Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,213 members, 7,839,131 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:12 PM

Opinion Poll: Has ASUU Strike Yielded Any Positive Result? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Opinion Poll: Has ASUU Strike Yielded Any Positive Result? (12731 Views)

Has ASUU Called Off The Strike!!! / Has ASUU Called Off The Strike??? / Has ASUU Officially Declared An Indefinite Strike???. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Opinion Poll: Has ASUU Strike Yielded Any Positive Result? by sgtponzihater1(m): 9:40am On Aug 14, 2017
Rubbish!, ASUU strike is always about salary increase, they want to the most payed in the society. Lecturers are only the most payed in Nigeria, in the outside world its not so. Let them strike from this year to the next 3 years. I have no business with those clowns. Rubbish!
Re: Opinion Poll: Has ASUU Strike Yielded Any Positive Result? by Nobody: 9:48am On Aug 14, 2017
TheHistorian:
ASUU is a greedy body filled with Professors of no traceable impact to Nigeria's development.They are quick to send their wards to foreign institutions and will gladly take all possible measures to frustrate the common man's sons and daughters education here in Nigeria.

Arrant Nonsense.

MODIFIED

Little wonder the ASUU memo circulating is filled with humiliating,shameful and unpardonable English errors.

I can tell you, as the son of a serving university professor, that ASUU goes on strike because they don't want the alternative to happen....raised fees.

Back in 2013....when ASUU was forced to take a reduced deal from the FG...in other words 1 trillion instead of the 3 trillion that they asked for...many universities increased fees immediately....because they knew that funding was going to fall.

I am opposed to ASUU going on strike...and I know corruption dey university (from time immemorial)....but the fact is....either govt finds N1.5 trillion per annum in EXTRA funding yearly JUST for universities.....or we have to raise fees to meet costs, and improve facilities.

All those foreign universities we admire...their fees are as high as $22000 per annum (Duke Uni in the US can be as high as $58000 per anum)...and even those Nigerians who send their kids abroad have to borrow cash for the fees.Meanwhile...Nigerian universites manage on just $200 fees (sometimes less)....and zero extra funding...and budgets as low as $6million.(UCLA has a budget as high as $250million per annum).

9 Likes

Re: Opinion Poll: Has ASUU Strike Yielded Any Positive Result? by Nobody: 9:52am On Aug 14, 2017
sgtponzihater1:
Rubbish!, ASUU strike is always about salary increase, they want to the most payed in the society. Lecturers are only the most payed in Nigeria, in the outside world its not so. Let them strike from this year to the next 3 years. I have no business with those clowns. Rubbish!

It is also about facilities too....infact a whole chapter of the 2009 FG ASUU agreement is devoted to facilities funding.

Many of our lecturers have research ideas that they cannot perform in Nigeria because they don't have the facilities (One of my secondary school mates who is now a lecturer had to do his phd abroad because we did not have the facilities he needed in Nigeria...he is back home after a successful conclusion to his phd by the way).

Of course...they want nice salaries....but what is the use of paying a lecturer in Biology at say UNN 500000, and he still has to work in an ancient laboratory that was used by his forefathers.....
Re: Opinion Poll: Has ASUU Strike Yielded Any Positive Result? by pacesetter247(f): 9:52am On Aug 14, 2017
Bullying? Have you experienced sometimes that your once very loving adorable who loves going to school suddenly changes his attitude and becomes sad at the morning of another school day? You may have thought that the child is getting weary of new tasks in school? Or maybe he does not want to go to school. Sometimes, you may notice that your child asks for more candies and snacks much more than the usual candies or snacks he takes to school.
http://aboverubies.com.ng/bullying/
Re: Opinion Poll: Has ASUU Strike Yielded Any Positive Result? by pacesetter247(f): 9:52am On Aug 14, 2017
Hello Ladies, as part of Above Rubies NG's plan to help young women and ladies fulfill purpose, we are organizing Ladies Time Out on facebook. This is a virtual event with the theme: The Lady above Rubies, we will get to learn from experts in the field of relationship/marriage and Business. Admission is free. Kindly tag a Lady and share this post, it promises to be a life changing event. Simply click on this link to be a part. https://web.facebook.com/events/518039921881578/?ti=cl
Re: Opinion Poll: Has ASUU Strike Yielded Any Positive Result? by Nobody: 9:53am On Aug 14, 2017
sgtponzihater1:
Their job is hectic and they are underpaid. How can a professor that have taught for many years and written so many textbooks be earning 400k? imagine if someone wants to go into that line of work, the salary is not encouraging.

1 Like

Re: Opinion Poll: Has ASUU Strike Yielded Any Positive Result? by Quality20(m): 9:53am On Aug 14, 2017
well I think this time around FG should close down the universities and expel both students and staff from the hostels, quarters and offices if they dare go on strike .That way ASUU will directly feel the impact of their selfishness. ASUU is being political, whenever they see that there is an impending election they rear their ugly heads to somehow get attention.

1 Like

Re: Opinion Poll: Has ASUU Strike Yielded Any Positive Result? by TourismMan(m): 10:00am On Aug 14, 2017
TheHistorian:
ASUU is a greedy body filled with Professors of no traceable impact to Nigeria's development.They are quick to send their wards to foreign institutions and will gladly take all possible measures to frustrate the common man's sons and daughters education here in Nigeria.

Arrant Nonsense.

MODIFIED

Little wonder the ASUU memo circulating is filled with humiliating,shameful and unpardonable English errors.

Guy, forget the mistakes. Anybody can make mistakes. The point is, did you understand the message? Yes or No?
Re: Opinion Poll: Has ASUU Strike Yielded Any Positive Result? by Nobody: 10:01am On Aug 14, 2017
Quality20:
well I think this time around FG should close down the universities and expel both students and staff from the hostels, quarters and offices if they dare go on strike .That way ASUU will directly feel the impact of their selfishness. ASUU is being political, whenever they see that there is an impending election they rear their ugly heads to somehow get attention.
They are striking at the wrong time cos the president is not even in Nigeria, Osinbajo has so many matters on his plate.
Re: Opinion Poll: Has ASUU Strike Yielded Any Positive Result? by ogawisdom(m): 10:03am On Aug 14, 2017
TheHistorian:

Arrant Nonsense.

MODIFIED

English is jst a language nothing more so stop acting like a goat besides any error there is typographical
Re: Opinion Poll: Has ASUU Strike Yielded Any Positive Result? by khalhokage(m): 10:05am On Aug 14, 2017
9jakohai:

And in 2013...when ASUU went on strike demanding for the agreed upon N3 trillion of 2009....we Nigerians forced them to take a reduced deal from govt to the tune of N1 trillion over 5 years.

I bet you the same will happen if ASUU goes on strike again today. Govt will offer a reduced deal...which ASUU would be forced to take under public pressure from Nigerians.

And universities continue to suffer.

That's the truth, our education sector shouldn't still be struggling at this point, we should be better than this.
Re: Opinion Poll: Has ASUU Strike Yielded Any Positive Result? by Ichietome: 10:06am On Aug 14, 2017
Is this gonna affect admission process
Re: Opinion Poll: Has ASUU Strike Yielded Any Positive Result? by sgtponzihater1(m): 10:07am On Aug 14, 2017
Rorachy:
Their job is hectic and they are underpaid. How can a professor that have taught for many years and written so many textbooks be earning 400k? imagine if someone wants to go into that line of work, the salary is not encouraging.

400k is enough for him with the present Economy. All advanced countries pay professionals, technocrats and people in production more than lecturers. Google average pay of Professors in the UK or US and average pay of pharmacists or doctors or engineers and understand what i am talking about. Nigeria is a shame. The wing of these greedy lecturers need to be cut down period!
Re: Opinion Poll: Has ASUU Strike Yielded Any Positive Result? by Nobody: 10:10am On Aug 14, 2017
sgtponzihater1:

400k is enough for him with the present Economy. All advanced countries pay professionals, technocrats and people in production more than lecturers. Google average pay of Professors in the UK or US and average pay of pharmacists or doctors or engineers and understand what i am talking about. Nigeria is a shame. The wing of these greedy lecturers need to be cut down period!
How can 400k be enough? whereas most companies pay their workers that amount as entry level salary.

Talk more of a professor that have taught for like 20years.

Entry level salary of lecturer 1 is 120-150k which is small.

1 Like

Re: Opinion Poll: Has ASUU Strike Yielded Any Positive Result? by TheHistorian(m): 10:11am On Aug 14, 2017
9jakohai:

I can tell you, as the son of a serving university professor, that ASUU goes on strike because they don't want the alternative to happen....raised fees.

Back in 2013....when ASUU was forced to take a reduced deal from the FG...in other words 1 trillion instead of the 3 trillion that they asked for...many universities increased fees immediately....because they knew that funding was going to fall.

I am opposed to ASUU going on strike...and I know corruption dey university (from time immemorial)....but the fact is....either govt finds N1.5 trillion per annum in EXTRA funding yearly JUST for universities.....or we have to raise fees to meet costs, and improve facilities.

All those foreign universities we admire...their fees are as high as $22000 per annum (Duke Uni in the US can be as high as $58000 per anum)...and even those Nigerians who send their kids abroad have to borrow cash for the fees.Meanwhile...Nigerian universites manage on just $200 fees (sometimes less)....and zero extra funding...and budgets as low as $6million.(UCLA has a budget as high as $250million per annum).

You've written well.

But then,the meagre funds they are been given.How stupendous has it been dispensed??...Are we not In this same Nigeria during the Funaab VC EFCC trial,OAU and many others?

Truth is..ASUU should accept the current state of the country in good faith and device means of dousing this tension and anxiety in a subtle manner other than this bullsheet of a strike action.

And please...Don't bring me the bullcrap that ASUU is fighting for the masses(the common man and the less financially independent people).I can't argue against that all day!
Re: Opinion Poll: Has ASUU Strike Yielded Any Positive Result? by richidinho(m): 10:16am On Aug 14, 2017
TheHistorian:

Arrant Nonsense.

MODIFIED

same lecturers that taught you how to spell your name, you are so blind to see that it is a typist error
Re: Opinion Poll: Has ASUU Strike Yielded Any Positive Result? by sgtponzihater1(m): 10:17am On Aug 14, 2017
Rorachy:
How can 400k be enough? whereas most companies pay their workers that amount as entry level salary.

My guy compare it with other civil servants are paid. Kindly Google lecturers pay in all the advanced country you know and compare it with other professional pay, and see how their pay is less. In fact people become lecturers abroad out of passion to teach. But in Nigeria people become lecturers because of joblessness or the need to feel more superior in a disgruntled society. Imagine some people I left school with are still there pursuing masters, PhD for years in the hope of becoming lecturers. Then they see u and start asking, "do you know who I am?", rubbish

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Opinion Poll: Has ASUU Strike Yielded Any Positive Result? by somto10: 10:18am On Aug 14, 2017
later somebody go tel me education is the key key to Wia pls?

1 Like

Re: Opinion Poll: Has ASUU Strike Yielded Any Positive Result? by Nobody: 10:21am On Aug 14, 2017
sgtponzihater1:

My guy compare it with other civil servants are paid. Kindly Google lecturers pay in all the advanced country you know and compare it with other professional pay, and see how their pay is less. In fact people become lecturers abroad out of passion to teach. But in Nigeria people become lecturers because of joblessness or the need to feel more superior in a disgruntled society. Imagine some people I left school with are still there pursuing masters, PhD for years in the hope of becoming lecturers. Then they see u and start asking, "do you know who I am?", rubbish
lecturing job is not something you do out of joblessness, its passion and only the people that enjoy the job can reach the level of a professor, do you know what it takes for each and every one of them to get promoted?
Re: Opinion Poll: Has ASUU Strike Yielded Any Positive Result? by onunwa21(m): 10:23am On Aug 14, 2017
Wetin concern Buhari with ASUU
Re: Opinion Poll: Has ASUU Strike Yielded Any Positive Result? by opribo(m): 10:24am On Aug 14, 2017
ASUU had been a political tool used by politicians to destabilize any government of the day.

1 Like

Re: Opinion Poll: Has ASUU Strike Yielded Any Positive Result? by sgtponzihater1(m): 10:28am On Aug 14, 2017
Rorachy:
lecturing job is not something you do out of joblessness, its passion and only the people that enjoy the job can reach the level of a professor, do you know what it takes for each and every one of them to get promoted?

You probably are a lecturer, so u will always argue in their favour. But get this right, Our education sector is a gross anomaly of what it should be. U can't pay a professor of yoruba the same as a professor of law and expect to be taken seriously. I spoke to a professor of engineering in the US, and he told me professors are paid according to their field, I told him the Nigerian pattern and he was appalled. Even in the UK students call their professors very casually, but here they expect to be treated like Gods. My wish is for all those federal and state Universities to be closed for many years. None of my child will attend that shit hole called University, rubbish. Not like they are even trying to be the change they want to see. To get transcripts it will take crying, prayer, stress, bribing and crying. Sack all dem lecturers!

2 Likes

Re: Opinion Poll: Has ASUU Strike Yielded Any Positive Result? by Nobody: 10:32am On Aug 14, 2017
sgtponzihater1:

You probably are a lecturer, so u will always argue in their favour. But get this right, Our education sector is a gross anomaly of what it should be. U can't pay a professor of yoruba the same as a professor of law and expect to be taken seriously. I spoke to a professor of engineering in the US, and he told me professors are paid according to their field, I told him the Nigerian pattern and he was appalled. Even in the UK students call their professors very casually, but here they expect to be treated like Gods. My wish is for all those federal and state Universities to be closed for many years. None of my child will attend that shit hole called University, rubbish. Not like they are even trying to be the change they want to see. To get transcripts it will take crying, prayer, stress, bribing and crying. Sack all dem lecturers!
I'm not a lecturer, I'm actually a final year student aspiring to be one, you can't just condemn the universities in Nigeria which am sure you attended.
Re: Opinion Poll: Has ASUU Strike Yielded Any Positive Result? by sgtponzihater1(m): 10:44am On Aug 14, 2017
Rorachy:
I'm not a lecturer, I'm actually a final year student aspiring to be one, you can't just condemn the universities in Nigeria which am sure you attended.

Yes my first degree was in a Nigerian University, but 5years after that, I have tasted the both sides. I regret ever doing my first degree in a Nigerian University. The lecturers were proud, not well informed or updated, were inaccessible, I had tot it was the same the world over, but going ahead I found foreign lecturers where more informed and intelligent, yet humble and accessible. My children will never attend a Nigerian University, except they are the who choose to place such punishments on themselves.

2 Likes

Re: Opinion Poll: Has ASUU Strike Yielded Any Positive Result? by Nobody: 10:45am On Aug 14, 2017
sgtponzihater1:

Yes my first degree was in a Nigerian University, but 5years after that, I have tasted the both sides. I regret ever doing my first degree in a Nigerian University. The lecturers were proud, not well informed or updated, were inaccessible, I had tot it was the same the world over, but going ahead I found foreign lecturers where more informed and intelligent, yet humble and accessible. My children will never attend a Nigerian University, except they are the who choose to place such punishments on themselves.
OK no problem.
Re: Opinion Poll: Has ASUU Strike Yielded Any Positive Result? by proffemi: 10:50am On Aug 14, 2017
Has ASUU strike yielded positive results? Yes.

Do you have another question?

BTW, no need to guess, I am an academic in a Nigerian university.

1 Like

Re: Opinion Poll: Has ASUU Strike Yielded Any Positive Result? by PharmSam(m): 10:52am On Aug 14, 2017
Hardeysolution:
Let's give our stand and opinions on the looming strike awaiting us students.

ASUU strike

Lalasticlala
Re: Opinion Poll: Has ASUU Strike Yielded Any Positive Result? by PharmSam(m): 10:53am On Aug 14, 2017
Hardeysolution:
Let's give our stand and opinions on the looming strike awaiting us students.

ASUU strike

Lalasticlala

Check my attachments and push it FP

Re: Opinion Poll: Has ASUU Strike Yielded Any Positive Result? by mikolo80: 11:17am On Aug 14, 2017
9jakohai:
Well

1.Realistically speaking, govt cannot meet ASUU demands. Not in 2013...when oil prices were sky high and ASUU went on strike for the 3 trillion they were then promised, or even now...with the reduction to N1trillion (out of which 200BN has been paid).

2.The cold reality is that either fees go up.....or taxes go up so that we can have free education at all levels.Right now, universities need extra funding of at least N1.5 trillion (ASUU-FG 2009 estimates) to keep fees low, and to run properly.

My idea is that we make universities public-private....and fund primary and secondary schools as well as Techincal colleges from the govt purse.
We can't afford 100 universities you want to join 60000 secondary and primary schools

1 Like

Re: Opinion Poll: Has ASUU Strike Yielded Any Positive Result? by wristbangle: 11:21am On Aug 14, 2017
Rorachy:

There are benefits aside the basic 400k being paid to senior lecturers/professors which includes sponsorship, allowances, bonuses, etc which I feel is enough. If not for the fact that the value of our currency is bad and inflation rate is high, it is more than enough.
Re: Opinion Poll: Has ASUU Strike Yielded Any Positive Result? by proffemi: 11:23am On Aug 14, 2017
wristbangle:
There are benefits aside the basic 400k being paid to senior lecturers/professors which includes sponsorship, allowances, bonuses, etc which I feel is enough...

I'm not here to argue on the subject of N400k being "enough" remuneration for decades of work educating the best minds in the country. Funny enough, I am not even arguing for (or against!) the strike action either. I'm just here to correct the notion of some imaginary benefits.

For the vast majority of lecturers, there are no such additional benefits. Some clinicians get some additional remuneration working as honorary consultants in teaching hospitals, but these are a tiny fraction of academic staff. Apart from this, there are only so-called earned allowances, non-payment of which is at the very heart of this industrial action.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sonny Echono: FG Reached Agreement With ASUU Under Duress / Unn Supplimentry Form Out! / Yabatech Merit List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.