Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,956 members, 7,825,003 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 11:06 PM

Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda (14955 Views)

"Paul Kagame Did Not Withdraw From WEFA Because Of Xenophobia" Rwandan Official / 17-year-old Gay In Chechnya Pushed From 9th Floor Balcony After Being Outed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by Suspect33(m): 3:09pm On Aug 10, 2017
kjhova:

Dear @Suspect33, nice of you to take corrections.

Lesson learnt is to spend more time in the library and pay less heed to hollywood. People in Rwanda don't even know Paul Rusesabagina who was only an infinitesimal character in the genocidal story but was lionized by the hollywood movie, Hotel Rwanda.
chai, bros, but why grin grin, so u now want me to go and buy dictionary in the recession
Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by kjhova(m): 3:27pm On Aug 10, 2017
gozzlin:
I want him to continue ruling, since he's Tutsi. 50 more years of ruling by a Tutsi will not even atone for the genocide committed by the Hutus against them.

So, ride on Kagame, like Mugabe, you still have 30 more years to go.

My friend, don't let the current wind of toxic tribal discuss in Nigeria colour your impression of the rest of the world.

Today's Rwanda is far different from that of 1994 in such that there is hardly any differentiation btw a Hutu and Tutsi.

The killings left such devastation in the country that most people accepted that never again will it happen and the economic growth since then has shifted people's concerns from tribe to money.
Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by Fidelismaria: 3:27pm On Aug 10, 2017
BigBelleControl:
The guy has tried for that country in terms of economic development and they have one of the fastest growing economies in Africa but I don't understand why African leaders like this sit-tight syndrome.

I think Africans are used to monarchical and hereditary system of government but the whites came to force their own system on us. We need to develop a system that suits our way.

I agree
Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by kjhova(m): 3:28pm On Aug 10, 2017
Suspect33:
chai, bros, but why grin grin, so u now want me to go and buy dictionary in the recession

Looool...I repent of my verbosity.
Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by omusiliyu(m): 3:30pm On Aug 10, 2017
Suspect33:
wow you're right, i only knew of paul rusesabagina
we learn everyday BRO

The other Paul is not a politician or military man. Just hotel worker
Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by kjhova(m): 3:34pm On Aug 10, 2017
codemaniacs:

how much are they paying you to defend fake news media

That you assume that I am paid, that I defend and that there is "fake news", altogether with no basis, induces me to empathise with the simplicity of your mind.
Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by GuntersChain(m): 4:44pm On Aug 10, 2017
a country of 10 million people, another 7 more years. Joining the likes of mugabe, biya.
Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by Gr8amechi: 5:01pm On Aug 10, 2017
kjhova:

Haba! Are you familiar with happenings in Rwanda or you are only just reacting based on the jaundiced report from AP?

"Kagame, the controversial president of Rwanda..." is as jaundiced a statement as can ever be made by anybody. The Western powers and there media have this view of Paul Kagame as an autocrat but cannot dispute the fact that since Kagame took power in Rwanda, this small but densely populated central African country has been the fasted growing economy in Africa, the most gender equitable, most educated (in dual European languages of French and English), the most peaceful and all.

Rwanda has the lowest unemployment rate in continental Africa and the least dependent on foreign aids amongst the East and Central African community. Infact, Kagame has reduced Rwanda's foreign aid to budget ratio from about 80% after the 1994 genocide to less than 20% in 2017 and the government is bent on achieving zero dependence on foreign donors before president Kagame leave office.

According to my good pilot friend (omo Naija wey finish from OOU) who left Arik Air for Rwandair and now resides in Kigali, Rwanda is the best managed country in Africa today. In Kigali, the government have a dedicated programme to rehabilitate street children and the quality of government funded education available to homeless Rwandan children beats standard private schools in Nigeria.

Kagame is not a sit tight dictator, no, not by such definition of Idi Amin or Paul Biya. Kagame, if he isn't derailed either by external forces or by his own folly, could be the Lee Kuan Yew of Africa.
I beg to differ from your view, I think this is where African get it wrong. Paul kagame has played his part what he should be focused on doing is building a system that can run on its own not making himself the system. If I where him I will develop a two term democracy and create a platform for intending leaders who must possess certain degree of character. This will make his legacy to live in unless one day all his good will be forgotten like that of Gaddafi

1 Like

Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by allcomage: 6:29pm On Aug 10, 2017
MadCow1:

Heheheheheheee... Prove it then.

he doesn't need to , i am confirming that Rwanda is 200 times better than Nigeria.
Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by MadCow1: 6:41pm On Aug 10, 2017
allcomage:

he doesn't need to , i am confirming that Rwanda is 200 times better than Nigeria.

I can also confirm to you that the Virgin Mary was not really a Virgin and she wasn't impregnated by an Angel... But I would be very shocked if you were to agree with me without proof.
Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by 2rucool(m): 6:53pm On Aug 10, 2017
African leaders...
Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by mikolo80: 7:18pm On Aug 10, 2017
ednut1:
cool. western democracy is a scam. Africans shud embrace Asian tigers kind of leadership. who democracy epp for iraq, Afghanistan or libya. ride on Rwandan msn
up Asian tigers
Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by gozzlin: 9:20pm On Aug 10, 2017
kjhova:

My friend, don't let the current wind of toxic tribal discuss in Nigeria colour your impression of the rest of the world.

Today's Rwanda is far different from that of 1994 in such that there is hardly any differentiation btw a Hutu and Tutsi.

The killings left such devastation in the country that most people accepted that never again will it happen and the economic growth since then has shifted people's concerns from tribe to money.

Aye! The more reason he should continue indefinitely. The rate of economic growth in that country is terrific. The beauty and massive development in Kigali speak volumes. Kigali is more beautiful than Abuja and Lagos can ever dream to be.

No one can ever do it like Kagame, the visionary leader.

1 Like

Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by kjhova(m): 10:25pm On Aug 10, 2017
Gr8amechi:
I beg to differ from your view, I think this is where African get it wrong. Paul kagame has played his part what he should be focused on doing is building a system that can run on its own not making himself the system. If I where him I will develop a two term democracy and create a platform for intending leaders who must possess certain degree of character. This will make his legacy to live in unless one day all his good will be forgotten like that of Gaddafi

I see your points and they are indeed credible.

However, you sure know that long service on it's own is not inherently evil. Lee Kuan Yew was Prime Minister of Singapore for 31 years and did a marvelous job in turning this country into the financial mega house which it is today. President LDR also ran America for 12 years and served more than 2 terms, defeating the Nazis in WW2.

The point is that, Kagame has done great with Rwanda over the years and that he is not a demagogue like Mugabe or Biya.
Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by Gr8amechi: 11:32pm On Aug 10, 2017
kjhova:

I see your points and they are indeed credible.

However, you sure know that long service on it's own is not inherently evil. Lee Kuan Yew was Prime Minister of Singapore for 31 years and did a marvelous job in turning this country into the financial mega house which it is today. President LDR also ran America for 12 years and served more than 2 terms, defeating the Nazis in WW2.

The point is that, Kagame has done great with Rwanda over the years and that he is not a demagogue like Mugabe or Biya.
But the fact remains that success without a successor is failure in disguise, it might have work there maybe because of their religion but trust me all his good deeds may be destroyed in a twinkle of an eye. He should be encouraged to create an Institution which can run on its own. Government shouldn't centre on one person but an institution that is defined and ordered

1 Like

Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by kjhova(m): 8:04am On Aug 11, 2017
Gr8amechi:
But the fact remains that success without a successor is failure in disguise, it might have work there maybe because of their religion but trust me all his good deeds may be destroyed in a twinkle of an eye. He should be encouraged to create an Institution which can run on its own. Government shouldn't centre on one person but an institution that is defined and ordered

Rwandan institutions are working and are relatively better than those of its neighbours. That the president has served for 17 years doesn't make him centre of government.

I agree that your fears are valid and that Rwanda must not become a one man show. This very fear, was attached to Lee Kuan Yew too, back in the days, but see how Singapore turned out.

Personally, I consider Kagame as a visionary who is above the average quality of leadership common in Africa. Hopefully he will have a wonderful successor among his closest allies when leaving.

2 Likes

Re: Paul Kagame Wins 3rd Term After 17-year Presidency In Rwanda by Outofsync(m): 1:11am On Apr 22, 2018
So much Dick sucking on Rwanda these days...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Angola, Hit By Collapse Of Oil Prices, Seeks IMF Aid / Hurricane Ida Throws New Orleans In Darkness, One Dies (Videos) / Gaza: Biden Approves Military Air Drops Aid after last encounter left many dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.