Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,972 members, 7,821,405 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:31 PM

ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu (26414 Views)

Why FG Is Insisting On IPPIS – ASUU / ‘FG Will Demolish Illegal Higher Institutions’ / ASUU Strike: Why I Support Industrial Action – Senator Shehu Sani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Nobody: 9:30am On Aug 16, 2017
obailala:
Who is the bigger curse?...

GEJ who got deceived by ASUU to make an impossible promise to ASUU but ended up not fulfilling a single part of the promise despite the fact that his government earned over 5 times more than Buhari and also spent twice the time in Aso Rock than Buhari... GEJ is a saint whom you miss but you think Buhari who inherited the N850billion debt from GEJ and is struggling to clear it in this time of low finances is the cursed one in this matter?

Some of these Jonathanians, e be like say una get migraine. undecided

Good comment....

But the Yaradua/GEJ govt was not necessarily decieved by ASUU.

The 3 trillion ASUU-FG agreed on in 2009 was agreed on the basis that it costs N300000 yearly to train a Nigerian student in university. Some experts like Chief Afe Babaloloa put the value higher at N600000 per annum....so ASUU was being fair.

And let's be frank...our universities need funding badly.,.....especially regarding facilities. (A secondary school classmate of mine who read a science based course had to do his PhD outside the country because his university did not have the facilities needed.)

So ASUU is being reasonable.

But the fact is...govt cannot fund universities like it used to. There are 50 of them, there are millions of Nigerian students (back in 1979, there were just 80000 students in 9 unis. ). GEJ in fairness to him realized that truth....and offered ASUU a reduced deal in 2013.

In my opinion....the only viable solution is fee increases.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by jahsharon: 9:32am On Aug 16, 2017
WhiteSoup:
Buhari is a curse to Nigeria.

I does not even knows why we the yoruba was deceive by the gambaris to vote the scam called APC.

We miss Goodluck Jonathan sad

This is 2009 agreement signed by Yar'Adua and Goatluck. The money that Goatluck should have used to pay for this outstanding has been shared by Diezani Alison-Maduekwe, puff-puff cheeked world bank house girl and voodoo economist called Okonjo-Iwealla, Dasuki Sambo, Mama Piss ($20 million in Skye Bank) and other members of the looting gang.
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by WhiteSoup: 9:33am On Aug 16, 2017
9jakohai:

Have a good morning.

(I've tried! grin)

You, Sarrki, PassingSHOT and Omenkalives will get tired defending a clueless ineffectual burantashi drunk cos defending him is like pouring water inside a basket.

Go and ask Beremx, demdem and Obiagelli
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Quality20(m): 9:36am On Aug 16, 2017
WhiteSoup:

I does not even knows why we the yoruba was deceive by the gambaris to vote the scam called APC.

See grammar abeg
y u no use pidgin if u no sabi grammar like yoba ppl
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Nobody: 9:38am On Aug 16, 2017
WhiteSoup:

You, Sarrki, PassingSHOT and Omenkalives will get tired defending a clueless ineffectual burantashi drunk cos defending him is like pouring water inside a basket.

Go and ask Beremx, demdem and Obiagelli

I'm apolitical.

Until I see a govt that gets us on the track to be a manufacturer rather than a consumer...then I will come out of my apolitical shell.

Sorry....but I can't be your entertainment for today.

Ta ra.
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Nobody: 9:39am On Aug 16, 2017
obailala:
Remain focused on the topic, we are talking of an ASUU debt of N850billion, an amount which was negotiated by GEJ but but which he failed to fulfil its payment.

Yes! govt is a continuum and the current government never mentioned anywhere that it isnt going to pay the debt. But no matter how you try to twist it, it is pure foolishness for anyone to think that the very much richer govt which incurred the debt was a saintly govt, while the much poorer govt which inherited and is struggling to clear the debt is a curse. That is the basis of my previous comment..Pure foolishness..
What makes believe that this govt is poorer?
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by bannar02: 9:39am On Aug 16, 2017
stupid thing, planing 369 billion for education out of budget of 8 Trillion isn't that too small, talking rushing of where to get the money from. if he like make he go steal am wetin concern me.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by ExInferis(m): 9:41am On Aug 16, 2017
WhiteSoup:

Wow.

See how you butchered english.

ASUU really needs to call off the strike so you can be re-educated.
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by poshbrave(m): 9:43am On Aug 16, 2017
MrHistorian:
Garba Shehu has spoken well.like seriously are u speaking base on ur political affiliation or base on ur religious me ethnic biases.... government ought to be progressive will Donald trump abandon d education sector of the US becos it was not his administration that set up some of the school requirements? Nigerians wake up let face d fact and put our leaders to work rather than supporting and making excuses for them.

ASUU is a body that is expected to comprise of intellects from every section of the country.It is sad and highly disappointing to see ASUU make demands which they are aware that the present Government is practically financially crippled to meet.

I expected ASUU to have pressured the previous Government of Mr Clueless to find a way of settling the enormous debt.

It's no longer news that CRUDE OIL(main source of income for the country) price have dwindled and buyers are not even forthcoming.
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by RobinHez(m): 9:43am On Aug 16, 2017
Both the FG and ASUU should goan die! angry
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by moses93(m): 9:44am On Aug 16, 2017
WhiteSoup:

Yorubas aren't in this alone, we all were decided by the so called APC, and we are all paying the price now. idiotic party, let them come and come and win 2019 make I see.
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Kingdov(m): 9:45am On Aug 16, 2017
MrHistorian:
Garba Shehu has spoken well.

ASUU is a body that is expected to comprise of intellects from every section of the country.It is sad and highly disappointing to see ASUU make demands which they are aware that the present Government is practically financially crippled to meet.

I expected ASUU to have pressured the previous Government of Mr Clueless to find a way of settling the enormous debt.

It's no longer news that CRUDE OIL(main source of income for the country) price have dwindled and buyers are not even forthcoming.

so was the agreement made during mr clueless government? Or what is it with u and hate and the truth...people like u are the reasom these country is not moving forward
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by obailala(m): 9:46am On Aug 16, 2017
Jolar101:

What makes believe that this govt is poorer?
Do you really expect me or any sound persin at all to answer this question?
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Munirboss(m): 9:47am On Aug 16, 2017
Naija!!which way?
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by ExInferis(m): 9:48am On Aug 16, 2017
With the kind of mediocrity universities are churning out, i say ASUU deserves nothing.
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by obailala(m): 9:50am On Aug 16, 2017
Keballl:

Will you shut the eff up. The humongous budget of Aso Rock puts your hypocrisy to shame.

Your presidency is busy budgeting trillions of naira with nothing to show and you are here typing nonsense.

Like I mentioned to someone earlier, it is pure undiluted foolishness for anyone to suggest or even think it that an admin which incurred a debt and couldn't fulfil it was a saintly admin; but the poorer admin which inherited the debt and is struggling to pay is cursed. That's all I have to say, no time to beat about the bush it meaningless rants..
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by CzarChris(m): 9:51am On Aug 16, 2017
From all I have been reading since yesterday, it's clear that this ASUU strike will last for a very very long time.

ASUU went on a 7day warning strike early this year, what stopped the federal government from calling them for negotiations since then? Now you are calling the strike unnecessary?

This APC lead government is a failure. QED!!!
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Keballl: 9:54am On Aug 16, 2017
obailala:
Like I mentioned to someone earlier, it is pure undiluted foolishness for anyone to suggest or even think it that an admin which incurred a debt and couldn't fulfil it was a saintly admin; but the poorer admin which inherited the debt and is struggling to pay is cursed. That's all I have to say, no time to beat about the bush it meaningless rants..

You simply said nothing. Just go ahead and tell us the ASUU staff deserve not to earn what is due to them while the cabals feeds fat in Abuja.

Some of you lack simple conscience
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by 9japrof(m): 9:57am On Aug 16, 2017
captleonerd:
only a fool will believe the FG has spent 30m dollars of buharis health. If u have ti exaggerate try and make use of your brain in the process please

I think I need to school a bigger fool to understand sentences and quit mentioning people until he has a grasp of English language.

Somewhere there, you must have seen that phrase "alledgedly" , go and Google the meaning of that, I need to keep you busy.

Come to think of it, why would you even dispute that figure, when the amount is mentioned, am sure you know it doesn't just involve the direct medical expenses, all logistics, resources spent in conveying the president and his aides are also included. Not to forget that the presidential aircraft that is alledgedly sinking in a whooping 4000 pounds per day lieing fallow in the hanger is also part of the expenses.

Buh hell no, your mind is so wired to worship these thieving politicians whose interests are just for their own benefits while they relegate you to your shithole to live in penury using the little data you have to come defend em online...

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by luvinhubby(m): 9:58am On Aug 16, 2017
MrHistorian:

There is no money to pay ASUU but have $30 million to spend on a sick 75yr old man in London.

Are you fricking serious?
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Ugosample(m): 10:01am On Aug 16, 2017
MrHistorian:

Oh, they are financially crippled right?

And our idiot in chief has spent 101 days abroad, squandering our tax payers money that "a finanxialjy crippled government" is trying to save abi.

You people should continue
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Nobody: 10:01am On Aug 16, 2017
obailala:
Do you really expect me or any sound persin at all to answer this question?
Why not?
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by obailala(m): 10:02am On Aug 16, 2017
Keballl:

You simply said nothing. Just go ahead and tell us the ASUU staff deserve not to earn what is due to them while the cabals feeds fat in Abuja.

Some of you lack simple conscious.
Mr Man, I hate it when people just ramble nonsense without paying attention. Can you point out where I remotely mentioned that ASUU guys dont deserve their money or that the FG shouldnt pay?... Kindly point out where I remotely or directly inferred that from any of my comments on this thread?

I made my point very clear in my last post, I was responding to a clown who claimed GEJ was a saint despite owing ASUU but PMB who inherited the debt but hasnt been able to clear it is the villain. Learn to understand the basis of comments before you proceed to castigate people.
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by obailala(m): 10:02am On Aug 16, 2017
Jolar101:

Why not?
Brcause it is a pointless question not worthy of a response.
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Ugosample(m): 10:06am On Aug 16, 2017
Nbote:
Who did we offend abeg... What sort of hopeless aides did dis govt appoint? What is d business of d special assistant in making such categorical statement? Even if d demands cannot b met shld u com out and categorically say it?

Those of u blaming GEJ simply don't have sense. ASUU and their demands go as far back as OBJ's administration. GEJ inherited same, negotiated with dem and dey agreed on fresh terms. Dats what negotiation does. There has always been and there will always b strike actions but d most important thing is how d govt negotiates with dem. D govt doesn't have to meet their terms but simply agree on a new one with dem. Such statement only shows how insensitive some of these morons are.

Shehu gave an indication that the President Muhammadu Buhari’s government might not be able to meet the huge financial obligation the striking lecturers were demanding since the N850bn debt was more than the total allocation to the Ministry of Education in the 2017 Budget, which he put at N369bn.
Shehu said, “Governments enter into agreements that they can pay for. Ability to pay is a key requirement in going into agreements.

Our Aso clinic's budget is more than dat of our teaching hospitals combined but yet our President has spent more than 150days in total in London for medical treatment..

Don't mind all these Zombies defending this useless government

Wasting so much money on Aso rock clinic that the public officers have no faith in, while the masses suffer.

100+ data receiving treatment and resting in London on the head of Nigeria

At least GEJ had his children in Nigerian schools, all the way, but our saint Buhari and the others have their kids in Uk

Nonsense
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by profudus(m): 10:13am On Aug 16, 2017
Political office holders did not mean well for the educational development of Nigeria because their children will be sent abroad. I can't blame ASUU because the only language the government understands is STRIKE. This government came on board since 2015 and no plan whatsoever has been put forward on how the 800bn will be paid over a period of time. If a tenure is 4 years and two years have gone without any respite in sight then what did you expect from ASUU? A patient dog eats nothing at all in the current Nigeria. If Nigeria can borrow to do less important things, then we can equally borrow to finance education that will bring the great development to us. What is the government doing with excess clude oil revenue? ASUU would not have gone on strike if the government have shown commitment by paying say, 100bn on their own and equally promising to pay the balance over a period. Experience has shown that action is the only thing that can attract government attention and we are reactive in nature.
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by israelmao(m): 10:18am On Aug 16, 2017
WhiteSoup:

"I doesn't..."This is an arrow!
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Comrsaheed: 10:19am On Aug 16, 2017
Articulate Nigerian student & concern patriotic stakeholders! Indeed Mr. Garba Shehu spoke well & as we all know this present administration inherited this agreement but this strike of a thing affect no other person than prolateriat childrens. Where as bourgeois or dominant childrens are schooling in this country. As a result of this, this inconsistence contributed to the relegated, asymmetrical & instability to our education system. Since 2009, 2013 & 2017. Where are we going? Baba GOD come interfere. Long Live Federal Republic Of Nigeria.
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by israelmao(m): 10:21am On Aug 16, 2017
MrHistorian:

If say last administration was clueless this present one should be the most clueless ever in Nigerian history.
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Salas4oru(m): 10:22am On Aug 16, 2017
9jakohai:

To be fair, in 2013....the money looked payable...until oil fell in 2014. That's where issues started.

The real thing is that fees have to go up....or we find N3 trillion now. Just for universites

1.You are a childish bigot.Sorry, but it is the truth.

[b]2.ASUU went on strike twice in GEJ's regime(2012, and 2013)...to get the govt to pay up the N3 trillion agreed in 2009 by Yaradua. GEJ's labour minister finally told them the truth during the second strike in 2013....that govt could not afford N3 trillion, and instead offered N1 trillion over 5 years....which they were able to pay N200bn before oil price falls made that impossible.
(Infact, just to show you how bad things were regarding financing....Governor Wike in 2013 when he was Minsiter of Educaiton signed an agreement with polytechinc lecturers to increase their salaries....an agreement all the parties were happy with. Only for the salaries and wages commision to look at the agreement and tell them that it was impossible to pay such salaries. Back in the good days of GEJ....)

3.At the moment, if we want universities to be adequately funded....we need N3 trillion naira at least. GEJ's last budget was N5 trillion in 2015. This govt is spending N8 trillion this year....much of which is borrowed. Would you agree they spend N5trillion just on universities without even spending on other sectors of education like primary, secondary, polys, colleges of education?

4.Fee rises are inevitable. Infact, fees rose under GEJ's regime in the wake of the new 2013 agreement ASUU signed with govt...simply because VC's realized that the extra money was never coming. And fees may have to go up[/b]

5.Seriously, give up your tribal bigotry. I myself have been deceived and tricked by people of all tribes, and have been helped and treated well by people of all tribes. Losing an election in 2015 is not the end of the world.
people's comments makes me laugh a lot on here. Imagine FG spending 3 trillions on universities and forgetting the other education components. I laugh in mandarin. Our primary education is still the main problem and no one is fighting for them to be funded in trillions. Most of our graduates come our half baked because the primary education system which is the foundation failed. This ASSU thing has really become a menace to our country. They know what's wrong with our education system, let them begin to fight for the right course
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Keballl: 10:27am On Aug 16, 2017
obailala:
Mr Man, I hate it when people just ramble nonsense without paying attention. Can you point out where I remotely mentioned that ASUU guys dont deserve their money or that the FG shouldnt pay?... Kindly point out where I remotely or directly inferred that from any of my comments on this thread?

I made my point very clear in my last post, I was responding to a clown who claimed GEJ was a saint despite owing ASUU but PMB who inherited the debt but hasnt been able to clear it is the villain. Learn to understand the basis of comments before you proceed to castigate people.

You don't need to explicitly mention it. Your undertone gave you away. You can only deceive newbies who don't understand how you operate.

Stop pretending to be objective.
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by NkayTiana(f): 10:28am On Aug 16, 2017
Started from 2009 not with Gej....stop the hate
baylord101:
Gej scammed ASUU, Failed Nigerian.
#TheCluelessManWithoutShoe

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

War In Amassoma, NDU Host Community (Graphic Photos) / Abdulraufu Mustapha Dies After Battling Cancer / Parents Storm Ojodu Grammar school In Search Of Their Children (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.