Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,927 members, 7,835,091 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:47 AM

Senate Okays Independent Candidature For Elections - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Okays Independent Candidature For Elections (21613 Views)

Senate Okays HND As Minimum Qualification For President, Governors / Senate Okays Buhari’s $22.7 Billion Loan Request / Senate Okays 7.5% VAT And 6 Other Tax Hikes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Okays Independent Candidature For Elections by fyneguy: 6:02pm On Jul 26, 2017
The implication is bad.

A party can sponsor independent candidates in certain regions/states to reduce chances of rival party candidates.

For instance if my party is not popular in the SS and SE, I can sponsor 2 or 3 Presidential Candidates in each region to split votes while I get block votes from my region.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senate Okays Independent Candidature For Elections by Okoroawusa: 6:03pm On Jul 26, 2017
MemphisRaynes:
INEC to conduct LGA elections.
Not to Young to Run bill passed.
Independence candidature bill passed.

The Senate seems to have woken up.

Pres. Buhari and his cabal kept the Senate inactive with unecessary court cases all this while, they thought there were fighting Saraki et al, but we the ordinary Nigerians were the worst for it.
Mr Analyst,even buhari is d cause of ur miserable life.
Re: Senate Okays Independent Candidature For Elections by chukxy44(m): 6:05pm On Jul 26, 2017
If you popular enough, Visit INEC and purchase a form, enough of the noise upndown
Re: Senate Okays Independent Candidature For Elections by Dasgoro: 6:08pm On Jul 26, 2017
Nice move.
Re: Senate Okays Independent Candidature For Elections by don4real18(m): 6:08pm On Jul 26, 2017
With this development, I will like you all to know that I'll be contesting in the 2019 Lagos Governorship election... I trust I have Nairalanders support
Re: Senate Okays Independent Candidature For Elections by surgical: 6:08pm On Jul 26, 2017
MemphisRaynes:
INEC to conduct LGA elections.
Not to Young to Run bill passed.
Independence candidature bill passed.

The Senate seems to have woken up.

Pres. Buhari and his cabal kept the Senate inactive with unecessary court cases all this while, they thought there were fighting Saraki et al, but we the ordinary Nigerians were the worst for it.
Check out their activities from begining to date devoid of any propaganda,with clear eyes you will see they have been our saving grace from the rough deal the present executive will have handed us. I am talking of an objective assesment.
Re: Senate Okays Independent Candidature For Elections by Nobody: 6:09pm On Jul 26, 2017
This is good!
Re: Senate Okays Independent Candidature For Elections by PDPGuy: 6:10pm On Jul 26, 2017
BendDownSelect:
This offer looks good cheesy cheesy but in all honesty, more like some people are planning to stand alone. ie Bukola
Lol. It will also benefit the likes of Atiku, Donald Duke or Peter Obi

3 Likes

Re: Senate Okays Independent Candidature For Elections by Omoluabi16(m): 6:12pm On Jul 26, 2017
I will contest for 2023 presidential election then. whatever change we want, needs to start from the top.
Re: Senate Okays Independent Candidature For Elections by StateNews: 6:14pm On Jul 26, 2017
abiodunalasa:
So if 2million people run for President, INEC gonna put their names on the ballot paper ??

Guys this voting ongoing in the Senate... Is it by Absolute Majority or Simple Majority ?
only wise comment I have seen in this tread

1 Like

Re: Senate Okays Independent Candidature For Elections by Zeroid105: 6:15pm On Jul 26, 2017
Good one.
Re: Senate Okays Independent Candidature For Elections by NtoAkwaIbom(m): 6:16pm On Jul 26, 2017
kullllll
Re: Senate Okays Independent Candidature For Elections by Atiku2019: 6:22pm On Jul 26, 2017
cool

Re: Senate Okays Independent Candidature For Elections by surgical: 6:26pm On Jul 26, 2017
Yorubaangel:
Senate under Saraki is really performing beyond expectations
It reminded me of ngige the kind of opposition he got then made him perform to the admiration of his people , I think the same is happening to saraki, the people might be the beneficiary at the end of the day from the pressure on saraki by his traducers.
Re: Senate Okays Independent Candidature For Elections by austinvsb1(m): 6:29pm On Jul 26, 2017
abiodunalasa:
So if 2million people run for President, INEC gonna put their names on the ballot paper ??

Guys this voting ongoing in the Senate... Is it by Absolute Majority or Simple Majority ?

Exactly the first thought that came to my head
Re: Senate Okays Independent Candidature For Elections by Blaiseikenna50: 6:30pm On Jul 26, 2017
Stella oduah the most vibrant Senator sponsored this bill kudos to her
Re: Senate Okays Independent Candidature For Elections by austinvsb1(m): 6:31pm On Jul 26, 2017
fyneguy:
The implication is bad.

A party can sponsor independent candidates in certain regions/states to reduce chances of rival party candidates.

For instance if my party is not popular in the SS and SE, I can sponsor 2 or 3 Presidential Candidates in each region to split votes while I get block votes from my region.

You sabi reason joor.

1 Like

Re: Senate Okays Independent Candidature For Elections by RESPECTnoble: 6:35pm On Jul 26, 2017
Addme:
If 48 voted against and 46 voted in support,how did that result into law. Ayam not understanding.........

Some1 should plz answer this question.

1 Like

Re: Senate Okays Independent Candidature For Elections by poseidon12: 6:36pm On Jul 26, 2017
Addme:
If 48 voted against and 46 voted in support,how did that result into law. Ayam not understanding.........

I think the 48/46 vote is for the bill for devolution of more powers to the States. It was defeated unfortunately.
Re: Senate Okays Independent Candidature For Elections by lonelydora: 6:48pm On Jul 26, 2017
Very good. A step in the right direction. Senate have started having sense.
Re: Senate Okays Independent Candidature For Elections by yelinco1(m): 7:18pm On Jul 26, 2017
abiodunalasa:

ME, AYAM NOT GETTING THEM TOO O
Re: Senate Okays Independent Candidature For Elections by dipznano: 7:24pm On Jul 26, 2017
younglleo:
dude below me might give a Bleep.. Ask him for one

And he did! grin
Re: Senate Okays Independent Candidature For Elections by Nobody: 7:33pm On Jul 26, 2017
Baba me sef jst dey look o, I no jst understand how
Addme:

1 Like

Re: Senate Okays Independent Candidature For Elections by Nobody: 7:42pm On Jul 26, 2017
Baba u think say to purchase the form, na here? Many things u put into consideration o
abiodunalasa:

Re: Senate Okays Independent Candidature For Elections by AceRoot(m): 7:46pm On Jul 26, 2017
fyneguy:
The implication is bad.

I LIKE THE WAY YOU THINK. You ought to belong to some meaningful THINK-TANK.
Re: Senate Okays Independent Candidature For Elections by Nossa(m): 7:51pm On Jul 26, 2017
ejosh4:
Hurray!!!!

People with good intentions who vie 4 a position under a party are later influenced negatively by the policies of such a party

It is now time 2 vote based on predigree and achievement of an individual than a political party tussle eg APC VS PDP

Predegree ko! Msc. ni!
Re: Senate Okays Independent Candidature For Elections by Nobody: 8:23pm On Jul 26, 2017
Addme:
For a bill to be passed into law, at least two-third of the national asssembly ought to vote in support of the bill... I am not very sure of this....
Re: Senate Okays Independent Candidature For Elections by omohayek: 8:29pm On Jul 26, 2017
fyneguy:
The implication is bad.

I don't see why people are heaping praise on your argument, as I don't think it shows any insight whatsoever. Aren't the electorate supposed to do their homework before voting? Where is their responsibility to make an informed choice in your analysis? If people actually bother to read the news and look at the manifestos and track records of candidates before making their choice, how can having more candidates to choose from be a bad thing?

One more thing worth adding: by your own reasoning, if a party sponsors multiple candidates in another region (without INEC learning about it), then what's stopping a party with a strong support base in that region from retaliating in the first party's own home base? Your argument only makes sense here if you think ethnic parties with support in only one region have any business running for the presidency of an entire country.

TLDR: More choice is better, and allowing candidates to run without needing the support of PDP or APC godfathers is better still.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Okays Independent Candidature For Elections by Nobody: 8:50pm On Jul 26, 2017
But I thought two thirds majority was needed for this kind of thing. Keeping our fingers crossed to see what social media will say tomorrow.

Tomorrow you might see 'We did not approve independent candidacy'- Senate.
Re: Senate Okays Independent Candidature For Elections by rayobaba(m): 8:57pm On Jul 26, 2017
Nice one
Re: Senate Okays Independent Candidature For Elections by fyneguy: 9:25pm On Jul 26, 2017
omohayek:

I don't see why people are heaping praise on your argument, as I don't think it shows any insight whatsoever. Aren't the electorate supposed to do their homework before voting? Where is their responsibility to make an informed choice in your analysis? If people actually bother to read the news and look at the manifestos and track records of candidates before making their choice, how can having more candidates to choose from be a bad thing?

One more thing worth adding: by your own reasoning, if a party sponsors multiple candidates in another region (without INEC learning about it), then what's stopping a party with a strong support base in that region from retaliating in the first party's own home base? Your argument only makes sense here if you think ethnic parties with support in only one region have any business running for the presidency of an entire country.

TLDR: More choice is better, and allowing candidates to run without needing the support of PDP or APC godfathers is better still.

Calm down and read the next paragraph, with a thinking cap.

The party system ensures a broader and wider (Nationwide) acceptability before a candidate emerges as the PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE. While I agree the parties are not doing enough in their choices, with respect to the quality of candidates, this new system will be abused and moneybags will easily get into offices using the parties.

In the case of Independent Candidacy, Party XYZ that has acceptability issues in certain regions or states will only sponsor some of their members with perceived good reputations in those states/regions, so as to split votes. I give you an example:

My Party, NDN, enjoys a large following in the North but is hated in the SS and SE. All my Party needs to do is to look for Party members from those regions/states with relative good reputations to vie for Presidency as IC's . Hence, I can get Pat Utomi (Delta), Donald Duke (Cross River), Akpabio ((Akwa Ibom), Oshiomole (Edo), Timi Alaibe (Bayelsa), then one Rivers guy for SS; Orji Uzor Kalu, Onu, and other notable Igbos to contest. These states will vote for their sons and daughters, as the case may be, While I secure my bloc votes in the North.
Re: Senate Okays Independent Candidature For Elections by emorse(m): 9:28pm On Jul 26, 2017
Addme:
I been think say my eyes no see well o.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Navy Requests $300 Million To Buy A Submarine. / Yul Edochie Reacts To Tribunal's Verdict On Buhari Vs Atiku, Slams The Judiciary / Buhari Condemns Boko Haram Killings, Urges Military To Sustain Attacks On Terror

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.