Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,157 members, 7,821,935 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:09 PM

ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu (26417 Views)

Why FG Is Insisting On IPPIS – ASUU / ‘FG Will Demolish Illegal Higher Institutions’ / ASUU Strike: Why I Support Industrial Action – Senator Shehu Sani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by obailala(m): 2:54pm On Aug 16, 2017
Keballl:

Look ! you can only deceive the gullible folks !This thread is about the nonchallant speech of the Presidential spokesman talking authoritatively over an issue neither the Acting President nor the Minister of education have expressed.

What did you come here to do ? Offcourse try to snidely justify the unnecessary speech by insisting on why the past who "earned 5 times more couldn't upset the cost"

I have asked you to provide verifiable data to the bold above and you have gone mute on that.
Once again, my post on this thread was in response to a clown who labelled PMB a curse for being unable to meet ASUU's demand, but in the same post, the clown claimed GEJ was a saint whom he missed. I simply drew his attention to the fact that even GEJ who earned more actually failed to offset the same ASUU debt.

Mr Keballl, except you are trying to tell me you do not have the basic comprehension skills expected of an adult, I do not understand why you still cannot understand my simple point that my comments on this thread were in direct response to the clown I originally quoted. Even the person I responded to is aware he was only trolling, hence he didn't bother with an argument. What exactly is your own problem?.. Do I need to break your head and pour knowledge into it before you understand simple English?... Please stop spewing nonsense in my mentions...

I have asked you to provide verifiable data to the bold above and you have gone mute on that.
I might not have exact figures regarding how much was made from oil, but my conclusions are based on average oil prices and oil production levels between both administrations which makes it clear that the current admin has earned far far less than what the last admin earned (a very simple logic for anyone who cares to know). Meanwhile you can make your estimates with these 2 reports below which give you an insight into 'possible' figures:
http://sunnewsonline.com/buhari-earns-58bn-in-27-months-to-jonathans-454bn-in-6-years/
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/08/jonathan-nigeria-earned-n51trillion-crude-oil/
I know you may claim the reported figures are fake, but they were never disputed by anyone. You can kindly give us you own figures too if you think these ones are fake.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by bahaushe1: 6:47pm On Aug 16, 2017
baylord101:
Gej scammed ASUU, Failed Nigerian.
#TheCluelessManWithoutShoe

PMB failed Nigerians. Atleast GEJ released 200b NGN in 2013 for Universities revitalisation and other 30b NGN as earned academic allowances. PMB is yet to release a penny.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by bahaushe1: 7:33pm On Aug 16, 2017
MrHistorian:
Garba Shehu has spoken well.

ASUU is a body that is expected to comprise of intellects from every section of the country.It is sad and highly disappointing to see ASUU make demands which they are aware that the present Government is practically financially crippled to meet.

I expected ASUU to have pressured the previous Government of Mr Clueless to find a way of settling the enormous debt.

It's no longer news that CRUDE OIL(main source of income for the country) price have dwindled and buyers are not even forthcoming.

Shehu Garba is ignorant of the issues raised by ASUU. Of the 8 issues raised he chose only 2 for propaganda. Let him get educated before embrassing himself in public.
The 825b NGN is arrears of University revitalisation funds. In 2013, following pressure from ASUU, FGN set up a need assessment team to look at state of infrastructure in Nigeria Universities. It is the report of this committee that let to the 2013 MoU which stipulates that FGN will inject 1.3tr NGN over 6 years beginning from 2013 to develop infrastructure in Nigerian Universities. The money is to be released in tranches, 220b NGN yearly. GEJ released 200b NGN in 2013. PMB failed to release 220b NGN in 2015, 2016, and 2017. So, out of the arrears of 825b NGN, PMB's government accumulated 660b NGN.
Earned academic allowances
These are allowances payable to lecturers for performing duties considered as been out of their normal duties as lecturers. It is supposed to be calculated and paid at the end of every academic session. GEJ's government paid 30b NGN in 2013 but PMB's government paid nothing so far.
Shortfall in personnel cost
Since December, 2015, Universities have been experiencing shortfall in personnel cost forcing some to be paying fractional salaries while others take bank loans to be able to pay full salary.
Registration of ASUU's pension funds administrator.
Failure of pension commission to register ASUU's pension funds administrator despite meeting the criteria set by the commission.
Refusal of FGN to pay salaries of Universities staff schools despite a court order to that effect.
Refusal of FGN to issue enabling circular for pension of academics that retire on Professorial cadre.
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by bahaushe1: 7:37pm On Aug 16, 2017
Skillbobralph:
And these same people were the one shouting and condemning ASUU strikes during Jonathan and PDP regime. APC is the worst thing to have happened to Nigeria...
And GEJ paid 230b NGN while PMB paid nothing so far.
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by bahaushe1: 7:50pm On Aug 16, 2017
9jakohai:

To be fair, in 2013....the money looked payable...until oil fell in 2014. That's where issues started.

The real thing is that fees have to go up....or we find N3 trillion now. Just for universites

1.You are a childish bigot.Sorry, but it is the truth.

[b]2.ASUU went on strike twice in GEJ's regime(2012, and 2013)...to get the govt to pay up the N3 trillion agreed in 2009 by Yaradua. GEJ's labour minister finally told them the truth during the second strike in 2013....that govt could not afford N3 trillion, and instead offered N1 trillion over 5 years....which they were able to pay N200bn before oil price falls made that impossible.
(Infact, just to show you how bad things were regarding financing....Governor Wike in 2013 when he was Minsiter of Educaiton signed an agreement with polytechinc lecturers to increase their salaries....an agreement all the parties were happy with. Only for the salaries and wages commision to look at the agreement and tell them that it was impossible to pay such salaries. Back in the good days of GEJ....)

3.At the moment, if we want universities to be adequately funded....we need N3 trillion naira at least. GEJ's last budget was N5 trillion in 2015. This govt is spending N8 trillion this year....much of which is borrowed. Would you agree they spend N5trillion just on universities without even spending on other sectors of education like primary, secondary, polys, colleges of education?

4.Fee rises are inevitable. Infact, fees rose under GEJ's regime in the wake of the new 2013 agreement ASUU signed with govt...simply because VC's realized that the extra money was never coming. And fees may have to go up[/b]

5.Seriously, give up your tribal bigotry. I myself have been deceived and tricked by people of all tribes, and have been helped and treated well by people of all tribes. Losing an election in 2015 is not the end of the world.

200b NGN yearly is not something to complain about. It accumulated to 800b NGN because FGN failed to release anything in 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017.
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by bahaushe1: 7:53pm On Aug 16, 2017
Eneze1:
It is obvious the present Government cannot meet this demand due to present economic situation of the country. ASUU needs to re-think this strike action embarked upon

They had a chance of paying 200b NGN in 2015, 2016, and 2017 but failed to. They also failed to call to renogotiate the yearly 200b NGN.
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by bahaushe1: 8:48pm On Aug 16, 2017
obailala:
Who is the bigger curse?...

GEJ who got deceived by ASUU to make an impossible promise to ASUU but ended up not fulfilling a single part of the promise despite the fact that his government earned over 5 times more than Buhari and also spent twice the time in Aso Rock than Buhari... GEJ is a saint whom you miss but you think Buhari who inherited the N850billion debt from GEJ and is struggling to clear it in this time of low finances is the cursed one in this matter?

Some of these Jonathanians, e be like say una get migraine. undecided

660B NGN out of that 850b NGN accumulated under PMB's government.
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by bahaushe1: 9:04pm On Aug 16, 2017
FakoMaybach1:
some Nairalanders especially those from the south west are very mischievous, This agreement was signed for 1 trillion or so by GEJ, GEJ paid 250 billion, what was required was for the money to be paid in installments.

The united nations advised every country to make provisions of 25% of their budget to education, but because the Yorubas voted a man who had no waec, a man who sees the building of 16 alimajiri schools and federal universities in every state as "Nothing to show"; That same man budgeted a paltry 300 billion for education, his kitchen plus aso rock budget is higher than that amount.

ASUU is not asking for the 800 billion to be paid at once, at least put something tangible down, if 300 billion is paid and ASUU is still striking then we know they are wrong.

The 800 billion is not on salaries alone; hell salary sef is not up to 40% of that money..capital expenditure for infrastructure is what makes up the bulk of the cash, ASUU is fighting for our children. But u come on Nairaland and yab ASUU. God who sees all will surely punish you.

two years down the line Buhari has not made any tangible investment in education, a man that believes women shud be in the kitchen and other room Woe unto the south-west Nigeria, for u have made ur heart a dwelling place of maggots

The whole of that 850b NGN is for Universities revitalisation. It is not meant for ASUU members. It is meant to be released as 220b NGN every year. What belongs to ASUU members is Earned Academic Allowances which is less 200b NGN and is not part of that 850b NGN.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by bahaushe1: 9:16pm On Aug 16, 2017
obailala:
Remain focused on the topic, we are talking of an ASUU debt of N850billion, an amount which was negotiated by GEJ but but which he failed to fulfil its payment.

Yes! govt is a continuum and the current government never mentioned anywhere that it isnt going to pay the debt. But no matter how you try to twist it, it is pure foolishness for anyone to think that the very much richer govt which incurred the debt was a saintly govt, while the much poorer govt which inherited and is struggling to clear the debt is a curse. That is the basis of my previous comment..Pure foolishness..

It isnt ASUU debt. It is meant for Universities revitalisation. 220b NGN was to be paid into the account every year. GEJ paid 200b NGN in 2013, failed to pay anything in 2014. PMB failed to pay anything in 2015, 2016, and 2017. SO, PMB's government is responsible for 660b NGN out of that 850b NGN.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by obailala(m): 10:50pm On Aug 16, 2017
bahaushe1:

It isnt ASUU debt. It is meant for Universities revitalisation. 220b NGN was to be paid into the account every year. GEJ paid 200b NGN in 2013, failed to pay anything in 2014. PMB failed to pay anything in 2015, 2016, and 2017. SO, PMB's government is responsible for 660b NGN out of that 850b NGN.
Thanks for the clarification; but let's not forget that GEJ drafted the budget in 2015.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Nobody: 4:04pm On Aug 17, 2017
obailala:
Brcause it is a pointless question not worthy of a response.

Truths are hard to speaks.
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by obailala(m): 5:31pm On Aug 17, 2017
Jolar101:

Truths are hard to speaks.
You should have told me earlier that you were only a comic troll. Then I would have properly understood the motive behind that your question.
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Nobody: 5:39pm On Aug 17, 2017
obailala:
You should have told me earlier that you were only a comic troll. Then I would have properly understood the motive behind that your question.
What makes you believing that this government is a poorest government in the history of Nigeria?
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by obailala(m): 7:12pm On Aug 17, 2017
Jolar101:

What makes you believing that this government is a poorest government in the history of Nigeria?
Mr Man, the only reason I am still responding to you is because I am assuming you are just trolling and trying to be funny. We were comparing the last admin and the current admin and you asked what makes me think the current admin is poorer. Once again, I do not have an answer to that your question so please take the question elsewhere, maybe you can take the question to a primary 2 class, I'm sure you would get an answer there...
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Nobody: 10:37pm On Aug 17, 2017
obailala:
Mr Man, the only reason I am still responding to you is because I am assuming you are just trolling and trying to be funny. We were comparing the last admin and the current admin and you asked what makes me think the current admin is poorer. Once again, I do not have an answer to that your question so please take the question elsewhere, maybe you can take the question to a primary 2 class, I'm sure you would get an answer there...
Well, I will let you be, but, don't forget that president Buhari is also a looter and a pretender.

Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by august2224(m): 7:46am On Aug 18, 2017
MrHistorian:
Garba Shehu has spoken well.

ASUU is a body that is expected to comprise of intellects from every section of the country.It is sad and highly disappointing to see ASUU make demands which they are aware that the present Government is practically financially crippled to meet.

I expected ASUU to have pressured the previous Government of Mr Clueless to find a way of settling the enormous debt.

It's no longer news that CRUDE OIL(main source of income for the country) price have dwindled and buyers are not even forthcoming.

let me take it point by point
ASUU comprises of intellectuals, that s true

ASUU knows that the government can meet this demand, after all, some members of ASUU are consultants to the federal government on financial issues.

the price of crude oil is dwindling, but our senators and house of rep members are busy ordering cars in billions for oversight functions (cars which the already have).
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by obailala(m): 8:11am On Aug 18, 2017
Jolar101:

Well, I will let you be, but, don't forget that president Buhari is also a looter and a pretender.
So that's the message you've been desperate to pass all along?.. Okay I've heard you, but that doesnt change the fact that he's far less of a looter than all his recent predecessors.
Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by Nobody: 12:26pm On Aug 18, 2017
obailala:
he's far less of a looter than all his recent predecessors.

Any country's leader using his/her country's taxpayers money for foreign medical health care, he/she is corrupt. No single government medical facilities is 5% functioning. Before your president and his APC party came to government, they promised that "No Government Officials Will Seek Foreign Medical Care, No Government Officials Will Send Their Kids and Wards to Foreign Education."

Yet, president Buhari is the one who is breaking the rules. APC and Buhari are the worst lying regime.

Re: ASUU Strike: Why FG Will Not Meet Lecturers’ Demands – Garba Shehu by obailala(m): 12:57pm On Aug 18, 2017
Jolar101:

Any country's leader using his/her country's taxpayers money for foreign medical health care, he/she is corrupt. No single government medical facilities is 5% functioning. Before your president and his APC party came to government, they promised that "No Government Officials Will Seek Foreign Medical Care, No Government Officials Will Send Their Kids and Wards to Foreign Education."

Yet, president Buhari is the one who is breaking the rules. APC and Buhari are the worst lying regime.
Mr, go learn the real meaning of the word corruption and quit this misdirected wailing.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Accounting Degree Vs Accounting Education Degree / War In Amassoma, NDU Host Community (Graphic Photos) / Abdulraufu Mustapha Dies After Battling Cancer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.