Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,354 members, 7,826,386 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 01:37 PM

Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo (38114 Views)

Tax Defaulters In Nigeria: Obasanjo, Davido, Omisore, Others Top 19,000 List / Buratai Explains Why Army Created Female Corps / Coalition For Nigeria: Obasanjo Mobilizes 7 Governors, 20 Senators To Remove PMB (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by adanny01(m): 10:38pm On Aug 12, 2017
engineerboat:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/08/army-not-staged-coup-nigeria-obasanjo/

When Bubari became President, i realised that Obj was the best president Nigeria had in a long while.
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by edizremmedy(m): 11:30pm On Aug 12, 2017
wow! baba I respect u for this o. kudos to baba for life
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by davidif: 6:28am On Aug 13, 2017
realborn:

My last paragraph addresses your query.

If Abacha had killed him on the premise of a purported coup (whether true or untrue), he would have never been Nigeria's President at the advent of the 4th Republic. The motive he shared and Abacha's action would have been the same - Security Purposes.

It is wrong for Obj to self-service and revel on a decision that affected almost a 100 families having devoted several years to active Service. They bore absolutely no guilt as no evidence of wrongdoing exists. His inglorious account will only cause further unrest within the rank and file of the Military, and animosity towards the Civilian Government.

A wise decision worthy of emulation will be to cite the pertinence to retire these officers for security reasons but with adequate compensation for the remainder of their outstanding Service years. This motivates over the tale of having them turn-coat within 6 hours.

My views though!

Gbanm!! How could you just unceremoniously fire all this people who have given most of their lives to.the country. How classless.
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by davidif: 6:29am On Aug 13, 2017
Chisom460:
Nawa ooo see people here hailing him...
for stopping a problem that was never there...

This right there.

Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by davidif: 6:31am On Aug 13, 2017
realborn:
Summary:
The criteria for his action to retire affected officers-
1. If ever involved in a coup
2. If ever benefited from a coup.
3. If ever given political appointment where free food and perquisites were enjoyed.

Obj should have retired himself too. He was the beneficiary of the Dimka 1976 coup.

Obj is very narcissistic and self serving.

The tactics may have worked but it is inappropriate to indirectly vilify these affected officers who bore no guilt at the time they were unceremoniously retired!

As in?? How can you just throw out people who gave so much to their country and cast them.to the streets just like that?
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by davidif: 6:32am On Aug 13, 2017
NwaliE01:
That was how my father was given 6 hours to retire from military on September16th, 1999.
OBJ, thank you well well

Are you for realz?
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by davidif: 6:37am On Aug 13, 2017
realborn:

Lol@ your opening remark.

Please read my posts again. Why should Obj bask in the pains of others? It is on the heels of the criteria he chose to compulsorily retire these officers that elicited my reactions. He has no moral justification to publicly boast about terminating the career of others on the premise of suspicion because he is guilty of being a beneficiary of a. coup himself, and purportedly plotting a coup under Abacha, hence the "if Abacha had killed him" line, being the seemingly just treatment to coup plotters. I do not question the motive behind the action. I question his unrepentant demeanor.

It would have been more honorable if he used the opportunity to duly identify with the officers. Abruptly ending the career of an officer who has meritoriously served for 30 years within 6 hours can be psychologically damaging, boasting about it almost 2 decades after is humiliating.

Finally, true soldiers keep the affairs of the military covert. Obj is the only good politician in his own books. I will take him serious the day he shares his shortcomings and not that of others.

My 2 cents though...

Bros God bless you jare. Imagine kicking people out of there houses and boasting about it.
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by davidif: 6:43am On Aug 13, 2017
marafaMadegee:
That day would never be forgoten in the history of our lives, there were officers who were wrongly framed for retirement, OBJ had caused a great pain and havoc to my family, he destroyed father's career and he had never remain the same.He targeted the intelligent ones, mostly the officers with award in war tactics and precise from staff college jaji. I could remember a photo of dad exchanging a handshake while receiving an award from Obj in the year 2000 at staff college jaji. No one could ever tell he was gonna come for them later on.
He never thought of there families or legacies they created in the army, he swooped them off and went on to move a motion for his third term agenda, he was scared this 93 officers might stop him. He got it wrong, God will judge obj for such a heartless decision.

Wow!!! Sorry about that man. I knew there was much to this story. How many of you guys (millitary families) are on here. You guys need to create a counter thread.
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by davidif: 6:45am On Aug 13, 2017
allrightsir:

Stop glorifying OBJ, the only person in the country more devilish than him is IBB

he is a self seeking man always trying to rewrite history after the fact in his favour

he has had a hand in most of the coups of this country and he is a major part of the military decisions over the years that have resulted in us being a failed state..

Only a useless country continues to give people like him a voice and name institutions after them

Not only obj o. They even celebrate guys like Jonathan and his cronies.

1 Like

Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by davidif: 6:48am On Aug 13, 2017
marafaMadegee:
That day would never be forgoten in the history of our lives, there were officers who were wrongly framed for retirement, OBJ had caused a great pain and havoc to my family, he destroyed father's career and he had never remain the same.He targeted the intelligent ones, mostly the officers with award in war tactics and precise from staff college jaji. I could remember a photo of dad exchanging a handshake while receiving an award from Obj in the year 2000 at staff college jaji. No one could ever tell he was gonna come for them later on.
He never thought of there families or legacies they created in the army, he swooped them off and went on to move a motion for his third term agenda, he was scared this 93 officers might stop him. He got it wrong, God will judge obj for such a heartless decision.

Bolustical, PDPGuy, edizremmedy, Iamzik, manikspears, mkoabiola, ajekpako, innosaint27, kindklemz, famagro, higgs, luluman, Jamace, NCP, Kamsiobi, Microbox, Burgerlomo
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 8:31am On Aug 13, 2017
mkoabiola:
U can't but love obj for his intelligence and crafty manner.

Waiting for fayose to criticise this statement

It is called native intelligence. Some nuts would've created a phantom coup to elliminate those souls with much callousness. Ejigbo plane crash where numerous cream of officers of the armed forces come to mind.
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 8:36am On Aug 13, 2017
realborn:
Summary:
The criteria for his action to retire affected officers-
1. If ever involved in a coup
2. If ever benefited from a coup.
3. If ever given political appointment where free food and perquisites were enjoyed.

Obj should have retired himself too. He was the beneficiary of the Dimka 1976 coup.

Obj is very narcissistic and self serving.

The tactics may have worked but it is inappropriate to indirectly vilify these affected officers who bore no guilt at the time they were unceremoniously retired!

But better than getting rid of them in a orchestrated phantom coup, surely ?
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 8:38am On Aug 13, 2017
Max24:
Hate him or like him, Obasanjo remains the most effective President Nigeria ever had. Highly intelligent. Even bubu still consults him from London.

Yet he eats amala and ewedu. Native intelligence is a flower that does not grow in some peoples' garden.
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by manikspears: 6:22pm On Aug 16, 2017
davidif:

Bolustical, PDPGuy, edizremmedy, Iamzik, manikspears, mkoabiola, ajekpako, innosaint27, kindklemz, famagro, higgs, luluman, Jamace, NCP, Kamsiobi, Microbox, Burgerlomo

So sorry am just replying, I've been very busy.

To the writer: am very sorry for your dad's untimely retirement ,but if you know the military very well you should know noone can be underestimated, the first republic suffered it.I know what am about to say may not sound good to you but the fact that your dad is intelligent and a very good tactician makes him a great threat, you can't plan a coup without such qualities. Sorry but for some reasons desperate times require desperate measures.

1 Like

Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by marafaMadegee(m): 10:10pm On Aug 16, 2017
[quote author=manikspears post=59538743]

So sorry am just replying, I've been very busy.

To the writer: am very sorry for your dad's untimely retirement ,but if you know the military very well you should know noone can be underestimated, the first republic suffered it.I know what am about to say may not sound good to you but the fact that your dad is intelligent and a very good tactician makes him a great threat, you can't plan a coup without such qualities. Sorry but for some reasons desperate times require desperate measures. [/quote
Thanks, I get your point, we had to accept such in good faith, thats why the NA today isn't as good as it used to be back then.All the great officers have been condemned to retirement living the average and weak ones to stir the affairs of the N.A though there are few good ones left.
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by manikspears: 7:18am On Aug 17, 2017
[quote author=marafaMadegee post=59545432][/quote]

The horror of coup caused people to make certain decisions, but it won't be bad if the NA consult or recruit veterans who are more experienced in warfare. That is one issue we have in Nigeria, we are never ready to listen to wisdom.once a soldier will always be a soldier if this was to be in USA all their veterans would be on deck by now.

1 Like

Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by kamsiobi: 1:57pm On Apr 25, 2020
[quote author=tuniski post=59394433]
That is one legacy of OBJ that can never be discarded. He stabilized our democracy![/q

Yes my brother he try
Re: Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo by orisa37: 5:57pm On Apr 25, 2020
THE LABOURS OF OUR HEROES PAST AND OF YOURS IN PARTICULAR SHALL NEVER BE IN VAIN. YOU ARE ODUDUWA NO3 AFTER AWOLOWO NO2 OF YORUBA LAND. MAY GOD BLESS YOU AND KEEP YOU FOR YORUBA LAND, NIGERIA, AFRICA AND THE WORLD. IJN AMEN AMEN AMEN!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Soldier Celebrates His Birthday At The War Front In Desert (Photos) / 'I Knew When Gov. Amaechi Was Wearing A Cloth Everyday For 3 Days' - FFK / Saraki Vs IGP: Photos From President Buhari's Meeting With Senate Delegation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.