Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,544 members, 7,812,712 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:52 PM

Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki (15162 Views)

Senate Inaugurates Constitution Review Committee / Electoral (amendment) Bill 2018 Not Declined Presidential Assent / Presidential Assent Possible In Three Days If…, Says Ita Enang (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by lightblazingnow(m): 6:50am On Aug 04, 2017
Constitution review: Why Presidential assent unnecessary - Saraki
nan.ng Aug

Saraki responds to questions from left: Editor-in-Chief, News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), Mallam Yusuf Zango; and a Deputy Editor-in-Chief/Head of Political Desk in NAN, Mr Olisa Ifeajika,
Saraki responds to questions from left: Editor-in-Chief, News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), Mallam Yusuf Zango; and a Deputy Editor-in-Chief/Head of Political Desk in NAN, Mr Olisa Ifeajika,
By Ifeanyi Nwoko

The President of the Senate, Dr Bukola Saraki, has said that presidential assent was an unnecessary addition to the process of amendment of the Constitution.

He told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja that it was with conviction on that that the 8th National Assembly approved the removal of presidential assent to an amended constitution.

The 7th Assembly had in 2015, while reviewing the 1999 Constitution, approved the removal of presidential assent from the process of the amendment.

But, the then president, Dr Goodluck Jonathan, refused assent to the amendment because of the removal of the clause contained in Section 9 of the 1999 Constitution.

Jonathan had insisted that the amendment would have been valid if supported by votes of not less than four-fifth majority of all the members of each chamber of the National Assembly.

In addition, he said that it also ought to have been approved by a resolution of the House of Assembly of not less than two-thirds of all the states as provided by Section 9 (3) of the 1999 Constitution.

However, Saraki said that going by the process of amending the Constitution, the final decision of federal and state legislatures should be seen as the decision of the people.

“Well, to me, if two-thirds of the National Assembly agrees to something and two-thirds of the state assemblies also agree, in my view, the President should accept that as the wish of the people.

“Does he really need to assent? Personally, I don’t think so; that is my personal view, because with two-third of National Assembly, two-third of states’ assemblies, the people have spoken,” he said.

Saraki added that the senate would follow up on the amendment process in the states to ensure that there was wide consultation and sensitisation.

http://www.nan.ng/news/constitution-review-presidential-assent-unnecessary-saraki/amp/

2 Likes

Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by smartty68(m): 6:56am On Aug 04, 2017
However, Saraki said that going by the process of amending the Constitution, the final decision of federal and state legislatures should be seen as the decision of the people.

“Well, to me, if two-thirds of the National Assembly agrees to something and two-thirds of the state assemblies also agree, in my view, the President should accept that as the wish of the people.
Who are the people? angry
Keep playing with the constitution, shebi e don turn drawing book bah...!

Why won't the Presidential Assent by unnecessary, after all we've been made to believe that the cabals run the government. Mtchewww

APC & Cluelessness are like Siamese twins

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by kbams241: 6:57am On Aug 04, 2017
Ok wev heard u..pls refund the pension uve collected as an ex-gov of kwara state

6 Likes

Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by smartty68(m): 7:06am On Aug 04, 2017
Lalasticlala
Mynd44

3 Likes

Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by olaNL: 7:09am On Aug 04, 2017
which people is he referring to here. This nass members are taking Nigerians for a ride.

So what he is saying is that they can decide to give themselves immunity, unlimited allowance, and whatever they wish.

I am of the opinion that the national Assembly should be scraped or at least we should only have house of reps. That institution is a complete waste of the nations resources. They are like a thorn in our flesh.

16 Likes

Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by 48noble(m): 7:16am On Aug 04, 2017
people keep speaking and u guys keep manipulating them

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by Young03(m): 7:19am On Aug 04, 2017
This man self
when I grow up, I will like to be like him

2 Likes

Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by lightblazingnow(m): 7:21am On Aug 04, 2017
The people should have known better than just only in a reference as they do

Wake up Nigerians... Wake up people

Wake me

2 Likes

Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by Redoil: 7:46am On Aug 04, 2017
Saraki might be right to an extent since apc hardly do wrong

3 Likes

Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by omowolewa: 8:49am On Aug 04, 2017
Legislative coup.

Wish of the people is a restructured NIgeria, the Senate turned another eyes to it.

Was there any public hearing or people's votes to give it people's direction.

Until I hear from my Pastor, Professor, SAN first, you can't be a judge in your own case!

4 Likes

Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by Flexherbal(m): 9:05am On Aug 04, 2017
Ok
Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by adewumiopeyemi(m): 9:05am On Aug 04, 2017
Ok
Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by logne: 9:05am On Aug 04, 2017
hmm
Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by success1smyn(m): 9:06am On Aug 04, 2017
If the president's assent is removed then where is our check and balance
They want absolute power ni?

11 Likes

Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by bravesoul247(m): 9:06am On Aug 04, 2017
It is just so disheartening that we leave our fate and future to the hands of criminals. Trusting them with our lives and future hoping they'll safe guide it. Too bad

3 Likes

Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by Ramon92: 9:07am On Aug 04, 2017
To checkmate the mere commissioner in case he becomes president and future presidents who won't dance to their corrupt tune. Another hint Buhari is not coming back or won't last his tenure..

Shebi he wants to be president? His words will still come back to haunt him..

4 Likes

Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by malton: 9:07am On Aug 04, 2017
The simple explanation is that you're being too ambitious. I hope you don't choke on it.

Mynd44, you banned me unjustly, 2 months out, I'm back again. Take it easy.

3 Likes

Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by twilliamx(m): 9:08am On Aug 04, 2017
Hmmm.
Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by jobbers: 9:08am On Aug 04, 2017
oh
Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by gbegemaster(m): 9:09am On Aug 04, 2017
smartty68:

Who are the people? angry
Keep playing with the constitution, shebi e don turn drawing book bah...!
Na their drawing book for real.

Them dey use crayon color am anyhow.

3 Likes

Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by Nobody: 9:10am On Aug 04, 2017
Just here to read comments
Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by magoo10(m): 9:10am On Aug 04, 2017
ok politicians now interpreting the constitution the way it pleases them,its not their fault ,Nigeria is running a military and confused constitution which does her no good.

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by smartty68(m): 9:10am On Aug 04, 2017
gbegemaster:
Na their drawing book for real.

Them dey use crayon color am anyhow.
Lol grin

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by success1smyn(m): 9:11am On Aug 04, 2017
Young03:
This man self

never try to be like him. You might like some qualities in him though, what you need do is that you work to acquire those qualities and add them to the positive ones you already have ( or seen in other role model of yours) and you will be better than him.

THE BEST YOU COULD EVER BE IS YOURSELF.

4 Likes

Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by OmoManU: 9:13am On Aug 04, 2017
Dude showing his real nature
Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by TEYA: 9:13am On Aug 04, 2017
I keep losing my faith in this country more and more by the day. The vote of the national assembly is the vote of the people because the people vote them. Does this stupįd man realise the people also voted the president? Does this ídiot know anything about the doctrine of separation of power?

4 Likes

Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by omooba969(m): 9:13am On Aug 04, 2017
Young03:
This man self

Be careful what you wish for.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Drama As Senators Rebuke NEPAD Officials For Redundancy, Threaten To Ask Buhari / Boko Haram Kills 7 Soldiers In Baroua, Niger Republic / 2023: Nobody Will Steal Money Under My Watch As President Of Nigeria – Atiku

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.