Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,385 members, 7,830,003 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:47 PM

Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki (15167 Views)

Senate Inaugurates Constitution Review Committee / Electoral (amendment) Bill 2018 Not Declined Presidential Assent / Presidential Assent Possible In Three Days If…, Says Ita Enang (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by Kiakia(m): 9:34am On Aug 04, 2017
lightblazingnow:

http://www.nan.ng/news/constitution-review-presidential-assent-unnecessary-saraki/amp/
This Saraki sef. Which people have spoken? Did the people approve the non-inclusion of devolution of power to the states in the constitutional amendment? Tell me another!
Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by Slai1: 9:38am On Aug 04, 2017
Therefore he shouldn't bother visiting Nigeria.
Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by Awoofawo(m): 9:42am On Aug 04, 2017
Saraki, Saraki, Saraki......................................................................if I lay my hands on you.......ha ajekuniya lo ma je! angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry saraki greed can not be qualify with any know word in humand dictionary.............................................The useless mofo wan held 9ja hostage like he did in Kwara.......Ko le work! angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry You go meet us dere! asiwere Sinators all you na be!

On serious note thought both house must joinly approve major constitution ammendment resolution, of are there some grey points we laymen to understand?! Lawyers abeg e shalaye fun wa.....( Expain and break it down)
Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by netmillionaires(m): 9:42am On Aug 04, 2017
All we want is that any vote from a senator should be on the instruction of the people from his constituency. The moment that is done the better for us. How can one employ a manager and cease to have a say in the affair of the company just because the manager is there? Or which manager makes decision without consulting the real owner of the company? We need a law that all senators can only vote on the instructions of his constituents and any senator's vote that breach this law should be considered null and void and the senator automatically recalled.
Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by massive1019(m): 9:48am On Aug 04, 2017
Legislatures keep amending what will favour them...... Now at the end...they will blame the president on not performing well.

egocentric bunch of people
Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by adem30: 10:08am On Aug 04, 2017
The day Saraki became Senate president is the day I knew Nigeria problem just started. He want to run Nigeria like he ran Kwara State.

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by dman4mdmoon(m): 10:10am On Aug 04, 2017
Well, the only thing that caught my attention is the phrase "that is my personal view". Truly, it is his personal view. So he should keep it to himself.

2 Likes

Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by greatman247(m): 10:29am On Aug 04, 2017
But there is Senate assent to appoint EFCCs chairman? Continue keep using the whole Nigeria heads play politics.

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by ajoks533: 10:57am On Aug 04, 2017
and we are meant to sit and watch. Its better people start doing whatever they like in this country...because i don't see any one worthy of ruling this nation. All are criminals and thieves.
Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by AntiWailer: 10:59am On Aug 04, 2017
why wont president sign a constitution amendment.

Are these guys crazy ?
Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by Reference(m): 11:49am On Aug 04, 2017
Totally concur. Having 500 odd people take a decision is less dangerous than letting one man do same. However the problem is getting 500 to agree on a positive thing in Nigeria is akin to me hitting a hole in one from...500 yards.... nigh impossible.
Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by Reference(m): 12:07pm On Aug 04, 2017
AntiWailer:
why wont president sign a constitution amendment.

Are these guys crazy ?

Well see it this way. The President like every individual has a view and a bias that may or not be favourable to certain aspects like you and I. A wider representation makes it possible to water down that bias.

Secondly legislators are closer to the people and see them more frequently. When last did the man in Akwa Ibom or Sokoto see Mr. President after the campaign. Even at the best of times (OBJ and IBB being the best travellers the past 40 years) the needs of the people are dynamic and certainly a lot of things have changed since 2015.

Lastly, accountability. The President is less accountable to the people than their reps. In fact, in developed economies/democracies the reps often take the fire locally for the policies of the central government especially where both are of the same political party and that is why they often battle the executive in session because they want to be seen at least to resist unpopular policies. It is only fair they be given a wide latitude to decide certain aspdcts of governance.

Remember democracy is all about representation. I know this is relatively new in Nigeria and years of dictatorship has eaten away at our ability to collectively decide stuff without the favour and pleasure of a 'strongman' but this is the only way to develop.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by Lumig: 1:06pm On Aug 04, 2017
This man sef! He wants absolute power and immunity for him and his cronies while they lick us dry. So that nobody will be able to question them
Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by Lumig: 1:10pm On Aug 04, 2017
Reference:

Well see it this way. The President like every individual has a view and a bias that may or not be favourable to certain aspects like you and I. A wider representation makes it possible to water down that bias.

Secondly legislators are closer to the people and see them more frequently. When last did the man in Akwa Ibom or Sokoto see Mr. President after the campaign. Even at the best of times (OBJ and IBB being the best travellers the past 40 years) the needs of the people are dynamic and certainly a lot of things have changed since 2015.

Lastly, accountability. The President is less accountable to the people than their reps. In fact, in developed economies/democracies the reps often take the fire locally for the policies of the central government especially where both are of the same political party and that is why they often battle the executive in session because they want to be seen at least to resist unpopular policies. It is only fair they be given a wide latitude to decide certain aspdcts of governance.

Remember democracy is all about representation. I know this is relatively new in Nigeria and years of dictatorship has eaten away at our ability to collectively decide stuff without the favour and pleasure of a 'strongman' but this is the only way to develop.
Oga! You have a good point, but we can't try it with this set of selfish "legislooters ", otherwise Nigeria will be sold on the blackmarket.
Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by bizzibodi(m): 2:30pm On Aug 04, 2017
dis man is turning to an uncontrollable monster,he want 2 hijack d constitution & alter it as it suit him,whre iz that useless shakau when we need him most?cnt he & his bomb-laden demons pay a visit to Nass?
Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by BeardedMeat(m): 3:07pm On Aug 04, 2017
Young03:
This man self

when I grow up, I will like to be like him
Why?
Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by RaphaeloBurgess: 3:48pm On Aug 04, 2017
Fallacy
Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by Blue3k(m): 4:09pm On Aug 04, 2017
You guys don't think. This issue still up in air legally. The don't need assent in my opinion because the needs 2/3 majority to get a Constitutional amendment going. Then you need 2/3 majority in each State HOA. After majority of states agree it's passed.

How can you veto something like that.
Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by orisa37: 5:04pm On Aug 04, 2017
Just let him assent. Refusal to do so might be a ground to impeach him and will not invalidate the decision of the people.
Where does Jonathan get 4/5 of votes? That was very selfish. No wonder the NC Report was ignored by APC.
Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by GreyLaw(m): 5:20pm On Aug 04, 2017
Blue3k:
You guys don't think. This issue still up in air legally. The don't need assent in my opinion because the needs 2/3 majority to get a Constitutional amendment going. Then you need 2/3 majority in each State HOA. After majority of states agree it's passed.

How can you veto something like that.

You know, many of the people who commented were not actually thinking.

Like you said, Saraki is right!

People always discountenance everything the man says simply because of the preconceived ideas against him, which is akin to throwing away both the baby and the bathtub.

If the National Assembly plus 2/3 of all State Houses of Assembly can agree on a thing, I think it should be law.

Nobody can veto such a thing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by tk4rd: 9:50am On Aug 05, 2017
These pple are seriously downplaying the Local Government Council decisions..
Or do they not represent "The Voice Of The People" too.??
Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by Nellybii: 11:54am On Aug 06, 2017
Reference:

So you suggest the president becomes irrelevant but Senate President is now all in all.
Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by awuf2008: 3:04pm On Aug 06, 2017
This bunch of criminality minded members of national assembly are not there to serve people's interest but their personal and selfish interest.
Re: Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki by awuf2008: 12:42pm On Aug 08, 2017
awuf2008:
This bunch of criminality minded members of national assembly are not there to serve people's interest but their personal and selfish interest.
You are 100% correct. They represent themselves not we the electorate.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kano Blast Forces PDP To Postpone House Of Assembly Primaries / Why The Nigerian Police Is So Ineffective: A Policeman Narrates / Saraki And Ekweremadu Arrive Court For Continuation Of Their Forgery Trial(pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.