Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,947 members, 7,817,785 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:34 PM

7 Ways To Deal With A Teen Who Talks Back - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 7 Ways To Deal With A Teen Who Talks Back (24145 Views)

Don’t Kill Your Husband. This Is How To Deal With Him If He Is Cheating On You / Lady Recounts How Her Mother-in-law Vowed To Deal With Her, Mourns Her Husband / Mother Had Sex With Her Teen Daughter’s Husband (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Ways To Deal With A Teen Who Talks Back by VirtueDigest: 1:59pm On Jul 28, 2017
One cool evening, I watched as my neighbour refused to grant permission for his adolescent son to attend a party with his friends. With an equally stern face the son responded “hell no, I must be at the party!” My neighbour’s son is developing a “smart mouth” and an attitude to go with it. He is very disrespectful, especially in public and in the presence of guests. I flashed back to my days as a teenager; I could not talk back at my parents for any reason and most especially in public and in the presence of visitors. Eons ago in Nigeria, we lived a communal life where the neighbour could correct a defiant teenager in the absence of his/her parents. In Nigeria today, family structures are not as strong as they used to be. There are too many distractions and a general breakdown of discipline coupled with the fact that parents are generally busy with career pursuit.
Teenagers are confronted daily with choices. They struggle to make good decisions and are held accountable for it. Adolescence is that time in which they go through a major transformation in their lives; emotional, mental and biological changes are taking place. This is one of the major reasons for their unpredictable behaviour. As a parent/guardian, how do you get your teen to stop the snide and rude back talk? Here are seven smart suggestions:

1. TELL IT TO JESUS: It could be challenging to have a rebellious teenager, but remember the hymn “I must tell Jesus all of my trials.” Indeed, Jesus is readily available when you lay your issues bare before Him. Ask the Holy Spirit to give you His love for your child and to help you to nurture him/her in the way of the Lord. Ask God to help you see one or two good aspects in your child that you can praise. Always find an encouraging saying, quote or Scripture verse to leave your child with as he/she walks out the door to school every day.

2. RESPECT YOUR TEEN: Respect is reciprocal. If you expect your child to respect you, show some respect too. This way you will be able to play the part of a role model. Be involved, but don’t interfere too much. At the same time, don’t indulge them; don’t give in to unreasonable demands. Give your child the same respect that you would like and try to refrain from name-calling or labeling with such words as, “spoiled brat.” Instead, keep the focus on the behaviour that you would like to change.

3. DO NOT SHOUT/CURSE YOUR TEEN: The more you shout or curse your teen, the more he/she will shout or curse back. When you get angry and shout or curse your teen, you undermine your authority. Remember, you are your child’s greatest influence in terms of nurturing the right kind of behaviour in him/her. When you shout at your teen, they may feel like they are under attack and may not be open to make adjustments. If your teen ignores you, you can also try to ignore them back. Do not negotiate with your child, back down, or let her draw you into an argument about the discipline that you are enforcing. Discipline is the goal and shouldn’t be up for discussion or argument. If your child feels like s/he can argue or negotiate a discipline, s/he’ll be more likely to continue an undesired behaviour and would likely argue even more the next time around.

4. COMMUNICATE: If your teen is out of control, one of the best things to do with them is to sit him/her down and have a talk. There are always different aspects to a story and you might discover that probably you are the one at fault. Do not assume that your teen is stupid and immature. Discuss the rules with your child. Explain why you are setting rules and be prepared to give answers for your ideas because most children will question you. One common catchphrase from teens is, “You don’t understand!” Do not further frustrate your child by saying, “Yes, I do!”, or “I went through exactly what you are going through now.” We all like to think of experiences as unique. Instead of asserting a “been there, done that” stance, help your child practice communicating without being rude by responding, “I may not understand, but I do want to try to understand what you are feeling. Can we talk about it later when we’re both calmer?”

5. NEVER RESORT TO VIOLENCE. This will aggravate the problem, making your teenager more unruly. Never confront them with hostility and anger which may lead to violence in an extreme case. Be confident, firm, and consistent.

6. BE FLEXIBLE: Flexibility might turn out to be a huge advantage. Be willing to have conversations (rather than fights) about adjusting the rules and consequences every few months as your teenager gets older and can take on more responsibility. You may have to participate in some odd-seeming activities—and maybe at odd hours – to be part of his or her world. Really try to relax and bring humour to the daily interactions and challenges of having a teenager. It will make a difference!

7. COMPLIMENT YOUR TEEN: Also try to notice and point out the positives in your teen. S/he really needs your affirmation and encouragement. Remember to praise the child for what they do right before focusing on the wrong.

On a final note, children are like sponges. Whatever you throw in their direction they will surely pick up.

http://virtuedigest.com/7-ways-deal-teen-talks-back/

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 7 Ways To Deal With A Teen Who Talks Back by joe4real12: 2:16pm On Jul 28, 2017
For Naija the most effective way
grin grin

109 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 7 Ways To Deal With A Teen Who Talks Back by lilmax(m): 2:27pm On Jul 28, 2017
crap upon crap.... take this crap to where its needed

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Ways To Deal With A Teen Who Talks Back by ibkkk(f): 3:44pm On Jul 28, 2017
All these wouldn't werk here in Nigeria. Na igbaju sure pass.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Ways To Deal With A Teen Who Talks Back by cooljude(m): 8:01pm On Jul 28, 2017
Una go just dey copy and paste without considering our local factor. This advise wasn't made for Nigeria. As I old reach dem never born me well talk back to my Father or Mother.

54 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Ways To Deal With A Teen Who Talks Back by PhantomPlague: 8:10pm On Jul 28, 2017
joe4real12:
For Naija the most effective way
grin grin
Well spoken Lwkmd

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Ways To Deal With A Teen Who Talks Back by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jul 28, 2017
Where the op made me laugh was where he said "Respect your teen: respect is reciprocal". Are you really telling Nigerian parents to respect their teens?. grin

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Ways To Deal With A Teen Who Talks Back by AlfaAce(m): 9:11pm On Jul 28, 2017
abi dem don respect ni? lmao!

4 Likes

Re: 7 Ways To Deal With A Teen Who Talks Back by TonyeBarcanista(m): 6:46am On Jul 29, 2017
"Spare the rod and spoil the child"

13 Likes

Re: 7 Ways To Deal With A Teen Who Talks Back by Dexema(m): 8:10am On Jul 29, 2017
ibkkk:
All these wouldn't werk here in Nigeria. Na igbaju sure pass.

Marry me pls...lol.
Respect ko, reciprocal ni

5 Likes

Re: 7 Ways To Deal With A Teen Who Talks Back by ibkkk(f): 8:30am On Jul 29, 2017
Dexema:

Marry me pls...lol.
Respect ko, reciprocal ni
Why is your proposal coming late?would have considered marrying you if you had told me since last night o.I just got married!Lol

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Ways To Deal With A Teen Who Talks Back by Dexema(m): 9:34am On Jul 29, 2017
ibkkk:

Why is your proposal coming late?would have considered marrying you if you had told me since last night o.I just got married!Lol

To Mr. Nobody right?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Ways To Deal With A Teen Who Talks Back by ibkkk(f): 10:03am On Jul 29, 2017
Dexema:

To Mr. Nobody right?
To Mr.X.

5 Likes

Re: 7 Ways To Deal With A Teen Who Talks Back by sisisioge: 10:09am On Jul 29, 2017
Wetin you dey write? I'm still in naija biko...I could still slap the taste outta my smart mouthed teenagers. I remember the day I finished my 6:2f seventeen years old male cousin. I beat him up like we were in a ring. The rule is you must not raise your hands back. Afterwards, he adjusted himself and we didn't have a repeat. The guy forgot that I used to jump fences and play football...he didn't see the strength of my attack coming.

A slap first, then tons of heavy blows while he was recovering...yi o ba iya lai! Who be your mate cool

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 7 Ways To Deal With A Teen Who Talks Back by Ishilove: 10:42am On Jul 29, 2017
Rubbish. Arrant fuckery.

I remember when I used to work in a school where discipline was almost zero because the school management didn't want to drive away the parents. A parent came to me to complain that her teenage daughter was getting out of control. One day when she was reprimanding her, the girl talked back rudely. In a jiffy, Mama gave her beta slap, then finished up by scraping her mouth on the wall to remind her of her place. After that day, the girl adjusted herself.

I'm inspired angry

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 7 Ways To Deal With A Teen Who Talks Back by jashar(f): 12:35pm On Jul 29, 2017
Ishilove:
Rubbish. Arrant fuckery.

I remember when I used to work in a school where discipline was almost zero because the school management didn't want to drive away the parents. A parent came to me to complain that her teenage daughter was getting out of control. One day when she was reprimanding her, the girl talked back rudely. In a jiffy, Mama gave her beta slap, then finished up by scraping her mouth on the wall to remind her of her place. After that day, the girl adjusted herself.

I'm inspired angry

The Mama just wake up. grin. \why would a parent be looking to a school to train their child(ren)?

sisisioge:
Wetin you dey write? I'm still in naija biko...I could still slap the taste outta my smart mouthed teenagers. I remember the day I finished my 6:2f seventeen years old male cousin. I beat him up like we were in a ring. The rule is you must not raise your hands back. Afterwards, he adjusted himself and we didn't have a repeat. The guy forgot that I used to jump fences and play football...he didn't see the strength of my attack coming.

A slap first, then tons of heavy blows while he was recovering...yi o ba iya lai! Who be your mate cool

Thug
grin grin grin grin

7 Likes

Re: 7 Ways To Deal With A Teen Who Talks Back by taylor88(m): 12:39pm On Jul 29, 2017
lol

1 Like

Re: 7 Ways To Deal With A Teen Who Talks Back by Nobody: 12:40pm On Jul 29, 2017
What happened to the good old hangers, belts, shoes, sticks, canes, wires(both thin and fat), slippers, ladle(for turning garri), bucket, mopstick, hand, fists, fan, walking stick, broom etc that has been resetting us back to default since time immemorial?
The problem is, Nigerian parents of today are pûssies. They're all forming the bullshit new generation parenting skills that believes beating a child is abuse and dialogue is the best way to correct an erring child. That's why there are so many wayward and incorrigible children around.
God knows I'm going to beat the the stupidity out of my children if they ever go astray. If I wasn't beaten as a child/teenager, only God knows what I'd have turned into.

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 7 Ways To Deal With A Teen Who Talks Back by MadCow1: 12:40pm On Jul 29, 2017
Only way is necessary. . slap that biitch

2 Likes

Re: 7 Ways To Deal With A Teen Who Talks Back by djemillionia: 12:40pm On Jul 29, 2017
ok

1 Like

Re: 7 Ways To Deal With A Teen Who Talks Back by MadCow1: 12:41pm On Jul 29, 2017
Benita27:
Where the op made me laugh was where he said "Respect your teen: respect is reciprocal". Are you really telling Nigerian parents to respect their teens?. grin

I thunk they should. . But we all know that's story for the gods

3 Likes

Re: 7 Ways To Deal With A Teen Who Talks Back by Nobody: 12:41pm On Jul 29, 2017
Parents don't respect their teen.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Ways To Deal With A Teen Who Talks Back by malificent(f): 12:41pm On Jul 29, 2017
See long note. Because them never slap the demons of stupidity and disrespect comot em body

5 Likes

Re: 7 Ways To Deal With A Teen Who Talks Back by Mouthgag: 12:42pm On Jul 29, 2017
Slaps does it better for me...

2 Likes

Re: 7 Ways To Deal With A Teen Who Talks Back by Nobody: 12:42pm On Jul 29, 2017
cry

1 Like

Re: 7 Ways To Deal With A Teen Who Talks Back by Mouthgag: 12:43pm On Jul 29, 2017
VirtueDigest:
One cool evening, I watched as my neighbour refused to grant permission for his adolescent son to attend a party with his friends. With an equally stern face the son responded “hell no, I must be at the party!” My neighbour’s son is developing a “smart mouth” and an attitude to go with it. He is very disrespectful, especially in public and in the presence of guests. I flashed back to my days as a teenager; I could not talk back at my parents for any reason and most especially in public and in the presence of visitors. Eons ago in Nigeria, we lived a communal life where the neighbour could correct a defiant teenager in the absence of his/her parents. In Nigeria today, family structures are not as strong as they used to be. There are too many distractions and a general breakdown of discipline coupled with the fact that parents are generally busy with career pursuit.
Teenagers are confronted daily with choices. They struggle to make good decisions and are held accountable for it. Adolescence is that time in which they go through a major transformation in their lives; emotional, mental and biological changes are taking place. This is one of the major reasons for their unpredictable behaviour. As a parent/guardian, how do you get your teen to stop the snide and rude back talk? Here are seven smart suggestions:

1. TELL IT TO JESUS: It could be challenging to have a rebellious teenager, but remember the hymn “I must tell Jesus all of my trials.” Indeed, Jesus is readily available when you lay your issues bare before Him. Ask the Holy Spirit to give you His love for your child and to help you to nurture him/her in the way of the Lord. Ask God to help you see one or two good aspects in your child that you can praise. Always find an encouraging saying, quote or Scripture verse to leave your child with as he/she walks out the door to school every day.

2. RESPECT YOUR TEEN: Respect is reciprocal. If you expect your child to respect you, show some respect too. This way you will be able to play the part of a role model. Be involved, but don’t interfere too much. At the same time, don’t indulge them; don’t give in to unreasonable demands. Give your child the same respect that you would like and try to refrain from name-calling or labeling with such words as, “spoiled brat.” Instead, keep the focus on the behaviour that you would like to change.

3. DO NOT SHOUT/CURSE YOUR TEEN: The more you shout or curse your teen, the more he/she will shout or curse back. When you get angry and shout or curse your teen, you undermine your authority. Remember, you are your child’s greatest influence in terms of nurturing the right kind of behaviour in him/her. When you shout at your teen, they may feel like they are under attack and may not be open to make adjustments. If your teen ignores you, you can also try to ignore them back. Do not negotiate with your child, back down, or let her draw you into an argument about the discipline that you are enforcing. Discipline is the goal and shouldn’t be up for discussion or argument. If your child feels like s/he can argue or negotiate a discipline, s/he’ll be more likely to continue an undesired behaviour and would likely argue even more the next time around.

4. COMMUNICATE: If your teen is out of control, one of the best things to do with them is to sit him/her down and have a talk. There are always different aspects to a story and you might discover that probably you are the one at fault. Do not assume that your teen is stupid and immature. Discuss the rules with your child. Explain why you are setting rules and be prepared to give answers for your ideas because most children will question you. One common catchphrase from teens is, “You don’t understand!” Do not further frustrate your child by saying, “Yes, I do!”, or “I went through exactly what you are going through now.” We all like to think of experiences as unique. Instead of asserting a “been there, done that” stance, help your child practice communicating without being rude by responding, “I may not understand, but I do want to try to understand what you are feeling. Can we talk about it later when we’re both calmer?”

5. NEVER RESORT TO VIOLENCE. This will aggravate the problem, making your teenager more unruly. Never confront them with hostility and anger which may lead to violence in an extreme case. Be confident, firm, and consistent.

6. BE FLEXIBLE: Flexibility might turn out to be a huge advantage. Be willing to have conversations (rather than fights) about adjusting the rules and consequences every few months as your teenager gets older and can take on more responsibility. You may have to participate in some odd-seeming activities—and maybe at odd hours – to be part of his or her world. Really try to relax and bring humour to the daily interactions and challenges of having a teenager. It will make a difference!

7. COMPLIMENT YOUR TEEN: Also try to notice and point out the positives in your teen. S/he really needs your affirmation and encouragement. Remember to praise the child for what they do right before focusing on the wrong.

On a final note, children are like sponges. Whatever you throw in their direction they will surely pick up.

http://virtuedigest.com/7-ways-deal-teen-talks-back/
No 1 is INVALID.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Ways To Deal With A Teen Who Talks Back by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jul 29, 2017
What a load of bullshit_, I'm not my teens friend...The best way to maintain control is to seize their cash inflow...If your teen is acting up, gather all the electronics, toss them a book and suspend their weekly allowance, that's the most effective tactic ever .

8 Likes

Re: 7 Ways To Deal With A Teen Who Talks Back by publicenemy(m): 12:44pm On Jul 29, 2017
The 7 ways to deal with that situation that I am sure will only work is..

1. Beat him
2. Beat him very well
3. Beat the hell out of him
4. Beat him and rub grinded pepper on his d1ck or her pusi.
5. Tie him/her up and do the first 4.
6. After doing the first 5 sit him down and advice him.
7. While advising him if he grumbles start from number 1 all over.

Believe me by the time you do this... His brain will go back to factory settings.

I am 33yrs old and I dare not talk back to my father or my boss or anyone in authority who is older than me...

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 7 Ways To Deal With A Teen Who Talks Back by kbams241: 12:45pm On Jul 29, 2017
H

1 Like

Re: 7 Ways To Deal With A Teen Who Talks Back by muller101(m): 12:45pm On Jul 29, 2017
Use any thing u see and beat am well we'll.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Ways To Deal With A Teen Who Talks Back by frubben(m): 12:45pm On Jul 29, 2017
Stupid crap post. Talk to jesus ko ttalk to Mary ni.

I will beat dat demonic spirit out of him or her

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What's The Happiest Day of A Guy's Life? / Little Boy Dies In Kaduna House Fire (Photos) / After 17 Years Of Childlessness, Couple Loses Newborn Twin Babies In Auto Crash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.