Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,181 members, 7,953,648 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:46 PM

N10,000 Prize For UNN Best Graduating Medical Student Causes Outrage (Photos) - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / N10,000 Prize For UNN Best Graduating Medical Student Causes Outrage (Photos) (33671 Views)

KBKFoundation To Give N500,000 To Ikekpeazu Chidinma UNN Best Graduating Student / Gtbank Dissociates Itself From N10k Given To Unn’s Best Graduating Student / Eke Ifeanyichukwu Emmanuel, UNN Best Graduating Student (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: N10,000 Prize For UNN Best Graduating Medical Student Causes Outrage (Photos) by emperormossad(m): 1:45pm On Aug 08, 2017
jaylicioussss:
GTB already answered to the question on twitter. That the money is from the student body, the bank is just the association's bank. That's all, the girl got over 250k and I think employment from the school dear.
She hasn't gotten employment yet. I doubt she would. The best graduating students for the past 2 years haven gotten, don't think it will start with her.
Re: N10,000 Prize For UNN Best Graduating Medical Student Causes Outrage (Photos) by emperormossad(m): 1:47pm On Aug 08, 2017
Ebonka1:
Blessing fall on you
Do you know how much the association gets from its 'sourcing' of funds?
Re: N10,000 Prize For UNN Best Graduating Medical Student Causes Outrage (Photos) by abercrombie(m): 1:50pm On Aug 08, 2017
MaziOmenuko:
Jes

And this is for a medical student? Pls tell me that was a mistake!
the it should be #100
Re: N10,000 Prize For UNN Best Graduating Medical Student Causes Outrage (Photos) by jaylicioussss(f): 2:01pm On Aug 08, 2017
emperormossad:

She hasn't gotten employment yet. I doubt she would. The best graduating students for the past 2 years haven gotten, don't think it will start with her.
Oh they don't give to medical students or they don't give anymore?. I know those in my set were given. Have they stopped it?
Re: N10,000 Prize For UNN Best Graduating Medical Student Causes Outrage (Photos) by Joenike: 2:07pm On Aug 08, 2017
There is nothing like departmental prize, even school prize is less than 10,000. During my own time, I was given just 5000 by the school as the best graduating in my department. The worst was that I received the money 3 weeks after the award ceremony. undecided
Re: N10,000 Prize For UNN Best Graduating Medical Student Causes Outrage (Photos) by jaylicioussss(f): 2:10pm On Aug 08, 2017
Yusufsaheed:
cum 2 FUDMA here n c wer first class students and 4 pointers are paid 60k and 20k evry session nt 2 talk of best graduating student. dis is ridiculous. up FUDMA. shout out 2 my A.G VC prof Bichi(the best v.c ever)

Wow are you serious? but what of the students association, do they give the best graduating anything too?
Re: N10,000 Prize For UNN Best Graduating Medical Student Causes Outrage (Photos) by MadCow1: 2:13pm On Aug 08, 2017
oyb:

weellll. . .
the prize also says alot about the value we place on academic achievement

dad, i am the best student in my class!
cool, now take this money and buy one okrika office shoe, you've done well.

we should also not be disturbed when we hear the guy is in uk or us.

the doctor brain drain is a real thing

Well.. That sure is another way to look at it.
Re: N10,000 Prize For UNN Best Graduating Medical Student Causes Outrage (Photos) by Jman06(m): 2:15pm On Aug 08, 2017
The guy should be expressly absorbed into UNTH as a resident and should be supported with a scholarship aside his salary upto the end of his residency training. That's how it should be done!
Re: N10,000 Prize For UNN Best Graduating Medical Student Causes Outrage (Photos) by Egalitarian1: 2:32pm On Aug 08, 2017
Even that banner is almost 10k and they had the temerity to give such nonsense amount to the brilliant graduate. Make God help us! Nigeria is a failure in disguise gaskia!

Re: N10,000 Prize For UNN Best Graduating Medical Student Causes Outrage (Photos) by LegendaryArnold(m): 2:47pm On Aug 08, 2017
the banner alone costs more than 10k... see how they're even shining their teeth... they not even ashamed SMH
Re: N10,000 Prize For UNN Best Graduating Medical Student Causes Outrage (Photos) by perdollar(m): 2:56pm On Aug 08, 2017
Onedibe1:
UNN na sch?
bros talk true! unn frustrated u ba?
Re: N10,000 Prize For UNN Best Graduating Medical Student Causes Outrage (Photos) by perdollar(m): 2:57pm On Aug 08, 2017
Jman06:
The guy should be expressly absorbed into UNTH as a resident and should be supported with a scholarship aside his salary upto the end of his residency training. That's how it should be done!
na woman o........ chidimma
Re: N10,000 Prize For UNN Best Graduating Medical Student Causes Outrage (Photos) by Emanodimo(m): 3:08pm On Aug 08, 2017
beycity:
Hahahaha!! the cost of making the banner should be more than the prize.

Truth not just a fact.. What I get to understand is that u are there to be trained not for reward... So what ever they reward you with, take it.
Re: N10,000 Prize For UNN Best Graduating Medical Student Causes Outrage (Photos) by emperormossad(m): 3:16pm On Aug 08, 2017
jaylicioussss:
Oh they don't give to medical students or they don't give anymore?. I know those in my set were given. Have they stopped it?
We've lost our best brains over time to other institutions due to lack of appreciation on the part of respective admins. I hope this turns out to be different.
Re: N10,000 Prize For UNN Best Graduating Medical Student Causes Outrage (Photos) by emperormossad(m): 3:17pm On Aug 08, 2017
jaylicioussss:
Which set were you by the way?
Re: N10,000 Prize For UNN Best Graduating Medical Student Causes Outrage (Photos) by stevecantrell: 3:23pm On Aug 08, 2017
My dear girl,
youve just been given a taste of what the future holds for your career in Nigeria.
Do your mandatory Housemanship and escape to greener pastures where your talents would be better appreciated.
Re: N10,000 Prize For UNN Best Graduating Medical Student Causes Outrage (Photos) by cheta02(m): 3:26pm On Aug 08, 2017
Sleyanya1:
Lol grin

Welcome to Nigeria where Mediocrity is highly Celebrated than Intellectual prowess.

A very good friend of mine, Best graduating student in Biochemistry (UNIPORT) received in a brown envelope, the sum of N100 as a Prize set by an Emeritus prof.

Re: N10,000 Prize For UNN Best Graduating Medical Student Causes Outrage (Photos) by steve6: 3:29pm On Aug 08, 2017
...And you wonderful why to an extent, the younger generation are not really interested in education!
Re: N10,000 Prize For UNN Best Graduating Medical Student Causes Outrage (Photos) by Jman06(m): 3:32pm On Aug 08, 2017
perdollar:
na woman o........ chidimma
Ok!
Re: N10,000 Prize For UNN Best Graduating Medical Student Causes Outrage (Photos) by Organs(m): 3:32pm On Aug 08, 2017
goldfish80:
The banner inscription reads "University of Nigeria medical students association". I believe this is the departmental students association gala night.
10k is quite reasonable handout for such a group to give its member.

Goldfish, nobi everybody get sense like you. That is to tell you how backward we are in Nigeria. Imagine comparing that to beauty pageants that will get sponsorships etc. Also, that tells you its a collective issue. Organise two shows and invite people to come witness medical school graduating students competition free of charge come one come all free drinks will be served VS Mrs Enugu beauty pageant N500 gate fee, you will pay for your drinks and let me see which one gets more people, yet all these same people will be here commenting and pointing fingers.

1 Like

Re: N10,000 Prize For UNN Best Graduating Medical Student Causes Outrage (Photos) by Rotimi16(m): 3:35pm On Aug 08, 2017
Even at that! Must they print a banner to give 10k if it's a departmental goften like it's something big.. *smh*
goldfish80:
The banner inscription reads "University of Nigeria medical students association". I believe this is the departmental students association gala night.
10k is quite reasonable handout for such a group to give its member.
Re: N10,000 Prize For UNN Best Graduating Medical Student Causes Outrage (Photos) by Organs(m): 3:39pm On Aug 08, 2017
A lot of things are at stake here:
1. Nigerians attach more importance to material and monetary entitlements than recognition. Imagine most people attaching importance to the amount. How about the recognition and that on his resume!!
2. The Nigerian factor is at play here as well, though this guy might be best graduating student, he might not get the sponsorship, opportunities and factors needed to excel and utilize this gift.
3. Most of the people commenting are also guilty of the same thing. They all will rather go watch a beauty pageant that has a gate fee than attend a best graduating event free of charge.
4. This is a departmental event, that is what they can afford but as always we never pay attention, always comparing apples to oranges.
5. Conclusively, we all can do something about it. Stop complaining, seek out the student and give him your own donation if you feel he didn't get enough, period.
Re: N10,000 Prize For UNN Best Graduating Medical Student Causes Outrage (Photos) by Sleyanya1(m): 3:41pm On Aug 08, 2017
[quote author=cheta02 post=59272113][/quote]

grin grin it's unimaginable I understand.

I'd have doubted if I wasn't very close to the girl and if I hadn't seen the brown envelope, with the amount written on it.
Anyways she was consoled by the GEJ best female in Biochemistry awards. ( N50,000).

So it exists, the fact you're doubting doesn't change the fact. Lol

I'm well behaved too.
Re: N10,000 Prize For UNN Best Graduating Medical Student Causes Outrage (Photos) by cheta02(m): 3:42pm On Aug 08, 2017
So because you saw GTB bank Logo !!! The bank is not aware of that function.Its just a departmental stuff though the cash is low.

Final verdict : The president of the association is up to something ! Put him on 24hrs CCTV.

Re: N10,000 Prize For UNN Best Graduating Medical Student Causes Outrage (Photos) by klenton(m): 4:09pm On Aug 08, 2017
na wao...even the banner where the 10k is written
is even costlier than award money
seriously na wao
Re: N10,000 Prize For UNN Best Graduating Medical Student Causes Outrage (Photos) by jaylicioussss(f): 4:10pm On Aug 08, 2017
emperormossad:

Which set were you by the way?
2012, not Medicine o. Pure and and industrial chemistry. I doubt that any good student will wait to be appreciated before delivering excellence. Your goal in school is to acquire knowledge, whether you are rewarded for doing this or not, shouldn't even be a priority. Except if the lecturers are found wanting or something like that. I honestly do not see reward as a core motivation for a student. My opinion though.
Re: N10,000 Prize For UNN Best Graduating Medical Student Causes Outrage (Photos) by kobabe(m): 4:36pm On Aug 08, 2017
And Efe got 25m
Re: N10,000 Prize For UNN Best Graduating Medical Student Causes Outrage (Photos) by DONADAMS(m): 4:38pm On Aug 08, 2017
this is very bad..but those of you complaining..isn't it the same everywhereuna just dey condemn naija like say na only dem dey do am
Re: N10,000 Prize For UNN Best Graduating Medical Student Causes Outrage (Photos) by toggy: 5:31pm On Aug 08, 2017
The 10k gift is from the Medical Student Association, however, the banner is just too big, probably more than 10k to design. Focus my people.
Re: N10,000 Prize For UNN Best Graduating Medical Student Causes Outrage (Photos) by Nobody: 5:44pm On Aug 08, 2017
MaziOmenuko:
Jesu!

That banner alone costs more than the 10k! And GTB is not ashamed to have its logo on that abomination? What sort of humiliating act is this?

Maltina Danceall, Voice of Nigeria, Gulder ultimate search, Naija got talent, Big brother africa...tell me what will motivate the youths of today?

And this is for a medical student? Pls tell me that was a mistake!
And imagine how much she must spent for fees throughout the duration of the program. A really paltry sum. Well, her reward awaits her out there....
Re: N10,000 Prize For UNN Best Graduating Medical Student Causes Outrage (Photos) by TheKingIsHere: 5:58pm On Aug 08, 2017
flyca:

You are wise.
He is not wise because even the money spent on the banner cost more than the amount given to her

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Imo State University(Imsu) 2015/2016 De/Utme Thread. / Private Universities That Are Not Owned By Religious Institutions. / I Support Flogging Of My Daughter - Father Of Kwara Islamic School Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.