Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,012 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:10 AM

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 - Travel (93) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 (828396 Views)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) ... (501) (Go Down)

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Yomalicious(f): 5:00am On Aug 15, 2017
Alantobie:
Hi. My passport has been dispatched since 3rd of August. Do you think it must have arrived because I'm planning on traveling to Lagos to collect it on the 15th or 16th...pls your reply would be helpful

Did you get an email that your passport has been dispatched?

For decision since Aug 3rd and I having gotten any dispatch mail or mail from VFS
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by AdexStudio(m): 5:09am On Aug 15, 2017
This is the Canada visa application , you have a msg from the embassy pls come to pick up as soon as possible.

please my wife got that message yesterday, has anyone ever received this kind of message from VFS? She did paper application. no email, just the sms above
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by jnyuwa02: 5:12am On Aug 15, 2017
thesoj:

Hahahahaha @ 'mission to relocate his entire family to Canada". grin

Yeah my bro told me that yesterday an employee of Egypt Air at the airline counter asked him that he must show that he has $1000 cash on him because he has a one-way ticket. The Nigerian employee of the airline said that Egypt Air doesn't want to foot the bill in case he is sent back at the Port of Entry; the employee said that this is because the airline has had to foot a lot of such bills for student visa holders lately lately (don't know if they are lying or not).

Regardless, it sounds extremely illegal for an airline to behave this way. They didn't allow my bro to check-in until he asked them if he could instead sign a letter of undertaking saying he'd foot the bill should he be sent back home at the POE. This is completely ridiculous. It even sounds like an attempted extortion where if you show the cash the employee takes a portion of it to enrich his pocket.

Anyone who experiences this should not let them deny you check-in. If it's possible, take a video on the incident, make a post of this illegal activity on Twitter or Instagram and mention the International Aviation body on Twitter (@IATA), Guardian Nigeria (@guardiannigeria), and Transport Canada (@Transport_gc), etc. Mention that your flight was booked from Lagos to Toronto or wherever.

Better yet, assert yourself and don't let the airline bully you.

@dapoddon: how did you convince them to let you check in? Did you have to find the $1000 cash?

You will be surprised to know how many people are turned back at port of entry every year, even with a valid visa. For all kinds of reason, people successfully get a TRV, only to come mess up at the POE. In that case of inadmissibility, the airline that brought the person by law has to return the person back at their own expenses. That is why airlines go as far as to make sure you carry enough money to pay them should they have to return you. It's not extortion O, Biko!
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by AdexStudio(m): 5:27am On Aug 15, 2017
Urgent response please
AdexStudio:
This is the Canada visa application , you have a msg from the embassy pls come to pick up as soon as possible.

please my wife got that message yesterday, has anyone ever received this kind of message from VFS? She did paper application. no email, just the sms above
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by gbsunmonu: 6:31am On Aug 15, 2017
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Nobody: 6:35am On Aug 15, 2017
Good morning great people.
Please I'd like to know the validity of police report.
Thank you.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by gbsunmonu: 6:36am On Aug 15, 2017
Atouba:
Good morning great people.
Please I'd like to know the validity of police report.
Thank you.

3 months
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Nobody: 7:11am On Aug 15, 2017
AdexStudio:
Urgent response please

Did she do upfront medical?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Nobody: 7:15am On Aug 15, 2017
You paid for SMS notification remember?
At the point of submission, you'd be asked if you either want courier delivery or SMS notification. Your wife has probably opted for sms notification ..which means you are to do physical pick up. Heck! call the vfs to confirm. That would save you t-fare. Cheers

AdexStudio:

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by C3PO: 7:37am On Aug 15, 2017
Whom has recently received a passport.

C3PO:
Pls how long (days) does it take between submitting "requested passport" and collecting my "stamped passport".
Submitting my passport at VFS on Wednesday 16th August can I pick it before 26th August? Because I'm booking my flight for 28th August
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Nobody: 7:38am On Aug 15, 2017
Hi guys!

Anyone admitted to UOttawa? Already gained and accepted UWO but my UOttawa status just changed to 'Admitted'.
Please, how do I view and download my UOttawa admission letter?

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Jejelaye01: 8:15am On Aug 15, 2017
Margs:
Hi Everyone,

Glad I stumbled on this thread. So I have a question. I plan on applying to study in Canada and here's a brief profile. First degree in Physics (3rd class) and this is my primary concern. I have worked for about 13 years mainly in the finance industry. I have ICAN, PMP and some UK insurance certificates.

What are my best options? My plan was to do a Masters in finance or economics or even management. But i just read up that the 3rd class will be a problem. I started out a masters locally but didn't complete - just one course left. Was finishing off with a distinction though.

Sorry the info is kind all over the place. Please advise.

I was considering Saskatchewan and Manitoba for my postgrad.

Thanks.

Hello mate. Good to know about your interest in studying in canada however your primary concern shouldnt be a thing of concern judging by your profile above. Since you have certifications in management and ICAN and good work experience in the finance sector I will advise you to choose a career in management in any school in your choice and when it's time for visa application please make sure you relate your certified courses with your admission very well.

Please accept as always my warm regards.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Jejelaye01: 8:18am On Aug 15, 2017
jnyuwa02:

You will be surprised to know how many people are turned back at port of entry every year, even with a valid visa. For all kinds of reason, people successfully get a TRV, only to come mess up at the POE. In that case of inadmissibility, the airline that brought the person by law has to return the person back at their own expenses. That is why airlines go as far as to make sure you carry enough money to pay them should they have to return you. It's not extortion O, Biko!

Na wa oooo...... this turn back for port of entry na serious issues.....please for those that have information about rejection/eviction at POE should shed some light on possible reasons for rejection biko.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by AdexStudio(m): 8:37am On Aug 15, 2017
yes.
sthillz:

Did she do upfront medical?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by AdexStudio(m): 8:40am On Aug 15, 2017
thanks. the message doesn't sound official, that was my concern. VFS customer care line is not going through
oluswagger:
You paid for SMS notification remember?
At the point of submission, you'd be asked if you either want courier delivery or SMS notification. Your wife has probably opted for sms notification ..which means you are to do physical pick up. Heck! call the vfs to confirm. That would save you t-fare. Cheers

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Margs(f): 8:45am On Aug 15, 2017
Jejelaye01:

Hello mate. Good to know about your interest in studying in canada however your primary concern shouldnt be a thing of concern judging by your profile above. Since you have certifications in management and ICAN and good work experience in the finance sector I will advise you to choose a career in management in any school in your choice and when it's time for visa application please make sure you relate your certified courses with your admission very well.

Please accept as always my warm regards.

Thanks for the response. I was worried about the 3rd class but will proceed as advised.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by OmalichaUC: 8:48am On Aug 15, 2017
Frankrobbn1:

Thanks so much bro. After sending them a reminder message, I received my GCMS note in less than 5hours yesterday.Thanks for your candid advice it worked. I appreciate.
You are welcome dearest. Though I'm a lady grin.
So hope your GCMS NOTE answered your questions?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Margs(f): 8:48am On Aug 15, 2017
CPA01:

Hello. What's your cgpa for the last two years?. I will suggest you try some schools that offer pre MBA. But have you heard about express entry??. You can get to move and stay in Canada permanently without much stress.
I have to check but it was about 3.0. The express entry requires some form of Canadian experience or high uni scores not so? Also, I really want a masters now its not just about the residency...which I want eventually o
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by OmalichaUC: 8:51am On Aug 15, 2017
Frankrobbn1:

Thanks so much bro. After sending them a reminder message, I received my GCMS note in less than 5hours yesterday.Thanks for your candid advice it worked. I appreciate.

You are welcome dearest. Though I'm a lady grin.
So hope your GCMS NOTES answered your questions?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Osemigho: 8:52am On Aug 15, 2017
dapoddon:
Guys, touchdown Toronto ! Very clean and beautiful country from the little have seen.
For the guys who haven't paid fees or have funding and going via Egypt Air, pls hold like 1k dollars, although non of their business the guys at MMIA might ask for it.
POE, was super chilled,just be bold, confident and honest. Might also be good to keep track of ur luggage in transit points to avoid stories upon arrival at final destination.
Apparently baba @thesoj is on a mission to relocate his entire family to Canada, met another of his brothers on the plane.
TRV fall on all hopefuls and refused applications.

Thanks for the info. Soar in your new home.

As per our amiable elder, TheSoj, I respect him for your observation. Although I sometimes ask how and when I will be able to, I hope to achieve his feat someday.

You can't run away from family but you can help them to secure themselves, hoping they will be fully independent someday.

God bless you bro. You are a blessing to us (strangers) and even family members.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Cocosmite: 8:55am On Aug 15, 2017
Pls my friend when was it you submitted the passport.

I'll like to know how long it NOW takes for stamping and return back to Nigeria
Igbouwanile:
Hello Friends.. Please who has recently sent someone else to pick his/her passport/documents at VFS on their behalf. Is it still acceptable?.. do respond pls.

Cc: @voltie
@alantobie
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Osemigho: 8:57am On Aug 15, 2017
ukehnonny:
Please I have an issue. I want to do my Masters in Canada. But The name on my statement of result is Okonji Chukwunonso A but on my passport is written as Okonji Chinonso Albert. Please will this affect me in anyway and if so, I need possible solutions.

Note; I used those names as example.

What is the name on other documents?

In a CiC form, there is a place for other names. You can write your bank account name in that space. I had slightly similar issue with my name too and that was the only option I used.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Osemigho: 9:05am On Aug 15, 2017
Ayoola03:
Hello guys! Good morning from Toronto. So sorry for the late response. I have been trying to settle since I arrived.I used Egypt air and their service was impressive. There is nothin to worry about at the POE as no big deal at all infact it wasn't like how people Painted it, I was expecting a more drilling exercise but unfortunately I was proved wrong by the generosity shown by the officer smiley.the officers are all nice and friendly. I tendered my admission letters and the cic correspondence letter+passport and the questions goes thus :

What is the purpose of visit?
Is this your first time in Canada?
What is your undergraduate course?
The duration of the course?
Which school do you finished from and which city(when I told him lautech ogbomosho oyo state Nigeria, the pronunciation almost removed his tongue and he stated mocking me grin)
What graduate program are you going for
The duration of the course
What is the name of the school
What is the source of funding (self or government)
Jokes jokes jokes, the guy started making fun of me infact through out my chat with him, he only went true my funding letter he didn't bother to check my acceptance letter and the correspondence letter,he didn't give me the opportunity to answer the above questions he ended up answering those questions himself and never bother me at all, all I did was just to smile when he ask and immediately answer himself lol. Non of my luggage was checked everyone was able to collect their permit without stress and I wasn't even asked the amount of my PTA or if I came in with any . The experience was awesome and stress free shocked. Free wifi is available at Pearson international airport so you can easily connect to speak with your loved ones at home. The weather here is still the same sunny weather in naija just that it changes in the evening/night but not too bad tho. All you need is courage and smile. Lastly, anyone coming tru MM airport after your luggage has been weighed should immediately padlock your box and make sure you didn't put any valuable tins in the pockets or other external spaces in your box. Although I locked the main place in my box but other sides that can't be locked I kept some few things in it and discovered like two zips where partially opened when I went to claim my bags at the final destination in Toronto,few things was stolen in my bag but I thank God it is not something that useful. They also ended up damaging my box as well,they turned my box from 4legged to 3legged box,all thanks to those guyz at MM airport , please be careful and take caution.I wish everyone all the best and it will surely end in praise.

Thanks for the info.

However, not all laugh is good. Some can be mockery. It's good to maintain smile in both cases though.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Osemigho: 9:06am On Aug 15, 2017
gbsunmonu:
Please is it possible to go for medical at Qlife without booking appointment . Kindly assist

I doubt. Call them to find out.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Osemigho: 9:09am On Aug 15, 2017
likeababygirl:
Hi guys,
Sometimes i get confused with the way people take this 'not coming back home after your program' thing serious. In as much as I believe you should establish good hometies, i think it is not a major reason people get delayed their visas. We have seen people with just parents and no company documents or land or property documents get their visas.
If Canada didn't want us to stay back i.e come back home after schooling, they would have cancelled their PGWP and the opportunity of getting permanent residency and consequently Citizenship.
So I'm writing this cos i saw a post that said someone with a first class and distinction profile kinda intimidated the VOs and it's like why is he going abroad when he can easily get a job here in Nigeria. This cannot be true because Canada wants brilliant minds in their system too.
Heck! I know someone who has all his siblings and mother out of the country (this means no family and siblings as hometies sef), no company, just his family's land documents and still got a study permit. His case might be different but it's nothing out of the ordinary.
Anyways, i think we should work better on our purpose of visit and finances. If you need to tell the VOs anything, the SOP is your tool, use it wisely. I am a believer of submitting any document you think will work for you. Because somebody didn't submit survey doesn't mean you shouldn't submit yours. Do you!
For example, I didn't write any SOP, while filling my questionnaire, I didn't put anything about how the program will help me when i come back to Nigeria. Just basically wrote how the program will improve my knowledge on the course of study.
Little things count in your application too. For instance, in your CV, you are a graduate of Biology and your references are businessmen and maybe an accountant. It Doesn't show professionalism. Look for someone in your field to use.
Also, let's try to do some research ourselves and not wait to be spoonfed. Someone from this forum sent me a message and was like help me. I put in time to help this person gather some info only to realize this person actually wanted me to help write these things (SOP,CV etc). Things don't work like that, do your best first and others will help you.
PRAYER IS THE KEY! Never forget.
I pray for many more approvals in this house. For those traveling this week, we wish you a safe trip.
Cheers.

Don't like to say this but I will. most people who are very familiar with this thread and previous applicant profile will know what and how to package for visa with improved chances of success, Even if it will take extra prayers. Lets us endeavor to read previous threads. The formulae to successful Canada student visa had been written long time ago and is only being improved.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Osemigho: 9:12am On Aug 15, 2017
Ayoola03:
All work and no play makes study thread a dull one, pardon me sir @justwise but I can't just resist the beauty of this country. It's 8:27pm and everywhere is as bright as the sun shocked. I wish everyone best of God in their application,may your dreams be fulfilled,Canada is waiting for you all.......cheers!

PS:will be removed soon wink

Nice. Congrats on your successful landing.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by jnyuwa02: 9:23am On Aug 15, 2017
Jejelaye01:

Na wa oooo...... this turn back for port of entry na serious issues.....please for those that have information about rejection/eviction at POE should shed some light on possible reasons for rejection biko.

I have seen someone turned back because some people knew about his trip and reported him to the host nation's immigration authorities for been a police officer that beat them up when they were in their country. Under the UN convention that was considered been a persecutor. I know another guy sent back when a letter was discovered in his luggage addressed to someone asking them to help him find a job. Working is a contravention of his visitor visa. Yet another person I worked with was locked in a detention center and not allowed into the country because he didn't pass a series of questions at POE. The officer believed he was a potential immigrant and had only a one way ticket with no proof of having money. The stories are endless.

4 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by bronze25(f): 9:32am On Aug 15, 2017
Hello everyone, please I have a question to ask. My visa was delayed on 3rd august on grounds of insufficient funds, I posted my profile before the house same day. I want to reapply & in order to tackle is reason for refusal, I would be adding a cosponsor who is ready to show commitment in my next application.

My question: how do I establish/prove relationship between me & my cosponsor? She's my mum's maternal cousin.

Thanks in advance for your response
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by LaGrace: 9:50am On Aug 15, 2017
Unless you're in a hurry and you have an idea of what the insufficient funds is about, I will advise you to order for gcms notes. Insifficents funds can constitute a whole lot and not necessarily not having money. Your notes can tell u exactly what the officer is looking for.
To answer your question, I believe a detailed sponsorship letter showing the relationship with proof of birth certificates should do it. My opinion, I don't how it works in Nigeria, but in Ghana that should do. Wishing you all the best.

Hello everyone, please I have a question to ask. My visa was delayed on 3rd august on grounds of insufficient funds, I posted my profile before the house same day. I want to reapply & in order to tackle is reason for refusal, I would be adding a cosponsor who is ready to show commitment in my next application.

My question: how do I establish/prove relationship between me & my cosponsor? She's my mum's maternal cousin.

Thanks in advance for your response[/quote]
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by CPA01: 10:10am On Aug 15, 2017
Margs:

I have to check but it was about 3.0. The express entry requires some form of Canadian experience or high uni scores not so? Also, I really want a masters now its not just about the residency...which I want eventually o

Okay. Apply for MBA at UCW, university of new Brunswick. You will have a chance with your ICAN and work experience. As for the EE, your naija experience also count. You can get it with a good IELTS score. All the best.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by amii131(f): 10:22am On Aug 15, 2017
BEST ADVICE FOR A NEW CANADA IMMIGRANTS###COPIED

As soon has you have arrived go to the nearest government service office and register

For a health card - it becomes valid after three months. Each province has it own rules and you can look them up on the internet, here are the rules for Ontario. Read the section about “How to apply” before you go in.

Apply for OHIP and get a health card
A SIN (Social Insurance Card), you need it for “everything”, jobs, taxes, etc. Read this carefully:

Application for a Social Insurance Number
When you get housing of ANY kind, go and buy a home insurance. I repeat, you MUST get a home insurance, even as a tenant. Here is one agency that specializes in home insurance and covers tens of thousands of rental units in Ontario, but there are many. Do get references, there are som fly-by-night operators that will only take your money and give you an impressive document, but no insurance.

Atrens-Counsel Insurance Brokers

Get a learner’s permit for a Driver’s Licence. Your home land license is invalid if you are in Canada as a “new Canadian”. In some provinces you can still use it for three months, but NEVER for any longer period of time
Go to the nearest Royal Bank branch and open a chequing account. It is free and ONLY requires that you show your SIN card. Here are the details. they will welcome you with open arms.

Newcomer to Canada? Find Banking, Credit, Borrowing and Investing Solutions at RBC®
since you are a recent immigrant, you will also get a bank credit card
You ABSOLUTELY do NOT need any wired home phone. Millions of Canadians do just fine with one, or more, mobile phones. I hope you brought your smart phone from home. Get a mobile phone account. All companies are “good” but Freedom Mobile is by far the least costly. They are only in some cities, not all.

Cell Phones & Smartphones

Ask to use your old phone from “home”. There may be an unlocking chargeof about $ 50. That is still far better than having to buy a new phone that cost upwards of $ 900. Again, don’t forget your SIN card.
Get a High Speed internet connection contract to your home. They typically cost from $ 30 - $ 90 per month. Do NOT sign up for any “combined” package
You don’t have to get any expensive Cable TV hook-up. Just buy a general box, available in many electronics stores for $ 50 - $ 100 and you can watch all the TV stations of the world, for free.
Do not accept any offers to “new Canadians” without checking up what it is. The truth, there are far too many crooks “out there” who will find you and offer all sorts of wonderful deals. Be careful where you spend your money.
If you need a car, do go to your favorite brand and look at their used cars. Every new car dealer keep the best trade ins for themselves. They want you to buy their best used car so you come back, happy with the car, to buy another one soon.

DO NOT buy a car on an advertisment or from any “Used car dealer”. You will be cheated.

17 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Nobody: 10:28am On Aug 15, 2017
aliACCA:

sorry about ur delay.. im preparing for the worst outcome myself. Just waiting for CIC to decide then i move on either Canada or home. cheesy cheesy

My app will be 20 weeks this week and already fed up with this people. undecided undecided Goodluck to all those waiting.

Nawa to you.oooo

(1) (2) (3) ... (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) ... (501)

Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 5 / UK Skilled Worker Visa / Health And Care Worker Visa / Qualified Teacher Route

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.