Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,296 members, 7,839,459 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:43 PM

Can Nigeria Support 400 Million People In Future? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can Nigeria Support 400 Million People In Future? (394 Views)

Dino Melaye And Hushpuppi: APC Nigeria Support Mocks Senator / Olisa Metuh Guilty Of All Charges In ₦400 Million Fraud Case - Court / Peter Obi Reply To Efcc 400 Million Allegation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Nigeria Support 400 Million People In Future? by AjalaJ(m): 3:54am On Jul 29, 2017
Does Nigeria have a plan in place to support 400 million people by 2050?

We don’t. Its frankly one of the things that irritates me about the form of ‘democracy’ we run now. The senators talk about our potential population growth all the time, they’re actually proud of it. They don’t make plans to keep it sustainable though.

The reason can be traced to 1986. That was our paradigm shift, away from our Latin American inspired import substitution/central planning days to what my Economic history professor calls the “neo-liberal imposition of the Washington consensus”. Now personally I tend to find ideological labels hilarious, but he does have a point. The closest thing to a plan we have the Sustainable Development Goals aside is the Vision 2020. Which isn’t a plan, but a vision which has been partly fulfilled.

We are likely to be a top-twenty economy by 2020 (already are by some metrics). Now personally, I can see and admire the intellectual argument for trade, I have read about its historical benefits, but as somebody who tries to coral my ideological tendencies, I do not understand why laissez faire precludes planning.

We are a top twenty economy yet 80% of our growing population lives below $1 per day: Laissez Faire.

We are a top twenty economy, yet struggle to maintain 5,000MW power generation: Laissez Faire.

We are a top twenty economy, yet face a demographic time-bomb in our agricultural lands as more young people emigrate to the city or out of the country: Laissez Faire.

We are a top twenty economy but cannot guarantee security throughout the nation: Laissez Faire.

By 2050, we will have a population nearing 400 million: Laissez Faire. Laissez Faaire we’re too focused on ‘growth’, to hell with development and the planning that it entails.

However compounding matters is that the civil service is largely filled with incompetents and political cronies, I (and possibly most of my fellow citizens) wouldn’t trust them to carry out a plan with anything approaching competence. How do they say it: “between the devil and the red sea”, that pretty much sums up Nigeria.

Source: https://www.quora.com/Does-Nigeria-have-a-plan-in-place-to-support-400-million-people-by-2050

Perfect Money/Payeer/Epay/Neteller: www..com.ng

Hyundai Sonata for Nigeria from InstaForex: https://www.instaforex.com/sonata
Re: Can Nigeria Support 400 Million People In Future? by slimfit1(m): 4:19am On Jul 29, 2017
Even countries with less population are struggling.
Re: Can Nigeria Support 400 Million People In Future? by juman(m): 4:32am On Jul 29, 2017
There will be no nigeria by that time..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Nigeria Support 400 Million People In Future? by Nobody: 4:48am On Jul 29, 2017
Exactly what nnia was saying why the other one was calling for war and arrest..if Nigeria can't sustain 170m now what about 400m in 50yrs
Re: Can Nigeria Support 400 Million People In Future? by Histrings08(m): 4:51am On Jul 29, 2017
That's why each zone should go their separate way
Re: Can Nigeria Support 400 Million People In Future? by smogup: 6:44am On Jul 29, 2017
With a president like bubu it can only get worst with that kind of population.

APC lack planning, they are as corrupt like PDP.
Re: Can Nigeria Support 400 Million People In Future? by nabiz(m): 6:50am On Jul 29, 2017
The question would have been, do Nigeria care about her future generation?
Re: Can Nigeria Support 400 Million People In Future? by BizLifeE: 11:11am On Jul 29, 2017
Nope. No plan for future generation. But the reality is, too many people give birth to too many children they can't afford to train properly. Yet, they look unto the government for their upkeep.

(1) (Reply)

Photo Of The Day: Give Your Best Caption #landers / Lagos Bus Conductors Required To Wear Uniforms And Name Tags Starting From Today / Biafra The Way Forward

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.