Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,094 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:13 AM

Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda (14941 Views)

"Paul Kagame Did Not Withdraw From WEFA Because Of Xenophobia" Rwandan Official / 17-year-old Gay In Chechnya Pushed From 9th Floor Balcony After Being Outed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by Guyman02: 11:29am On Aug 10, 2017
kjhova:

Haba! Are you familiar with happenings in Rwanda or you are only just reacting based on the jaundiced report from AP?

"Kagame, the controversial president of Rwanda..." is as jaundiced a statement as can ever be made by anybody. The Western powers and there media have this view of Paul Kagame as an autocrat but cannot dispute the fact that since Kagame took power in Rwanda, this small but densely populated central African country has been the fasted growing economy in Africa, the most gender equitable, most educated (in dual European languages of French and English), the most peaceful and all.

Rwanda has the lowest unemployment rate in continental Africa and the least dependent on foreign aids amongst the East and Central African community. Infact, Kagame has reduced Rwanda's foreign aid to budget ratio from about 80% after the 1994 genocide to less than 20% in 2017 and the government is bent on achieving zero dependence on foreign donors before president Kagame leave office.

According to my good pilot friend (omo Naija wey finish from OOU) who left Arik Air for Rwandair and now resides in Kigali, Rwanda is the best managed country in Africa today. In Kigali, the government have a dedicated programme to rehabilitate street children and the quality of government funded education available to homeless Rwandan children beats standard private schools in Nigeria.

Kagame is not a sit tight dictator, no, not by such definition of Idi Amin or Paul Biya. Kagame, if he isn't derailed either by external forces or by his own folly, could be the Lee Kuan Yew of Africa.

Thank you. I think the days of western media fooling the world is gone for good. Even US President Trump calls them Fake News CNN, BBC, AP, Fox, etc

Kagame has transformed Rwanda, today the people have almost forgotten that there was genocide a few years ago because most are educated now. The Hutu and Tutsi think more about growth for their country than hate for one another.
That is what northern Nigeria needs now, educated majority and Boko Haram will disappear

4 Likes

Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by Idango(m): 11:33am On Aug 10, 2017
MadCow1:
Rwanda still be country?
My friend, you need to go to Rwanda and see. Nigeria can only dream of it.
Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by newoffer: 11:38am On Aug 10, 2017
Mugabe's bloodline
Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by ChiefOlabowla(m): 11:40am On Aug 10, 2017
Bloody Scam
Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by udemzyudex(m): 11:40am On Aug 10, 2017
I just love their ladies, beautiful.
Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by julietm123: 11:44am On Aug 10, 2017
Camillus92:

The way we igbos are also paying for ours
sorry for your life. You and you generation can keep paying for your sins. Wetin concern Igbos. Fo..li..sh yorubasta.

1 Like

Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by geez18(m): 11:47am On Aug 10, 2017
these useless western nations, where were they when genocidal killings nearly wiped out an entire people?

whenever they perceive an african leader to be an anchor point in the development of africa, they start their evil propaganda to discredit and debase that leader. that was the case with Maumar Ghaddafi.

i hope that african leaders will open their eyes and see that most of these western nations don't have out progressive interest at heart. they want to keep us perpertually subjugated; a ready market for their willful exploitation.

6 Likes

Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by nnokwa042(m): 11:47am On Aug 10, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Hutus have overpaid for the sins of the genocide.

The Tutsis have now succeeded in making them second class citizens politically.
imagine 20% of population ruling 80% but shaa Kigali is still better than Nigerian capitals upon thier small economy

5 Likes

Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by julietm123: 11:48am On Aug 10, 2017
iammolise:
Like are they practicing "monarchy" or something.

Come on! when will Africa grow up.
Be there talking. Nigeria has been changing presidents like pant. See where we are. Even with this one man as president since the war, they are already ahead of Nigeria.
Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by vaca1: 11:54am On Aug 10, 2017
Ewedegubbler:
Visit Rwanda and you will cry for Nigeria...
Don't mind them . ny friend went to Rwanda and refused to come back .

4 Likes

Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by omusiliyu(m): 11:59am On Aug 10, 2017
Suspect33:
This is not man who did that, the war was not ended by man, the rebels surrendered, but a certain paul rusesabagina (not paul kagama) sheltered 1200 people in his hotel
You wrote based on the film (Hotel Rwanda ) you watched.
Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by kokan: 12:00pm On Aug 10, 2017
flyca:

Will you be surprised if I prove to you that Rwanda is 100 times better than the Nigeria of today?

You are so right.....The neatest and the fastest growing economy in Africa... Let him google it

2 Likes

Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by tonguengineer(m): 12:02pm On Aug 10, 2017
DuBLINGreenb:
Stoopind pipu
How do they rig so efficiently even Jesus can not win 93% of votes
What has he given rwandans? Eternal life?
Beware of blasphemy please

What has Jesus come to do with this now

2 Likes

Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by chinchum(m): 12:08pm On Aug 10, 2017
Good he has done well for the country, however sitting tight is condemn able because humans by nature at a point start feeling like a demi god and subsequently begins to misbehave. Anyone conversant with Mugabe when he started ruling Zimbabwe in 1980 will know he started well in the first 15 years or thereabout as president of Zimbabwe.

What Kagame ought to have done was to have started grooming a group of successors at least in the last 5 years , and thereafter pick one as the annointed one. I am certain his performance will dwindle in the coming years courtesy a sense of absolute power, "dark spots", old age, e.t.c

2 Likes

Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by Nobody: 12:10pm On Aug 10, 2017
chinchum:
Good he has done well for the country, however sitting tight is condemn able because humans by nature at a point start feeling like a demi god and subsequently begins to misbehave. Anyone conversant with Mugabe when he started ruling Zimbabwe in 1980 will know he started well in the first 15 years or thereabout as president of Zimbabwe.

What Kagame ought to have done was to have started grooming a group of successors at least in the last 5 years , and thereafter pick one as the annointed one. I am certain his performance will dwindle in the coming years courtesy a sense of absolute power, "dark spots", old age, e.t.c
59 is still very young. I think retirement age should be 70. old age begins from 80 to 100+

1 Like

Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by Cuntslayer: 12:13pm On Aug 10, 2017
Ewedegubbler:
Visit Rwanda and you will cry for Nigeria...

Very true my brother

1 Like

Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by iammolise(m): 12:15pm On Aug 10, 2017
julietm123:

Be there talking. Nigeria has been changing presidents like pant. See where we are. Even with this one man as president since the war, they are already ahead of Nigeria.

Abi... But still, i don't deem it right for one man to sit on authority for that long, that's covetousness. Even if as u say he's lead them well, let him give way for younger ones to show their capabilities. I don't want to believe for all his tenures on power he hasn't play foul.. I'm not disagreeing with u buh I just think we "Africa" should've grown up by now to still be in the position where only old people invariably rule/gorvern and preside in the presidency.

1 Like

Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by Nobody: 12:24pm On Aug 10, 2017
julietm123:

sorry for your life. You and you generation can keep paying for your sins. Wetin concern Igbos. Fo..li..sh yorubasta.

What are u saying, I'm Igbo, and aren't we paying for what happened in 1967, are we not relegated to the background in politics, d facts speaks for itself. So what is your point. And just to add, im not foolish but I won't insult u because I'm above your level.

3 Likes

Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by Suspect33(m): 12:31pm On Aug 10, 2017
omusiliyu:

You wrote based on the film (Hotel Rwanda ) you watched.
No, i made research, you should research it as well
Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by omusiliyu(m): 12:39pm On Aug 10, 2017
Suspect33:
No, i made research, you should research it as well

Paul Kagame (/kəˈɡɑːmeɪ/; born 23 October 1957) is the current President of Rwanda having taken office in 2000 when his predecessor, Pasteur Bizimungu, resigned. Kagame previously commanded the rebel force that ended the 1994 Rwandan Genocide. He was considered Rwanda's de facto leader when he served as Vice President and Minister of Defence from 1994 to 2000.

Continue reading https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Kagame

1 Like

Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by Suspect33(m): 12:49pm On Aug 10, 2017
omusiliyu:

Paul Kagame (/kəˈɡɑːmeɪ/; born 23 October 1957) is the current President of Rwanda having taken office in 2000 when his predecessor, Pasteur Bizimungu, resigned. Kagame previously commanded the rebel force that ended the 1994 Rwandan Genocide. He was considered Rwanda's de facto leader when he served as Vice President and Minister of Defence from 1994 to 2000.

Continue reading https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Kagame
wow you're right, i only knew of paul rusesabagina
Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by akigbemaru: 12:50pm On Aug 10, 2017
omusiliyu:
Rwanda’s long-time President Paul Kagame has easily won a third term in office in a vote he had called “a formality.”

Kagame, the controversial president of Rwanda, won a landslide victory in the small African state’s election, securing a third term extending his 17 years in power.

The result gives him another seven years leading the small east African nation praised for its economic performance but criticised for its silencing of opponents.

Electoral authorities overnight said Mr Kagame had won more than 98 per cent of the vote with 80 per cent of ballots counted, with no major change expected when final results are announced later on Saturday.

He addressed jubilant supporters at party headquarters and urged Rwandans, including those who did not support him, to work together.

“This election was criticised so much due to me continuing to be your leader, especially people from outside the country because they oppose the will of Rwandans,” he told supporters. “But Rwandans have shown that it was not manipulated by anyone but their own will.”

Mr Kagame has led the country of 12 million people since his rebels helped to end its genocide in 1994 during which more than 800,000 Tutsis and moderate Hutus were massacred by Hutu extremists.

The Associated Press said 59-year-old Kagame has been praised for the country’s economic growth, but human rights groups accuse his government of using state powers to silence opposition. Rwandan authorities, including the president, deny it.

A constitutional amendment in 2015 allows him to stay in power until 2034 if he pursues it.

Mr Kagame was running against Frank Habineza of the Democratic Green Party of Rwanda – the only permitted opposition party – and independent candidate and former journalist Philippe Mpayimana.

Three potential candidates were disqualified for allegedly failing to fulfil requirements including collecting enough signatures.

With 80 per cent of votes counted, Mr Mpayimana had just 0.72 per cent and conceded defeat and congratulated Mr Kagame. Mr Habineza had 0.45 per cent.

More than 80 per cent of Rwanda’s 6.9 million registered voters cast their ballots, according to Charles Munyaneza, executive secretary of the Rwanda Electoral Commission.

In Rwanda’s capital Kigali, there had been little hint of the coming vote. Candidates had been barred from putting campaign posters in most public places, including schools and hospitals.

The electoral commission vetted candidates’ campaign messages, warning that their social media accounts could be blocked otherwise.

Two decades of often deadly attacks on political opponents, journalists and rights activists created a “climate of fear” ahead of Rwanda’s election, Amnesty International said in a report last month.

In 2010, Mr Kagame won with 93 per cent of the vote.

In July, he told a campaign rally that “the day of the presidential elections will just be a formality.”

http://tribuneonlineng.com/paul-kagame-wins-3rd-term-17-year-presidency-rwanda/
Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by ifyboy60(m): 1:00pm On Aug 10, 2017
GreatMahmud:

Trash...what is in Rwanda? A country with a size not up to 2 states in Nigeria. Remove kigali the capital city and all u have is a rural community..

ur ignorance is supersized.
development is not just about big cities bit the quality of life of the people.

7 Likes

Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by chinchum(m): 1:52pm On Aug 10, 2017
Sunstorm100:
59 is still very young. I think retirement age should be 70. old age begins from 80 to 100+
The problem is not primarily about age, but a mentality that he is the wisest and only intelligent that can lead the country 17 years after. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

2 Likes

Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by gozzlin: 1:53pm On Aug 10, 2017
I want him to continue ruling, since he's Tutsi. 50 more years of ruling by a Tutsi will not even atone for the genocide committed by the Hutus against them.

So, ride on Kagame, like Mugabe, you still have 30 more years to go.
Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by kjhova(m): 2:09pm On Aug 10, 2017
Guyman02:

Thank you. I think the days of western media fooling the world is gone for good. Even US President Trump calls them Fake News CNN, BBC, AP, Fox, etc

Kagame has transformed Rwanda, today the people have almost forgotten that there was genocide a few years ago because most are educated now. The Hutu and Tutsi think more about growth for their country than hate for one another.
That is what northern Nigeria needs now, educated majority and Boko Haram will disappear

Yes bro, we need a massive educational uplift of Nigerians, especially in the north.

However, to correct one small detail thou; CNN, BBC, AP etc are not "fake news" as Mr. Trump and his repartoire would have you accept. The very idea of the phrase "fake news" repulses me and as we jolly well know, the jury is still out on if Mr. Trump's own words should be accepted as truth or lies.
Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by codemaniacs: 2:14pm On Aug 10, 2017
kk

1 Like

Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by kjhova(m): 2:24pm On Aug 10, 2017
chinchum:

The late Lee Kuan Yew was prime minister of Singapore from 1959 to 1990 and in his time, the per capita incom of Singaporeans rose from Togo levels to far above that of the USA.

Mugabe was never good for Zimbabwe. He was a good freedom fighter but an appalling administrator of a thriving economy. Right from the eighties, he had laid the foundation for the utter destruction of Zimbabwe's economy by championing the badly concieved so-called land redistribution policy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by kjhova(m): 2:29pm On Aug 10, 2017
Suspect33:
wow you're right, i only knew of paul rusesabagina

Dear @Suspect33, nice of you to take corrections.

Lesson learnt is to spend more time in the library and pay less heed to hollywood. People in Rwanda don't even know Paul Rusesabagina who was only an infinitesimal character in the genocidal story but was lionized by the hollywood movie, Hotel Rwanda.
Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by 360command: 2:41pm On Aug 10, 2017
flyca:

Will you be surprised if I prove to you that Rwanda is 100 times better than the Nigeria of today?
wow, please tell me more I want to know. don't ignore my message.
Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by quenton02: 2:55pm On Aug 10, 2017
chinchum:

That how Stalin(the son of a poor cobler) got into power, "pose as friend".He spelt doom for Russians.
The world is too dangerous, what he ought do groom a child removing or limiting any external influence, to become the perfect heir.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Federal Appeals Court Dismisses Trump Campaign Lawsuit Over Pennsylvania Voting / Angola, Hit By Collapse Of Oil Prices, Seeks IMF Aid / Gaza: Biden Approves Military Air Drops Aid after last encounter left many dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.