Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,514 members, 7,812,600 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:58 PM

Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo (17447 Views)

White Man And His Friends Posed With Masquerade In Isua Akoko Ondo State..photos / Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups That Make Up Akoko Ondo / Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by lawani: 9:59am On Dec 28, 2018
Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by blackpanthers: 2:23pm On Dec 29, 2018
KingOvoramwen1:

Keep dreaming clown..... Go and ask Akoko ppl where they came from lmao.

Even in Ekiti Edo's dey there

I am an Ikare boy and a pure Yoruba. We are from Ife

1 Like

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by blackpanthers: 2:24pm On Dec 29, 2018
You try.
Omo ikare ni mi

Omo Ikare mire

1 Like

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by babtoundey(m): 12:22am On Dec 30, 2018
I enjoyed reading through this thread, sincerely. Despite the fact that it is littered with insults and abuses by some tribal chauvinists it does not fall short in giving some tangible information on the concoction of the Geographical space of the Southern Nigeria. However, an ethnic group was mentioned by the OP at the introductory phase of the post but no effort was made by anybody to say anything at about this tribe.

The Ogori-magogo. My first knowledge of the existence of a tribe or space with this name came from the pages of News paper (The Graphics). That time I was serving in Lokoja, Kogi state and I think a preparation for the festival of the ogori people was ongoing. The first picture I saw sparked some me curiosity in me. Some of them dressed like Yoruba, yet they don't agree to being Yoruba. My curiosity was further hightened when I read through some of their names. Majority of them bear Yoruba names -the same name you see Oyo, egba, Ibadan and co bear. I went ahead to read about them but the little I could gather is that these people claimed to have migrated from Ife. I also gathered that the language they speak is a mixture of Yoruba and few Ebira language. If these people truly migrated from Ife, I feel they shouldn't be any less Yoruba than any other Yoruba group.

Please, anybody who knows anything about the OGORI people should share what he knows with me. Please I really want to know more about them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by Treasure17(m): 3:17pm On Oct 12, 2022
Hi 9jakool
I need your assistance if you understand Tapa language. All I need is a translation of a call I recorded.

1 Like

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by Ologbo147: 5:23pm On Oct 12, 2022
9jakool:

I might do a breakdown of Akoko Edo in the future, but these kind of things require a lot of time and research. The only Edoid speaking parts of Ondo state are Isua area, Ipe, Ekpemi, and Iyayu quaters in Idoani. Now let's make a distinction between Edo and Edoid. These four communities don't identify as Edo, because they are not Edo, but Edoid speaking groups. Your average Edo speaker from Benin cannot hold a conversation with these people because while their language are related, they are not the same. It is the same way Igalas aren't Yorubas despite speaking a Yoruboid language (that is not necessarily mutually intelligible to Yoruba). In fact, these particular four communities identify as Yoruba and trace their origin to Ile-Ife like most if not all the peoples in Akoko Ondo area. Most of their kings have Yoruba titles and claim descendant to Oduduwa.

Yes, good observation about the Okpe people. There are quite a number of Yoruba speaking communities in Edo state. It's a known fact that there are ethnic groups in Akoko Edo and Owan areas that claim origin from Ile-Ife, practice Yoruba culture and religion and speak Yoruba language in additional to their own distinct languages. There are also some monolingual Yoruba communities that speak a dialect of the Yoruba language such as Imeri, that was only ceded to Ondo state just a couple of years ago.

Aside from these communities in the Afemai area, there are a few Yoruba communities even found in the heart of Edoland. I'm talking specifically about the Northern parts of Ovia SouthWest and the Western border areas with Ondo state. The town of Usen, as well as the surrounding towns and villages are not native Edo speaker. Your average Edo speaker cannot hold a conversation with an Usen speaker since they speak a Yoruba language. To this day, the traditional ruler of Usen is referred to as Olu Awure.
Usens are bilingual and bicultural, they can, always try to paint the true picture on ground

2 Likes

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by Olu317(m): 5:46pm On Oct 13, 2022
Ologbo147:
Usens are bilingual and bicultural, they can, always try to paint the true picture on ground
Yes bilingual in nature due to the close proximity to Edoid group.

The same can be mentioned about Yorubas in Lokoja, Owode Egbado, Ilorin,Ado Odo, Pategi etc with bilingual attributes.

The Usen enclave was part the area Oranmiyan used as a seat of power or base to launch attack on Igodomigodo ancient city.

1 Like

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by Ologbo147: 7:31pm On Oct 13, 2022
Olu317:
Yes bilingual in nature due to the close proximity to Edoid group.

The same can be mentioned about Yorubas in Lokoja, Owode Egbado, Ilorin,Ado Odo, Pategi etc with bilingual attributes.

The Usen enclave was part the area Oranmiyan used as a seat of power or base to launch attack on Igodomigodo ancient city.
USens identity as Edo. They are one of the seventy four families in Benin.

I also Observed that Most Usens have last Bini surnames.

Bilingual due to their proximity to Edo towns, not Edoid, don't get it twisted.

You forgot where I mentioned that they are bicultural too, they Observed some certain customs and traditions like the rest Binis like 1) Igue festival, (2) they greet lahuihe to themselves and the other Binis.

Also they consider themselves Binis, (Edos) The other Edos consider them so too. that should separate them from those aforementioned towns or tribes you mentioned.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by Olu317(m): 2:48pm On Oct 14, 2022
Ologbo147:
USens identity as Edo. They are one of the seventy four families in Benin.

I also Observed that Most Usens have last Bini surnames.

Bilingual due to their proximity to Edo towns, not Edoid, don't get it twisted.

You forgot where I mentioned that they are bicultural too, they Observed some certain customs and traditions like the rest Binis like 1) Igue festival, (2) they greet lahuihe to themselves and the other Binis.

Also they consider themselves Binis, (Edos) The other Edos consider them so too. that should separate them from those aforementioned towns or tribes you mentioned.
Whatever you posit truthfully is based on your view even if there has been a lot of acculturation among these people.

Infact, Bini as a name is ancestrally Yoruba word for the populace the prince of Ufẹ met. These people fused with the Yoruba groups in this peculiar land hijacked by the same prince identified as Oranmiyan, whose descendants rules till date .

So calling Usen as Bini or having interrelationship with Bini still falls inline becauseBinis are hybrids set of people from different groups.

2 Likes

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by Ologbo147: 7:24pm On Oct 14, 2022
Olu317:
Whatever you posit truthfully is based on your view even if there has been a lot of acculturation among these people.

Infact, Bini as a name is ancestrally Yoruba word for the populace the prince of Ufẹ met. These people fused with the Yoruba groups in this peculiar land hijacked by the same prince identified as Oranmiyan, whose descendants rules till date .

So calling Usen as Bini or having interrelationship with Bini still falls inline becauseBinis are hybrids set of people from different groups.
the origin of Benin or where Benin came from is not my axe to grind on the matter today.

He talked about the fact that an Edo speaker cannot interact with an Usen speaker and I interjected and clearedthe lie that if there is anything that is oid in Usen today. It is their yoruba identity and it is in full glare for everyone who has been to Usen to see.

a man from Oza that is now a dialect of Edo would have no problem communicating with an Usen man. And I gave example of their bicultural traits too which solidified their Edoship

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by Olu317(m): 9:39pm On Oct 14, 2022
Ologbo147:
the origin of Benin or where Benin came from is not my axe to grind on the matter today.

He talked about the fact that an Edo speaker cannot interact with an Usen speaker and I interjected and clearedthe lie that if there is anything that is oid in Usen today. It is their yoruba identity and it is in full glare for everyone who has been to Usen to see.

a man from Oza that is now a dialect of Edo would have no problem communicating with an Usen man. And I gave example of their bicultural traits too which solidified their Edoship
Okay.
Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by SirNewtonNG: 10:32am On Oct 20, 2022
9jakool:
Here are some maps of the highlighted area that I created.

The thread and the map is great!! Can you do a breakdown of akoko edo groups too?

1 Like

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by 9jakool: 12:50pm On Oct 21, 2022
SirNewtonNG:

The thread and the map is great!! Can you do a breakdown of akoko edo groups too?

Maybe in the future when I get some time.

2 Likes

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by AutomaticMotors: 1:43pm On Oct 21, 2022
KingOvoramwen1:
How Emir Of Ilorin, Kwara Governor And Saraki Have Oppressed Oba Of Jebba Since 2003

He may be a monarch, but Alhaji Abdulkabir Alabi Adebara, the Oba of Jebba in Moro Local Government Area of Kwara State, is treated with contempt by the Emir of Ilorin, Alhaji Ibrahim Kolapo Sulu-Gambari.
BY SAHARAREPORTERS, NEW YORKJUL 20, 2016

He may be a monarch, but Alhaji Abdulkabir Alabi Adebara, the Oba of Jebba in Moro Local Government Area of Kwara State, is treated with contempt by the Emir of Ilorin, Alhaji Ibrahim Kolapo Sulu-Gambari.

The Emir, actively abetted by the state government of Governor Abdulfattah Ahmed and his godfather, Bukola Saraki, the Nigerian Senate President, has refused to recognise Adebara as the Oba of Jebba. And for 11 years, beginning from the time Saraki became governor, the state government did not pay Adebara his entitlements. The Emir continues to claim that Jebba is under the Ilorin Emirate despite a 1997 court ruling (in suit KWS/231/89) stating otherwise.

In October 2014, the Afenifere Renewal Group (ARG), a Yoruba socio-cultural group, drew attention to the ill-treatment of Adebara, notably marked by the state government's studious refusal to recognise him a third class traditional ruler even after two courts had affirmed his status.

“Six monarchs from Asa, Moro and Ilorin East Local Government Areas – Ohoro of Shao, Oba of Jebba, Alapado of Apado, Baale of Afon, Dado of Okeso, and Magaji Aare of Ilorin – submitted memoranda for the exercise, but none was deemed qualified even though they all met the criteria set out in the advertisement,” the organisation said.

At the Jebba Muslim praying ground on July 6, 2016, Oba Adebara was attacked after the Eid-el-Fitr prayers in a disturbance that resulted in the death of three persons and injuries to 12 others. The attack was reportedly sponsored by members of Okedare family, who want one of them to be Oba of the town. Among the Okedares, who are loyal to the state government and the Emir of Ilorin, are Matthew Okedare, Deputy Speaker of the Kwara State House of Assembly; Simon Okedare, Clerk of the Assembly; and Kayode Okedare, the Principal of Government Secondary School, Jebba.

Adebara's unfortunate situation persists despite the fact that suits filed by the state government in various courts against his claim to the Jebba stool have been decided in his favor.

Adebara became the Oba of Jebba in 2003 and was given a letter of appointment, which categorised him as a "Third Class" traditional ruler, by Governor Alhaji Mohammed Lawal (now late), whose tenure as governor was about ending and was later succeeded by Saraki.

Adebara's ordeal began a few months into Saraki's first term of office when the state government ordered that he should no longer be paid his entitlements because Jebba was yet to have a traditional ruler.

He was subsequently arrested and detained at Okekura Prison for 19 days on criminal charges. He was later released on bail.

Shortly after, the state government dragged Adebara before a Chief Magistrate's Court, alleging that he was parading himself illegally as Oba in violation of both the state and local government orders as well as well as giving evidence in a suit before a High Court as the traditional ruler of Jebba when he knew that his action contravened the "Chiefs Appointment Deposition Law and the Penal Code." Adebara, a retired civil servant, pleaded not guilty to the charges, affirming in his examination-in-chief that, "I am presently the Oba of Jebba and I became monarch since May 16th 2003, having succeeded the deceased Oba Ahmadu Adebara."

Adebara's counsel, Joseph Bamigboye, successfully contested the jurisdiction of the magistrate's court to entertain the matter, as it was criminal in nature.

The matter (Suit No. KWS/2c/2006, The State Vs Alhaji AbdulKadir) then moved to the state High Court, where, SaharaReporters learnt, two judges were forced to withdraw from the case on account of pressure from the Emir of Ilorin, supported by the state government.

Before the third judge, Justice Hannah Ajayi, the state counsel, Mrs. FB Ishola, called four witnesses, while Adebara called two. Ishola told the court that all the prosecution required was to prove that Adebara paraded himself as a monarch in violation of government order. She averred that Adebara kept on parading himself as such despite a letter from the Ministry of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, dated November 3, 2003, instructing him to stop doing so and revert to the status quo. She further submitted that Adebara failed to prove that he was appointed by kingmakers, saying the town had no kingmakers as claimed by the four prosecution witnesses.

Ishola maintained that Adebara's refusal to revert to the status quo made him criminally liable for advertising himself as what he is not. Ishola similarly argued that the prosecution had successfully established a case of an "illegal parade" as a monarch against Adebara and urged the court convict him as charged.

In Adebara's defence, his counsel submitted that the letter the Ministry of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs claimed to have written was not addressed to any person or stool in particularly, arguing that its content was imprecise.

For the prosecution to show that the letter was addressed to Adebara, the counsel added, it must prove, among other things, that his appointment as Oba of Jebba in 2003 did not comply with the Chiefs Appointment and Deposition Law of 1963. He further submitted that no evidence had been tendered before the court showing the provision of the Chiefs Appointment and Deposition Law of 1963 that was breached by Adebara's traditional and governmental appointment. The counsel also told the court that the prosecution failed to adduce any evidence to suggest that Adebara did not take an oath of office upon his appointment as is required by law. Adebara's lawyer then proceeded to punch holes in the prosecution's claim that the Oba's appointment provoked huge protests in the town, arguing that the Jebba community, including 33 surrounding villages under it, expressed massive support for the appointment. "There was no challenge to the appointment of the accused within the ruling house and there was no acknowledged petition to the Governor over the appointment and that there was no lawsuit against the appointment," said Bamgboye.

The counsel further argued that government's appointment and grading under the Chiefs Appointment and Deposition Law were strictly for the government recognition of the appointment, adding that "the purported government withdrawal of appointment and grading will only withdraw the recognition under the referred law, but cannot withdraw the traditional appointment.

"Where an Oba is not appointed by the government and is not graded, he is still an Oba within the Interpretation Act once he is accepted by his people and the kingmakers.

"Even where his appointment by government and grading are subsequently withdrawn, he remains an Oba under the Interpretation Act, but not under the Chiefs Appointment and Deposition Law.

"In effect, the purported letter, including the two, which emanated from the local government, do not and cannot act as instruments of deposition. The Oba still remains an Oba by virtue of his traditional appointment and is competent to parade himself as such," Adebara's lawyer told the court.

In her judgment, delivered in January 2014, Justice Ajayi said there were contradictions in the testimonies of the four prosecution witnesses, while those given by defence witnesses were found to have been consistent.

The judge decided that the prosecution had failed to prove that Adebara's appointment in 2003 contravened the Chiefs Appointment and Deposition Law of 1963. She subsequently pronounced a no-guilty verdict on Adebara, subsequently discharging and acquitting him of the two-count criminal charge and affirming his status as the legitimate traditional ruler of Jebba with third class status.

The court also ordered the state government to pay all the arrears of Adebara's entitlements for 11 years, which it has failed to comply with.

Dissatisfied, the state government headed to the Federal Appeal, which upheld the judgment of the lower court.

On Monday July 18 2016, the Kwara State Governor announced the elevation of a number of chiefs to "First Class" traditional rulers, one of those elevated includes the Olupako of Share who is Oba of the Governor's hometown. The Olupako of Share and the Oba of Jebba were both recognised as Third Class in 1983. The Governor still won't recognize and accord Oba Adebare of Jebba his entitlements and court ordered status.

Oya cry na cry cry cry hahaha

grin grin cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by SirNewtonNG: 9:29am On Jan 10, 2023
9jakool:

Maybe in the future when I get some time.

Please sir I've noticed forgotten o. I'm still very much expectant. I like the way you made the one for ondo clear. It'll be nice to know all the sub groups and groups that make up the akoko-edos

1 Like

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by Maberu: 9:32pm On Apr 08, 2023
KingOvoramwen1:
[s][/s]

Guy you are talking Rubbish ...Arrrant Nonsense I don dey look you since .... It is on record the Ado in ekiti stands for Edo as that is what Edo is called in eastern Yoruba land who were under the servitude of the empire..

You better sit down for one corner dey spread your mumu lies and don't come up spewing nonsense around

you are an ani-mal from ile-ibinu. nobody from my ekiti come from that your 2 inconsequential local govt tribe of ile-ibinu.
Eranko jatijati

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by UGBE634: 3:48am On Apr 09, 2023
Maberu:

you are an ani-mal from ile-ibinu. nobody from my ekiti come from that your 2 inconsequential local govt tribe of ile-ibinu.
Eranko jatijati
There is no king in your Yorubaland dead or alive whose immediate territory is bigger than that of the Oba of Benin. Edo south is like a state already. Landmass -4000sq miles equivalent to 10400kmsq in that seven local government area in Edo south

Population o- Voters registration figures shows there are at least 1.5 million people who has registered that are domiciled in Edo south.

The whole of Ekiti is sixteen local government with about 6000kmsq with about one million registered voters domiciled in her entire space.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by geosegun(m): 10:04pm On May 23, 2023
KingOvoramwen1:
[s][/s]

Guy you are talking Rubbish ...Arrrant Nonsense I don dey look you since .... It is on record the Ado in ekiti stands for Edo as that is what Edo is called in eastern Yoruba land who were under the servitude of the empire..

You better sit down for one corner dey spread your mumu lies and don't come up spewing nonsense around

Balderdash! All, you, fake revisionist should do humanity a favour. Please remain silent so as not to confused the upcoming generations of true course of events. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by Christistruth03: 10:42pm On May 23, 2023
KingOvoramwen1:
So In other words Edo owns part of Ondo!!

Benin Empire Forever

Akoko Edo is in Edo state

1 Like

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by Evboesi: 4:47pm On May 25, 2023
Christistruth03:

Akoko Edo is in Edo state
Akoko Edo is Edo by Origin, history and language, they mainly speak Yoruba however as a second language as a result of border with yorubas

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. / 5 Acts Of Retribution By Black People In Response To European Oppression / The Spirit Of Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.