Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,167 members, 7,829,171 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:56 PM

At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. - Travel (175) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. (382579 Views)

Nvc Processing / Case Complete At NVC For IR1/CR1 Immigrant Visa / Photo Of Overspeeding Car That Flew Into The 2nd Floor Of A Building In The U.S (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (172) (173) (174) (175) (176) (177) (178) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by kennyfem(m): 7:17am On Dec 15, 2023
lily156:
If they have any reason to question paternity, they might request a DNA test. If there are no issues, they won't.

thank you
Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by internationalman(m): 11:39am On Dec 15, 2023
lily156:
F24 is the same as F2B which means according to the visa bulletin, you're current and there's a visa available for you.
However, Nigeria still has a long backlog for the F categories which is frustrating. If you lived in another country, you'd have gotten your visa a year ago.
When did you become documentarily qualified at NVC?

I was DQ 30-Jun-2022.

I don't have any problem with the delay, it's my mom that's worried that they might have accidentally skipped me and my brother's case number
Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by joschars(m): 6:41am On Dec 25, 2023
Good morning folks

Pls what will happen if petitioner (mother) dies during the process of immigrant visa
Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by lily156: 8:45am On Dec 25, 2023
There's a process called humanitarian reinstatement. Look it up. But the petition must have passed the USCIS stage that is the I-130 must have been approved.

joschars:
Good morning folks

Pls what will happen if petitioner (mother) dies during the process of immigrant visa
Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by Oflaylay: 6:34am On Dec 29, 2023
Hello guys, I would be so glad if someone could provide an answer to my question. I filed for my wife and kids when I was a green card holder and my case has been DQ since May 2022 and presently at NVC awaiting interview. Recently, I became a US citizen, and I know the IR category is faster than the F-based category, is there a way I can change my case status from F-category to IR or inform NVC about my new citizenship status and ask them to adjust my case accordingly? maybe that might make the interview date come faster. If that is possible, please how do I go about it?
Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by lily156: 4:28am On Dec 30, 2023
Send your naturalization certificate to NVC. I think Nigeria is currently interviewing Feb 2023 DQ people (IR category). So as soon as you upgrade, your wife should be getting called for her interview with the next batch.
Go to NVC Public Inquiry Form at https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/ask-nvc.html
Fill in the required info and attach your certificate of naturalization as a pdf or jpg file.
As for your kids, even if they are minors (<21 and unmarried), they will no longer be derivatives under your wife. You will have to file new petitions for them unless you already have separate petitions for them.

Oflaylay:
Hello guys, I would be so glad if someone could provide an answer to my question. I filed for my wife and kids when I was a green card holder and my case has been DQ since May 2022 and presently at NVC awaiting interview. Recently, I became a US citizen, and I know the IR category is faster than the F-based category, is there a way I can change my case status from F-category to IR or inform NVC about my new citizenship status and ask them to adjust my case accordingly? maybe that might make the interview date come faster. If that is possible, please how do I go about it?

1 Like

Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by Oflaylay: 7:44am On Dec 30, 2023
lily156:
Send your naturalization certificate to NVC. I think Nigeria is currently interviewing Feb 2023 DQ people (IR category). So as soon as you upgrade, your wife should be getting called for her interview with the next batch.
Go to NVC Public Inquiry Form at https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/ask-nvc.html
Fill in the required info and attach your certificate of naturalization as a pdf or jpg file.
As for your kids, even if they are minors (<21 and unmarried), they will no longer be derivatives under your wife. You will have to file new petitions for them unless you already have separate petitions for them.

Thank you so much Lily for this insight. So NVC has upgraded my case status to IR1 and removed my derivatives. Please do you think this is a good idea because they asked me to file a new individual visa petition for my kids. I’m afraid filing a new petition for them might take time to get approval from USCIS. I don’t want a situation whereby my wife would have gotten her visa and be waiting for my kids to be scheduled for interview.Do you think they will be able to migrate together with my wife. I’m seriously confused here. Please advise

1 Like

Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by aestake: 3:40pm On Dec 30, 2023
Oflaylay:
Thank you so much Lily for this insight. So NVC has upgraded my case status to IR1 and removed my derivatives. Please do you think this is a good idea because they asked me to file a new individual visa petition for my kids. I’m afraid filing a new petition for them might take time to get approval from USCIS. I don’t want a situation whereby my wife would have gotten her visa and be waiting for my kids to be scheduled for interview.Do you think they will be able to migrate together with my wife. I’m seriously confused here. Please advise
That's what may happen. You must file i130 for each child and the process moves naturally.

3 Likes

Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by lily156: 8:38am On Dec 31, 2023
At this point, I don't think you can go back to the previous category. I actually think this upgrade is going to be faster for you all in the long run. As a spouse of a GC holder, they were looking at 4-5 years from now, going by the current visa bulletin.
I confirmed that may 2023 DQ for Nigeria now have interview letter which means any day from now your wife should receive hers. As for your children, it should still be faster than F2B. Your wife can wait for like 5 months after receiving her visa, travel to the US then return to Nigeria if that's possible. But she can't be out of the US for more than 6 months.

Oflaylay:

2 Likes

Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by lily156: 8:48am On Dec 31, 2023
Were any of your kids born *after* you became a citizen?

Oflaylay:

1 Like

Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by lily156: 8:51am On Dec 31, 2023
If your wife is called for an interview, she can reschedule it.

Oflaylay:

2 Likes

Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by Oflaylay: 9:04am On Dec 31, 2023
Thank you Lily. For the previous category which was F41 or so, we were already DQ since May2022 waiting for interview letter before I became a Us citizen and requested for an upgrade. I never knew I cannot add derivatives under the IR category. As for my son, I already applied for CRBA for him so he’s going to get his US passport. My daughter do not qualify for CRBA because I have not lived up to 5years in US prior to her birth, so I have to file a fresh petition for her which I’m thinking might take time from filing to approval to NVC stage. Do you have an idea of how long it takes USCIS to approve IR petitions ?
lily156:
At this point, I don't think you can go back to the previous category. I actually think this upgrade is going to be faster for you all in the long run. As a spouse of a GC holder, they were looking at 4-5 years from now, going by the current visa bulletin.
I confirmed that may 2023 DQ for Nigeria now have interview letter which means any day from now your wife should receive hers. As for your children, it should still be faster than F2B. Your wife can wait for like 5 months after receiving her visa, travel to the US then return to Nigeria if that's possible. But she can't be out of the US for more than 6 months.

1 Like

Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by Oflaylay: 9:16am On Dec 31, 2023
lily156:
Were any of your kids born *after* you became a citizen?

Yes my son. I have already applied for CRBA for him but my daughter which is almost 4years does not qualify because I haven’t lived up to 5years in US prior to her birth and filing a fresh petition under IR category will take time. I’m seriously confused on what to do right now.

1 Like

Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by Donetyno: 10:21am On Dec 31, 2023
Please who knows the current average processing time for I-130 petition for immediate relatives, from filing to approval? if you recently filed, how long did it take? Tnx

1 Like

Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by aestake: 4:39pm On Dec 31, 2023
lily156:

She can be out of the US for more than 6months with re-entry permit.

1 Like

Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by aestake: 4:41pm On Dec 31, 2023
Oflaylay:
Yes my son. I have already applied for CRBA for him but my daughter which is almost 4years does not qualify because I haven’t lived up to 5years in US prior to her birth and filing a fresh petition under IR category will take time. I’m seriously confused on what to do right now.
Your wife should honor her interview, get to the US and after getting the green card, go back to Nigeria with a re-entry permit (2yrs)..like that.

3 Likes

Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by Oflaylay: 7:55pm On Dec 31, 2023
aestake:

Your wife should honor her interview, get to the US and after getting the green card, go back to Nigeria with a re-entry permit (2yrs)..like that.
that means she will have to stay till she receive her green card biometrics appointment before she can go back to Naija? Or can she file for reentry without the green card? Na wa o!
Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by aestake: 8:07pm On Dec 31, 2023
Oflaylay:
that means she will have to stay till she receive her green card biometrics appointment before she can go back to Naija? Or can she file for reentry without the green card? Na wa o!
She should leave the US with her green card and re-entry permit. You did not study the process very well nor used an immigration agent, so don't make additional mess o. Many people delay applying the N400 so that all the family members will come as a unit.

1 Like

Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by Oflaylay: 11:04pm On Dec 31, 2023
aestake:

She should leave the US with her green card and re-entry permit. You did not study the process very well nor used an immigration agent, so don't make additional mess o. Many people delay applying the N400 so that all the family members will come as a unit.
I am seriously confused on what to do right now. Maybe I will have to email NVC to restore my case to the previous state it was. This doesn’t make sense at all.
Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by aestake: 12:03am On Jan 01
Oflaylay:
I am seriously confused on what to do right now. Maybe I will have to email NVC to restore my case to the previous state it was. This doesn’t make sense at all.
Let us know how that goes.I know F2B can be switched to F1 because of a petitioner becoming a US citizen and the beneficiary (child) asking to be treated as F2B if this category moves faster.
Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by lily156: 8:10am On Jan 03
Don't let anyone confuse you. It's not as difficult a problem as you are seeing it. Take a deep breath and relax.
One thing you should keep in mind is that if you had remained as a green card holder, it would take a long time because of the retrogression with spouses of GC holders.
Despite what seems like a problem now, this will end up being faster.
The only hurdle you have to cross now is that everyone won't get their visas at the same time.
File for your daughter ASAP. Go on reddit and you'll see I-130 being approved in 4,5 months. You won't know how long it will take until you start the process.
You have the option to delay your wife's interview until your child's I130 and NVC processes are complete. That's option 1.
Option 2 is your wife gets her green card. She has to travel to the US before the expiry of her medical exam - usually about 6 months. So she can stay in NG about 5 months after getting her immigrant visa.
After arriving the US, she can leave the following day if she wants to. Her visa stamp (after the initial entry) serves as her GC for one year and allows her to go in and out just the same as if she has the physical green card. If she travels to NG, she has the option of returning to the US before 6 months. OR she can stay in NG longer than 6 months as long as she applies for a reentry permit before she leaves the US (she has to do biometrics for it and it can take 1-3 months) .
Many many people have gone through this same process and it's not the end of the world. Keep in mind that it's still going to be faster in the long run than remaining in the green card category.

Oflaylay:

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by lily156: 8:15am On Jan 03
No. You're mixing things up. First of all, there is no biometrics appointment for her green card. She's a permanent resident starting from the day she steps into the US. As long as you pay the GC fee, the plastic card will be mailed automatically to the address she fills in her DS-260.
However, the stamped immigrant visa in her passport serves as a GC for a year from the date of entry.
She can file for reentry with the visa on her passport - she doesn't need the GC if it hasn't arrived.
This doesn't apply if she won't be staying outside the US for more than 6 months.

Oflaylay:

1 Like

Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by Mikkyjuicy1234: 9:56am On Jan 04
Pls house! My priority date is Feb 2018, F1 category how soon would I be current to start submitting documents. Tnx
Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by Oflaylay: 10:41am On Jan 04
Wow! wow! I am so so impressed with your response and analytical skill. Actually, I have gone ahead to file for my daughter. As for my son, I have applied for eCRBA for him and I am compiling the documents to send to my wife to take to the interview. Thank you so much for your input.
lily156:
Don't let anyone confuse you. It's not as difficult a problem as you are seeing it. Take a deep breath and relax.
One thing you should keep in mind is that if you had remained as a green card holder, it would take a long time because of the retrogression with spouses of GC holders.
Despite what seems like a problem now, this will end up being faster.
The only hurdle you have to cross now is that everyone won't get their visas at the same time.
File for your daughter ASAP. Go on reddit and you'll see I-130 being approved in 4,5 months. You won't know how long it will take until you start the process.
You have the option to delay your wife's interview until your child's I130 and NVC processes are complete. That's option 1.
Option 2 is your wife gets her green card. She has to travel to the US before the expiry of her medical exam - usually about 6 months. So she can stay in NG about 5 months after getting her GC.
After arriving the US, she can leave the following day if she wants to. Her visa stamp (after the initial entry) serves as her GC for one year and allows her to go in and out just the same as if she has the physical green card. If she returns to NG, she has the option of returning to the US before 6 months. OR she can stay in NG longer than 6 months as long as she applies for a reentry permit before she leaves (she has to do biometrics for it and it can take 1-3 months) .
Many many people have gone through this same process and it's not the end of the world. Keep in mind that it's still going to be faster in the long run than remaining in the green card category.

Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by aestake: 2:43pm On Jan 04
Mikkyjuicy1234:
Pls house! My priority date is Feb 2018, F1 category how soon would I be current to start submitting documents. Tnx
They are still treating those with pd of 1Sep2017 or earlier. You may still need one year to get to your turn to be current for documentation.
Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by Mikkyjuicy1234: 5:55pm On Jan 04
aestake:

They are still treating those with pd of 1Sep2017 or earlier. You may still need one year to get to your turn to be current for documentation.

Wow! With the date u mention! I thought that should be 5month to reach Feb 2018.
Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by aestake: 7:15pm On Jan 04
Mikkyjuicy1234:

Wow! With the date u mention! I thought that should be 5month to reach Feb 2018.
Yes but you don't know how they cut it off. One bulletin may have 2 weeks, the other 1 month and another no movement.
Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by Raraim: 4:50pm On Jan 05
Hello everyone, I am on the Family-based list F1, priority date June 2013, and documentarily completed since August 2021. Who has an idea when the immigrant visa interview may be scheduled, this wait is something else?

I get messages every 60 days per usual, I have emailed NVC on numerous occasions, and they have always insisted that it's based on a first-in, first-out basis.
Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by aestake: 5:09pm On Jan 05
Raraim:
Hello everyone, I am on the Family-based list F1, priority date June 2013, and documentarily completed since August 2021. Who has an idea when the immigrant visa interview may be scheduled, this wait is something else?

I get messages every 60 days per usual, I have emailed NVC on numerous occasions, and they have always insisted that it's based on a first-in, first-out basis.
They are even at 01 Jan 2015. Are you not current? Try to sue them.
Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by Raraim: 5:29pm On Jan 05
aestake:

They are even at 01 Jan 2015. Are you not current? Try to sue them.

By "01 jan 2015", do you mean priority date for the the F1 visa category?
Re: At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category. by aestake: 5:34pm On Jan 05

(1) (2) (3) ... (172) (173) (174) (175) (176) (177) (178) (Reply)

Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 23 / DV 2014 Winners Meet Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.