Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,129 members, 7,849,540 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 11:44 PM

They Took Our Oil For 45 Years Without Giving Basic Facilities Delta Community - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / They Took Our Oil For 45 Years Without Giving Basic Facilities Delta Community (1499 Views)

‘they're Planning To Grab Our Oil Wells’ - Gov. Wike Cries Out / See Question APC Asked Nigerians Before They Took Over(photo) / Quit Notice: I Have Been In Bosso For 45 Years, Where Do I Go? – Yoruba Leader (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

They Took Our Oil For 45 Years Without Giving Basic Facilities Delta Community by Blue3k2: 11:38pm On Jul 22, 2017
By Innocent Onoja

The leadership of Ojobo, host community to Shell Nigeria Plc in Burutu Council Area of Delta State, has appealed to the oil giant to provide basic amenities for the oil-rich community.

The appeal came during an event to mark a successful community leadership election/swearing-in held about a month ago.

Ojobo had been known for electoral violence over the years.

The newly elected chairman, Chief Etito E. Ekolo, thanked the people of the community for the trust reposed in him and pledged to work hard for the well-being of the community.

Ekolo also pledged to work for peace and unity of the community to ensure that the prevalent electoral violence in the community became a thing of the past.

He decried the plight of the community being an oil producing community for decades without having access to good living conditions and urged Shell, Delta State and the federal government to do justice  by providing electricity, potable water and a link road to the community.

In his speech, the traditional ruler of Ojobo, Chief Thompson Brisibe, said that Shell started operations in the community since 1971, saying the community had been struggling for electricity and other amenities since then.

He called on Shell and the federal government to attend to the plight of the people, stressing that the nation had been benefiting from the community’s oil for over 45 years with nothing to show for it.

Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/07/took-oil-45-years-without-giving-us-basic-facilities-delta-community/

Front Page: Mynd44 lalasticlala
Re: They Took Our Oil For 45 Years Without Giving Basic Facilities Delta Community by Cameleon72(f): 11:44pm On Jul 22, 2017
G
Re: They Took Our Oil For 45 Years Without Giving Basic Facilities Delta Community by Blue3k2: 11:51pm On Jul 22, 2017
45 years and nothing to show that indicates systemic failure. Are you guys OK your calling on Shell and federal government to provide you with basic amenities. If you guys haven't figured it out by now top down development doesn't work. NDDC and federal government won't notice you from Abuja.

Shell on top of paying taxes is supposed to provide electricity, water and roads? What do your local and state government do all day? A functional government should be able to provide for roads, water, trash pickup etc with taxes generated by people. 45 years of paying taxes and nothing I see why you guys turned militant.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: They Took Our Oil For 45 Years Without Giving Basic Facilities Delta Community by Dollyak(f): 11:57pm On Jul 22, 2017
The argument about being made poorer because of poor eco system is valid. Nevertheless, this doesn't excuse the mismanagement of their leaders. How could you enjoy such huge allocation per head and complain of poverty.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: They Took Our Oil For 45 Years Without Giving Basic Facilities Delta Community by Freemancipation: 12:12am On Jul 23, 2017
If you are from an oil producing community in the niger delta and you don't have a mordern city that looks like this, then you and your people have been scammed.

1. Dubai
2. Houston texas

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: They Took Our Oil For 45 Years Without Giving Basic Facilities Delta Community by Blitzerz: 12:15am On Jul 23, 2017
Shell remains one of the evil Legs of Imperialism in Nigeria.

I sincerely Pray they fold up.
Niger Delta and Nigeria will be better for it.

4 Likes

Re: They Took Our Oil For 45 Years Without Giving Basic Facilities Delta Community by Freemancipation: 12:17am On Jul 23, 2017
Blitzerz:
Shell remains one of the evil Legs of Colonialism and Imperialism in Nigeria.

I sincerely Pray they fold up.
Niger Delta and Nigeria will be better for it.

Shell? Who gave them the authority to operate and even partner with them. Isn't it the same NIgerian government that you are trying to deflect the blame from?

Also last I checked, shell is a private company and it isn't their job to develop people's land. All they are supposed to do is to pay their taxes.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: They Took Our Oil For 45 Years Without Giving Basic Facilities Delta Community by Blitzerz: 12:19am On Jul 23, 2017
Dollyak:
The argument about being made poorer because of poor eco system is valid. Nevertheless, this doesn't excuse the mismanagement of their leaders. How could you enjoy such huge allocation per head and complain of poverty.

Mismanagement in Nigeria is systemic. So its not really their fault.
The Nigerian constitution favours mismanagement of public funds. And the grassroot cant change that.

2 Likes

Re: They Took Our Oil For 45 Years Without Giving Basic Facilities Delta Community by Blitzerz: 12:21am On Jul 23, 2017
Freemancipation:

Shell? Who gave them the authority to operate and even partner with them. Isn't it the same NIgerian government that you are trying to deflect the blame from?
I never suggested that the NIGERIAN government is innocent in all of this.
I wonder how u arrived at that conclusion.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: They Took Our Oil For 45 Years Without Giving Basic Facilities Delta Community by Freemancipation: 12:23am On Jul 23, 2017
Blitzerz:

I never suggested that the NIGERIAN government is innocent in all of this.
I wonder how u arrived at that conclusion.

You forgot for some reason to name the key player while blaming shell.

4 Likes

Re: They Took Our Oil For 45 Years Without Giving Basic Facilities Delta Community by Blitzerz: 12:27am On Jul 23, 2017
Freemancipation:

You forgot for some reason to name the key player while blaming shell.
So that is how you got the conclusion that I assumed government was innocent?

By the way, I was not on a mission to name ALL PLAYERS.
The subject of my comment was Shell.
Re: They Took Our Oil For 45 Years Without Giving Basic Facilities Delta Community by Freemancipation: 12:30am On Jul 23, 2017
Blitzerz:

So that is how you got the conclusion that I assumed government was innocent?

By the way, I was not on a mission to name ALL PLAYERS.
The subject of my comment was Shell.

It's like me blaming the problem of the north on boko haram without mentioning their main enablers which is the northern elites and their decades of miseducation and neglects. I hope you see where I am coming from.

3 Likes

Re: They Took Our Oil For 45 Years Without Giving Basic Facilities Delta Community by Nobody: 12:36am On Jul 23, 2017

This is a mirror to the bigger picture of the realities of existence and survivability within the length and breadth of the niger delta,

This is partly accentuated by misgovernance at the grassroots, the ladder(down-up) approach will drastically ameliorate this cacophony of hellish livelihood.

The monstrous pageants of miss-apporpriation at localities and lower strata burgeons on blazing the trail for this oddities.

Like the proported stalin - chicken hypnotherapy of psychological hocus-pocus,
After almost killing a chicken by plucking off its feathers, you throw cereal (corn) to it, then watch it staggering to pick them up and eat at your feet, forgetting, it was you who almost killed it, despite its excruciating encounter, it beckons at your corn??

Voila..... Such is the scenario here,
If at this point youths choose to become political hand tools for electoral misgivings and thuggery, then the future remains bleak,

Despite the fact of 13%derivation,nddc projects, huge federal allocations, royalties etc,
And the leaders are not held accountable, imagine the proportion of the possibility for resource control, he who cannot make do with little, will be a disaster in plenty,

Niger delta have sacrificed a lot for Nigeria, she deserves more than what she gets, the environmental degradation is testament to this fact,
However, it's time to rise up and be counted, if the energy expended in militancy can be simultaneously rechannelled to demanding accountability and judicious use of funds from both state, local and communal governments, then the tides will surely upturn,let charity begin at home.

Oil price devaluation in the global market was hastened with alternative rising and us revolution of the shale oil, surplus production, Iran disembargo, non-opec members oil parallelism, renewable technological increase etc

Hence, this is the right time for oil to be maximized, especially for the goose that lay the golden egg, whilst plans for aftermath of oil era should begin in earnest, oil is no curse, it is our actions and inactions that makes it a blessing or curse,
Diversification is not just for other zones, even the Niger delta needs it,the North is reawakening with reagriculturalization, the other zones should not de-agriculturalize either, every zone should be up to it, comparatively to crops and agro-produce that is favourable to her ecosystems laced in value chain addition.

As niger delta sets for resource control in future or multiplicity in her resources from oil, she should begin to prepare by holding her leaders accountable. Get rid of the enemy within first-............. The multidimensional hydraheaded bastion of economic retrigression, the bad leaders in your midst. Say no to use and dump, forget the crumbs, think of tomorrow and look at the bigger picture.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: They Took Our Oil For 45 Years Without Giving Basic Facilities Delta Community by Blitzerz: 12:43am On Jul 23, 2017
Freemancipation:

It's like me blaming the problem of the north on boko haram without mentioning their main enablers which is the northern elites and their decades of miseducation and neglects. I hope you see where I am coming from.
I cant see where you are coming from.
Every Comment has a subject. Otherwise, Talk will continue forever.
Re: They Took Our Oil For 45 Years Without Giving Basic Facilities Delta Community by Amberon11: 4:09am On Jul 23, 2017
Sad
Re: They Took Our Oil For 45 Years Without Giving Basic Facilities Delta Community by Nobody: 7:10am On Jul 23, 2017
Let them ask their Community Leaders what they are doing with the money allocated to them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: They Took Our Oil For 45 Years Without Giving Basic Facilities Delta Community by Smily202(m): 7:36am On Jul 23, 2017
Wetin concern Shell in providing Basic amenities. ??
Join biafran strugle and liberate yourselves from this scammed marriage called Nigeria and be incharge of ur resources.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: They Took Our Oil For 45 Years Without Giving Basic Facilities Delta Community by hammerF: 7:39am On Jul 23, 2017
DIS IS Y I LOVE THE IJAWS.

THEY ASK THE MOST VALID QUESTION IN THE WHOLE NIGER-DELTA.

THEY ARE PREPARED TO FIGHT FOR THEIR RIGHT.

CAN WE SAY THE SAME FOR FRATERMATHY PEOPLE AND OTHER TIMID NIGERDELTANS?

THE AVERAGE IGBO MAN BELIEVES IN RESOURCE CONTROL, BECOS THEY TOO HAVE OIL AMONG GOLD AND MANY OTHER RESOURCES OF THEIR OWN. (INVESTIGATES STATES AND RESOURCES TO FIND OUT)

IF ANYTHING, IN RIVERS, IT IS U PEOPLE THAT HAVE TAKEN OUR RESOURCES(OIL) BY CUTTING OUT COMMUNITIES FROM ABIA AND IMO INTO RIVERS, AND SEPARATING THEM FROM THEIR KINS.

HATING IGBO WILL NOT HELP U, AS A PEOPLE, U ARE IN SERIOUS TROUBLE.

THE IGBOS ARE NOT EXEMPT, WE ARE ALL IN IT TOGETHER, SS/SE.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: They Took Our Oil For 45 Years Without Giving Basic Facilities Delta Community by Nobody: 8:14am On Jul 23, 2017
The Colonialists through the MNCs milk the resources of the developing countries,the MNCs give the host countries crumbs,the leaders of the host countries loot the crumbs and give the bones to the state governments ,the governors loot the bones and nothing is left for the indigenes.Welcome to Africa

1 Like

Re: They Took Our Oil For 45 Years Without Giving Basic Facilities Delta Community by PatriotTemidayo: 8:31am On Jul 23, 2017
Should we blame shell or the multinationals?

Shell only do to us what our leaders permit them to do.

When the leaders get big brown envelop, they allow the stranger devour their people at will.

Blame the LEADERS and not the DEALERS.
Re: They Took Our Oil For 45 Years Without Giving Basic Facilities Delta Community by Warship: 8:35am On Jul 23, 2017
This is the type of thread Fratermathy should be found and not fighting Biafrans whose struggle will benefit his people
Re: They Took Our Oil For 45 Years Without Giving Basic Facilities Delta Community by gberra: 12:44am On Jul 25, 2017
Dollyak:

Hope it's not the same excuse.
Re: They Took Our Oil For 45 Years Without Giving Basic Facilities Delta Community by tit(f): 1:16am On Jul 25, 2017
our oyel
our oyel
this Igbos of ojobo no get sense

1 Like 1 Share

Re: They Took Our Oil For 45 Years Without Giving Basic Facilities Delta Community by Nigeriadondie: 1:26am On Jul 25, 2017
Saying that Shell should provide social amenities to the community is a senseless idea resulting from thinking with d anus rather than d brain.

Where are the local govts and d useless state government headed by rogues likes cone headed Uduaghan and armed robber Ibori who all embezzled mindlessly that even babies in d womb knew that d treasuries were completely looted? All the useless south south states inspite of d huge monthly federal allocation, generated revenues, NDDC projects, Ministry of Niger Delta, 13% derivation, loans, grants still have the worst in all aspects.

Useless people who should realise that at best Shell can only do it part as corporate social responsibility not to take over the sole responsibility of d govt which is the welfare and the security of the people. Afterall, I know other countries where Shell operates but have never taken over d sole duty of govt.
Nigeria is doomed not only with bad leadership but sick and docile follwership who dont even know d real source of their unending woes.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: They Took Our Oil For 45 Years Without Giving Basic Facilities Delta Community by cjrane: 1:28am On Jul 25, 2017
An African sounding name just ordered 8,000 pieces of this from my friend in Minsk.
Is it a water pump?

Re: They Took Our Oil For 45 Years Without Giving Basic Facilities Delta Community by SHAKABOOM: 5:35am On Jul 25, 2017
Slaves in luv with dia chains..Nigeria is not ur problem,Biafra ad ibos are the problem.
You guys should continue sitting on the fence the moving train of freedom will surely pass u guys buy.
Dem use una resources develop lagos ad abuja to add salt to injury dem carry oil company head office commot for una region..Make una relax,all is well.na until oil become worthless dem parasites go develop una region.
Re: They Took Our Oil For 45 Years Without Giving Basic Facilities Delta Community by mrvitalis(m): 6:21am On Jul 25, 2017
SHAKABOOM:
Slaves in luv with dia chains..Nigeria is not ur problem,Biafra ad ibos are the problem.
You guys should continue sitting on the fence the moving train of freedom will surely pass u guys buy.
Dem use una resources develop lagos ad abuja to add salt to injury dem carry oil company head office commot for una region..Make una relax,all is well.na until oil become worthless dem parasites go develop una region.

I really wonder how you expect reasonable people to believe once Biafra is here every thing will be alright even without a plan and believing that Nigeria can never be improved and only Biafra can

As if the leaders of Biafra will fall from heaven
Re: They Took Our Oil For 45 Years Without Giving Basic Facilities Delta Community by SHAKABOOM: 6:28am On Jul 25, 2017
mrvitalis:

I really wonder how you expect reasonable people to believe once Biafra is here every thing will be alright even without a plan and believing that Nigeria can never be improved and only Biafra can

As if the leaders of Biafra will fall from heaven
Nigeria will never work..Nigeria is more than 40 and a fool at 40 is a fool forever..The only way out is to try sumtin new,by dividing the country.
Re: They Took Our Oil For 45 Years Without Giving Basic Facilities Delta Community by tinz: 6:46am On Jul 25, 2017
Mumu Niger Deltans. Imagine you guys are appealing for your right what a caused people indeed. Someone is out there fighting for your right all you people can say is they are after our Oil instead of you to show support and see the positive side of the story while you worship that who have ruled you for 45 years without showing for it. The reason the whites and other politicians don't like igbos is because they are the only tribe in Nigeria who has the mind to challenge them and say it as it is. I pray the oil drys up maybe that when you guys will learn your lessons
Re: They Took Our Oil For 45 Years Without Giving Basic Facilities Delta Community by pelumi111: 6:48am On Jul 25, 2017
they gave your people money to develop your region it is your people that park the money I.e you leaders abi how is Tompolo and others rich just look at how your village chiefs are enjoying which moni do you think they are spending and yet you have no basic ammenities.....wise up

1 Like 1 Share

Re: They Took Our Oil For 45 Years Without Giving Basic Facilities Delta Community by 989900: 6:55am On Jul 25, 2017
Keep hailing your failed leaders and all amenities will automatically appear.

Ask Ibori for loan now?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Visit Of Governors To SE Without IPOB Reps Is Laughable – Robert Okpara / If Only You Know What Is Really Going On In This Country. / Freshfm Demolition: Irate Youths Destroy Anything Carrying OYSG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.