Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,998 members, 7,838,512 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:10 AM

What Will Become Of Soludo? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Will Become Of Soludo? (6495 Views)

Apc's Reply To Prof Charles Soludo / APGA Appeal Panel Upholds Disqualification Of Soludo And Five Others In Anambra / Aftermath Of Soludo's Disqualification, Ngige's Rating Skyrockets. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Will Become Of Soludo? by dozai: 10:38pm On Feb 09, 2010
The man soludo forgot that Anambrarians has stood up to be counted. The worst APGA or AC or PPA government is better than the best PDP government. The point remains that Soludo joined the wrong party. The party that destroyed the state and brought it to a standstill. An average anambrarian will never vote for a PDP government no matter who. Even if Moses, Elijah or even Elisha contests in the platform of PDP in anambra, they will loose.

Well i pity him tho. Maybe just maybe PDP should just reward him with Ambassador to Afghanistan.
Re: What Will Become Of Soludo? by dozai: 10:41pm On Feb 09, 2010
The man soludo forgot that Anambrarians has stood up to be counted. The worst APGA or AC or PPA government is better than the best PDP government. The point remains that Soludo joined the wrong party. The party that destroyed the state and brought it to a standstill. An average anambrarian will never vote for a PDP government no matter who. Even if Moses, Elijah or even Elisha contests in the platform of PDP in anambra, they will loose.

Well i pity him tho. Maybe just maybe PDP should just reward him with Ambassador to Afghanistan.
Re: What Will Become Of Soludo? by Eziachi: 12:55am On Feb 10, 2010
comoros:

Take note please, I'm not soiling anyone's name as I have no personal vendetta against Soludo or the CBN. And since you are an expert in banking, could you please educate me a little on why Sanusi, in his first few months as CBN governor, uncovered a decay in the banking system that Soludo (with all his foreign training and Pound Sterling salaries) failed to see? This is Nairaland, a public forum where people can discuss their opinions as it concerns various issues, according to their perception of the said issue, and that's why I've expressed my candid view of the issue. I am open to correction but I thought the Code of Conduct Bureau deals with public office holders, not 'FORMER' officers like Soludo. Moreover, the scam was discovered shortly after his tenure, so it's a case for EFCC and I'm pretty sure that they are not relaxing.
And please be informed that all commercial banks in Nigeria are public companies listed on the NSE, not private companies as you have affirmed. Finally, Soludo cannot be said to be a saint because he has not yet been turned in for questioning. You and I know that he failed in 4 years in the area where Sanusi excelled in a few months, and its only logical to hold my opinion that Soludo was probably privy to the recklessness of the Bank CEOs. He had the powers to make that change just as he had powers to replace them but he didn't. The big question is WHY??

Sanusi uncovering the decay as you called it was rather circumstantial rather than foresight by design. You forgot that Sanusi is one of the three deputy governors to Soludo, was Soludo running the CBN all by himself?
The decay in Nigerian banking only came to the fore because of the banking Armageddon in the West especially in the U.S and the U.K. (where they raise facilities through forex and other means)
It becomes difficult for some of these Nigerian banks to keep up the appearance because they can no longer borrow from the ailing foreign banks and the one’s they owe, they have been asked to pay it back in full and when they couldn’t and when foreign banks start petitioning the Nigerian central bank, that is how Sanusi came in and as it happen when he tenure began.
Like I said before, CBN is the banker of the government and not accounting firm of commercial or merchant banks and they are neither financial ombudsman either. Banks are private/commercial enterprises outside government. In the U.K for instance, it wasn’t the Bank of England or their governor that was blamed but rather the official regulatory bodies like Financial Services Authority (FSA) and it was the same in the U.S, Germany, France, Lithuania or Iceland.
I am of medical background, not a banker, but you don’t need to be an Alan Greenspan to know some of these simple things in banking, unless you haven’t at least bought a share or even a bond. Those accusing Soludo regarding what Sanusi was said to have uncovered are either naive or has no clue as to how a central bank operates or its functions. Let me conclude by telling you that what Sanusi did, had it been in advance world, he could easily had been sued because it’s illegal to some extent, as he had no right to interfere in private business of corporations unless that bank keep a significant public money with it or they failed against the country’s banking laws and in that case, the job of the police.
I don't hold briefs for Soludo, but I will like to hear or see what he has actually done to warrant all the innuendos and accusations, of which non has been shown so far.
Re: What Will Become Of Soludo? by Eziachi: 1:19am On Feb 10, 2010
comoros:

And please be informed that all commercial banks in Nigeria are public companies listed on the NSE, not private companies as you have affirmed. Finally, Soludo cannot be said to be a saint because he has not yet been turned in for questioning. You and I know that he failed in 4 years in the area where Sanusi excelled in a few months, and its only logical to hold my opinion that Soludo was probably privy to the recklessness of the Bank CEOs. He had the powers to make that change just as he had powers to replace them but he didn't. The big question is WHY??

Yes believe it or not banks are private companies listed on NSE, just like companies as UAC, AG LEVENTIS, RT BRISCOE, LEYLAND and many othe firms must have been listed in th estock index market. It doesn't mean that they are government property but have to live with the set rule by the government monetory agency.

Even in free market economy, NSE not a government agency but rather like a club of companies floating their share in that market for people to buy share, trade on their shares on a daily basis. So why do you think that Chairman or CEO of NSE is not appointed or annointed by the govt but rather between member of that club as I use to calll them?
That is why in London there are at least 4 stock markets like Nigerian NSE, the most popular being the the owned by Financial times called the FTSE an their rule is that they have an index of just 100 top companies. In the U.S there are over 40 stock market indexes but he most known being NASDAQ, dow jones or S&P 500. Any person or group can start an equivalent of NSE, unless Nigerian banking system is different from the rest of the world.

There is no way, as far as modern banking is concerned where CBN governor should know the day to day affair of what is happening in a commercial bank. It is like saying that the minister of Transport is privy to what is happening at Sosoliso airline. Unless the airline got into trouble that comes to the attention of the minster and he decide to investigate.
Re: What Will Become Of Soludo? by Eziachi: 1:25am On Feb 10, 2010
Bokoharam:

@comoros
U dont need to say much. it is on record that the banking sector under SOLUDO never was audited for 4 GOOD years. While Soludo ws busy dining with Devils & taking 'egunje,' d banking was busy burning unmanned. U dont need to say much. U re very right. Anambra would have seen hell if Soludo had won this elections. Bros, u re on ground. Can u recount hw many souls Soludo threw out of job in banks? U dont need to say much. The facts are clear.

I'm so happy that the widh of the masses (poor, suffering masses) of Anambra prevailed.

If I were you, I will concentrate on what I knew at least little about. How does a government bank audits a private/commercial bank. Do you know the meaning of that word AUDIT?
Go and get some knowledge or at least shut up. I am often surprise at our young generation's ignorant and ineptness in of a world covered in pools of knowledge aids. HABA!
Re: What Will Become Of Soludo? by Eziachi: 1:39am On Feb 10, 2010
chidichris:

@mikeansy,
i had always known that you are this brainless.
which real life are u talking about on a man who raised n2b during his campeign, won all the public opinion on media, the self acclaimed solution to anambra problem, the deciet of our time who claimed of his ability to turn anambra to dubai and taiwan overnite(very old fashioned story) had all the backings he needed yet lost in the real election. politically, anambra ppl made him feel like nothing. he did not only loose, he cld only get third position.
he is less than a man. let him go into the labour market outside nigeria to show us that he can do without nigeria like okonjo iweala did.
if you are normal, a suicide decission shld be moving arround u by now for loosing to less popular men.
if soludo could not do this under the backing of the federal troops, it means, he can't win a local govt chairmanship election on his own.
if possible, i will suggest soludo to go and start from his counlorship ward election to test his popularity.
anambra ppl has showed him how unimportant he is.
I was against Soludo’s candidacy from start to finish because I felt he is not on the ground enough to be a governor and his lack of political experience too and the biggest, being the candidate of a party that wanted to destroy Igboland.  But some of you are going too far with this name calling thing. Is it a crime to lose an election? Losing an election doesn’t mean that you are a bad person. It is politics and in politics, the best person, does not often or always win.
President Obama failed in his first attempt into Illinois assembly seat and also their state senate seat too before he succeeded nd then to the U.S senate.  Tony Blair failed in his first attempt even to become a labour candidate in the primaries, let alone the proper candidate in the actual election.  Churchill after winning the world war for Britain was voted out of power at the next election by his people but still a British iconic figure till this day. You guys should get a grip.
Re: What Will Become Of Soludo? by comoros: 3:32am On Feb 10, 2010
Eziachi:

Yes believe it or not banks are private companies listed on NSE, just like companies as UAC, AG LEVENTIS, RT BRISCOE, LEYLAND and many othe firms must have been listed in th estock index market. It doesn't mean that they are government property but have to live with the set rule by the government monetory agency.
Firstly, maybe you should find out what PLC means. I said all commercial banks in Nigeria are public companies, i.e. public limited liability, not government companies or parastatals, ok? Secondly, since the CBN's searchlight should not beam into the internal issues of the said banks, where did the governor source the powers to remove the defaulting CEOs and replace them with new ones? Before Soludo was appointed as CBN governor, the government recognised the need to increase public confidence in Nigerian banks, especially after the unfortunate crash of some banks that I suppose you knew e.g Savannah, Societe Generale e.t.c
That was what triggered the banking reforms initiated by Soludo and it led to the emergence of some 25 mega banks. The new banks became 'trustworthy' but that shouldn't have made the CBN any less effective in discharging its functions. The CBN is not only a government bank, it is also the bank of other banks, which means the mega banks hold accounts with the CBN. That is why I said the CBN under Soludo failed to perform its oversight functions. The CBN shouldn't just sit back and expect things to go wrong first when it can actually prevent it. I'm sure you forgot that between Cecilia Ibru and Erastus Akingbola alone, over 30 Billion dollars have been siezed in properties or frozen in accounts as the case may be. That amount is about the average annual budget of Ghana , so how can you explain this? I'm sure the MD/CEO of Barclays Bank, HSBC or even Bank of America can own properties worth that much without being investigated, shebi? angry
Re: What Will Become Of Soludo? by Abeem(m): 5:03am On Feb 10, 2010
Eziachi:

Sanusi uncovering the decay as you called it was rather circumstantial rather than foresight by design. You forgot that Sanusi is one of the three deputy governors to Soludo, was Soludo running the CBN all by himself?

Ops!!! Not true. Sanusi wasn't one of the three deputy governors to Soludo. He was appointed from the position of MD/CEO of First Bank of Nigeria, plc.  He was the helms man at FBN, plc for a couple months and before then he was Executive Director, Risk Management of the same bank.

The decay in Nigerian banking only came to the fore because of the banking Armageddon in the West especially in the U.S and the U.K. (where they raise facilities through forex and other means)
It becomes difficult for some of these Nigerian banks to keep up the appearance because they can no longer borrow from the ailing foreign banks and the one’s they owe, they have been asked to pay it back in full and when they couldn’t and when foreign banks start petitioning the Nigerian central bank, that is how Sanusi came in and as it happen when he tenure began.
If you say the spill-over of the banking crisis in the West precipitated the crisis in Nigeria banks, you are not far from the truth and you are partially correct.  But that is one angle to it. Even though the crisis in the West dried up funds at the interbank market and credit facilities were short in supply, I do not think that impacted the local banks in Nigeria very much.  Those banks that were adversely affected by the credit crunch were those maintaing correspondence relationship with offshore banks for purposes of letter of credit confirmation and the like. Also, because most of the Nigerian banks were doing well according to the Nigerian Stock Exchange share indices at some time, the foreign banks had invested in the Nigerian banks. Following the credit crunch abroad, the offshore banks decided to offload their investments in the Nigeria banks. The selling of the shares created many problems for the Nigerian banks:- First, following the offloading of the shares, share prices at the Stock Exchange began a free-fall creating a panick selling at the market. Second, because many of the bank had lent to many of their customers to buy their shares and many other companies shares against the security of those shares (margin loans), the shares fell under water (worth less than their actual purchase prices), the banks became over-exposed with inadequate collateral to cover their exposure. As a result, the banks were forced to make large provisions for bad and doubtful debt as most of the debtors simply walk away from their debts.

Like I said before, CBN is the banker of the government and not accounting firm of commercial or merchant banks and they are neither financial ombudsman either. Banks are private/commercial enterprises outside government. In the U.K for instance, it wasn’t the Bank of England or their governor that was blamed but rather the official regulatory bodies like Financial Services Authority (FSA) and it was the same in the U.S, Germany, France, Lithuania or Iceland.
I am of medical background, not a banker, but you don’t need to be an Alan Greenspan to know some of these simple things in banking, unless you haven’t at least bought a share or even a bond. Those accusing Soludo regarding what Sanusi was said to have uncovered are either naive or has no clue as to how a central bank operates or its functions. Let me conclude by telling you that what Sanusi did, had it been in advance world, he could easily had been sued because it’s illegal to some extent, as he had no right to interfere in private business of corporations unless that bank keep a significant public money with it or they failed against the country’s banking laws and in that case, the job of the police.
I don't hold briefs for Soludo, but I will like to hear or see what he has actually done to warrant all the innuendos and accusations, of which non has been shown so far.
This argument is not correct. If the US Federal Reserve Bank Chairman, Ben Bernanke had decided to stay aloof and not interefere in the banking crisis that almost brought American economy to the precipice in September 2008, the price of his inaction and the damage that would have been done to the US economy in particular and the world economy in general is better left to imagination. The intervention of the Fed and the US Treasury have saved many banks and some have been allowed to go under. Suffice to say he would not have coasted home with the approval of his second term by congress the past week after his nomination by his boss, President Obama.  He got 77 votes from the Senators out of a possible 100 counts.
I also need to say that there are a couple of legislations in Nigeria - Banks and Other Financial Institution Act of 1991 plus the Failed Banks (Recovery of Debts) And Financial Malpractices in Banks Act of 1994 which gives Sanusi power as CBN governor to intervene to check abuses in banks. This is necessary to protect depositors interest and sanitize the banking sector in order to put the economy on a sound footing. The financial intermediation roles the banks plays in an economy is too important to leave it to the cruel hands of thieves to manipulate. Government regulation is of absolute necessity.
Re: What Will Become Of Soludo? by comoros: 5:28am On Feb 10, 2010
@Abeem
Abeg tell Eziachi o. He said he is in the medical profession, but he argues without such depth of knowledge as you have displayed here. Na him first talk say Sanusi na Deputy governor to Soludo, na him still talk say Soludo no get power to interfere with commercial banks' activities and I wondered if his TV was a Black and White powered with kerosene, otherwise where would he possibly have got such news from? Eziachi, abeg hold your syringes well and leave banking issues to the experts! grin tongue grin
Re: What Will Become Of Soludo? by otukpo(f): 8:41am On Feb 10, 2010
HE SHOULD GO BACK TO THE CLASSROOM.
Re: What Will Become Of Soludo? by sd6: 10:34am On Feb 10, 2010
@ Eziachi
did i hear u call nigerian graduates illiterate? Lets look at ur first sentence "what fact has you got"
Re: What Will Become Of Soludo? by mrtidy(m): 1:05pm On Feb 10, 2010
Soludo is very popular with his merger deed and a lot of nigerians including anambrarians like and are proud of him enough to make him win an election as a governor but he sure mixed up with the wrong crowd. PDP is criminal from conception/founding, criminal in operations and criminal in administration anyone who associates with PDP is 100% sure to be perceived as a criminal. Soludo's failure however unfortunate for the man is a true sign that Nigerian voters know what they want.
Re: What Will Become Of Soludo? by rebranded(m): 1:31pm On Feb 10, 2010
EFCC will try and prosecute Soludo, he will probably leave the Country just like Ribadu and El rufai
Re: What Will Become Of Soludo? by lannre(m): 1:38pm On Feb 10, 2010
but the poor masses that invested so much in shares, and those that have lost their job due to this fraud in the banking sector are not interested in nomenclature,the mass disengagement of young vibrant workers who knows nothing about the fraud is disheartening
Re: What Will Become Of Soludo? by peterolo: 1:43pm On Feb 10, 2010
soludo is not a politician, who sent him
Re: What Will Become Of Soludo? by Eziachi: 3:57pm On Feb 10, 2010
comoros:

Firstly, maybe you should find out what PLC means. I said all commercial banks in Nigeria are public companies, i.e. public limited liability, not government companies or parastatals, ok? Secondly, since the CBN's searchlight should not beam into the internal issues of the said banks, where did the governor source the powers to remove the defaulting CEOs and replace them with new ones? Before Soludo was appointed as CBN governor, the government recognised the need to increase public confidence in Nigerian banks, especially after the unfortunate crash of some banks that I suppose you knew e.g Savannah, Societe Generale e.t.c
That was what triggered the banking reforms initiated by Soludo and it led to the emergence of some 25 mega banks. The new banks became 'trustworthy' but that shouldn't have made the CBN any less effective in discharging its functions. The CBN is not only a government bank, it is also the bank of other banks, which means the mega banks hold accounts with the CBN. That is why I said the CBN under Soludo failed to perform its oversight functions. The CBN shouldn't just sit back and expect things to go wrong first when it can actually prevent it. I'm sure you forgot that between Cecilia Ibru and Erastus Akingbola alone, over 30 Billion dollars have been siezed in properties or frozen in accounts as the case may be. That amount is about the average annual budget of Ghana , so how can you explain this? I'm sure the MD/CEO of Barclays Bank, HSBC or even Bank of America can own properties worth that much without being investigated, shebi? angry

Yes I knew what PLC means. It means Public Liability Company or corporation. That mean it is a company trading in specific stock market, where people can buy and sale it shares and it’s only accountable to it shareholders.
A PLC company is not accountable to government but to it shareholders only. It Chairmen or C.E.O are appointed by it board of directors and the directors are elected by the Shareholders during it annual share meetings or by postal vote. A PLC is mandated to publish it’s activities for the year and that include the declaration of loses or dividend (share profit) to it shareholders. If you have ever had a share, you must be aware of this most simplistic thing. GO and get some knowledge.
Re: What Will Become Of Soludo? by Eziachi: 4:10pm On Feb 10, 2010
rebranded:

EFCC will try and prosecute Soludo, he will probably leave the Country just like Ribadu and El rufai

I agree with you but EFCC should charge him not prosecute him as that is the job of the law court. Until he is charged, tried, find guilty or prosecuted, it is totally know to call someone a thief when you and I got no evidence or reference to support that.

Some one even said he was aloof. Even if that is the case, aloofness is not a crime, so too is incompetence. They said he turned a blind eyes, I kept asking any evidence to support that, because that is a serious crime in my thinking, for someone to see something wrong but deliberately refuse to act. But not a single person has laid a claim to support such henious crime.
I don't like rumours, it's obvious many of you enjoys it but I don't, because I have seen many innocent people destroyed with baseless allegations and rumours that aren't true. At the same time, I am not saying or claiming that Soludo is innocent either but, let us wait and see.
Re: What Will Become Of Soludo? by chidichris(m): 5:53pm On Feb 10, 2010
to start with, soludo does not know how to lair. he took anambra ppl for guarranted by telling them he will turn anambra to dubai and taiwan and that was very bad.
well, when fly refuse to heed to advise, he goes into the grave with corpse.
soluod is lucky for not succeeding in becoming the judas through whom anambr ppl wld have been handed over to the slave masters.
he is in the criminal gang (pdp) and as such, he will always find an excape route.
Re: What Will Become Of Soludo? by sizzlers(m): 6:21pm On Feb 10, 2010
the guy still dey 9ja?? i think say d guy don go world bank, i think they may reconsider!!! grin grin
Re: What Will Become Of Soludo? by safeact(m): 6:42pm On Feb 10, 2010
Crucify him!!! crucify him!! Crucify him!!! If u have never sinned,be d first to throw stone at him. U have all been talking as if u are all mr perfects. Excuse me pass jare.
Re: What Will Become Of Soludo? by vinceobe: 9:39am On Feb 11, 2010
This is a response to Chipmunkey's diatribe on Soludo.

It is technocrats we need in politics in Nigeria. We need serious minded archievers in their fields of specialization in political positions. We want them to transfers these feats into governance. Governance is not an allcomers affair. It is this hitherto misconception that make serious people to run away from politics. This is why politics in Nigeria has been left in the hands of political imbeciles and the consequence poor performance all round, reflecting in disgraceful underdevelopment in Nigeria.

My friend, governance is for seriosly people. We should register that in our thick skulls in Nigeria.

Cherio!!"
Re: What Will Become Of Soludo? by chidichris(m): 10:31am On Feb 11, 2010
na waa for soludo, even with all the billions raised for him, he cld not win so if he was left to do things on his own, maybe his family members wldn't vote him.
when i knew that he was on the failure lane was when the information came that movie stars were behind him and i look at the names, they were mostly wakapast authors and actoresses.
abeg what of okocha wey support him?
pls can someone tell soluod to come and account for all the billions raised during his campeign.
Re: What Will Become Of Soludo? by Caringpro(f): 10:50am On Feb 11, 2010
If Mr.Soludo really had any idea of transforming Anambra to Dubai or whatever [funny though] he calls it, he can be made Gov. Obi pecial adviser on Environment so that he can add to the state's growth!
Re: What Will Become Of Soludo? by egift(m): 5:45pm On Feb 11, 2010
chidichris:

na waa for soludo, even with all the billions raised for him, he cld not win so if he was left to do things on his own, maybe his family members wldn't vote him.
when i knew that he was on the failure lane was when the information came that movie stars were behind him and i look at the names, they were mostly wakapast authors and actoresses.
abeg what of okocha wey support him?
pls can someone tell soluod to come and account for all the billions raised during his campeign.

Or what

Am sure many of us here may not attend half of Soludo's achievements, yet they be the first to shout.

Its important to know in life you don't win it all. The wisdom is to raise and move on when you fall. We should all endeavour to do our best in life. I have my plans, we should all have.
Re: What Will Become Of Soludo? by comoros: 10:45pm On Feb 11, 2010
Eziachi:

Yes I knew what PLC means. It means Public Liability Company or corporation. That mean it is a company trading in specific stock market, where people can buy and sale it shares and it’s only accountable to it shareholders.
A PLC company is not accountable to government but to it shareholders only. It Chairmen or C.E.O are appointed by it board of directors and the directors are elected by the Shareholders during it annual share meetings or by postal vote. A PLC is mandated to publish it’s activities for the year and that include the declaration of loses or dividend (share profit) to it shareholders. If you have ever had a share, you must be aware of this most simplistic thing. GO and get some knowledge.

You have eventually visited your textbooks! Anyway, it's nothing personal but I admire the spirit with which you argue. Couldn't you have made a better career as a lawyer, rather than in the medical field?
Re: What Will Become Of Soludo? by lawrence83: 12:34pm On Feb 15, 2010
What apity
is just dawn on him that is dubai-taiwan dreams will be accomplished in kirikiri

EFCC . . , . . .much said.
Re: What Will Become Of Soludo? by diigirl: 7:11pm On Feb 15, 2010
I am beginning to wonder if it is now a crime to loose an election. What did you my people expect Soludo to do? Was he supposed to have done it the PDP way of do or die? He had the funds to do so (PDP governors donated billions o). Is it his fault that foreign investors withdrew thier "monies" which collapsed the capital market in Naija. Was Sanusi not involved in the "bad debt matter". Why do people do follow follow on this forum. If one person condemns another, others just dey follow like 'pepeye'. Allow the right organs to tackle Soludo if they have anything against him.
Re: What Will Become Of Soludo? by nadico(m): 3:02pm On Feb 18, 2010
He was just being unnecessarily greedy. He should have started out as a councillor so as to be totally in the acts of SELECTION AND DO OR DIE POLITICS, sorry o i mean election
Re: What Will Become Of Soludo? by obiem(m): 4:05pm On Feb 18, 2010
There's only one viable option for the Prof;

To head back to the Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Nigeria, Nsukka where until my final year his office was intact and the sign name on the door still read ''Prof C.C Soludo''. Even if it has been allocated to someone else, he sure will qualify as the dean of the faculty or some other position in the university.

There is a clear distinction between academia and politics, the Prof refused to see this even with his reputation at stake!
Re: What Will Become Of Soludo? by tunde1200(m): 6:30pm On Feb 18, 2010
soludo reason like normal nigerian man who has no shame of himself and his name. the day we start reason like oyinbo our go dey from that day
Re: What Will Become Of Soludo? by Bokoharam: 10:06am On Mar 04, 2010

Mkpotu

Re: What Will Become Of Soludo?
« #88 on: February 09, 2010, 12:27 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some times i wonder the angle some of these our Nairalanders are coming from.

Some say he was responsible for job loss, and you and I know that Soludo as CBN governor was responsible FOR MASSIVE JOB CREATION/EMPLOYMENT for our graduates right from the time he entered as CBN governor till he left. Nigerian banks were almost 100 when he assumed position as CBN governor in 2004, and that was when every tom manliness and harry can just come set up a bank in his locality and collect people's money after some time, it will fold and Nigerian banks were so weak then and I believe we had CBN governors and nobody crucified them.

Soludo came in as a renowned economist, saw that all these banks can be merged to create a BIGGER bank and equally create more jobs for Nigerians, because as at then, Unemployment rate in Nigeria was some what a thing of concern. Thus Soludo brought the idea of consolidation, mergers, Acquisition, Take-overs etc, which everybody accepted but if you dont believe it, ASK ANYBODY THAT GRADUATED BETWEEN 2004 TILL 2008, the only employer of people were Nigerian banks, thanks to SOLUDO.

Consolidation made Nigerian banks to be able to compete with other foregn banks, it equally gave room for expansion into other countries. Take your mind bank those days, it was only First Bank that has branch across Nigeria although weak, but with the emergence of Soludo's policy, banks like GTB, Zenith, UBA, Access, Oceanic, Diamond etc could boast of having offsore branches doing good business.

Soludo was being professional with the banks as CBN governor as the r/ship between CBN and commercial banks should be like banker/customer relationship ie fiduciary and secret. He dosent need to come and stout shouting that this bank is doing this or that to the public in order to do his job. See some of the things he did as CBN governor:

(a) Do you know that when Unity Bank abi Bank of the North was going down, do you know that the bank was bailed? Do you know that the MD, Alhaji Bulama was removed and charged to court? All these, he need not come out on television to start telling you that this bank is weak and that their MDs have squandered their money, thus he was more professional and today the bank is coming back gradually.

(b) Do you know that Spring Bank had problem, did he come out to start shouting that this bank is dying and that their MDs have done this or that, rather after seeing, the best bet was for them to be acquired or merged in order to secure depositors money, thus the PHB and Spring deal.
(c) What about WEMA bank?

(d) Do you equally remembered that Soludo gave Commercial banks ultimatum to have common financial year by December 31, 2009, in order to really determine the strength of the banks and to equally stop some pranks being played by banks which has been age-long.

(e) Was Soludo the cause of global Financial Meltdown?

(f) Was he responsible for fall of shares across the world and in Nigerian? Because u knw majority of those non-performing loans were MARGINAL FACILITY. And plz can you tell me the collateral required for transaction of this nature :margin facility?

(g) Was he responsible for the fall of crude oil across the world and in Nigeria? Note that some of those non-performing loans were equally as a result of investment into oil and crude oil price fell thus some these non-performing loans.

(h) If I may ask, do you think Cecilia Ibru and Erastus are worse than Jim Ovia of Zenith and Elumelu of UBA, if u dont know, politics equally plays a major role in all these drama.

(i) Why do you think Sanusi signed the 2nd Quarter result of Oceanic bank in July and in the next month, you removed the MD that she cooked her books, that is to say he is equally an accomplice.

I want to tell you guys that all these bank issue and sanitization are more political than you people.

AS SOME OF YOU ARE CRITICIZING SOLUDO, JUST BE A BIT COURTEOUS BECAUSE SANUSI LAMIDO IS NOT A SAINT either. If not, the First Bank where he was coming from, had the HIGHEST NON-PERFORMING LOAN yet his argument was that they have enof deposit to shoulder it. If he is a saint, why did he leave JIM & ELUMELU, why did he grant debt forgiveness to the tune of billions to SARAKI & DANGOTE, why did he sign Oceanic Bank 2nd quarter result and later come out to nullify, why is he now saying that Nigerian banks should be CATEGORIZED along REGION, MARKET & SECTORS. just because his main aim is to come and create ISLAMIC BANKING, thus the impression he has created in the atmosphere that banks under other peoples regime are sham.

MAKE we shine our eyes and stop castigating SOLUDO who I believe kept food in some of our tables by his policy as CBN governor, even if not directly to you but to your friend, class mate, husband, wife, boy friend, girl friend, brother or cousin.

I rest my case

@Mkpotu
Where is Yar'Adua today? Are u not one of those who are angry b/c people are NOt told the truth about goings on in the system? R u nt one of those criticising the NA & FEC for playing hide n seek with Nigerians? People want to know what is going on. People need info, whether good or bad. The more u shroud things with secrecy & darkness, the more people assume & peddle rumours that will eventually be more harmful. Let us NOT play double standard.

Mkpotu, "emezila mkpotu!" PPle want to knw what's going on; I believe u prefer to kknow too. So, relax.
Re: What Will Become Of Soludo? by Goddyj(m): 7:10pm On Feb 09, 2015
it's a pity that somebody like soludo could do this.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Snake Withdraws Cash At Barclays Bank ATM In Harare, Zimbabwe (pictures) / Nigerian Navy Special Forces On Airborne Training (photos) / Picture Of Zakzaky After Being Shot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.