Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,758 members, 7,809,924 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:16 PM

What Was People Reaction When You Told Them About Your Belief As An Atheist - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Was People Reaction When You Told Them About Your Belief As An Atheist (2045 Views)

4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist / Heated Argument, Note: This Could Shake Your Belief (photos) / The Coercion Of Forceful Belief As A Means Of Salvation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Was People Reaction When You Told Them About Your Belief As An Atheist by Oloruntobi4382(m): 6:27pm On Jul 19, 2017
Yo,

In Nigeria, being gay is safer than being an atheist. The moment you tell someone especially your love ones that you are an atheist, their reaction might be:

"Tobi, o da bi pe opolo re e pe (okun dialect)"

or

"Se your brain dey pain you, how you go say allah no dey exist. If i slap you?."

or

"Kai, ke danbasa. e na ba ka mari. . ."

or

"Tobi, before i open my eyes just go pack your ghana-must-go comot from my house." (I still remember this statement when i was 15, i told my mama i'm becoming a Jehovah Witness. As a single mother she did not want to lose me and she believes i will be a pastor cheesy)

Now my question is, how do people you know or don't know react when you tell them that you are an atheist?
Re: What Was People Reaction When You Told Them About Your Belief As An Atheist by OtemAtum: 6:42pm On Jul 19, 2017
Spacebooking...

1 Like

Re: What Was People Reaction When You Told Them About Your Belief As An Atheist by Oloruntobi4382(m): 6:49pm On Jul 19, 2017
OtemAtum:
Spacebooking...
Chinedu, how far? Hope ya ministry is moving?
Re: What Was People Reaction When You Told Them About Your Belief As An Atheist by Oloruntobi4382(m): 6:50pm On Jul 19, 2017
Adepeter26 hopefullandlord HardMirror
Re: What Was People Reaction When You Told Them About Your Belief As An Atheist by Oloruntobi4382(m): 6:57pm On Jul 19, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho
Re: What Was People Reaction When You Told Them About Your Belief As An Atheist by CoolUsername: 6:57pm On Jul 19, 2017
Told my sister I'm an atheist, she was like, "That's why you don't have friends."

The joke is on her, though. That is not why I don't have friends.

8 Likes

Re: What Was People Reaction When You Told Them About Your Belief As An Atheist by Oloruntobi4382(m): 7:16pm On Jul 19, 2017
CoolUsername:
Told my sister I'm an atheist, she was like, "That's why you don't have friends."

The joke is on her, though. That is not why I don't have friends.
lol, so you don't have friends? chai.
Re: What Was People Reaction When You Told Them About Your Belief As An Atheist by OtemAtum: 7:20pm On Jul 19, 2017
Oloruntobi4382:
Chinedu, how far? Hope ya ministry is moving?
Chine what? Ministry ke?
I'm on a mission for the future. It shouldn't even move till future times.

How's life? Where have u been?
Re: What Was People Reaction When You Told Them About Your Belief As An Atheist by oglalasioux(m): 7:21pm On Jul 19, 2017
Find your own truths before coming out to declare to be an atheist.

How many religious books have you read? Have you knowledge of at least the major religions in Nigeria?

Atheism is not what someone preaches to you. It's what you find by yourself.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Was People Reaction When You Told Them About Your Belief As An Atheist by Oloruntobi4382(m): 7:41pm On Jul 19, 2017
OtemAtum:
Chine what? Ministry ke?
I'm on a mission for the future. It shouldn't even move till future times.

How's life? Where have u been?
I thought you adopted the name. Life get as e be but i still dey progress. Greetings to Atum.
Re: What Was People Reaction When You Told Them About Your Belief As An Atheist by Oloruntobi4382(m): 7:45pm On Jul 19, 2017
oglalasioux:

How many religious books have you read? Have you knowledge of at least the major religions in Nigeria?

I never claimed to be an atheist. Those who know me knows i'm a pantheist. But anyway your itk have been noticed. Just stick to the topic.

TobiAntiYHWH.
Re: What Was People Reaction When You Told Them About Your Belief As An Atheist by Niflheim(m): 7:54pm On Jul 19, 2017
I once told a brainwashed christian, and he said that atheism is linked with poverty(while forgetting that Bill Gates, Warren Buffet and Richard Branson are also atheists)!!!

4 Likes

Re: What Was People Reaction When You Told Them About Your Belief As An Atheist by Martinez19(m): 8:04pm On Jul 19, 2017
oglalasioux:

You don't need to read religious books cover to cover to know that they are bunks. Haba, don't tell me you are not smart to figure that out. undecided
Re: What Was People Reaction When You Told Them About Your Belief As An Atheist by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jul 19, 2017
Lol @being gay vs being an atheist. Though i disagree, telling people youre an atheist wont get you ostracized and probably even 'jungle justiced' grin it seems like the my generation is finally waking up to the inconsistencies in religion.

So, reactions lol. At school most people sort of saw it coming so there was no surprise. Im actually not an athiest though, more like something in between a deist/pantheist/panentheist grin (I'm confused!!) but basically God is more like an abstract concept to me that I'm trying to define, not some white bearded guy in the sky

At work i told one of the other interns I work with and he didnt seem to judge me.

But tbh, op, I havent told anyone who I think will react 'crazy' yet. For example my boss is a 'Christian Extremist'. She'll probably start rolling on the ground and gasping for air if I tell her- and she'll lowkey hate me so I'd rather not, lol.

My parents sort of know but its like a 'dont ask, dont tell' situation.

4 Likes

Re: What Was People Reaction When You Told Them About Your Belief As An Atheist by oglalasioux(m): 8:35pm On Jul 19, 2017
Martinez19:
You don't need to read religious books cover to cover to know that they are bunks. Haba, don't tell me you are not smart to figure that out. undecided

I don't mean it that way.

I'm a staunch atheist. You can go through my profile and my posts. What I meant was for anyone calling his or herself atheist check it out before blurting it out. We live in a multi religious side of the world and it must be knowledge that will push you out of the religion you were born to into atheism.

The OP already insinuated that I'm claiming 'I too know'. I let that pass because it is a sign that this thread was created to mock atheists. Same people on this thread will create another post on Sunday claiming to have found christ.

If you are a Nigerian there must be a reason you became an atheist. Not because your friends are but because you have a conviction that the religion you were born into and the notion of god/gods are wrong.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Was People Reaction When You Told Them About Your Belief As An Atheist by lepasharon(f): 10:16pm On Jul 19, 2017
OtemAtum:

When I discovered that Samuel Ekwueme the 419 is also bearing CHINEDUM, I decided to distant myself from it so everything won't be muddled up. Lemme bear my own name(oruko amutorunwa) Otem.

There is another moniker of his, I don't think anyone knew about: blogger2tooker
Re: What Was People Reaction When You Told Them About Your Belief As An Atheist by OtemAtum: 10:25pm On Jul 19, 2017
lepasharon:

There is another moniker of his, I don't think anyone knew about: blogger2tooker
And there is babagod also
Re: What Was People Reaction When You Told Them About Your Belief As An Atheist by lepasharon(f): 11:23pm On Jul 19, 2017
OtemAtum:

And there is babagod also

Ah mogbe..does it ever end
Re: What Was People Reaction When You Told Them About Your Belief As An Atheist by Nobody: 11:33pm On Jul 19, 2017
Here to read comments...
#Deist
Re: What Was People Reaction When You Told Them About Your Belief As An Atheist by Deicide: 1:10am On Jul 20, 2017
otematum you no day every taya for that guy mata?
Re: What Was People Reaction When You Told Them About Your Belief As An Atheist by jonbellion(m): 2:03am On Jul 20, 2017
Hmm well I'm not an atheist but to most people in Nigeria it would seem like a shock because it's not common in Africa and even the ones that are keep it to themselves which tbh isn't helping matters You see the average christian definition of an unbeliever is someone that is just confused it doesn't know much about their religion. But the average athiest is not like that. The average atheist knows about their religion more that some of them ever will so when they see people talking like that they are like *gasp!* he/she has reasonable opinions that contradict mine??!! Do people like that exist??" An athiest is not an "average unbeliever" an athiest has weighed the odds of your religion being crap and seen that it is pretty high so an athiest isn't gong to sheepishly nod when you start your epistle about how Jesus came to die for us because of our sins and redeem us from shit we didn't commit. An athiest would say "Bleep that I have a different opinion from that and it is going to be with a lot of common sense and philosophical standpoints" so an athiest, agnostic, diest, pantheist etc isn't going to just sit down and let you yap about something he/she already knows is complete bull. With this you can see why at first the views towards the athiest won't be so err pleasant. Now to my experience. Most people don't care. Some people might at first but when they see that you are no different from the average human being then they stop being so judgemental-ey
I'm speaking from experience
PS I'm an agnostic btw

6 Likes

Re: What Was People Reaction When You Told Them About Your Belief As An Atheist by OtemAtum: 4:02am On Jul 20, 2017
Deicide:
otematum you no day every taya for that guy mata?
zero tolerance for scammers.
Re: What Was People Reaction When You Told Them About Your Belief As An Atheist by ScepticalPyrrho: 6:54am On Jul 20, 2017
Oloruntobi4382:
Friends and family blame it on my exposure to philosophy. That's what they ask when I start talking... "what did you read in school?".
Strangers look at me like I'm not human, as if I've been possessed by a very powerful demon. There are those who become shock and begin to ask many questions without waiting for any response... smiley
Some other friends think I'm just toying with their brains... when they try to understand my viewpoints.
But it's all good. They still come around especially when I let them know me first.

2 Likes

Re: What Was People Reaction When You Told Them About Your Belief As An Atheist by Oloruntobi4382(m): 12:26pm On Jul 20, 2017
Niflheim:
I once told a brainwashed christian, and he said that atheism is linked with poverty(while forgetting that Bill Gates, Warren Buffet and Richard Branson are also atheists)!!!
Can you imagine? i can count 10,000 poor christians a day without any stress.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Was People Reaction When You Told Them About Your Belief As An Atheist by Oloruntobi4382(m): 12:27pm On Jul 20, 2017
lepasharon:

are you sure?
Re: What Was People Reaction When You Told Them About Your Belief As An Atheist by lepasharon(f): 12:28pm On Jul 20, 2017
Oloruntobi4382:
are you sure?

Yes?
Re: What Was People Reaction When You Told Them About Your Belief As An Atheist by Oloruntobi4382(m): 12:29pm On Jul 20, 2017
OtemAtum:

grin It shouldn't shock us when ambassagod turns out to be another 4evergod cheesy
Just joking
Is that Analice and Chinedu?
Re: What Was People Reaction When You Told Them About Your Belief As An Atheist by Oloruntobi4382(m): 12:39pm On Jul 20, 2017
jonbellion:
Hmm well I'm not an atheist but to most people in Nigeria it would seem like a shock because it's not common in Africa and even the ones that are keep it to themselves which tbh isn't helping matters You see the average christian definition of an unbeliever is someone that is just confused it doesn't know much about their religion. But the average athiest is not like that. The average atheist knows about their religion more that some of them ever will so when they see people talking like that they are like *gasp!* he/she has reasonable opinions that contradict mine??!!...
Nice to hear about your experience. And what you said about a non-theist knowing more about christianity and it's doctrine than an average christian is so much true. Sometimes ago, i lost almost all my friends(mostly staunch Yahwists) because of my belief. You will hear them say:

"Tobi, you are possessed by a demon." shocked The same way the wife of a fraudster said on NL

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nairaland Babalawo Displays Photos & Videos Of His Ogun Festival / The Mystery Of The Trinity / Encounter Of Heaven And Hell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.