear from you
go to romance section you will find your type there.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: If Hameed Ali Ends Smuggling, He Can Appear In Senate In Jeans & Shirt - Saraki by Slai1: 8:55am On Jul 18, 2017
Very conditional.
Re: If Hameed Ali Ends Smuggling, He Can Appear In Senate In Jeans & Shirt - Saraki by nextprince: 8:55am On Jul 18, 2017
Wailers now

2 Likes

Re: If Hameed Ali Ends Smuggling, He Can Appear In Senate In Jeans & Shirt - Saraki by fyneguy: 8:57am On Jul 18, 2017
...because smuggling is affecting his business interest - Songhai. It's not about Nigeria!
Re: If Hameed Ali Ends Smuggling, He Can Appear In Senate In Jeans & Shirt - Saraki by takenadoh: 8:58am On Jul 18, 2017
Are we still on this matter?
Re: If Hameed Ali Ends Smuggling, He Can Appear In Senate In Jeans & Shirt - Saraki by yanjutomi(m): 9:01am On Jul 18, 2017
it's not possible. smuggling is an international business. the most powerful country in d world " USA " can never stop smuggling. u can only curb it to a minimal level. In short his mocking Hameed Ali. Association of MARUDERS
Re: If Hameed Ali Ends Smuggling, He Can Appear In Senate In Jeans & Shirt - Saraki by Bgorgeous: 9:02am On Jul 18, 2017
The smuggling you personally supervise
Re: If Hameed Ali Ends Smuggling, He Can Appear In Senate In Jeans & Shirt - Saraki by magoo10(m): 9:04am On Jul 18, 2017
seriously the hierarchy of Nigeria customs cannot absolve itself of aiding smugglers ,the level of corruption there is cancerous.

1 Like

Re: If Hameed Ali Ends Smuggling, He Can Appear In Senate In Jeans & Shirt - Saraki by Nobody: 9:04am On Jul 18, 2017
SENATE: The problem with Nigeria

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Soludo Wins Awka South LGA, Awka With Landslide Victory. / Anyim-Ganduje Meeting: PDP Faces More Upset As Defection Looms / NASS: PDP Zones Minority Positions In The Senate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.