Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,576 members, 7,843,804 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 11:19 AM

At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. - Travel (172) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. (385579 Views)

Nvc Processing / Case Complete At NVC For IR1/CR1 Immigrant Visa / Photo Of Overspeeding Car That Flew Into The 2nd Floor Of A Building In The U.S (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) (174) (175) ... (179) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by Taal17: 6:11pm On Oct 03, 2023
aestake:

It is 10% chance of getting a non-immigrant visa when you have a pending migrant application. They believe you want to jump the line.
I think this has to be debunked.
There is no 10percent chance or anything like that.
I got multiple us visas whilst I waited. And others in travel section testified of the same.

You can't jump the line with visit visa F1 to F4 category, you will still go back to your country to do the consular processing. The years of waiting is already between 6-18yrs in our part of the world.

For those who are filing for spouses or minors in F category ..they already have the possibility of moving to IR anyways so coming in on a visit visa doesn't shorten your wait cos you will still do consular processing wait in the US and you can't work during that wait.

The OP case is spousal with kids under 10 , that's why I said they can apply to visit him. They have a young family so will they stay separated because their PD never reach.
Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by Taal17: 6:48pm On Oct 03, 2023
zed7:

If your brother applied last year, add another 19 years wait. Imagine adding 19 years to your age. If you're ambitious and focused, you'd have achieved so much by then.

My wife and kids used to go to the US for holidays, however, since I added them to my application, they've been refused a B1/B2 visa. I don't know if it's because they now have a pending immigration filing. Some people say it doesn't matter if you've been filed for that you can still visit but I seriously doubt that, the American's are not stupid. You could easily travel and go and wait out the process in the US.

Sometimes it looks like this thing has become a hindrance, as my family and I can't visit the US. We've had to try other places for family visit. That is the 'curse' of an immigrant visa application for me.

I got us visa multiple times during the wait.
Was your family refused just once?
Did you indicate that you've been filed for? There's usually a place where it asks if anyone filed immigrant visa for you..the answer should be filled yes. Visit visa application is based on showing you don't have immigrant intent that's what you focus on showing home ties here in Nigeria. Travel during vacation or school holiday time and do short trips 2+3weeks.

Wait out in the US for what? The wait is already 10years plus na , you can not work legally , no ssn , no state tuition etc.so staying adds no advantage to you if you're already on a 6 -18 yr wait.

Exceptions are like spouse or minor children category because they can easily move to IR which has no cap
Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by aestake: 7:29pm On Oct 03, 2023
Taal17:

I got multiple us visas whilst I waited. And others in travel section testified of the same.

[b]You can't jump the line with visit visa F1 to F4 category, you will still go back to your country to do the consular processing.
[/b]The years of waiting is already between 6-18yrs in our part of the world.

For those who are filing for spouses or minors in F category ..they already have the possibility of moving to IR anyways so coming in on a visit visa doesn't shorten your wait cos you will still do consular processing wait in the US and you can't work during that wait.

The OP case is spousal with kids under 10 , that's why I said they can apply to visit him. They have a young family so will they stay separated because their PD never reach.
Many folks are in limbo in the US getting their hopes up thinking the bold is in play.Yeah, it is advised F4 especially shouldn't seek visit visa or other non-immigrant visa and hope to adjust as it will be hard to hang out the whole time. Most IRs and CR1s and those on ESTA (okay if staying-up wasn't pre-planned) stay put to adjust status and state dept frown on this and deny B1/B2 primarily because they jump line. Although, the latter creates the terrible wait-times. Overall, don't get your hopes up when you have an on-going petition.
Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by aestake: 7:32pm On Oct 03, 2023
Taal17:

Did you indicate that you've been filed for? There's usually a place where it asks if anyone filed immigrant visa for you..the answer should be filled yes. Visit visa application is based on showing you don't have immigrant intent that's what you focus on showing home ties here in Nigeria. Travel during vacation or school holiday time and do short trips 2+3weeks.

Wait out in the US for what? The wait is already 10years plus na , you can not work legally , no ssn , no state tuition etc.so staying adds no advantage to you if you're already on a 6 -18 yr wait.

Exceptions are like spouse or minor children category because they can easily move to IR which has no cap
Once he filed or added them on an immigrant application, the immigrant intent bell has been rung. You can't unring it and getting visit visa is lowered considerably.
Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by lily156: 10:10pm On Oct 03, 2023
You fall within the 10%. Nobody said it was impossible.
However, anyone can also fall within the 10% so people with a pending IV case shouldn't be discouraged from applying for other visa categories.

Taal17:

You can't jump the line with visit visa F1 to F4 category, you will still go back to your country to do the consular processing. The years of waiting is already between 6-18yrs in our part of the world.

Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by lonikit: 11:03pm On Oct 03, 2023
zed7:

If your brother applied last year, add another 19 years wait. Imagine adding 19 years to your age. If you're ambitious and focused, you'd have achieved so much by then.

My wife and kids used to go to the US for holidays, however, since I added them to my application, they've been refused a B1/B2 visa. I don't know if it's because they now have a pending immigration filing. Some people say it doesn't matter if you've been filed for that you can still visit but I seriously doubt that, the American's are not stupid. You could easily travel and go and wait out the process in the US.

Sometimes it looks like this thing has become a hindrance, as my family and I can't visit the US. We've had to try other places for family visit. That is the 'curse' of an immigrant visa application for me.
no, it cannot be up to 20years. 13 to 15 maximum. I am from Nigeria not Philippines or mexico or india
Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by aestake: 11:31pm On Oct 03, 2023
lonikit:
no, it cannot be up to 20years. 13 to 15 maximum. I am from Nigeria not Philippines or mexico or india
a pal from nigeria was filed for...since 2007. dq YES and interview date NO.

1 Like

Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by zed7: 8:31am On Oct 04, 2023
Taal17:

Refusal was once and yes, I filled yes in the immigrant section. I just felt it's the application that caused it, though it happened during Trump era where refusal was rampant.
I may try again though, with what you've just explained.
Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by zed7: 8:36am On Oct 04, 2023
lonikit:
Who told you so? My filing was approved in Jan 2013, that's 10 years ago. Visa bulletin shows priority date for 2008. Even if it moves every month which is impossible, that's another 5 years to go.

With the way things are now, prepare for a 20 year wait from the time your application is approved. Mine will be a retirement plan if I'm still interested by then. In another 10 years, I wouldn't be too far off from retirement.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by zed7: 8:40am On Oct 04, 2023
aestake:

Once he filed or added them on an immigrant application, the immigrant intent bell has been rung. You can't unring it and getting visit visa is lowered considerably.
My thoughts too, however, the other guy said he got multiple times during the wait. I'd give it a shot too.
Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by lonikit: 2:03pm On Oct 04, 2023
zed7:

Who told you so? My filing was approved in Jan 2013, that's 10 years ago. Visa bulletin shows priority date for 2008. Even if it moves every month which is impossible, that's another 5 years to go.

With the way things are now, prepare for a 20 year wait from the time your application is approved. Mine will be a retirement plan if I'm still interested by then. In another 10 years, I wouldn't be too far off from retirement.

No sir. You calculate from your PD not approval date. And concerning movement it depends on availability of visa. It can move up drastically. Backlogs are being cleared. I maintain that it can't be 20 years.

Note that If your case if current but being delayed by ur embassy, I think you can expedite. Or you transfer your case.
Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by zed7: 3:10pm On Oct 04, 2023
lonikit:

No sir. You calculate from your PD not approval date. And concerning movement it depends on availability of visa. It can move up drastically. Backlogs are being cleared. I maintain that it can't be 20 years.

Note that If your case if current but being delayed by ur embassy, I think you can expedite. Or you transfer your case.
Priority date, approval date or whatever you call it. My priority date is Jan 2013. Anyway, whatever works for you is fine.
Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by aestake: 4:00pm On Oct 04, 2023
zed7:

My thoughts too, however, the other guy said he got multiple times during the wait. I'd give it a shot too.
This is discretionary. Give it a shot and don't hang up on it.
Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by bfn1: 5:26pm On Oct 04, 2023
aestake:
a pal from nigeria was filed for...since 2007. dq YES and interview date NO.
This is exactly my story (F4 category). It's been 16 years & I'm still waiting.
I advise people that it's best not to put any mind to it & just continue living life.

4 Likes

Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by bfn1: 5:30pm On Oct 04, 2023
lonikit:
Bro, 17 - 20 years for F4 is a big possibility. Take anything short of that to be a miracle.
And yes, I believe in miracles.

3 Likes

Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by Besavednow: 8:44pm On Oct 04, 2023
I am really happy the forum has been active. I have another question my oldest child and my middle son application where filed separately and we had my youngest recently. And she is yet to be featured on the application. Should I wait till others are approved or I should fill a separate form i-130.

I was once F4. I understand the pain in waiting. We should have all moved together but it's a long story.
Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by Nobody: 12:14pm On Oct 05, 2023
Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by Taal17: 2:14pm On Oct 05, 2023
Kemluv004:
Thanks for your response.
I previously applied for a Canadian visa where I included my husband in the application that's one. We haven't been DQd, priority date 2008. My fear is the Canadian visa application I did that would reflect my hubby's details. To start filing the divorce process takes time and we have less than a year to submit documents to be DQd. My passport has been changed to hubby's name thinking of changing back to my maiden name but the process is slow with immigration.
Have done change of name on nin but still waiting for the previous passport in my husband's name to come out since April.

If your PD is 2008 then if you are F3 ie married daughter the current Oct bulletin has that as Mar09
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin/2024/visa-bulletin-for-october-2023.html
You should have received email to submit your documents for NVC processing since.. That means you shouldn't have any problem with your married status

Do you receive emails / mails about your case or your petitioner does.?
There's a link to check the status of your case, I'll try to find it. You'll need your LGS**** number

For reference I'll put this here too

FAMILY-SPONSORED PREFERENCES

First: (F1) Unmarried Sons and Daughters of U.S. Citizens:

A. (F2A) Spouses and Children of Permanent Residents: 77% of the overall second preference limitation, of which 75% are exempt from the per-country limit;

(F2B) Unmarried Sons and Daughters (21 years of age or older) of Permanent Residents: 23% of the overall second preference limitation.

(F3) Married Sons and Daughters of U.S. Citizens:

(F4) Brothers and Sisters of Adult U.S. Citizens:
Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by Taal17: 2:39pm On Oct 05, 2023
zed7:

Priority date, approval date or whatever you call it. My priority date is Jan 2013. Anyway, whatever works for you is fine.
Actually you are both right, it can up to 20years it can be far less.

The bulletin moves based .on different factors
There was a period for my case I thing 2017 where it literally moved 2-3months for that fiscal year. I was literally prepping to leave in 2018 . Then it slowed down to 2-4weeks movement. I left the matter
2019 randomly checked and I wasn't ready. I got the mail to prep docs, I even delayed like 3months cos I wasn't interested again. I had to talk to people to get advice.

But I remember one poster here Winneysometthing. Her case is long, she eventually ended up on F3. As at the time my F1 was up to submit docs...like a miracle her category jumped months in the bulletin and she was interviewed and by Aug or so of 2019 family was in the US. Just like that someone who thought she had one year plus to wait was done.
Whilst I who had more likelihood to leave before her as F1 didn't go till 2021 cos I got caught in COVID plus two Trump EOs.

Keep this process as backup option
Live your life
Check in once in awhile to know what's happening.
And once your case is up move and prep fast.

It's a journey not a destination.

All the best to everyone

4 Likes

Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by Taal17: 2:46pm On Oct 05, 2023
Besavednow:
I am really happy the forum has been active. I have another question my oldest child and my middle son application where filed separately and we had my youngest recently. And she is yet to be featured on the application. Should I wait till others are approved or I should fill a separate form i-130.

I was once F4. I understand the pain in waiting. We should have all moved together but it's a long story.
I would just file, it would be approved anyways
Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by Taal17: 2:56pm On Oct 05, 2023
General advice

Filing costs money o, getting DQ has a cost element o

If you can save in dollars in Nigeria do so

Ensure you have your birth certificates plus that of your kids.
Keep photos over the years of your family and of the petitioner

Get your original school certificates including post secondary. You might need them to evaluate certs

You might need cosponsor especially if you're F3 or F4. Your petitioner is the primary sponsor but if their income threshold is not enough to cover you and your family then you need a cosponsor. Preferably one who has not sponsored anyone else .
You can have multiple cosponsors but they all must fill the appropriate form and share their tax returns abi na W2.

Lastly pray for the good health and well-being of your petitioner. E get why

3 Likes

Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by zed7: 3:59pm On Oct 05, 2023
Kemluv004:
I previously applied for a Canadian visa where I included my husband in the application that's one. We haven't been DQd, priority date 2008. My fear is the Canadian visa application I did that would reflect my hubby's details. To start filing the divorce process takes time and we have less than a year to submit documents to be DQd. My passport has been changed to hubby's name thinking of changing back to my maiden name but the process is slow with immigration.
Have done change of name on nin but still waiting for the previous passport in my husband's name to come out since April.

Wow...All for the US? Divorce? Change of name? Denying being married etc? Is it that serious?
Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by lily156: 5:35pm On Oct 05, 2023
If your priority date is really 2008, then you have no worries. You're no longer F1 but F3 which is the married category and they should be in 2008 by now. Have you gotten any correspondence from NVC?

Kemluv004:

Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by Rayhanna: 6:19pm On Oct 06, 2023
Taal17:

Have you been DQ?
What's your PD?

As much as I understand the wait is long (trust me I personally know.) there are a few things to consider
Note that proving you are not married is more than just deleting marriage certificate. Also know that traditional marriage counts as marriage even if it doesn't have a certificate.

If you have other documents in your married name nko? Including previous passports and previous trips.

Has your 'hubby' ever applied for a visa and filled out spouse with your details and DOB.

Before you go for your interview you'll still fill DS260 form ..there you will put details of where you've lived in the past .

Immigrant interview is still an interview oh. I still had to bring out pictures with petitioner over long period of time. They asked of everyone in the picture.

If you have children with birth certificates with both parents names?

Then if you manage to scale this, when you get the visa you'll unlikely be able to remarry your husband/wife for another 2 years and more..because you'll file for him as an LPR and prove your relationship. You will now be the sponsor that has to have tax returns and income that meets the required level to file for a spouse

It's food for thought cos it can get complex.

The person that started this thread pretty16 also waited for over 10years had 3 kids with bf and told him so they did not marry. Even with that as at 1yr post arriving in the US she had not filed for father of her kids
Maybe she can share her timeline whenever she checks this thread

Was there a reason why she wasn’t able to file for her bf 1yr after? I’m also in the same dilemma that she why I’m asking. Kindly clarify if you know please.
Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by Taal17: 7:28pm On Oct 06, 2023
Rayhanna:

Was there a reason why she wasn’t able to file for her bf 1yr after? I’m also in the same dilemma that she why I’m asking. Kindly clarify if you know please.

Some of things I recall she mentioned are everyday realities
She just moved so she had to adjust, get certs apply for work.
She had 3kids, moved in with her mum who also worked so she was limited in work hours she could do cos of the kids
Time! To come back to Nigeria you'd need leave days which would mean scheduling who who would take care of kids whilst she away.

My thoughts as well
US is notorious for being stingy with leaves it's typically 10-15 days a year. So many people who have to make trips to Nigeria wait till they can accumulate enough leave days . That can take two years for most
Money!; Shed be the primary sponsor so she'd need to prove the income threshold to file for him.

If you add the above with the fact that in filing the new spouse becomes F2A and goes through the same wait as it is in Nigeria consulate. Filing-Petition approval-NVC-DQ-Interview, then these are realities

1 Like

Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by Taal17: 7:30pm On Oct 06, 2023
lily156:
If your priority date is really 2008, then you have no worries. You're no longer F1 but F3 which is the married category and they should be in 2008 by now. Have you gotten any correspondence from NVC?

They have passed 2008 sef. It's 2009
Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by Rayhanna: 10:50pm On Oct 06, 2023
Taal17:

Some of things I recall she mentioned are everyday realities
She just moved so she had to adjust, get certs apply for work.
She had 3kids, moved in with her mum who also worked so she was limited in work hours she could do cos of the kids
Time! To come back to Nigeria you'd need leave days which would mean scheduling who who would take care of kids whilst she away.

My thoughts as well
US is notorious for being stingy with leaves it's typically 10-15 days a year. So many people who have to make trips to Nigeria wait till they can accumulate enough leave days . That can take two years for most
Money!; Shed be the primary sponsor so she'd need to prove the income threshold to file for him.

If you add the above with the fact that in filing the new spouse becomes F2A and goes through the same wait as it is in Nigeria consulate. Filing-Petition approval-NVC-DQ-Interview, then these are realities

These are really tough realities 🥺. The thought of the timing alone is stressing me out. Just like the op, i have three kids and we all live with my mum and sis. But, my bf is back in lag and we haven’t even officially gotten married. I need to come to lag, do the wedding and come back to file for him. And then the waiting begin… I’m hoping he’d apply for visit visa and hopefully he’s granted. That way he can also be visiting.

Do you think there are other options we can explore??
Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by Taal17: 11:02pm On Oct 06, 2023
Rayhanna:

These are really tough realities 🥺. The thought of the timing alone is stressing me out. Just like the op, i have three kids and we all live with my mum and sis. But, my bf is back in lag and we haven’t even officially gotten married. I need to come to lag, do the wedding and come back to file for him. And then the waiting begin… I’m hoping he’d apply for visit visa and hopefully he’s granted. That way he can also be visiting.

Do you think there are other options we can explore??

Applying for visit visa if he gets it all good whilst you wait. I don't know of any other option.
Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by Rayhanna: 11:41pm On Oct 06, 2023
Taal17:

Applying for visit visa if he gets it all good whilst you wait. I don't know of any other option.

Alright. Thanks for the timely response.👍🏾
Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by torrentfinder1: 6:48pm On Oct 11, 2023
Taal17:

They have passed 2008 sef. It's 2009

My PD is 2008 and currently DQ. No interview yet. Has anyone gotten interview date lately?
Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by mrskiffa: 6:26am On Oct 15, 2023
Hello everyone,

I hope you're all doing well. I'm reaching out to this community seeking guidance and insights on a challenging situation I've encountered in my immigration journey.

My journey began with the filing of an I-360 petition (widower petition) after the passing of my American citizen husband shortly after our marriage. After patiently navigating through the processing stages and the challenges posed by COVID-19 in 2021, my I-360 petition reached the embassy interview stage.

During the embassy interview, I was asked a few questions, followed by several weeks of administrative processing. To my surprise, the U.S. Embassy returned my I-360 petition to USCIS, suggesting a possible revocation. Now, USCIS has completed its review and sent the petition back to the National Visa Center (NVC) for further visa processing.

I find myself uncertain about what to expect in this context, especially with an I-360 petition. I would greatly appreciate any advice or insights from those who have experienced a similar situation. What are the typical next steps in the visa application process for I-360 petitions after USCIS returns the petition to NVC? Are there any specific documents or actions I should be prepared for, particularly in the case of an I-360 petition?

Your insights and experiences are immensely valuable to me as I navigate this challenging situation. Thank you in advance for your assistance and support.

Best regards,
Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by Oflaylay: 10:21am On Oct 17, 2023
bivoprad:
Hello everyone,
If I am to file for my sibling as a US citizen, please, how long will it take for her to receive her immigrant visa?
20years

(1) (2) (3) ... (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) (174) (175) ... (179) (Reply)

Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences / DV 2014 Winners Meet Here / Main Reasons Many Are Refused Visas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.